Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
self employed 10:36 - Nov 6 with 3706 viewstextbackup

some still able to work this lock down, and did last..... but also claiming 2500 a month. equating to 15k

that cant be right, can it?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

self employed on 10:50 - Nov 6 with 1906 viewsportmanking

If you're self-employed and working you shouldn't be claiming SEISS...

HMRC is launching large-scale investigations into those it suspects are claiming fraudulently, so anyone thinking of claiming it regardless should be careful.
self employed on 11:03 - Nov 6 with 1887 viewstextbackup

self employed on 10:50 - Nov 6 by portmanking

HMRC is launching large-scale investigations into those it suspects are claiming fraudulently, so anyone thinking of claiming it regardless should be careful.

Mate of mine was told by his accountant that there no restrictions on this the first time round. Worked pretty much every day, then got a ‘bonus’ of 7500!

This time plans to do the same thing

self employed on 11:09 - Nov 6 with 1874 viewstextbackup

self employed on 10:50 - Nov 6 by portmanking

Doesn’t actually say if u are working you shouldn’t claim it though.

It says currently actively trading but are impacted by reduced demands...

self employed on 11:33 - Nov 6 with 1839 viewsitfcjoe

self employed on 11:09 - Nov 6 by textbackup

Yep, think you just need to be able to show your work has been effected by it - but there's not really an option to just top up so just the full amount or nothing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

self employed on 11:37 - Nov 6 with 1832 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

self employed on 11:09 - Nov 6 by textbackup

Absolutely. Will be seeing how this current lockdown impacts earnings before considering claiming the next one.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

self employed on 11:47 - Nov 6 with 1808 viewsStokieBlue

self employed on 11:03 - Nov 6 by textbackup

Mate of mine was told by his accountant that there no restrictions on this the first time round. Worked pretty much every day, then got a ‘bonus’ of 7500!

This time plans to do the same thing

That's outrageous.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

self employed on 11:48 - Nov 6 with 1810 viewsallezlesbleus

As I was saying on another thread, some companies / individuals have benefited greatly with the various incentives on offer, whilst others have been hit really hard.

I understand that it is a tough call for the government to help all those in need, but maybe some form of check / aid / rebate could be applied to companies / individuals who have a history of making profits and paying taxes on those profits but at the end of this financial year post a loss??
self employed on 11:55 - Nov 6 with 1792 viewstextbackup

self employed on 11:33 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

Yep, think you just need to be able to show your work has been effected by it - but there's not really an option to just top up so just the full amount or nothing

mad isn't it.

my wife for example cant work (beauty trade) so she'll be claiming it.... once she goes back she can still claim due to the amount of clients she can see at any one time being restricted with the new measures.

however, mate X we shall call him, worked probably more than he normally would have in lockdown 1 as hospitals needed additional work doing etc. they'll all get hit with massive tax bills is my guess?

Login to get fewer ads

self employed on 11:57 - Nov 6 with 1785 viewsportmanking

self employed on 11:55 - Nov 6 by textbackup

mad isn't it.

my wife for example cant work (beauty trade) so she'll be claiming it.... once she goes back she can still claim due to the amount of clients she can see at any one time being restricted with the new measures.

however, mate X we shall call him, worked probably more than he normally would have in lockdown 1 as hospitals needed additional work doing etc. they'll all get hit with massive tax bills is my guess?

Of course they will. The SEISS is a taxable grant.
self employed on 11:57 - Nov 6 with 1788 viewsitfcjoe

self employed on 11:48 - Nov 6 by allezlesbleus

As I was saying on another thread, some companies / individuals have benefited greatly with the various incentives on offer, whilst others have been hit really hard.

I understand that it is a tough call for the government to help all those in need, but maybe some form of check / aid / rebate could be applied to companies / individuals who have a history of making profits and paying taxes on those profits but at the end of this financial year post a loss??

I think it needed to go sector specific at some point, once the initial madness was out the way

We were back after about 12 weeks, but the furlough was perfect for what we needed, but we got everyone back basically as early as we could when work opened back up.Plenty of companies have left people on furlough, or part time when there is no need - I have a few friends getting massively frustrated by their status still, as their company just pushes it out and out depending on latest announcements.

Whilst some businesses will be saved by this going to march, and it is totally needed, there will be lots who now see an opportunity to keep costs doewn for longer.

There are certain industries that need it, but businesses outside those industries need to be making their case as to why they still require it

self employed on 11:58 - Nov 6 with 1777 viewstractorboy1978

mad isn't it.

80%/60% (depending on tax bracket they fall into) of something is still better than 100% of nothing.
self employed on 12:03 - Nov 6 with 1768 viewstextbackup

self employed on 11:58 - Nov 6 by tractorboy1978

80%/60% (depending on tax bracket they fall into) of something is still better than 100% of nothing.

absolutely agree, but that that wasn't the point/question.

self employed on 12:05 - Nov 6 with 1764 viewsMookamoo

mad isn't it.

I've been advised by my accountant to claim for what I can get - if I have to give some back once my tax return is calculated, then so be it.

I have no real idea of my income for the year. I've got outstanding invoices totalling about £3000 from people who are no longer in a position to pay.

First lockdown 80% was about right as I had about 20% of billable work to do. At the moment I guess I'm on about 60% of what i should be billing, but there isn't the option to claim less than 80%. That said, I've just been hit by all the clients who are cancelling Christmas events, so billable work is going to drop in December.
self employed on 12:08 - Nov 6 with 1757 viewsitfcjoe

mad isn't it.

It's a difficult one, and hard to blame people for taking it as likely economy going to get a massive downturn in the future and it secures them to an extent for future losses.

The bill for Covid is going to be absolutely enormous for the taxpayer, and we and our children (and their children) will be paying it forever as it is so anything that softens the blow now is probably worth it

self employed on 12:12 - Nov 6 with 1743 viewsSpruceMoose

self employed on 11:47 - Nov 6 by StokieBlue

That's outrageous.

SB

Wonder how many free meals for kids that would cover!?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

self employed on 12:13 - Nov 6 with 1740 viewsmonytowbray

Don't end up in prison Texters!

I mean I'm in the same boat and haven't had a penny off the government but I also haven't applied as I'm paying bills and functioning (alas my income is down). How did you end up with that money? Did you apply?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

self employed on 12:16 - Nov 6 with 1725 viewsmonytowbray

self employed on 12:12 - Nov 6 by SpruceMoose

Wonder how many free meals for kids that would cover!?

Texters robbing a couple of grand off the government ain't that much of a problem IMO, seeing as it's a drop in the ocean vs what those in charge and their donors have nicked off us. Although the moral thing would be arguably to give it back, I'd also debate he should chuck it straight at a charity and tell authority to stick it. Not the easiest route to take though, choose your battles and all that.

I'm currently debating sending a letter to Ipswich council requesting my council tax is wavered in line with the breaks Cummings has got on his £30k bill. Imagine if the whole country went on civil tax strike? I'm into it.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

self employed on 12:17 - Nov 6 with 1723 viewsportmanking

self employed on 12:08 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

It's a difficult one, and hard to blame people for taking it as likely economy going to get a massive downturn in the future and it secures them to an extent for future losses.

The bill for Covid is going to be absolutely enormous for the taxpayer, and we and our children (and their children) will be paying it forever as it is so anything that softens the blow now is probably worth it

Sorry, that's ridiculous. Just because we might have to pay another 1-2% tax in the coming years doesn't excuse taking money from the Treasury unnecessarily that would be better spent elsewhere.
self employed on 12:20 - Nov 6 with 1712 viewstextbackup

self employed on 12:13 - Nov 6 by monytowbray

Don't end up in prison Texters!

I mean I'm in the same boat and haven't had a penny off the government but I also haven't applied as I'm paying bills and functioning (alas my income is down). How did you end up with that money? Did you apply?

hand on heart it isn't me....

I was fortune to be working throughout from home, advised by the company that pay me lol.

and the time I did cross hmrc, child tax credit thing, I paid that back in full and cancelled future payments as didn't want that stress!

self employed on 12:21 - Nov 6 with 1706 viewsitfcjoe

self employed on 12:17 - Nov 6 by portmanking

Sorry, that's ridiculous. Just because we might have to pay another 1-2% tax in the coming years doesn't excuse taking money from the Treasury unnecessarily that would be better spent elsewhere.

Mookamoo's post above states how he is trading at such a lower level, Texters wife is in beauty industry so when shes back she can't see as many clients and earn as much money - I don't blame anyone taking more who is worried about what is coming up in the future, there will of course be some who take the P.

But a recession is coming, and it will be caused by Covid, with the fact that there are no options on how much to claim it means it is all or nothing - people will go all as nearly everyone will have been effected in some way whether it is a slowdown of work, increased PPE spending, having to take longer to do jobs due to H&S restrictions etc

self employed on 12:24 - Nov 6 with 1695 viewsportmanking

self employed on 12:21 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

Mookamoo's post above states how he is trading at such a lower level, Texters wife is in beauty industry so when shes back she can't see as many clients and earn as much money - I don't blame anyone taking more who is worried about what is coming up in the future, there will of course be some who take the P.

But a recession is coming, and it will be caused by Covid, with the fact that there are no options on how much to claim it means it is all or nothing - people will go all as nearly everyone will have been effected in some way whether it is a slowdown of work, increased PPE spending, having to take longer to do jobs due to H&S restrictions etc

I have no issue with those like Mookamoo who have lost significant chunks of income through no fault of their own. I thought this thread was about those claiming it whilst continuing to work? No excuse for this, whatsoever.
self employed on 12:26 - Nov 6 with 1689 viewsStokieBlue

self employed on 12:21 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

But in the first example posted his friend was working as much or more than before and that is against the rules of the scheme if you are planning to claim and thus is fraud.

From the Gov website:

declare that they intend to continue to trade and either:

are currently actively trading but are impacted by reduced demand due to coronavirus
were previously trading but are temporarily unable to do so due to coronavirus

He doesn't meet either of those criteria so he is committing fraud against the taxpayer which isn't OK. If someone is not trading at pre-C19 levels due to the restrictions they should of course use the scheme.

It annoys me that people are trying to game the system at this time of all times.

SB
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 12:26]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

self employed on 12:26 - Nov 6 with 1686 viewsitfcjoe

self employed on 12:24 - Nov 6 by portmanking

I have no issue with those like Mookamoo who have lost significant chunks of income through no fault of their own. I thought this thread was about those claiming it whilst continuing to work? No excuse for this, whatsoever.

But very few are able work to 100% capacity, even if it is 90% their option is to either lose 10% and claim nothing, or claim everything.

I'm happier with people being better off, than worse off, as long as they pay their taxes etc

self employed on 12:30 - Nov 6 with 1674 viewsportmanking

self employed on 12:26 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

But very few are able work to 100% capacity, even if it is 90% their option is to either lose 10% and claim nothing, or claim everything.

I'm happier with people being better off, than worse off, as long as they pay their taxes etc

Why should someone who loses 10% of their income be able to get an 80% top-up on their monthly income?! You're not coming across well here at all...
self employed on 12:31 - Nov 6 with 1671 viewsMookamoo

self employed on 12:26 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

and the reason its available is because they have paid their taxes as its based on the previous 3 years returns. Those that have tries to avoid what was due are now suffering.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024