Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? 09:29 - Oct 11 with 1577 viewsChrisd

It seems Judge is like marmite, you either like what he brings to the side or you don't. There were many yesterday praising his work rate, including Stuart Watson in his 5 observations review this morning -

Equally, there are those that just berate him for his lack of impact. Thoughts?
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 9:32]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 09:33 - Oct 11 with 1254 viewsMullet

No. Skuse is hated by people with a chip on their shoulder or potatoes for eyes. He's never produced a performance, let alone months of them, as bad as Judge did.

The need to find blame for players or excuse them based on prejudice is why people are blubbing about Chambers and Bishop celebrating goals etc.

We won 4-1, Judge played a part. Anyone worried about the months where we built a relegation side around him in that context is being odd.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 09:50 - Oct 11 with 1203 viewsDarth_Koont

I’m not against Judge as he has so much energy and enthusiasm I’d love him to succeed. But after almost two years of being first choice, and the team often unbalanced to bring him in, I question his effectiveness and whether he should instead be seen as more of a bench player to give us energy later on.

He’s almost the opposite of Skuse who was quietly effective and whose importance to the team was based on what he delivered game in and game out, not what he optimistically *might* deliver.

Pronouns: He/Him

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 10:07 - Oct 11 with 1159 viewsurbanblue

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 09:50 - Oct 11 by Darth_Koont

I’m not against Judge as he has so much energy and enthusiasm I’d love him to succeed. But after almost two years of being first choice, and the team often unbalanced to bring him in, I question his effectiveness and whether he should instead be seen as more of a bench player to give us energy later on.

He’s almost the opposite of Skuse who was quietly effective and whose importance to the team was based on what he delivered game in and game out, not what he optimistically *might* deliver.

I have to say to say though, that to me the work Judge put in yesterday was very noticeable. It's a part of his game that we often complain about so fair play to him.
Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 10:29 - Oct 11 with 1116 viewsclive_baker

Symptomatic of the modern day supporter more than anything else I would say. I find that some people feel the need to adopt really extreme positions on one side or another, which are largely unfounded, whether good or bad. A bad pass and someone’s ‘terrible, should never play again’. A good game and they’re a world beater. It’s a bit weird, look at the crap Kenlock gets for example, he should be in the SIL if you listen to some on here, yet in his 60 odd games, most of which have been in the Championship I can’t think of many times he’s let us down. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not amazing either, but his performances don’t warrant the stick he gets. The criticism of Skuse & Chambers is particularly baffling I would say, as 2 mainstays in a team that got to a Championship playoffs, yet now they’re good for nothing. Admittedly they’re not getting any younger but Chambers has been one of our POTS so far IMO.

Team selection also depends on a lot of factors, I thought in the absence of Ward and Downes we needed a Judge yesterday. Brings that bit of spirit and worked his nuts off. They’re a decent team and we knew they would look for those long balls out from the back so having Edwards & Judge in there pressing them with their work rate helped give them little time on the ball at the back. Judge was involved in some of our better moves, such as the Hawkins chance and the Huws shot that looked goal bound. It was his work that led to Blackpool gifting Bishop the ball which he scored from. A lot of it is unsexy work but I would imagine if you asked the players for their MOTM Judge would be in the top 5.

The reality is the spectrum across all of our players is probably ranging from mid Championship to lower league 1. It’s natural for fans to speculate and have opinions and that’s what makes this place interesting, I do find certain posters (eg Fishers) love to adopt such extreme ones for a reaction though.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:24]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 10:42 - Oct 11 with 1091 viewsDarth_Koont

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 10:07 - Oct 11 by urbanblue

I have to say to say though, that to me the work Judge put in yesterday was very noticeable. It's a part of his game that we often complain about so fair play to him.

Really? I’d never complain about his workrate. For me it’s simply whether he makes us a better team or not. It seems as if his work rate often involves him following the ball around rather than helping us keep our shape or covering the defender behind him.

Pronouns: He/Him

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 10:48 - Oct 11 with 1078 viewsHerbivore

I don't think anyone denies that he runs around a lot, it's just that some of us expect a bit more from him than running around a lot.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:02 - Oct 11 with 1042 viewspointofblue

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 10:29 - Oct 11 by clive_baker

Symptomatic of the modern day supporter more than anything else I would say. I find that some people feel the need to adopt really extreme positions on one side or another, which are largely unfounded, whether good or bad. A bad pass and someone’s ‘terrible, should never play again’. A good game and they’re a world beater. It’s a bit weird, look at the crap Kenlock gets for example, he should be in the SIL if you listen to some on here, yet in his 60 odd games, most of which have been in the Championship I can’t think of many times he’s let us down. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not amazing either, but his performances don’t warrant the stick he gets. The criticism of Skuse & Chambers is particularly baffling I would say, as 2 mainstays in a team that got to a Championship playoffs, yet now they’re good for nothing. Admittedly they’re not getting any younger but Chambers has been one of our POTS so far IMO.

Team selection also depends on a lot of factors, I thought in the absence of Ward and Downes we needed a Judge yesterday. Brings that bit of spirit and worked his nuts off. They’re a decent team and we knew they would look for those long balls out from the back so having Edwards & Judge in there pressing them with their work rate helped give them little time on the ball at the back. Judge was involved in some of our better moves, such as the Hawkins chance and the Huws shot that looked goal bound. It was his work that led to Blackpool gifting Bishop the ball which he scored from. A lot of it is unsexy work but I would imagine if you asked the players for their MOTM Judge would be in the top 5.

The reality is the spectrum across all of our players is probably ranging from mid Championship to lower league 1. It’s natural for fans to speculate and have opinions and that’s what makes this place interesting, I do find certain posters (eg Fishers) love to adopt such extreme ones for a reaction though.

Regarding Kenlock I think the reaction last week, for which I am among the guilty party, was because we clearly lost control of the game when he replaced Ward with a greater threat coming down than side than before. He struggled and we struggled. Massive credit to him yesterday for, for most part, dealing with Hamilton extremely well and, if he continues that kind of play, we’ll have very few issues whilst Ward is out.

Judge is a high earners who has flattered to deceive far too often in an Ipswich shirt considering what he should be able to bring to the table - especially at this level. Huws is similar. Maybe a run of games will help both and the former’s work rate yesterday was a bonus.

Skuse is a player who will be under-rated because he does the dirty work quietly and without fuss. It will be interesting to see how our midfield develops in his absence but there will be days, such as MK Dons before and after Downes’ cameo, where his presence will be desperately required.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:07 - Oct 11 with 1032 viewsWickets

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 10:29 - Oct 11 by clive_baker

Yes , fans so often see what they want to see . a really good team performance yesterday with lots of movement from the midfielders getting into their box .
Login to get fewer ads

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:08 - Oct 11 with 1030 viewsgordon

Judge definitely runs around a lot and puts in a decent shift, certainly not lazy etc.

The issue with Judge is that he's being played out of position - there's no way in the world he's a wide forward, he doesn't have the pace or the creativity or positional sense for that role, and we'd just look more dangerous / effective with either Sears or Lankester (or possibly Bennetts now as well) playing that role.

With the injuries in the middle tough, and Huws looking out of sorts yesterday, I'd definitely not complain about a midfield of Dozzell, Judge and Bishop for the next couple of games (if Nolan is out).
Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:10 - Oct 11 with 1032 viewsBlueBadger

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:08 - Oct 11 by gordon

Judge definitely runs around a lot and puts in a decent shift, certainly not lazy etc.

The issue with Judge is that he's being played out of position - there's no way in the world he's a wide forward, he doesn't have the pace or the creativity or positional sense for that role, and we'd just look more dangerous / effective with either Sears or Lankester (or possibly Bennetts now as well) playing that role.

With the injuries in the middle tough, and Huws looking out of sorts yesterday, I'd definitely not complain about a midfield of Dozzell, Judge and Bishop for the next couple of games (if Nolan is out).

Huws, Dozzell, Bishop at the moment is probably our best, most balanced midfield three on basis of form and fitness. Bishop is currently doing everything we were told Judge does, only better, plus he actually RUNS at people.
Everybody's fit, Downes comes in for Huws.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:18]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:12 - Oct 11 with 1025 viewsJoHnNnY

He’s berated for his inconsistency.

Yesterday was 1 of very few games where he’s made an impression.

He was running round like a mad man closing down - excellent shift.

He wants to keep that position on the pitch.

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:14 - Oct 11 with 1020 viewsBlueBadger

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:12 - Oct 11 by JoHnNnY

He’s berated for his inconsistency.

Yesterday was 1 of very few games where he’s made an impression.

He was running round like a mad man closing down - excellent shift.

He wants to keep that position on the pitch.

In all fairness, he's not been inconsistent here...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:15 - Oct 11 with 1018 viewsclive_baker

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:08 - Oct 11 by gordon

I think if everyone’s fit, more often than not Judge doesn’t start for me. A good option from the bench I would say as he’s fairly versatile and he’s trust worthy, reliable, and you know what you’ll get from him. I think a central 3 of Bishop, Downes, Dozzell with Edwards and Lankester as they wide men could ultimately be the way forward.

I like all of Nolan, Judge & Sears and think they’re more than able deputies / used off the bench or for some rotation. There’s a lot of football to be played in a short amount of time so depth is hugely beneficial.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:19 - Oct 11 with 1009 viewsgordon

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:15 - Oct 11 by clive_baker

I think if everyone’s fit, more often than not Judge doesn’t start for me. A good option from the bench I would say as he’s fairly versatile and he’s trust worthy, reliable, and you know what you’ll get from him. I think a central 3 of Bishop, Downes, Dozzell with Edwards and Lankester as they wide men could ultimately be the way forward.

I like all of Nolan, Judge & Sears and think they’re more than able deputies / used off the bench or for some rotation. There’s a lot of football to be played in a short amount of time so depth is hugely beneficial.

Yes, I would just hope that Judge can be considered back-up for the CMs rather than as a wide forward - I reckon that a front 3 of Edwards, Jackson and Sears/Lankester/Bennetts would be good enough to rip teams apart at this level.

With the ball-playing midfielders we've got, I can't see that we need a big lump at Centre-forward, and the pace of Jackson could be so much more dangerous than Hawkins.
Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:20 - Oct 11 with 1007 viewspointofblue

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:10 - Oct 11 by BlueBadger

Huws, Dozzell, Bishop at the moment is probably our best, most balanced midfield three on basis of form and fitness. Bishop is currently doing everything we were told Judge does, only better, plus he actually RUNS at people.
Everybody's fit, Downes comes in for Huws.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:18]

Which is probably true but harsh on Nolan, who had done nothing wrong to date this season. He should be back next week so it will be interesting to see who makes way for him (or one of the first XI from yesterday of he starts) on the bench as it’d be nice to have a central midfield option to call upon. Of course we could stick with the same 18 with Judge playing in the middle if required, as we did yesterday.

It is nice to have options but seemingly also have clearly defined roles in the side.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:21 - Oct 11 with 1004 viewsWickets

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:19 - Oct 11 by gordon

Yes, I would just hope that Judge can be considered back-up for the CMs rather than as a wide forward - I reckon that a front 3 of Edwards, Jackson and Sears/Lankester/Bennetts would be good enough to rip teams apart at this level.

With the ball-playing midfielders we've got, I can't see that we need a big lump at Centre-forward, and the pace of Jackson could be so much more dangerous than Hawkins.

Maybe watch Hawkins contribution in the highlights ?
Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:25 - Oct 11 with 997 viewsjudespiveyg

I think there's a frustration with Judge because we know there once was talent there, before Luke Hyam snapped his leg he was pretty much nailed on for Euro 2016 and there was talk of a Premier League move. So it's annoying he hasn't really shone for us, and to be honest we have better options in the center and on the wing at the moment. I reckon people probably expected about 5 goals and assists a season from him.

Skuse in his whole career has never gone above being a bang average Championship player to be honest and has never had any attacking ability so I think it's a bit of a different scenario because I don't people have ever had the same expectation for Skuse as they do for Judge.

Both quite polarising though but for different reasons I think.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:27 - Oct 11 with 990 viewsMullet

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:25 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

I think there's a frustration with Judge because we know there once was talent there, before Luke Hyam snapped his leg he was pretty much nailed on for Euro 2016 and there was talk of a Premier League move. So it's annoying he hasn't really shone for us, and to be honest we have better options in the center and on the wing at the moment. I reckon people probably expected about 5 goals and assists a season from him.

Skuse in his whole career has never gone above being a bang average Championship player to be honest and has never had any attacking ability so I think it's a bit of a different scenario because I don't people have ever had the same expectation for Skuse as they do for Judge.

Both quite polarising though but for different reasons I think.

What level did Judge reach out of interest?

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:28 - Oct 11 with 988 viewsBlueBadger

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:27 - Oct 11 by Mullet

'Bang average championship midfielder', only with Brentford.

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:30 - Oct 11 with 975 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

All of these players can play football to a high standard. Think it is down to the manager to find their best position and motivate them for that role. Judge is one of our better footballers, but we have seen little of it. I would say Lambert needs to either find a way of getting the best out of him, or move somebody else in. Judge should be tearing up this league and the fact he isn't, can't all be down to him. We have plenty to take his place, so up to him and the boss to sort it. I like him as a player, but expect more from him at this level.
Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:33 - Oct 11 with 974 viewsjudespiveyg

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:27 - Oct 11 by Mullet

A top Championship midfielder (14 goals and in the team of the season in 2015/16), like I said nailed on for the Ireland squad and a very real chance of a Premier League move. Then Hyam snapped his leg and he was out for two years. Unfortunately he's not going to be that player again.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:34]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:43 - Oct 11 with 953 viewsMullet

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:33 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

A top Championship midfielder (14 goals and in the team of the season in 2015/16), like I said nailed on for the Ireland squad and a very real chance of a Premier League move. Then Hyam snapped his leg and he was out for two years. Unfortunately he's not going to be that player again.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:34]

How then is Skuse "bang average" when by your own criteria he doesn't score goals but has played far more Championship games and been integral to our team who finished above Brentford for year(s) before too?

What happened to Judge was unfortunate, but the fact is he never went on to fulfil any promise he might have, and we never sold Skuse when he was in his prime and might have played for promoted or Prem side according to his manager?

Surely the body of games at the second tier shows Skuse is easily on a par if not beyond Judge?

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:46 - Oct 11 with 945 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:43 - Oct 11 by Mullet

How then is Skuse "bang average" when by your own criteria he doesn't score goals but has played far more Championship games and been integral to our team who finished above Brentford for year(s) before too?

What happened to Judge was unfortunate, but the fact is he never went on to fulfil any promise he might have, and we never sold Skuse when he was in his prime and might have played for promoted or Prem side according to his manager?

Surely the body of games at the second tier shows Skuse is easily on a par if not beyond Judge?

Different type of players though. Agree that Skuse has been a great servant to the ITFC cause.
Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:52 - Oct 11 with 936 viewsjaykay

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 09:33 - Oct 11 by Mullet

No. Skuse is hated by people with a chip on their shoulder or potatoes for eyes. He's never produced a performance, let alone months of them, as bad as Judge did.

The need to find blame for players or excuse them based on prejudice is why people are blubbing about Chambers and Bishop celebrating goals etc.

We won 4-1, Judge played a part. Anyone worried about the months where we built a relegation side around him in that context is being odd.

strange i thought lambert was the scapegoat on here. the most vocal on here ,find something nearly every day to say something bad against him .

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:57 - Oct 11 with 935 viewsBlueBadger

Has Alan Judge officially taken over Cole Skuse's mantle? on 11:52 - Oct 11 by jaykay

strange i thought lambert was the scapegoat on here. the most vocal on here ,find something nearly every day to say something bad against him .

In all fairness, the fact that he took us to the limpest relegation ever, spunked away an astonishingly good start to a league season and kept us down and has taken nearly two years to settle on a formation, first XI and style of play AND needed to be told b our owner that's what he should be doing in the first place may have led some of us to the conclusion that he's not a very good football manager.

Even now, there's a suspicion that at some point he'll start tinkering again. Hell, he's still determined to shoehorn in the underwhelming Judge, regardless of how suitable he is to the positions he's shoe-honing him in at.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024