Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A huge number of posters with the view that Cook 10:13 - Apr 6 with 1609 viewsCheltenham_Blue

must tear this squad apart. A view that I also subscribe to.

This squad isn't good enough, its never been good enough, and Evans condemned us to this the day after relegation with that ridiculous statement which as much as said, 'We aren't going to rebuild, we are going to stick with the same players, and use the kids, and only the kids'

This is the same squad that was relegated with all the fight of a wet fart, and yet somehow, we were being told they were good enough to not just get promoted but also to win it. I think Lambert knew that this side wasn't good enough, as he immediately poured water on it. "Our aim has to be the play offs", If my recollection is correct, this was before a ball was kicked.

Two years later and we are now all in agreement that this squad is just not enough to get out of this league, or to stay in the Championship, but here's the thing that people are going to have to get used to.

Some of the kids are going to be released.

It's not outside the realms of possibility that all of Nydam, El Mizouni, Przybek, Folami, Morris, Clements, Gibbs, Andoh, Z Brown, K Brown, Hughes and Wright could be released or at best only offered 1 year extensions.

There is likely to be a lot of upset posters on here, and lots of posts about not giving our youth a chance, but If I'm honest, I think this club needs a complete re-set, and I'm going to support it, no matter who the owners are.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 10:25 - Apr 6 with 1554 viewsjayessess

A lot of them will be released, but given that they total less than 10 appearances between them over the course of the 2 seasons, I'm not sure why that's relevant to our first team's performances?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 10:30 - Apr 6 with 1520 viewsBelsteadCav

If any of the list of youngsters were good enough, they’d be in the first team.

I get the idea that the squad is massive, and the pathway is blocked. But if they were standing out and setting training alight they’d be playing.

Maybe the academy isn’t doing it’s a job

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 10:39 - Apr 6 with 1487 viewsdavblue

I think the squad of players individual ability is good enough for the top 6.

Where it isn't good enough is, the collective ability, mental ability. As a group of players this lot will never do anything here, it's appears to be a totally broken team, they appear to have had their will broken down by the previous management team and it's at such a low ebb, they don't know how to play football, freely, off the cuff and with enjoyment also.

Going to Rochdale bottom of the league and not having a shot on target with the ability of the players for this league show's there's something drastically wrong with the mentality of these players.

Evans leaving Lambert in place for so long has probably cost himself more money with players leaving on frees as well as the pay off for his services.

It's been as negligent a 17 months as i can remember from Evans, the contract, leaving Lambert in place when he was damaging the club, assets for the club and he let the rot set in well and truly by enabling Lambert to run the club that way. It's shocking state of affairs that's on Evans' shoulders.

The quicker Evans is out of here the better he's been a disaster.
A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 10:48 - Apr 6 with 1450 viewsRegencyBlue

The squad we have is the result of years of neglect.

We have shopped in the bargain basement for replacements after selling our better players again and again. On the few occasions we have spent money it’s generally been spent badly.

It’s a complete shambles and I can’t see Evans funding the rebuild required.
A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:01 - Apr 6 with 1401 viewsChurchman

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 10:48 - Apr 6 by RegencyBlue

The squad we have is the result of years of neglect.

We have shopped in the bargain basement for replacements after selling our better players again and again. On the few occasions we have spent money it’s generally been spent badly.

It’s a complete shambles and I can’t see Evans funding the rebuild required.

And this is my worry. The club hasn’t been funded properly in any way for years. Evans isn't going to start now.

Empty promises will accompany the season ticket renewal as usual. Fresh start, new manager, blah blah. He might even promise to buy some oil for the club lawnmower, but people don’t change and Evans will do what he’s always done, sadly.
A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:05 - Apr 6 with 1393 viewsGuthrum

Regardless of individual ability, I don't think the squad is properly balanced, except maybe at the back (and even there we lack cover, to an extent).

With the strikers, anyone who is good at hold-up play cannot then hit the target and vice versa.

We have sort of wide men, but no real wingers - men who can run with the ball down the sideline, beating defenders and putting in a decent cross. Plus we insist on using fullbacks for that role, meaning they are up the pitch when it comes to defending.

We have a mass of central midfielders none of whom are that good at linking up play between defence and attack. They are either defensive disruptors or supposedly attackers, never both. Only Dobra seems able to run with the ball (Bishop also can, but seems to have forgotten how to). We don't have anybody like that Rathbone yesterday, who seemed to be absolutely everywhere on the pitch at any time an intervention was needed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:07 - Apr 6 with 1371 viewschicoazul

I’d much rather see us bumble along in League One (as is our new medium term fate) with a team of our own youths and the odd signing rather than a whole new squad brought in on good wages only to achieve the same result. The only time Ipswich Town FC has ever been successful is when we have had a good number of our own players in the team with a sprinkling of signings and a highly experience pro or 3.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:23 - Apr 6 with 1300 viewsHARRY10

It will be interesting to see how many of those released in the summer manage to find another club at our level or above. Even then I am certain they won't be on the pay level they are here.

Clubs will have taken a huge financial hit this season, and there is no guarantee that things will be back to normal next season either.

In that light I can see a fair bit of belt tightening, and players being offered far less, with the view of 'take it or leave it' being the watchword.

The gravy train is about to come to a shuddering halt for a good few this summer.
Login to get fewer ads

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:30 - Apr 6 with 1277 viewsjayessess

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:07 - Apr 6 by chicoazul

I’d much rather see us bumble along in League One (as is our new medium term fate) with a team of our own youths and the odd signing rather than a whole new squad brought in on good wages only to achieve the same result. The only time Ipswich Town FC has ever been successful is when we have had a good number of our own players in the team with a sprinkling of signings and a highly experience pro or 3.

We've five youth team products with 50+ first team appearances currently in the squad, plus another 3 with more than a dozen. I doubt that any of our successful teams in the modern era had as many as that.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 11:30]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:38 - Apr 6 with 1239 viewstextbackup

If fans don’t trust PC to get this right then I honestly don’t know what they are expecting from this club.
If fans won’t get on board with PC, again, no idea what they think we are, or should be.

If ME stays PC is out only hope.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:57 - Apr 6 with 1192 viewsitfcjoe

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 10:30 - Apr 6 by BelsteadCav

I get the idea that the squad is massive, and the pathway is blocked. But if they were standing out and setting training alight they’d be playing.

They don't even get to train - Dobra started 4-5 games in a row and did fine.....the Monday after the last game he started he was training with the 23s as Nolan and one other were back fit (maybe Bennetts) and we had too many in for 1st team training.

In normal times all squads train at the same time and there is an ability to be fluid with moving people back and forth - that isn't the case with Covid which makes things harder

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 12:07 - Apr 6 with 1153 viewsNthQldITFC

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 10:30 - Apr 6 by BelsteadCav

The thing is, you also have to take into account the environment that they would be coming into in the first team squad over the last three years. If the more mature blokes have been unable to cope with it mentally, throwing promising kids into that kind of poisonous soup would have been unwise, and any that have been dunked into it are likely to have been contaminated quite easily. But the young ones are the ones who are likely to be most able to throw it off more quickly under a decent regime, so I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of any of them.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 12:23 - Apr 6 with 1098 viewsdavblue

A huge number of posters with the view that Cook on 11:38 - Apr 6 by textbackup

If fans don’t trust PC to get this right then I honestly don’t know what they are expecting from this club.
If fans won’t get on board with PC, again, no idea what they think we are, or should be.

If ME stays PC is out only hope.

I trust PC has he deserves out trust atm.

I don't trust the man in charge upstairs. I think he's like putting Bolt in a 100m race and tying a cruise liner anchor around his waist.

We might have an advantage in this league with wages but we have shown absolutely no evidence we even remotely know how to use that advantage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024