Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plenty of possession with little end product 08:33 - Mar 3 with 3228 viewsGlasgowBlue

The thing that frustrated me most on Saturday, and other games I’ve been to, is that we fail to get the ball into the box.

We play the ball about nicely in midfield, get to the edge of the opposition box and rather than putting in a cross we go backwards and start again.

Really frustrating.

Also, when we do attack we don’t have many players in their box which again causes the attack to break down.

When the opposition attack they have players in our box and they put our defenders under pressure. We rarely do this.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 8:39]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Plenty of possession with little end product on 08:37 - Mar 3 with 2742 viewsChrisd

We pass in parts of the pitch that don't hurt teams and our opponents allow us to have it in those areas. We aren't brave enough on the ball when we go forwards, move the ball slowly and we lack pace through-out the side so when we break invariably we come backwards because there's not many other Town players up in support. This then allows the opposition to get back in their defensive position and any attacking impetus is lost. It was the same last season too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Plenty of possession with little end product on 08:51 - Mar 3 with 2702 viewsUB9Blue

Plenty of possession with little end product on 08:37 - Mar 3 by Chrisd

We pass in parts of the pitch that don't hurt teams and our opponents allow us to have it in those areas. We aren't brave enough on the ball when we go forwards, move the ball slowly and we lack pace through-out the side so when we break invariably we come backwards because there's not many other Town players up in support. This then allows the opposition to get back in their defensive position and any attacking impetus is lost. It was the same last season too.

Whilst watching Coventry v Sunderland on Sunday, I am sure one of the commentators said that us and Oxford have had most possession in the league this season? I might have miss heard them but I think thats what they said.
Plenty of possession with little end product on 08:55 - Mar 3 with 2687 viewsHerbivore

Plenty of possession with little end product on 08:51 - Mar 3 by UB9Blue

Whilst watching Coventry v Sunderland on Sunday, I am sure one of the commentators said that us and Oxford have had most possession in the league this season? I might have miss heard them but I think thats what they said.

No, that's correct. I heard that too. We have plenty of possession but it mostly goes sideways whilst teams sit off us and defend in numbers. We really don't create much, certainly very few clear cut chances.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Plenty of possession with little end product on 09:01 - Mar 3 with 2668 viewsclive_baker

This is entirely it. It’s a myth that we’re playing nice football. We knock routine passes around in the 1st and 2nd third of the pitch which results in high possession stats, but we don’t tend to attack with any real intensity or potency, and generally we create few clear cut chances. Our narrow midfield means we lack width in attacking areas, and our biggest threat up front in Jackson is having to play with his back to goal for too much of the game as a result, and do all of the running in channels. We’re very easy to play against in that respect. Ideally we would be more threatening in a 4-4-2 but with a left winger at right back, the likes of Wilson centrally, and no left back you can truly hang your hat on at this stage I’m not convinced that’s the right approach. We really need KVY back. Personally I would give Kenlock a chance at left back, with Woolfy & Chambers centrally.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Plenty of possession with little end product on 09:06 - Mar 3 with 2655 viewsHerbivore

Plenty of possession with little end product on 09:01 - Mar 3 by clive_baker

This is entirely it. It’s a myth that we’re playing nice football. We knock routine passes around in the 1st and 2nd third of the pitch which results in high possession stats, but we don’t tend to attack with any real intensity or potency, and generally we create few clear cut chances. Our narrow midfield means we lack width in attacking areas, and our biggest threat up front in Jackson is having to play with his back to goal for too much of the game as a result, and do all of the running in channels. We’re very easy to play against in that respect. Ideally we would be more threatening in a 4-4-2 but with a left winger at right back, the likes of Wilson centrally, and no left back you can truly hang your hat on at this stage I’m not convinced that’s the right approach. We really need KVY back. Personally I would give Kenlock a chance at left back, with Woolfy & Chambers centrally.

I think Earl would do fine at left back to be fair. He seemed to want to play there for the second goal on Saturday.

Plenty of possession with little end product on 09:10 - Mar 3 with 2637 viewsGlasgowBlue

Plenty of possession with little end product on 08:55 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

No, that's correct. I heard that too. We have plenty of possession but it mostly goes sideways whilst teams sit off us and defend in numbers. We really don't create much, certainly very few clear cut chances.

I just wish that occasionally one our our wide players would hoof the ball into the opposition box fir somebody to get in the end of.

I lost count if how many tines we found ourselves in possession just wide of their box where we played shirt pass after short pass between three players before passing it back to the midfield.

We don’t out defenders under pressure and I can’t see why that sort of pressure wouldn’t panic league one defenders in the same way it does ours,

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Plenty of possession with little end product on 09:15 - Mar 3 with 2619 viewsHerbivore

Plenty of possession with little end product on 09:10 - Mar 3 by GlasgowBlue

I just wish that occasionally one our our wide players would hoof the ball into the opposition box fir somebody to get in the end of.

I lost count if how many tines we found ourselves in possession just wide of their box where we played shirt pass after short pass between three players before passing it back to the midfield.

We don’t out defenders under pressure and I can’t see why that sort of pressure wouldn’t panic league one defenders in the same way it does ours,

We rarely score from crosses from out wide. It's usually more one of the forwards cutting it back across from an inside wide channel. Saying that, we don't really play with wide players or anyone who would attack a cross.

Plenty of possession with little end product on 09:43 - Mar 3 with 2559 viewsitfcjoe

When you look back at some of our better performances then you see the things we all want - higher tempo, pressing, doing things early - which has led to early goals and being able to play the game at our pace.

I know it sounds simplistic, but when Lambert is up for it on the touchline he drags the team with him - too often he is just standing there and looking lost. It may be a bit chicken and egg, but he needs to be fired u all game on the side of the pitch and kicking every ball

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Plenty of possession with little end product on 09:46 - Mar 3 with 2555 viewsSomethingBlue

We don't have enough pace in the side, Jackson apart, and it's why KVY's injury has been such a big blow. Our centre midfielders also don't gamble enough on runs into the area, as you suggest. I look back at Nolan's very nice goal at MK Dons and struggle to recall him getting into a single other position to do it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Plenty of possession with little end product on 10:02 - Mar 3 with 2521 viewsthebooks

I think this is the single biggest problem with Lambert’s “passing style” of football. I’d say we even struggle to get the ball into midfield a lot of the time — too often it goes across the back line to the full/wing back and then it’s lost or hoofed into a corner.

We plod around too much. We’re static. We tended to look better when we were chasing a winner/equaliser because we had to be more direct, but we’ve even lost that ability.
Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:13 - Mar 3 with 2447 viewsIllinoisblue

We have a plodding and pedestrian midfield. Crying out for Dozzell’s creativity.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:20 - Mar 3 with 2423 viewsSwansea_Blue

All comes from the training pitch, coaches and manager that does.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:27 - Mar 3 with 2422 viewsitfcjoe

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:13 - Mar 3 by Illinoisblue

We have a plodding and pedestrian midfield. Crying out for Dozzell’s creativity.

He's gone - not played a minute of league football since the turn of the year and not even on the bench on Saturday

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:32 - Mar 3 with 2397 viewsPJH

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:27 - Mar 3 by itfcjoe

He's gone - not played a minute of league football since the turn of the year and not even on the bench on Saturday

It looks like Doz is finished here doesn't it?

If we are still in the third division next season then at least four of our "bright future" are not likely to be there with us-Dozzell, Downes, Woolfenden and probably Dobra.
Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:33 - Mar 3 with 2393 viewsHerbivore

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:32 - Mar 3 by PJH

It looks like Doz is finished here doesn't it?

If we are still in the third division next season then at least four of our "bright future" are not likely to be there with us-Dozzell, Downes, Woolfenden and probably Dobra.

We'll have the boy Nydam coming back at least. I'm a big fan of his, he didn't look out of place in a run of games in a 12th placed Championship side.

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:38 - Mar 3 with 2381 viewsDarth_Koont

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:33 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

We'll have the boy Nydam coming back at least. I'm a big fan of his, he didn't look out of place in a run of games in a 12th placed Championship side.

Indeed. Hard to stretch our minds back to two years ago but he even looked the slightly better prospect out of him and Downes. Certainly as good as Downes, anyway.

He also might be the long-term answer to Garbutt on the left as an LM or LWB. Different sort of player (and we'll miss Garbutt's delivery) but his bustle and how he liked to inject tempo were very good even as a teenager in the Championship.

Pronouns: He/Him

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:41 - Mar 3 with 2373 viewsHerbivore

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:38 - Mar 3 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. Hard to stretch our minds back to two years ago but he even looked the slightly better prospect out of him and Downes. Certainly as good as Downes, anyway.

He also might be the long-term answer to Garbutt on the left as an LM or LWB. Different sort of player (and we'll miss Garbutt's delivery) but his bustle and how he liked to inject tempo were very good even as a teenager in the Championship.

It was telling that Downes was the one allowed out on loan whilst Nydam stayed and played a decent number of games. He was seen as more first team ready at the time even though I think he's a touch younger? He's not necessarily flash but he's good on the ball and has a good engine and doesn't seem phased by playing proper football. It's a shame Hurst wasted a year of his career essentially but there we go, he's young enough to bounce back.

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:49 - Mar 3 with 2358 viewsSomethingBlue

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:41 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

It was telling that Downes was the one allowed out on loan whilst Nydam stayed and played a decent number of games. He was seen as more first team ready at the time even though I think he's a touch younger? He's not necessarily flash but he's good on the ball and has a good engine and doesn't seem phased by playing proper football. It's a shame Hurst wasted a year of his career essentially but there we go, he's young enough to bounce back.

I think it was more that Downes needed a bit of headspace somewhere else for a bit tbh, but I do agree re Nydam. He could be good for us next season as long as the injury hasn't done too much to his mobility. Challenge now is to find out exactly *what* he is and where he should play.

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:53 - Mar 3 with 2337 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s criminal

62 - 78 - 81

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:54 - Mar 3 with 2337 viewsHerbivore

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:49 - Mar 3 by SomethingBlue

I think it was more that Downes needed a bit of headspace somewhere else for a bit tbh, but I do agree re Nydam. He could be good for us next season as long as the injury hasn't done too much to his mobility. Challenge now is to find out exactly *what* he is and where he should play.

Yes, but I think that mental side is all part of it. Downes was struggling after his breakthrough whereas Nydam just took it in his stride. At the time he was more Championshop ready than Downes I would say, although Downes has clearly now overtaken him and that loan was the making of him in many ways.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 11:54]

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:54 - Mar 3 with 2334 viewsSomethingBlue

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:53 - Mar 3 by Illinoisblue

It’s criminal

There is absolutely no doubt that he will leave and do well at one of the many clubs we used to have a massive advantage over that have now outstripped us comprehensively.

Plenty of possession with little end product on 12:34 - Mar 3 with 2264 viewsIllinoisblue

Plenty of possession with little end product on 11:54 - Mar 3 by SomethingBlue

There is absolutely no doubt that he will leave and do well at one of the many clubs we used to have a massive advantage over that have now outstripped us comprehensively.

It is sickening. Obviously we don’t see what happens in training but I cannot fathom how he hasn’t been given more of a chance.

A wretched season and we may not have rock bottom yet. The summer could be even more depressing

62 - 78 - 81

Plenty of possession with little end product on 12:37 - Mar 3 with 2244 viewsHerbivore

Plenty of possession with little end product on 12:34 - Mar 3 by Illinoisblue

It is sickening. Obviously we don’t see what happens in training but I cannot fathom how he hasn’t been given more of a chance.

A wretched season and we may not have rock bottom yet. The summer could be even more depressing

I'm quite looking forward to the summer, at least I won't have to watch us play football for a few months.

Plenty of possession with little end product on 12:46 - Mar 3 with 2204 viewsLeaky

Was going to make the same point especially last Saturday at Blackpool
Plenty of possession with little end product on 13:00 - Mar 3 with 2178 viewsPhilTWTD

Wouldn't be so sure about that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024