Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't 16:42 - Feb 26 with 3937 viewsbluelagos

Fun thread - given sfa has been signed/agreed.

But...What American sporting thingys would you take - and what would you not?

I'll take:
Tailgate parties - we could turn the car park into a massive prematch pissup with barbqueues going all afternoon.
American service levels in the bars.

No thanks:
Cheer leaders
Kit colour changes
Line dancing - in any format - anywhere near the pitch.
Cow boy hats in Towen colours.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:08 - Feb 26 with 1551 viewsGeoffSentence

Bollox to all the americanisms. These past few years have been freakishly bad, I'm just looking forward to a bit of normalcy.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:11 - Feb 26 with 1545 viewsTrequartista

We already have too many, so i refuse to progress this thread and reach out with my picks.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:12 - Feb 26 with 1538 viewsDeano69

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:48 - Feb 26 by flettonblue

MAKE IPSWICH GREAT AGAIN

BUILD A WALL (in defence)

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:17 - Feb 26 with 1527 viewsSwansea_Blue

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:29 - Feb 26 by bluelagos

Please no. Went to the World Cup in 94 and the crowds would applaud a David Linighan style clearance and shout "yardage" as the ball flew to no one in particular.

Remembered another one - hearing a commentator at one of the matches talking about a guy "making a goal past the net minder".

Worst of all was an American fan asking me what baseball team my ITFC flag was. Closest I've been to a murder charge yet.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 17:36]

I like yardage. That would have been immense under Mick. Mileage even.

I bet the WC was a great experience though, even if a bit of an alien one. I loved going to sporting events in the US, just annoyed we never got to a decent football game (couldn't get tickets for gold dust for the Patriots). I did go down for boston for the hockey though, which was very good. And we saw minor league baseball and quite a lot of colleague league stuff. And some women's football, which was pretty good.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:20 - Feb 26 with 1516 viewsRadlett_blue

I wonder if the new owner will say "The Ipswich Blues are a great franchise".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:25 - Feb 26 with 1510 viewssolemio

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:55 - Feb 26 by BloomBlue

I'll take
It's called football

No thanks
It's called soccer

I thought it's pronounced saaacer.
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:30 - Feb 26 with 1498 viewsreusersfreekicks

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:58 - Feb 26 by Churchman

Take:
Tailgate parties
Decent burgers with fries and trays for your food like you get at Baseball
Pay your dollar, get your dollars worth
Decent mascot with attitude
Good presentation (go to an NFL game and they make it an ‘event’)
Chicken wings
American quality cheerleaders

No to:
Budweiser
Any use of the term ‘winning-est’
American chocolate like Reece’s
Calling football soccer and NFL football
Tipping
Rubbish American cars
People saying have a nice day
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 17:00]

That would be the beginning of the end. Cheerleaders = institututionalised sexism
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:41 - Feb 26 with 1485 viewsbluelagos

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:17 - Feb 26 by Swansea_Blue

I like yardage. That would have been immense under Mick. Mileage even.

I bet the WC was a great experience though, even if a bit of an alien one. I loved going to sporting events in the US, just annoyed we never got to a decent football game (couldn't get tickets for gold dust for the Patriots). I did go down for boston for the hockey though, which was very good. And we saw minor league baseball and quite a lot of colleague league stuff. And some women's football, which was pretty good.

An experience for sure, but a wasted world cup imho. Especially as it was supposed to be the stepping stone for MLS which then folded a few years later.

Login to get fewer ads

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 19:55 - Feb 26 with 1446 viewsbritbiker

On the ban list- badly sung national anthem before kick off.
Food allowed all game. Who wants some lard arse sitting next to you eating his stink burgers whilst the game is in full flow.
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 20:57 - Feb 26 with 1431 viewsronnyd

Are we allowed to say that we're "sitting on our fannies" watching "sports".
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 21:06 - Feb 26 with 1429 viewsNewcyBlue

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 17:24 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

It's impossible to get anything out of China at present as all the empty containers are either in the wrong part of the world or sitting by the hundreds of thousands in ports around the globe full of PPE which is either faulty or going to go out of date before you know it.

A couple of weeks ago the freight price of a 40ft HQ had gone up from about $2,500 to $13,000 for normal goods. It has gone down to around $7,500 now CNY is over. Our stuff is hazardous so we generally pay nearly 4 times the normal rate.

I have just realised I've rambled. Apologies - but I'm having a mare. I have spent all afternoon filling in bloody forms to export to Northern Ireland, it's a nightmare.

We loaded Max empties out of Brazil.

I ended up leaving 60 40fters on the quay as some of my twistlocks wouldn’t have held them in heavy weather.

It ended up being a very good call, although the ear ache I got for it at the time was not much fun.

I’ve ordered an additional 1050 twistlocks so we can bring even more back over from Brazil next time.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 21:21 - Feb 26 with 1421 viewsMedwayTractor

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:08 - Feb 26 by GeoffSentence

Bollox to all the americanisms. These past few years have been freakishly bad, I'm just looking forward to a bit of normalcy.

Normality, please as you are insisting on not using American terms.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 21:31 - Feb 26 with 1421 viewsLord_Lucan

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 21:06 - Feb 26 by NewcyBlue

We loaded Max empties out of Brazil.

I ended up leaving 60 40fters on the quay as some of my twistlocks wouldn’t have held them in heavy weather.

It ended up being a very good call, although the ear ache I got for it at the time was not much fun.

I’ve ordered an additional 1050 twistlocks so we can bring even more back over from Brazil next time.

What do you think is going to happen long term?

China imports begger all so never have emptys. The vessels these days seem to be like permanent droppers as they simply load and unload without taking emptys on. They seem to be permanent delivery vehicles with no rest.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 21:46 - Feb 26 with 1411 viewsNewcyBlue

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 21:31 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

What do you think is going to happen long term?

China imports begger all so never have emptys. The vessels these days seem to be like permanent droppers as they simply load and unload without taking emptys on. They seem to be permanent delivery vehicles with no rest.

Personally I would use feeder vessel to move empties to hub ports like Algeciras and Rotterdam which are normally last call of the coast East Bound to China.

From there, the massive ships can load the empties on top of the full cargo eastbound. Generally Eastbound ships carry less cargo, so filling up with Max empties will help.

That’s the only way they will be able to do it really. Loading empties here and there will only evacuate a few at a time.

We had in excess of 2500 empties loaded from Santos to the Far East. That was almost half the containers on board.

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 23:04 - Feb 26 with 1375 viewsLord_Lucan

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 21:46 - Feb 26 by NewcyBlue

Personally I would use feeder vessel to move empties to hub ports like Algeciras and Rotterdam which are normally last call of the coast East Bound to China.

From there, the massive ships can load the empties on top of the full cargo eastbound. Generally Eastbound ships carry less cargo, so filling up with Max empties will help.

That’s the only way they will be able to do it really. Loading empties here and there will only evacuate a few at a time.

We had in excess of 2500 empties loaded from Santos to the Far East. That was almost half the containers on board.

Fair point but I can't see how they can ever catch up seeing that China imports hardly anything.

I pop to Languard sometimes to see a boat coming in and get worked upon - mainly because I'm a sad bastard, but I can now use my grandson as cover. No one knows I sometimes popped down there before he was born.

Ultimately I cannot see how China will ever get enough empties back, I'm sure Unigate had the same problem.

So we are left with two options IMHO. Manufacturing more containers resulting in a container problem akin to plastic bottles or running vessels to collect the empties and take them back.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 23:13 - Feb 26 with 1360 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's a PK! Score this and the East Anglian All-Stars could be 3 and oh. Badly mistimed by the opposition quarterback in the Suffolk side's offensive zone.

Enough of a taste for you?

Exciting isn't it?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 23:20 - Feb 26 with 1349 viewsNewcyBlue

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 23:04 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

Fair point but I can't see how they can ever catch up seeing that China imports hardly anything.

I pop to Languard sometimes to see a boat coming in and get worked upon - mainly because I'm a sad bastard, but I can now use my grandson as cover. No one knows I sometimes popped down there before he was born.

Ultimately I cannot see how China will ever get enough empties back, I'm sure Unigate had the same problem.

So we are left with two options IMHO. Manufacturing more containers resulting in a container problem akin to plastic bottles or running vessels to collect the empties and take them back.

Running vessels specifically for empties is an option, especially considering the freight rates at the moment.

Container production in China has been ramped up somewhat.

Really it’s the reefers and IMDG that make the money. The reefer containers will be the ones that are shipped back as empties first.

Flat racks are easy too, a bunch of them can be bundled together to ship back empty.

Then the dry containers can be shipped back.

That’s what I’ve seen of general priority.

The massive box boats will never be used solely for empty containers, it will be the ones like I am on at the moment the 6000-10000 TEU boats. We would most likely do it as part of a positioning effort, where a ship is to change run or due to go to dry dock in the Far East.

But for now, they’re just filling empty spaces on the east bound legs with empties.

As is normal with shipping, they will react to the problem rather than be proactive.

Landguard is interesting for watching the ships come in, last time I was there some ship spotting geek was telling me what would be happening on board. He got it pretty wrong. I just stood there nodding along and walked away.

Someone else was trying to sell photos of ship....

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 23:21 - Feb 26 with 1349 viewsGodzilla

As American sport consumers only seem capable of managing a one three syllable chant I will happily take that we only ever need to sing Ip-Swich-Town to match the superb and complex U-S-A chant used at every major sporting event for the last thirty years.
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 23:45 - Feb 26 with 1333 viewsLord_Lucan

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 23:20 - Feb 26 by NewcyBlue

Running vessels specifically for empties is an option, especially considering the freight rates at the moment.

Container production in China has been ramped up somewhat.

Really it’s the reefers and IMDG that make the money. The reefer containers will be the ones that are shipped back as empties first.

Flat racks are easy too, a bunch of them can be bundled together to ship back empty.

Then the dry containers can be shipped back.

That’s what I’ve seen of general priority.

The massive box boats will never be used solely for empty containers, it will be the ones like I am on at the moment the 6000-10000 TEU boats. We would most likely do it as part of a positioning effort, where a ship is to change run or due to go to dry dock in the Far East.

But for now, they’re just filling empty spaces on the east bound legs with empties.

As is normal with shipping, they will react to the problem rather than be proactive.

Landguard is interesting for watching the ships come in, last time I was there some ship spotting geek was telling me what would be happening on board. He got it pretty wrong. I just stood there nodding along and walked away.

Someone else was trying to sell photos of ship....

Well I don't profess to be as knowledgeable as you but here's our next problem.

Currently the only ports accepting our goods ex China are Shanghai and HK - although as we stand you cannot get Shanghai to UK with class 1 - but you can to Rotterdam, so is the problem with Felixstowe and Southampton?

To go via HK means we have to truck everything to Behai and get a feeder boat to HK - which sounds simple as a truck only takes 20 hours whereas we generally ship to Shanghai up the river from Hunan which takes 7 days.

The problem now though is that Behai thinks everything coming out of Hunan is dodgy so they don't want it. In effect we cannot move our goods.

We need Ningbo to accept class 1 but they don't want to know.

Guess what! The whole thing is down to money as Mr Tan controls it and he aint budging baby. Seriously, Mr Tan is a thing!!

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 00:17 - Feb 27 with 1317 viewsNewcyBlue

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 23:45 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

Well I don't profess to be as knowledgeable as you but here's our next problem.

Currently the only ports accepting our goods ex China are Shanghai and HK - although as we stand you cannot get Shanghai to UK with class 1 - but you can to Rotterdam, so is the problem with Felixstowe and Southampton?

To go via HK means we have to truck everything to Behai and get a feeder boat to HK - which sounds simple as a truck only takes 20 hours whereas we generally ship to Shanghai up the river from Hunan which takes 7 days.

The problem now though is that Behai thinks everything coming out of Hunan is dodgy so they don't want it. In effect we cannot move our goods.

We need Ningbo to accept class 1 but they don't want to know.

Guess what! The whole thing is down to money as Mr Tan controls it and he aint budging baby. Seriously, Mr Tan is a thing!!

Chinese ports have been restricting IMDG since the Tianjin incident. They’ve been getting more and more stringent.

I know Felixstowe has pretty stringent rules for 1.3/1.4 including fining the importer if the 1.3 is in the port for over 24 hours, and 1.4 must be landed direct onto the collecting vehicle.

I have contacts at the port if you have any questions or need help.

I can also get in touch with our container booking team if you have any questions, I was quite friendly with one of the girls in Liverpool and she will always help me out!

IMDG is an utter pain for me, the reporting is getting worse. I take rounds everyday checking the IMDG cargo specifically.

After the Maersk Honam incident we have risk zones on our ships these days for loading IMDG, and it’s a constant fight to get the planners to load the right containers in their respective risk zone.

After Evergreen had an IMDG incident they stopped accepting IMDG for a while. I think they now have such hefty fines for misdeclared IMDG that shippers don’t bother going with them.

I carried coal from South America to the Far East, whilst not an IMDG, we consider it as such. 284 containers of daily temperature checks by infrared gun.

If you need any help let me know, I’ve got contacts in various places.

I really should get you down for a visit next time I am on a ship there.

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 08:17 - Feb 27 with 1261 viewstheipswichfile

I know I'm late to the party, but does nobody else remember when we had cheerleaders before?

I swear it has happened at least twice during ME's era but I can't remember who the manager was. I'm pretty sure I was still a teenager (I vividly remember the discomfort) so I am inclined to think Roy Keane, maybe it was even Magilton.

As far as I remember they danced to Kernkraft 400 Zombie Nation in front of the Cobbold. I know this all sounds mental but I'm adamant this very uncomfortable experience happened before the match and at half time - anyone recall?
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 08:29 - Feb 27 with 1252 viewsbluelagos

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 08:17 - Feb 27 by theipswichfile

I know I'm late to the party, but does nobody else remember when we had cheerleaders before?

I swear it has happened at least twice during ME's era but I can't remember who the manager was. I'm pretty sure I was still a teenager (I vividly remember the discomfort) so I am inclined to think Roy Keane, maybe it was even Magilton.

As far as I remember they danced to Kernkraft 400 Zombie Nation in front of the Cobbold. I know this all sounds mental but I'm adamant this very uncomfortable experience happened before the match and at half time - anyone recall?

There have been cheerleaders on a number of occasions and at a number of clubs, including town for sure.

West Ham and Palace from memory had long established cheerleaders.

The Town ones it would be fair to observe had dancers of all shapes, sizes and a varying ability to dance in time, which kind of made it quite funny to watch.

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 08:37 - Feb 27 with 1244 viewstheipswichfile

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 08:29 - Feb 27 by bluelagos

There have been cheerleaders on a number of occasions and at a number of clubs, including town for sure.

West Ham and Palace from memory had long established cheerleaders.

The Town ones it would be fair to observe had dancers of all shapes, sizes and a varying ability to dance in time, which kind of made it quite funny to watch.

Thank God it wasn't a fever dream!

I do remember them being of all shapes and sizes as I was about two rows back from the pitch and locked in agonising eye contact with one of them whilst my brother barely controlled a snigger.

For me, it was the song choices that were most comical - pretty sure they also bopped to Pump It Up and Sandstorm - classic.
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 08:40 - Feb 27 with 1237 viewsCrawfordsboot

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 16:45 - Feb 26 by footers

Please don't promote us in the States.

And ban the suffix -ful from any statement. Healthful is not a fcking word.

Not even if we are successful?
Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 08:43 - Feb 27 with 1233 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Americanisms you'll happily take and ones you won't on 18:08 - Feb 26 by GeoffSentence

Junior announced her intention to buy a 'fanny pack' last night and was severely reprimanded.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024