Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A whinge about my kids first week back at school 20:45 - Sep 11 with 2577 viewsgiant_stow

If this is boring or self-obsessed please accept my apologies and then read no more.

It's not gone well - he's visually impaired because of albanism and has been at the school for 2 years already.

- They sat him at the back of the class where he can see jack. And he won't wear his glasses which is on us, but doesn't help. He was finally moved yesterday.

- The school's new covid protocols involved kids lined up in the middle of the playground, waiting to spot their guardian just outside the fence. Our boy couldn;t fcking see us! We've sorted it now, but for 2 days he was the last to be picked because I couldn't shout loud enough for him to hear above the after school din.

- He's getting bullied by a boy at school and when me and his mum aren;t looking, at the park too. Today, this boy head butted 'by accident' my boy while they were all running around at playtime. I swear he's got 1 black eye and a cut above the other eye! I mean wtf? They're 7! Where were the teachers? Apparently all the kids saw this happen, but the first adult to comment on the eye damage did so about 3 hours later (according to the boy), but only in passing, and we've had no injury report sent hokme, or call from school today. He could have been concussed ffs.

All in all, not happy. I know covid is making everything hard, stressful and busy for teachers, but I can;t really accept all this. Am I being unreasonable to get a bit serious with them about this come Monday? Got the weekend to think at least as I've avoided the pull of the emotional phone call late this afternoon.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2020 20:46]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 20:53 - Sep 11 with 2522 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sorry to hear this, Ullaa.

Your final para sounds a fair summary from what you have said. Things are not easy for teachers but this simply isn't good enough.

Use what you have shared to make it clear what your points are. Come from the angle I understand things are difficult because of the situation but point out that you feel the SEN makes you feel your son is especially vulnerable. Point out that you do not accept the injury was appropriately handled and that you would like staff to keep an eye out for the other lad around your son.

It is not unreasonable to expect your child to be 1) safe; 2) treated fairly.

If you are not happy with the response after Monday, try the head (unless they deal with Monday) and then, if needed, the Governors.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 20:55 - Sep 11 with 2511 viewsLRB84UK

Can you email? Our school now has emails for each year group which makes it much easier. I do not think you are wrong for wanting to raise all these issues. We trust these people to look after our children and you HAVE to bring up your niggles. Surely they are easier to see in the playground as there's less of them about at the moment!

I would raise every single concern about the bullying too, we had a few issues with 1 boy in my sons class and I was right there, every day after school. It was sorted within a week.

These poor kids have been through so much the last 6 months and it will take a while for things to settle down but that's no excuse. They only get 1 shot at school and they have to be happy, if you rising your concerns gets things done then its the best thing you can do

Have a good weekend, try to do something fun and sort this Monday,
A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 20:59 - Sep 11 with 2486 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 20:55 - Sep 11 by LRB84UK

Can you email? Our school now has emails for each year group which makes it much easier. I do not think you are wrong for wanting to raise all these issues. We trust these people to look after our children and you HAVE to bring up your niggles. Surely they are easier to see in the playground as there's less of them about at the moment!

I would raise every single concern about the bullying too, we had a few issues with 1 boy in my sons class and I was right there, every day after school. It was sorted within a week.

These poor kids have been through so much the last 6 months and it will take a while for things to settle down but that's no excuse. They only get 1 shot at school and they have to be happy, if you rising your concerns gets things done then its the best thing you can do

I agree with what you say aside from the "easier to see as there are fewer of them around". Why do you think there are fewer around? Schools are fully open.

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:04 - Sep 11 with 2472 viewsgiant_stow

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 20:53 - Sep 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sorry to hear this, Ullaa.

Your final para sounds a fair summary from what you have said. Things are not easy for teachers but this simply isn't good enough.

Use what you have shared to make it clear what your points are. Come from the angle I understand things are difficult because of the situation but point out that you feel the SEN makes you feel your son is especially vulnerable. Point out that you do not accept the injury was appropriately handled and that you would like staff to keep an eye out for the other lad around your son.

It is not unreasonable to expect your child to be 1) safe; 2) treated fairly.

If you are not happy with the response after Monday, try the head (unless they deal with Monday) and then, if needed, the Governors.

Its reasurring to see calm outsiders express a view tbh, as you doubt yourself.

Thanks for the advice too.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:07 - Sep 11 with 2464 viewsgiant_stow

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 20:55 - Sep 11 by LRB84UK

Good to see how quickly your school sorted your issue out.

We’re in email touch with the head of year cos of the sight issues at the beginning the week — the violence today is the ploppy cherry on top of a bad ‘I hate school’ week back for the littlein.

Good advice about fun this weekend.

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:17 - Sep 11 with 2429 viewsbluefunk

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:07 - Sep 11 by giant_stow

Good to see how quickly your school sorted your issue out.

We’re in email touch with the head of year cos of the sight issues at the beginning the week — the violence today is the ploppy cherry on top of a bad ‘I hate school’ week back for the littlein.

Good advice about fun this weekend.

Whatever you do don’t let the bullying slide, it will only get worse. Insist on action by the school, no excuses. They should have protocols for this, they need to action them
A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:19 - Sep 11 with 2420 viewsKeno

Thinking of you and your family Ulla, this is awful

Can’t really add anything but I hope the school sort it and do so quickly

Keep us updated

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:26 - Sep 11 with 2400 viewsJ2BLUE

Get it sorted on Monday. You have every right to be pissed off. Polite but firm.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:30 - Sep 11 with 2382 viewsCBBlue

Is your son on the SEN register? If so there's really no excuse for the teacher overlooking the obvious adjustments he needs. I'd meet with the SENCO and make sure these are on his record so every teacher he has in his school life is well aware he needs to sit near the front etc.

From personal experience you do need to make a bit of noise, they are so stretched that it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil - that goes for the bullying too. Obviously be polite at all times, acknowledge how busy they are but make sure they know you'll be advocating for your son whenever it's needed and you want to work together with the school to make sure his needs are met and the bullying stops.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2020 21:32]

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:37 - Sep 11 with 2336 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sorry to hear this; not a nice situation to be in for any of you.

Sounds to me like the school have just been a bit thoughtless in some ways. I certainly wouldn’t accept any bullying though. I’d raise that with the Head. At that age it needs to be nipped in the bud.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 21:50 - Sep 11 with 2312 viewsPendejo

From what little I know following my 4 kids going thru school, and my wife having qualifications in child care....

Their safeguarding procedures are somewhat deficient. They do not appear to have harvested the eyesight into which was surely gathered on application. Pastoral care non-existent.

Black eye should have been recorded in accident book and you get notification.

As another poster has pointed out; email them, pretty much your posting covers what you need to cover, but maybe a little editing.

Give them 5 working days to respond in writing AND demand to see head of year, head of pastoral care or whatever new speak term they've decided to use.

Covid is no excuse.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 22:43 - Sep 11 with 2254 viewsLRB84UK

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 20:59 - Sep 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

I agree with what you say aside from the "easier to see as there are fewer of them around". Why do you think there are fewer around? Schools are fully open.

Because in our school the kids are in 4 separate year wide bubbles and have staggered lunches and breaks, only 2 years on the playground at 1 time instead of all 6.
A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 00:05 - Sep 12 with 2140 viewsgiant_stow

Thank you all so much.- some really kind words and strong practical advice, so appreciate it. Some good people here.

Ive calmed down now (!) but will get moving (with care) on Monday. Cheers

Luke

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 00:54 - Sep 12 with 2070 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Hello there, I’m a teacher in primary school and will try and calm or explain some of your concerns. .
I’ve had numerous complaints for children not being able to see this week. It is a real balancing act as I can keep moving children around but with government guidance being to maintain 2m as best as possible and every child must be front facing I really am stuck with it. I have found a slight solution in copying everything from the interactive whiteboard onto the classic whiteboard so all angles from the classroom can see but it really is difficult to do this and handle a class of 30 when your back is to them!

Our school changed the policy and allowed parents into the school, but the idea was keeping parents out of the playground was keeping bubbles, children and staff safe from further exposure. It proved a logistical nightmare and was very quickly stopped. I can see the benefits of dismissing children from the gates but if schools want to do this then it requires extreme organisation.

The bullying really isn’t good and I am very sorry to hear that has happened. Is your boy confident enough to speak up to a teacher when these things happen? I would attempt to make an appointment with the class teacher and talk through your concerns and this can be done on the phone. One whole lunch time this week was spent on the phone doing exactly this with a parent. I didn’t mine because it raised an issue I wasn’t aware of and eased the parents fears.

Covid has made teaching a really difficult practice as there has been so many changes we have had to adapt to. However you have every right to feel that your child is being given the support he needs to enjoy a positive educational experience, whatever the circumstances. I think you should make a phone call one day next week to the class teacher to talk through these fears. If you get a good response then you should feel much better. If not, go higher and you will get there.

Good luck!
A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 06:45 - Sep 12 with 1965 viewsbluelagos

As an exprimary teacher my thoughts.

Your first 2 issues have been sorted. Am sure the school had a lot of difficulties to work through.

The bullying one sounds more serious and indeed does not sound as if it is sorted. So I wouod defo take it up with the school.

Calm chat is better than a heated debate. I'd book a time with the head or deputy and start with a thank you for sorting the first two issues and then include any out of school issues too. Whilst the school cant police the local park, it is important context they should be aware of.

If I was aware of child A bullying child B I could keep an eye and be vigilant and/or firm when seeing it. Also important your child speaks up to teacher when it happens. Name calling is part of life and something he may need to live with (not condoning it). A headbutt is an assualt (albeit accidents do happen)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 17:41 - Sep 12 with 1677 viewsChondzoresk

PM'd you privately about this issue.
A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 01:15 - Sep 13 with 1492 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 22:43 - Sep 11 by LRB84UK

Because in our school the kids are in 4 separate year wide bubbles and have staggered lunches and breaks, only 2 years on the playground at 1 time instead of all 6.

Not all schools are having the staggered breaks (ours isn't for sure albeit that it is secondary). Staggered breaks or not, there are only so many staff to supervise and so much area for students to go in. One assumes separate bubbles are being kept to separate areas. So, unless your school has the luxury of paying extra hours to extra break supervisors, I don't think there is likely either a lower density of students nor a higher density of supervising staff.

So, 2 year groups on one third of the playground supervised by 1 member of staff is probably far trickier than all 6 on the full playground/other outside areas supervised by 3 staff.

A whinge about my kids first week back at school on 09:24 - Sep 13 with 1360 viewsElephantintheRoom

Sounds unpleasant - but surely not something that cannot be overcome with some proactive discussion?

Not everything can be sorted out at short notice in schools receiving contradictory instructions virtually every day of the week and struggling to cope with absurd demands on low funding and high pupil numbers.

Its understandable that their protocols might require some individual adjustment. Good luck your you and yours next week - hope things quickly improve

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024