Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't 16:42 - Feb 26 with 3867 viewsbluelagos

Fun thread - given sfa has been signed/agreed.

But...What American sporting thingys would you take - and what would you not?

I'll take:
Tailgate parties - we could turn the car park into a massive prematch pissup with barbqueues going all afternoon.
American service levels in the bars.

No thanks:
Cheer leaders
Kit colour changes
Line dancing - in any format - anywhere near the pitch.
Cow boy hats in Towen colours.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:45 - Feb 26 with 2048 viewsfooters

Please don't promote us in the States.

And ban the suffix -ful from any statement. Healthful is not a fcking word.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:45 - Feb 26 with 2042 viewsartsbossbeard

As long as my old US work counterpart Randy Bender is involved, I'm all in.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:46 - Feb 26 with 2031 viewsbluelagos

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:45 - Feb 26 by footers

Please don't promote us in the States.

And ban the suffix -ful from any statement. Healthful is not a fcking word.

That's a bit harshful Footers

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:46 - Feb 26 with 2023 viewsRocky

Riding Bluey in a rodeo.
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:47 - Feb 26 with 2019 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'll bagsie the cheerleaders then if you don't want them.

And the other thing we should introduce is being able to keep the ball if it goes into the crowd.

But I'm drawing the line at having interruptions between play, when they bring out the mascot, hotdog and popcorn stands, music, fireworks. They can make a game of rounders last 4 hours.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:48 - Feb 26 with 2008 viewsfooters

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:46 - Feb 26 by bluelagos

That's a bit harshful Footers

Oh, and any changes to the universal standard date format will see a one-man protest outside PR. I've got handcuffs and superglue and everything.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:48 - Feb 26 with 2005 viewsflettonblue

MAKE IPSWICH GREAT AGAIN
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:52 - Feb 26 with 1975 viewsChrisabian

I'd like to add "y'all" to the no thanks list.
Login to get fewer ads

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:52 - Feb 26 with 1969 viewsJ2BLUE

Yes please:

American service
American interest

No thanks:

Half time shows
Cheerleaders
High 5s
Declaring ourselves world champions when we win the Prem
Owners being presented with trophies

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:55 - Feb 26 with 1961 viewsBloomBlue

I'll take
It's called football

No thanks
It's called soccer
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:58 - Feb 26 with 1943 viewsbluelagos

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:55 - Feb 26 by BloomBlue

I'll take
It's called football

No thanks
It's called soccer

How did I miss "Soccer" from my no thanks list?

It's a ball and you use your foot to kick it...it's not hard yankeeboy.

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:58 - Feb 26 with 1939 viewsChurchman

Take:
Tailgate parties
Decent burgers with fries and trays for your food like you get at Baseball
Pay your dollar, get your dollars worth
Decent mascot with attitude
Good presentation (go to an NFL game and they make it an ‘event’)
Chicken wings
American quality cheerleaders

No to:
Budweiser
Any use of the term ‘winning-est’
American chocolate like Reece’s
Calling football soccer and NFL football
Tipping
Rubbish American cars
People saying have a nice day
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 17:00]
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:59 - Feb 26 with 1933 viewsJ2BLUE

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:58 - Feb 26 by bluelagos

And their football rarely uses the feet to touch the ball...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:10 - Feb 26 with 1888 viewsGlasgowBlue

James Norwood's pink cleats.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:15 - Feb 26 with 1870 viewsbluelagos

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:10 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

James Norwood's pink cleats.

You're an entrepreneur Glassers - someone needs to get a load of those hats on sale asap!

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:17 - Feb 26 with 1851 viewsGlasgowBlue

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:15 - Feb 26 by bluelagos

You're an entrepreneur Glassers - someone needs to get a load of those hats on sale asap!

I would imagine Lucan already has a shipment of them coming in from China as we speak. Probably on Newcy's ship.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:18 - Feb 26 with 1845 viewsMattinLondon

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:55 - Feb 26 by BloomBlue

I'll take
It's called football

No thanks
It's called soccer

Soccer is a British word rather than an Americanism.
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:20 - Feb 26 with 1839 viewsbluelagos

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:17 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

I would imagine Lucan already has a shipment of them coming in from China as we speak. Probably on Newcy's ship.

Someone will make a few quid. I would but then the deal would probably collapse the minute I put the order in.

There was the guy at Highbury who had a job lot of "I saw John Jenson score" t-shirts in a lock up ready for the magical day. He had to wait a while but made his money eventually.

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:22 - Feb 26 with 1825 viewsjeera

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:48 - Feb 26 by footers

Oh, and any changes to the universal standard date format will see a one-man protest outside PR. I've got handcuffs and superglue and everything.

We'd gathered that but what about the protest?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Americanisms? on 17:22 - Feb 26 with 1830 viewsScottCandage

Never heard of them ;)
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:24 - Feb 26 with 1822 viewsSwansea_Blue

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:58 - Feb 26 by bluelagos

It's surprising how quickly you adjust. I had to consciously stop myself using the word when I got back from the States.

You'll be shouting for us to get the ball in the offensive end zone before you know it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:24 - Feb 26 with 1823 viewsLord_Lucan

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:17 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

It's impossible to get anything out of China at present as all the empty containers are either in the wrong part of the world or sitting by the hundreds of thousands in ports around the globe full of PPE which is either faulty or going to go out of date before you know it.

A couple of weeks ago the freight price of a 40ft HQ had gone up from about $2,500 to $13,000 for normal goods. It has gone down to around $7,500 now CNY is over. Our stuff is hazardous so we generally pay nearly 4 times the normal rate.

I have just realised I've rambled. Apologies - but I'm having a mare. I have spent all afternoon filling in bloody forms to export to Northern Ireland, it's a nightmare.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:25 - Feb 26 with 1814 viewssnudge27

Nacho hats.

Poll: Who is the best Lord?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:29 - Feb 26 with 1791 viewsbluelagos

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:24 - Feb 26 by Swansea_Blue

It's surprising how quickly you adjust. I had to consciously stop myself using the word when I got back from the States.

You'll be shouting for us to get the ball in the offensive end zone before you know it.

Please no. Went to the World Cup in 94 and the crowds would applaud a David Linighan style clearance and shout "yardage" as the ball flew to no one in particular.

Remembered another one - hearing a commentator at one of the matches talking about a guy "making a goal past the net minder".

Worst of all was an American fan asking me what baseball team my ITFC flag was. Closest I've been to a murder charge yet.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 17:36]

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:29 - Feb 26 with 1787 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

I'm really looking forward to a complete rebranding - the Soccer AllStars!

And a new Mul-tie-colored team jersey!

And the franchise moving to Clacton and a new, drive-thru' Socceradium.

And extra-wide seats to fit the lard-arses. Got to have those.

And people selling beer in the stadium to your seat, shouting 'Hey Beer!'.

This could be the beginning of the end, but we'll be going down in flame-grilled burger flames, and I'd take that over ME's damp sausage-roll.

USA! USA! USA!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024