Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Passing the ball about going backwards. 11:15 - Sep 14 with 3256 viewsBramidan

Why do we persist in passing the ball about, ever retreating, putting ourselves under pressure ( somebody will lose ot or make a mistake) for the ball to eventually go back to the goalkeeper for the big yahoo.
Playing out from the back going forwards yes but not continually going backwards.
The mid fielders have all come back, the eventual long punt goes to stranded front men who even if they try to play it back none of the midfielders have had a chance to get up and support them.
Totally negative and asks too much of the poor isolated strikers.
It seems to be the current fashion but very few players in lower leagues who can play like Pep expects.
Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:16 - Sep 14 with 3238 viewshype313

Because it's fashionable and Pep did it.

Bit like mangers wearing Gilets a few years back, think Sherwood still wears his, in hope.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:20 - Sep 14 with 3209 viewsStokieBlue

I would say that on Sunday we did that the least we have done for over a season.

Nolan was noticeably trying to move the ball forward and more quickly, it was a total change from last season in the way he was going about things. Bishop is always looking forward and Dozzell will play the pass that is on - there is no point insisting on a forward pass if it's not on.

SB
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 11:20]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:22 - Sep 14 with 3194 viewsHerbivore

Whilst this happened at times yesterday we did also have spells, especially the second part of the first half, where we were knocking it about with purpose. We lost our way a bit second half and the tempo dropped but I felt like the midfield three were trying to play positively, albeit with mixed results.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:35 - Sep 14 with 3148 viewsBramidan

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:20 - Sep 14 by StokieBlue

I would say that on Sunday we did that the least we have done for over a season.

Nolan was noticeably trying to move the ball forward and more quickly, it was a total change from last season in the way he was going about things. Bishop is always looking forward and Dozzell will play the pass that is on - there is no point insisting on a forward pass if it's not on.

SB
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 11:20]

I am not insisting on a forward pass if it is not on but presumably the final hoof by the keeper is acceptable because if you are going to give the ball away you might as well do it when you have all your players behind the ball.
In Sunday's game. Especially the second half on several occasions we just went backwards and finally got the ball back to Holy for the punt.
Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:38 - Sep 14 with 3141 viewsfactual_blue

Keep the ball. If one line of attack is closed to you, find another one.

If you keep the ball, then the opposition can't score. And they're likely to be doing more running around.

Well, that's the theory.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 11:40]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:39 - Sep 14 with 3132 viewsStokieBlue

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:35 - Sep 14 by Bramidan

I am not insisting on a forward pass if it is not on but presumably the final hoof by the keeper is acceptable because if you are going to give the ball away you might as well do it when you have all your players behind the ball.
In Sunday's game. Especially the second half on several occasions we just went backwards and finally got the ball back to Holy for the punt.

Just seems a strange point given there was clear progress over last year, especially in the first half.

Perhaps best to give the team a bit of time and make the point in 6 weeks if we haven't progressed substantially over last year where I would agree we passed backwards far too often, especially Nolan.

SB

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:59 - Sep 14 with 3059 viewsHullblue

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:39 - Sep 14 by StokieBlue

Just seems a strange point given there was clear progress over last year, especially in the first half.

Perhaps best to give the team a bit of time and make the point in 6 weeks if we haven't progressed substantially over last year where I would agree we passed backwards far too often, especially Nolan.

SB

Well exactly. I can’t help but think this no fans thing is helping us at the moment, because attitudes like the OP’s have persisted at Portman Road for years.

A couple of backward passes under pressure and suddenly the groaning starts. I’ve even heard moans when we’ve patiently worked our way up the pitch in 15-20 passes because we supposedly haven’t got the ball into the box quick enough.

People talk about wanting to see passing football and then moan when we don’t play like Klopp’s Dortmund straight away.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:09 - Sep 14 with 3010 viewsSwansea_Blue

Start again, recycle, all pretty standard stuff. The alternative is an aimless punt (if there's nothing on)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:15 - Sep 14 with 2989 viewsMetal_Hacker

I'm no Jurgen Klopp but my interpretation of this style/method of football is to draw your opposition out to create the space for those ahead

There was a passage of play in the first half I recall where we did exactly that with three of their players tried to close down our defensive line bringing the ball out , Dozzer came just behind their 3 attacking players , received the ball from defense through the gap and away we went.It did look calculated and was very well executed

Now...there'll be times when our quality isnt good enough or we get closed down, yeah then foot through which then leaves the ball up in the air and a 50-50 chance of it simply returning and being put under pressure immediately. Evidence of that for me was when Drinan went off and Nors came on .The ball didn't stick up top half as much

Long and short , lets try and open up the opposition creatively and if we're struggling , foot through . I'm all for watching and trying a "new" brand of football

Poll: If it were one or the other

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:16 - Sep 14 with 2983 viewsFreddies_Ears

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:09 - Sep 14 by Swansea_Blue

Start again, recycle, all pretty standard stuff. The alternative is an aimless punt (if there's nothing on)

It is a real asset to have a goalkeeper who can reliably clear a ball beyond halfway with either foot, and gives us the option to try to play out, knowing there's a plan B available. We really mixed it up yesterday, sometimes playing it out fairly centrally via the excellent Dozzell and Nolan, sometimes using the FBs to play an angled longer ball, sometimes using Holy to go long. Kept the oppo on their toes, and got them very tired by the 70th minute.
Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:20 - Sep 14 with 2963 viewshampstead_blue

Good point, well made.

Magic and Matty Holland were the last two midfielders we had who had the skill to have the ball at feet and move forward. Someone will no doubt tell me I am wrong.

It's a fashion I think.

When we had Steve Whitton every ball was to him in the air. Very effective.
There is nothing wrong with passing the ball in the air to someone to head or control on the full.

At L1 level we are not going to have players good enough to keep it down and tear through opponents with a glorious first touch and deft passing....I wish we did.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:23 - Sep 14 with 2948 viewsWeWereZombies

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:15 - Sep 14 by Metal_Hacker

I'm no Jurgen Klopp but my interpretation of this style/method of football is to draw your opposition out to create the space for those ahead

There was a passage of play in the first half I recall where we did exactly that with three of their players tried to close down our defensive line bringing the ball out , Dozzer came just behind their 3 attacking players , received the ball from defense through the gap and away we went.It did look calculated and was very well executed

Now...there'll be times when our quality isnt good enough or we get closed down, yeah then foot through which then leaves the ball up in the air and a 50-50 chance of it simply returning and being put under pressure immediately. Evidence of that for me was when Drinan went off and Nors came on .The ball didn't stick up top half as much

Long and short , lets try and open up the opposition creatively and if we're struggling , foot through . I'm all for watching and trying a "new" brand of football

It sounded like we got closed down for a quarter of an hour spell in the second half and this was, sort of, predicted by the TalkSport commentator. He said almost as soon as the second half had started that Wigan had brought on a sub, Perry, to stifle Dozzell.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:32 - Sep 14 with 2913 viewsSwansea_Blue

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:16 - Sep 14 by Freddies_Ears

It is a real asset to have a goalkeeper who can reliably clear a ball beyond halfway with either foot, and gives us the option to try to play out, knowing there's a plan B available. We really mixed it up yesterday, sometimes playing it out fairly centrally via the excellent Dozzell and Nolan, sometimes using the FBs to play an angled longer ball, sometimes using Holy to go long. Kept the oppo on their toes, and got them very tired by the 70th minute.

I've been impressed with our movement, both in terms of long and short options. We've so many more runners than we did last season. Long may it continue.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:34 - Sep 14 with 2902 viewsMetal_Hacker

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:23 - Sep 14 by WeWereZombies

It sounded like we got closed down for a quarter of an hour spell in the second half and this was, sort of, predicted by the TalkSport commentator. He said almost as soon as the second half had started that Wigan had brought on a sub, Perry, to stifle Dozzell.

Absolutely we did and I dare say we'll have the opposition change their tactics a lot sooner to stop us playing it around BUT that'd be when PL needs to implement a plan B perhaps

Poll: If it were one or the other

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:36 - Sep 14 with 2892 viewshaynes_toe1

Thought Dozzell was a key difference, picking the ball up on the half term and thus opening up a bit of space from their initial press.

We're not particularly good at it currently so I understand the OP but I thought yesterday was better than what we have been subjected to.
Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:37 - Sep 14 with 2888 viewsStokieBlue

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:23 - Sep 14 by WeWereZombies

That's exactly what Dozzell needs though, he needs to be singled out by other teams and he has to learn how to deal with it and continue to make space and play those passes.

If he can manage that he will be superb, if he can't then he will be marked out of a career.

SB

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:43 - Sep 14 with 2843 viewsBlue12345

The idea is to open up different angles and passing lanes. However being the level we are it is obviously harder to implement than with higher standard players who are more comfortable in the ball and can see a pass better.

And as you said with the long punt forward, this makes the previous passes we do put together a complete waste of time.
Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:57 - Sep 14 with 2792 viewsPJH

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 11:38 - Sep 14 by factual_blue

Keep the ball. If one line of attack is closed to you, find another one.

If you keep the ball, then the opposition can't score. And they're likely to be doing more running around.

Well, that's the theory.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 11:40]

AND it helps with the all important possession stats.
Passing the ball about going backwards. on 13:31 - Sep 14 with 2709 viewsWeWereZombies

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 12:57 - Sep 14 by PJH

AND it helps with the all important possession stats.

Although

Let the opposition run around keeping hold of the ball and then nab it off them when they are mentally and physically tired from all the effort of keeping hold of the ball so that you can send a couple of forwards galloping upfield to nick a last minute winner.

Quite a few of the Premiership games towards that delayed end to the 2019/20 featured losing sides with a high percentage of possession against winning sides that had a higher shots on target stat.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 14:10 - Sep 14 with 2626 viewsPJH

Passing the ball about going backwards. on 13:31 - Sep 14 by WeWereZombies

Although

Let the opposition run around keeping hold of the ball and then nab it off them when they are mentally and physically tired from all the effort of keeping hold of the ball so that you can send a couple of forwards galloping upfield to nick a last minute winner.

Quite a few of the Premiership games towards that delayed end to the 2019/20 featured losing sides with a high percentage of possession against winning sides that had a higher shots on target stat.

Yes, I liked it better when the most important stat was goals scored as opposed to goals conceded.
Passing the ball about going backwards. on 14:43 - Sep 14 with 2564 viewsArnieM

It’s called keeping possession.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024