Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kanye West - mental health issues 11:05 - Jul 22 with 1801 viewsLibero

I know the popular opinion from those who have a purely surface level knowledge of the man is that he's "just a d1ck head", but I find him quite a captivating individual. Musical genius aside, I especially find the reporting around him and his mental health issues interesting.

There's a long list of pain and trauma that Kanye's suffered in his life,
probably most notably his Mother passing away after complications from a cosmetic surgery that Kanye funded...
He's clearly a very complex individual that not only has his own highs and lows to negotiate but does so through the "Kardashian" gaze which will not only distort his reality when healthy but serve to further distance him from reality at times of an episode and augment events/people/situations/etc.

In my opinion Kanye West is a victim of regular manipulation and exploitation.
In the media in particular it appears that depending on the circumstance the MO is to mock his struggles and play his pain for laughs or potentially belittle and condescend him at times of mental health crisis.
Trump is clearly using him currently for nonferrous means regarding the election and while it's clear that he's going through something really difficult at the moment I've seen some pretty distasteful reporting over the last few days regarding West's latest public struggle.

What do the board think?
Is it okay to play peoples deepest darkest struggles for laughs and then wring our hands at how sad it is? Can you call someone "just a d1ck head" while also condescending them by making judgements about their capability as a functioning member of society?

Interested to hear what the general consensus is on how he's portrayed.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 11:10]
Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:38 - Jul 22 with 1511 viewsLibero

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:43 - Jul 22 with 1498 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m not sure if it was in here or in a magazine where I read it but it said that he’d have been in a much happier place now had he stayed behind the scenes as a top in demand record producer rather than embarking in a career in the public gaze.

My daughter is going into the music business and as much as I have I pride in her, I genuinely fear for her mental and physical heath with all the trappings that go with the industry.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:44 - Jul 22 with 1498 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd love to contribute, but I barely know who the guy is. A rapper or something similar isn't he? Is this the fella who had an aborted attempt at running for selection in the US?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:48 - Jul 22 with 1481 viewsLibero

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:43 - Jul 22 by GlasgowBlue

I’m not sure if it was in here or in a magazine where I read it but it said that he’d have been in a much happier place now had he stayed behind the scenes as a top in demand record producer rather than embarking in a career in the public gaze.

My daughter is going into the music business and as much as I have I pride in her, I genuinely fear for her mental and physical heath with all the trappings that go with the industry.

What kind of role is your daughter playing? - I think post covid the entertainment industry is in for a real shake up. Friend of mine is a BAFTA award winning composer, we used to play in bands together round the UK, he was telling me last weekend some horror stories of people losing their jobs already.
Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:49 - Jul 22 with 1478 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I've seen a lot of support for him in terms of people concerned about his mental health rather than mocking him.

I do think he should abandon his run for presidency for the sake of his own mental health.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:50 - Jul 22 with 1476 viewsLibero

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:44 - Jul 22 by Swansea_Blue

I'd love to contribute, but I barely know who the guy is. A rapper or something similar isn't he? Is this the fella who had an aborted attempt at running for selection in the US?

He's been/being used as a tool by Trump to try and split voters, I think his most recent public appearance may have put a stopper to that plan, but yeah he's said countless times that he'd like to be president and has formed links with Donald Trump.
Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:13 - Jul 22 with 1437 viewsDarth_Koont

Just like with the rise of the Kardashians themselves (or Trump for that matter) we have a voyeuristic tendency to give celebrities coverage and a platform they don't really deserve in their own right and that also can be dangerous - for their own wellbeing but also for society and how it starts to see itself.

Because they're not self-made really, "we" have made them what they are. Which is more than a little worrying. Society and Kanye himself would be better off if he wasn't elevated to these heights for supposed entertainment value.

Pronouns: He/Him

Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:13 - Jul 22 with 1433 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:50 - Jul 22 by Libero

He's been/being used as a tool by Trump to try and split voters, I think his most recent public appearance may have put a stopper to that plan, but yeah he's said countless times that he'd like to be president and has formed links with Donald Trump.

I genuinely think Kim Kardashian would stand a chance of getting in as President.

Not saying whether she is a good candidate, but I'd be interested to see it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:22 - Jul 22 with 1414 viewsGlasgowBlue

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:48 - Jul 22 by Libero

What kind of role is your daughter playing? - I think post covid the entertainment industry is in for a real shake up. Friend of mine is a BAFTA award winning composer, we used to play in bands together round the UK, he was telling me last weekend some horror stories of people losing their jobs already.

She’s going to Uni in London to study Business management in music alongside a performance course at the London School of Music.

One of our closest family friends is friends with the manager of one of the top 5 British bands of the 60’s/70’s and they’ve agreed to give her some work experience whilst she lives in London.

She then wants to go to LA to live and work. Terrifying from my perspective.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:23 - Jul 22 with 1413 viewsLibero

Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:22 - Jul 22 by GlasgowBlue

She’s going to Uni in London to study Business management in music alongside a performance course at the London School of Music.

One of our closest family friends is friends with the manager of one of the top 5 British bands of the 60’s/70’s and they’ve agreed to give her some work experience whilst she lives in London.

She then wants to go to LA to live and work. Terrifying from my perspective.

Great footing, but I can understand your trepidation. All the best to her.
Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:39 - Jul 22 with 1384 viewsSarge

Musical genius?
Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:43 - Jul 22 with 1379 viewsLibero

Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:39 - Jul 22 by Sarge

Musical genius?

Musical. Genius.
Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:48 - Jul 22 with 1363 viewsJakeITFC

Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:39 - Jul 22 by Sarge

Musical genius?

Undoubtedly.

Unfortunately getting close to separation of man and art time, though.
Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:21 - Jul 22 with 1310 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kanye West - mental health issues on 13:13 - Jul 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

I genuinely think Kim Kardashian would stand a chance of getting in as President.

Not saying whether she is a good candidate, but I'd be interested to see it.

Stranger things have happened Sprucey!!

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:28 - Jul 22 with 1294 viewsSpruceMoose

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:21 - Jul 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

Stranger things have happened Sprucey!!

Agree to disagree.

I know it's a joke to some of you but these things matter. For example, more Americans would be alive today if Clinton was President.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 15:34]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:28 - Jul 22 with 1293 viewsgiant_stow

Without having thought too much about him, I see a man who could well be mentally ill, still making a huge success of his life. If he needs a blowoff to get it out of his system every now and again, then so be it. Its actually heartenning that there's space for a guy in his shoes to make it.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:30 - Jul 22 with 1283 viewsSpruceMoose

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:28 - Jul 22 by giant_stow

Without having thought too much about him, I see a man who could well be mentally ill, still making a huge success of his life. If he needs a blowoff to get it out of his system every now and again, then so be it. Its actually heartenning that there's space for a guy in his shoes to make it.

Yes well, if in the process he could avoid fúcking up the entire country for the rest of us for another four years then that would be preferable.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 15:38]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:38 - Jul 22 with 1259 viewsgiant_stow

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:30 - Jul 22 by SpruceMoose

Yes well, if in the process he could avoid fúcking up the entire country for the rest of us for another four years then that would be preferable.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 15:38]

Yeah, thats fair! and don't get me wrong - ill or not, he's an outragious prick. More that its encouraging to see someone who's probably mentally ill getting along.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:50 - Jul 22 with 1231 viewsDecageBruce

I am personally not a huge fan of his stuff post his first album but did see a documentary about his life a few years ago.

It is clear he has mental health issues and I am not sure that the lifestyle/relationship he has is best suited to someone with his issues.

The most interesting part of the doc for me was his idolisation of Jay-Z and how being knocked back by Jay-Z really effected him. He eventually did work with Jay-Z and after becoming close and 'seeing him as a big brother' became disillusioned with the whole thing. Jay-Z was about money, power and status whereas Kanye is purely an artist (on more than just the medium of music).

For me, the worst bit is seeing someone so noticeably unwell being allowed to and/or not protected from living out his issues in the public eye. I am not stating that mental health issues should be hidden away, far from it, but with his status and in his industry unfortunately it is just leaving him open to ridicule
Kanye West - mental health issues on 16:10 - Jul 22 with 1201 viewstractordownsouth

Kanye West - mental health issues on 12:50 - Jul 22 by Libero

I originally thought that his plan was either to split the vote or to drop out after a few weeks of publicity, but now I think he's mentally ill and is genuinely serious about running.

Besides, most of his policies (anti-vaccinations, giving $1m to every mother to discourage abortion) are much more likely to appeal to Trump voters than they are to Democrats. I doubt many, if any, black Americans will vote for Kanye just for his skin colour. All Biden has to do is remind him of what Kanye said about slavery a couple of years back.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Kanye West - mental health issues on 16:13 - Jul 22 with 1204 viewsSpruceMoose

Kanye West - mental health issues on 16:10 - Jul 22 by tractordownsouth

I originally thought that his plan was either to split the vote or to drop out after a few weeks of publicity, but now I think he's mentally ill and is genuinely serious about running.

Besides, most of his policies (anti-vaccinations, giving $1m to every mother to discourage abortion) are much more likely to appeal to Trump voters than they are to Democrats. I doubt many, if any, black Americans will vote for Kanye just for his skin colour. All Biden has to do is remind him of what Kanye said about slavery a couple of years back.

Indeed. I've seen this idea floating around elsewhere and it's actually pretty insulting to suggest that black people are blind to the utter insanity of the man and instead will only see his skin colour.

Kanye West - mental health issues on 16:15 - Jul 22 with 1197 viewsSarge

Kanye West - mental health issues on 16:13 - Jul 22 by SpruceMoose

Indeed. I've seen this idea floating around elsewhere and it's actually pretty insulting to suggest that black people are blind to the utter insanity of the man and instead will only see his skin colour.

Replace black people with people and skin colour with party rosette colour and it suddenly doesn’t seem so different to our most recent election.
Kanye West - mental health issues on 16:30 - Jul 22 with 1169 viewsSpruceMoose

Kanye West - mental health issues on 16:15 - Jul 22 by Sarge

Replace black people with people and skin colour with party rosette colour and it suddenly doesn’t seem so different to our most recent election.

Well yes, you do have to account for those people who are fine with all the insanity so long as their guy is hurting all the people they want to see get hurt.

Kanye West - mental health issues on 17:53 - Jul 22 with 1112 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kanye West - mental health issues on 15:28 - Jul 22 by SpruceMoose

Agree to disagree.

I know it's a joke to some of you but these things matter. For example, more Americans would be alive today if Clinton was President.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 15:34]

Ha.

TBF I wasn't really joking, I'm not suggesting I would support it, but Id be interested to see how any such campaign would be received.

Kanye West - mental health issues on 17:59 - Jul 22 with 1100 viewsSpruceMoose

Kanye West - mental health issues on 17:53 - Jul 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

Ha.

TBF I wasn't really joking, I'm not suggesting I would support it, but Id be interested to see how any such campaign would be received.

Like I said, it's a little bit more serious for some of us than just viewing it as a spectacle to tickle our curiosity.

I'd appreciate it if you were a little more mindful of that, thanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024