Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone thinking of travelling? 08:18 - Mar 10 with 4746 viewsitfcjoe

And taking advantage of cheap travel due to the virus - seen return flights to NYC for little over £200.

I have a very cheap family holiday booked next week, wondering if worth going somewhere better.....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:20 - Mar 10 with 2458 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Not sure I’d take the risk with kids but otherwise I’d definitely be doing it.
Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:23 - Mar 10 with 2440 viewsbluelagos

Leaving the environmental aspects aside for a minute, travel to nice destination on the cheap for a couple of weeks. CV gets worse in your destination. Flights home get stopped and/or you get forced to quarantine on your return.

Enough uncertainty to holiday at home I reckon.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:23 - Mar 10 with 2433 viewshatch

I'll be honest, I went in January for a similar price to that. NYC is one of the cheapest long-haul destinations in terms of flight price, probably due to the volume of traffic and competition.

And I've seen too many of my friends quarantined after visiting Northern Italy. My brother-in-law is skiing near Turin and has been told the ski lifts are switched off today and they're trying to fly them home. I know you're not suggesting booking a flight to Italy but I do think it is probably best to be cautious unless booking for somewhere in the next few weeks which carries a low/moderate risk.
Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:27 - Mar 10 with 2412 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:20 - Mar 10 by PrideOfTheEast

Yep, Mrs itfcjoe not keen at the moment so not sure it is a goer

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:29 - Mar 10 with 2402 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:23 - Mar 10 by bluelagos

Leaving the environmental aspects aside for a minute, travel to nice destination on the cheap for a couple of weeks. CV gets worse in your destination. Flights home get stopped and/or you get forced to quarantine on your return.

I could handle an extra week or two in a nice destination! Also basically self-isolate for work as it is so not too worried about that aspect

But being ill, with 2 young children is the killer for me as wouldn't want that to happen

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:31 - Mar 10 with 2386 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:20 - Mar 10 by PrideOfTheEast

Kids are actually a cohort who are very mildly affected by Covid19.

I'm supposed to be going to New England in 4 weeks, been booked for 6 months at least. We will see.

I'm not sure I'd be looking to take advantage of cheap deals though, one could unwittingly be spreading.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:35 - Mar 10 with 2363 viewsbluelagos

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:29 - Mar 10 by itfcjoe

I could handle an extra week or two in a nice destination! Also basically self-isolate for work as it is so not too worried about that aspect

But being ill, with 2 young children is the killer for me as wouldn't want that to happen

I dont wish to be overly gloomy, but I think tourism is going to take a proper hit in the next couple of months.

Thats both brits holidaying away less and fewer visitors to the Uk. My Sept motorbike trip already impacted after the MotoGP was moved. We are going for 8 days now instead of 10. A small change but they all add up...

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:40 - Mar 10 with 2334 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:31 - Mar 10 by StokieBlue

Kids are actually a cohort who are very mildly affected by Covid19.

I'm supposed to be going to New England in 4 weeks, been booked for 6 months at least. We will see.

I'm not sure I'd be looking to take advantage of cheap deals though, one could unwittingly be spreading.

SB

I meant more that I wouldn’t want to be stuck somewhere with them.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:43 - Mar 10 with 2311 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Returns to Perth were available for as little as £650 when I looked the other day...

Package operators haven’t really dropped their prices as yet apart from last minute deals though - so anyone looking for one of those is better off waiting

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:45 - Mar 10 with 2312 viewsChiefXL

Or an alternative scenario is you take advantage of the cheap flight, catch Coronavirus and unwittingly pass on the virus to a friend, colleague or even stranger with underlying health conditions before you know you've even caught it yourself?
Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:47 - Mar 10 with 2295 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:45 - Mar 10 by ChiefXL

Or an alternative scenario is you take advantage of the cheap flight, catch Coronavirus and unwittingly pass on the virus to a friend, colleague or even stranger with underlying health conditions before you know you've even caught it yourself?

Exactly.

Seems a tad selfish to be taking advantage of cheap offers that have come about due to government's trying to contain the outbreak.

A bit of passing on the problem to other people.

Although there is an argument to say one might be just as likely to catch it in the UK.

SB
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 8:47]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:47 - Mar 10 with 2293 viewsbluelagos

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:23 - Mar 10 by bluelagos

Another issue, (for me) is my old man is definitely vulnerable and it would be a nightmare if I was away and unable to get back easily, should he fall ill or worse.

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:52 - Mar 10 with 2254 viewsChiefXL

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:47 - Mar 10 by StokieBlue

Exactly.

Seems a tad selfish to be taking advantage of cheap offers that have come about due to government's trying to contain the outbreak.

A bit of passing on the problem to other people.

Although there is an argument to say one might be just as likely to catch it in the UK.

SB
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 8:47]

Very true, but at this time I would suggest avoiding any mass transit system is the sensible move.

There is a reason businesses around the country are banning travel, as that increases the risk of contracting the virus significantly.

*edited to correct my poor use of English
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 8:53]
Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:54 - Mar 10 with 2238 viewsGuthrum

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:52 - Mar 10 by ChiefXL

Very true, but at this time I would suggest avoiding any mass transit system is the sensible move.

There is a reason businesses around the country are banning travel, as that increases the risk of contracting the virus significantly.

*edited to correct my poor use of English
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 8:53]

Moreover, travel carries the risk of transporting the illness (or more dangerous strains thereof) to new areas which might previously have been clear or where it was contained.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 8:55]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:56 - Mar 10 with 2226 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:47 - Mar 10 by bluelagos

Another issue, (for me) is my old man is definitely vulnerable and it would be a nightmare if I was away and unable to get back easily, should he fall ill or worse.

Me and Miss Slave work for heaps of olds between us. It is amazing how gardening becomes basic care work over time....driving, shopping, internet help, bill paying, prescriptions....with the number of well heeled kids currently at Juniors school that recently returned from Italian hols it I'd already difficult deciding what it is best to do!! Especially after she sputtered over me this morning!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:58 - Mar 10 with 2207 viewshampstead_blue

I wish.
My middle son is home for ten days at the end of the month. He's about to get posted to 2 Para in Colly.

We fancied going away but the virus thing has nipped that in the bud.

Have a great trip.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:59 - Mar 10 with 2212 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:54 - Mar 10 by Guthrum

Moreover, travel carries the risk of transporting the illness (or more dangerous strains thereof) to new areas which might previously have been clear or where it was contained.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 8:55]

Even shirt travel is now being something I’m having second thoughts about.

My Gran is 100 at the end of the month and I was going to fly down fir a visit and catch the Pompey game at the same time.

But I’d hate to be the carrier who gives it to her. Worryingly, at her age and vulnerability, I’m not sure I’ll ever see her again if this virus takes hold.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:00 - Mar 10 with 2202 viewsGuthrum

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:56 - Mar 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Me and Miss Slave work for heaps of olds between us. It is amazing how gardening becomes basic care work over time....driving, shopping, internet help, bill paying, prescriptions....with the number of well heeled kids currently at Juniors school that recently returned from Italian hols it I'd already difficult deciding what it is best to do!! Especially after she sputtered over me this morning!

Yes. I have several older customers, too, plus others who have travelled or who have links to affected places. Making me think hard about the risks to them.

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:01 - Mar 10 with 2194 viewsGuthrum

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:59 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

My Gran is 100 at the end of the month and I was going to fly down fir a visit and catch the Pompey game at the same time.

But I’d hate to be the carrier who gives it to her. Worryingly, at her age and vulnerability, I’m not sure I’ll ever see her again if this virus takes hold.

Will admit to having had troubling thoughts about going to see my mother (in her eighties) last week.

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:03 - Mar 10 with 2187 viewshomer_123

Tough one, on the one had a good opportunity to travel somewhere for less but....given we are trying to minimise/dampen the spread of Covid-19 - might not be the best idea - also....I'll be honest....(not a dig Joe) but from a personal perspective, I'm looking to limit/ stop the amount of plane travel now.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:06 - Mar 10 with 2167 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:00 - Mar 10 by Guthrum

Yes. I have several older customers, too, plus others who have travelled or who have links to affected places. Making me think hard about the risks to them.

Luckily the hedgerows are producing early this year....so something to eat and Spring tonics too in the absence of any income. Hopefully my feudal landlord will be kind.

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:08 - Mar 10 with 2158 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 08:59 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

Take some time off.....drive maybe and see her....stuff the football!

Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:08 - Mar 10 with 2161 viewsPippin1970

In two weeks time just say visiting relatives or friends in cities such as London, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow will have it's own problems.
Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:09 - Mar 10 with 2151 viewsnorth_stand77

Supposed to be going to Egypt next week. As it stands, everything is still going ahead on the operator and government advice. If we pull out, we lose the cost of the holiday.
If the operator or government issue a ban, we may be able to claim some or all of the cost of the holiday back.

Insurance companies are also going to be put in a precarious position if there are more bans placed on travel and they have massive layouts.

Just got to wait and see.
Anyone thinking of travelling? on 09:11 - Mar 10 with 2144 viewsPinewoodblue

Plenty of cheap cruises available. Had email last week repositioning cruise from Miami to Southampton, Italian cruise ship, price was under £700 per person, and that included flight from UK to Miami, two nights in hotel, 18 night cruise visiting Nassau, New York, Boston , Azures and Porto. Free WiFi and drinks package.

What could possibly go wrong?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024