Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CD racks- railing against the world 18:49 - Jul 15 with 2343 viewssparks

This sums up modern Britain for me.

I am doing some reorganising. Bought a really solid, quick and economical shelving system from shelfstore (recommended). Now wondering what to do with my home made bookcases which are looking a bit tatty, but in part house my cd collection, and provide a surface for stacking some effective old cd racks.

So I thought I would look online for some new wall mounted cd racks.

The vast majority are poncey diagonal things, or little black shelves with room for about 6 cds in each of 5 little sections. Or ones which just allow you to stack half a dozen in various fancy positions on a wall. They are made for poseurs and people who want to pretend they know about music when they really dont- so just want to display a few cds.

Can't find anything that is actually practical for someone who actually likes music and has more than a few Snow patrol albums to show off to their visitors.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

CD racks- railing against the world on 18:56 - Jul 15 with 1350 viewsSpruceMoose

It's almost like CDs stopped being a thing about fifteen years ago! But I do sympathise. I'm having one hell of a time trying to find a display case for my daguerreotype collection.

My collection really helps me stand out as an aficionado of photographic processes, far superior to all these chumps using SLRs, Polaroids, DSLRs, iPhones and other such advanced technologies!
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 18:59]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

CD racks- railing against the world on 18:57 - Jul 15 with 1342 viewsShawsey

Why do you need to show off your cd collection? I have 100s, but they are in a box under the spare bed. They don't look good in a rack, very 90s.
CD racks- railing against the world on 18:59 - Jul 15 with 1330 viewssparks

CD racks- railing against the world on 18:56 - Jul 15 by SpruceMoose

It's almost like CDs stopped being a thing about fifteen years ago! But I do sympathise. I'm having one hell of a time trying to find a display case for my daguerreotype collection.

My collection really helps me stand out as an aficionado of photographic processes, far superior to all these chumps using SLRs, Polaroids, DSLRs, iPhones and other such advanced technologies!
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 18:59]

Well that is a connected issue.

People listening to low quality electronic mp3s on phones. And relying on a connection and the continued goodwill of large corporations for access to their music. Or alternatively stealing all their music. Or simply sticking two fingers up at their favourite artists by means of subscribing to spotify et al such that the people making the music get paid a pittance unless they are Taylor Swift.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:00 - Jul 15 with 1327 viewssparks

CD racks- railing against the world on 18:57 - Jul 15 by Shawsey

Why do you need to show off your cd collection? I have 100s, but they are in a box under the spare bed. They don't look good in a rack, very 90s.

I dont need to show anything off. I need practical accessible storage.

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:02 - Jul 15 with 1309 viewsSpruceMoose

CD racks- railing against the world on 18:59 - Jul 15 by sparks

Well that is a connected issue.

People listening to low quality electronic mp3s on phones. And relying on a connection and the continued goodwill of large corporations for access to their music. Or alternatively stealing all their music. Or simply sticking two fingers up at their favourite artists by means of subscribing to spotify et al such that the people making the music get paid a pittance unless they are Taylor Swift.

At your age your hearing is likely to be too knackered to hear any kind of difference anyway to be honest! It's just something people like to tell themselves.

As for digital media, pah! Everyone knows the Britannia Music Club is the only way genuinely knowledgeable people access new music.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:03 - Jul 15 with 1304 viewssparks

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:02 - Jul 15 by SpruceMoose

At your age your hearing is likely to be too knackered to hear any kind of difference anyway to be honest! It's just something people like to tell themselves.

As for digital media, pah! Everyone knows the Britannia Music Club is the only way genuinely knowledgeable people access new music.

I take care of my hearing.

I carry around special music listening ear plugs on my key ring.

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:04 - Jul 15 with 1303 viewsSpruceMoose

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:00 - Jul 15 by sparks

I have to say, you've given me a right old chuckle here, so thank you!

I'm sick of going over to the houses of friends and them being all like "Here Sprucey, check out this Snow Patrol CD I've got displayed in this vintage MFI CD rack! Cool AF eh?!"

What bozos!

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:06 - Jul 15 with 1291 viewsSpruceMoose

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:03 - Jul 15 by sparks

I take care of my hearing.

I carry around special music listening ear plugs on my key ring.

I can't tell if you're trolling me here...

Do you ever pop them in on the sly when Ms Bully is giving you a bit of the old ear ache?

Login to get fewer ads

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:07 - Jul 15 with 1287 viewsShawsey

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:00 - Jul 15 by sparks

Quick look on Amazon and saw maybe 5 or 6 that would be suitable for you. The storage case was very good. Holds 120 cds. half way down page 1.
CD racks- railing against the world on 19:08 - Jul 15 with 1284 viewssparks

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:04 - Jul 15 by SpruceMoose

I have to say, you've given me a right old chuckle here, so thank you!

I'm sick of going over to the houses of friends and them being all like "Here Sprucey, check out this Snow Patrol CD I've got displayed in this vintage MFI CD rack! Cool AF eh?!"

What bozos!

Seriously...

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:09 - Jul 15 with 1270 viewsSpruceMoose

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:08 - Jul 15 by sparks

Seriously...

I guess nobody makes things for items very few people own anymore. I can't find a decent case for my Betamax cassettes either!

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:10 - Jul 15 with 1268 viewssparks

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:06 - Jul 15 by SpruceMoose

I can't tell if you're trolling me here...

Do you ever pop them in on the sly when Ms Bully is giving you a bit of the old ear ache?

They wouldnt work. They cut the volume but maintain balanced sound for music.

I slip them in at pub gigs occasionally if its loud. Wore them throughout the last Public Enemy gig I went to.

If your ears are ringing after a gig, damage has been done. And it doesnt repair itself.

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:11 - Jul 15 with 1263 viewsSpruceMoose

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:10 - Jul 15 by sparks

They wouldnt work. They cut the volume but maintain balanced sound for music.

I slip them in at pub gigs occasionally if its loud. Wore them throughout the last Public Enemy gig I went to.

If your ears are ringing after a gig, damage has been done. And it doesnt repair itself.

Aye you can't be too careful in environments like that. A good friend of mine has tinnitus and it makes his life a misery.

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:16 - Jul 15 with 1256 viewsBlueBadger

Come on then, was it just me who read that in this tone?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:20 - Jul 15 with 1244 viewsSpruceMoose

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:16 - Jul 15 by BlueBadger

Don't act like you don't get annoyed when checking out your (lack of) options when in the market for a new Plague Doctor Beak Mask carry case or bloodletting gear bum bag!

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:20 - Jul 15 with 1239 viewsDubtractor

As someone who owns a silly amount of cds, and buys 4 or 5 every month, I'll take this a bit more seriously.

I built (with direction from carpenter dad) some floor to ceiling wooden shelves either side of chimney breast. Fairly simple really with a bit of planning. B&q for a load of ply cut to measure. Then get some batten for the front edges to smarten up. Stain as required.

Cost less than 100 quid all in and looks smart.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:25 - Jul 15 with 1226 viewssparks

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:20 - Jul 15 by Dubtractor

As someone who owns a silly amount of cds, and buys 4 or 5 every month, I'll take this a bit more seriously.

I built (with direction from carpenter dad) some floor to ceiling wooden shelves either side of chimney breast. Fairly simple really with a bit of planning. B&q for a load of ply cut to measure. Then get some batten for the front edges to smarten up. Stain as required.

Cost less than 100 quid all in and looks smart.

I could conceivably do something like that down in the music room. But I have always kept them in the same room as my pc, books and spare bed are in. Not really floor space for another full shelving unit.

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:26 - Jul 15 with 1225 viewssparks

Do you think that might perhaps have been intentional?

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:26 - Jul 15 with 1222 viewsKeno

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:09 - Jul 15 by SpruceMoose

I guess nobody makes things for items very few people own anymore. I can't find a decent case for my Betamax cassettes either!

I like to see a rack

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:33 - Jul 15 with 1207 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Spot on!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:34 - Jul 15 with 1205 viewsbrogansnose

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:08 - Jul 15 by sparks

Seriously...

Those sort of racks always strike me as being for people that don't really like music that much.

Anyway, I did exactly what Dubbers did and got my father to make some floor to cieling cases either side of a chimney breast. I've still got loads of CD's lurking about and a spare bedroom full of vinyl.
CD racks- railing against the world on 19:35 - Jul 15 with 1201 viewsHerbivore

Chalk this up under being old and out of touch.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:39 - Jul 15 with 1190 viewsShawsey

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:35 - Jul 15 by Herbivore

Chalk this up under being old and out of touch.

Each to their own.
CD racks- railing against the world on 19:54 - Jul 15 with 1171 viewseireblue

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:34 - Jul 15 by brogansnose

Those sort of racks always strike me as being for people that don't really like music that much.

Anyway, I did exactly what Dubbers did and got my father to make some floor to cieling cases either side of a chimney breast. I've still got loads of CD's lurking about and a spare bedroom full of vinyl.

Crikey, your father is one fast carpenter.
No. (n/t) on 20:02 - Jul 15 with 1148 viewsBloots

CD racks- railing against the world on 19:26 - Jul 15 by sparks

Do you think that might perhaps have been intentional?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024