Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be Kind. 13:13 - Apr 12 with 2961 viewsSwailsey

Be Kind.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 14:13]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:15 - Apr 12 with 2317 viewschrismakin

? until you hear different, the fans will talk about the players performances as if there's nothing wrong, you would think if there was something wrong, they wouldn't be playing...

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:16 - Apr 12 with 2301 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:15 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

? until you hear different, the fans will talk about the players performances as if there's nothing wrong, you would think if there was something wrong, they wouldn't be playing...

No, you perhaps need to think like a human being and wonder "he isn't playing, he isn't being mentioned, he hasn't got an injury, there clearly is something wrong here".

If you decide that it's more likely that the person is a wrong-un, and you naturally leap to that conclusion, that says more about you than them.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:18]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:18 - Apr 12 with 2269 viewschrismakin

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:16 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

No, you perhaps need to think like a human being and wonder "he isn't playing, he isn't being mentioned, he hasn't got an injury, there clearly is something wrong here".

If you decide that it's more likely that the person is a wrong-un, and you naturally leap to that conclusion, that says more about you than them.

But there's never been much about players not playing, especially when nothings been said by the club. All I ever saw about Thomas was when he played he wasn't any different to any of our other players.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:21 - Apr 12 with 2238 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:18 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

But there's never been much about players not playing, especially when nothings been said by the club. All I ever saw about Thomas was when he played he wasn't any different to any of our other players.

"It was.. but saw he asked to go back to Barnsley pretty much soon after Lambert signed him lol."

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:22 - Apr 12 with 2205 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:16 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

I genuinely don't remember very much criticism of Luke as a player on here, and certainly don't remember reading that he's "a wrong 'un".

You've turned a situation that the player (by getting help), the Clubs (in letting him go to get himself in the right place physically and mentally) and our Manager (in his comments today) have all handled well and somehow made a it a huge negative.

All it needs is an "all the best, Luke" or "well said, Paul Cook".
I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:23 - Apr 12 with 2191 viewschrismakin

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:21 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

"It was.. but saw he asked to go back to Barnsley pretty much soon after Lambert signed him lol."

Right? clearly that's turned out factual, he asked to go back under lambert.

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:24 - Apr 12 with 2187 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:22 - Apr 12 by ArnoldMoorhen

I genuinely don't remember very much criticism of Luke as a player on here, and certainly don't remember reading that he's "a wrong 'un".

You've turned a situation that the player (by getting help), the Clubs (in letting him go to get himself in the right place physically and mentally) and our Manager (in his comments today) have all handled well and somehow made a it a huge negative.

Then you've missed a lot on here, on Twitter and on Facebook comments.

I've made a wider point about mental health and being dismissive about it.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:33]

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:24 - Apr 12 with 2176 viewschrismakin

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:22 - Apr 12 by ArnoldMoorhen

exactly, the only reason attitude ever came up at first was the comment made by his Barnsley manager about how he went about getting the loan move.

Login to get fewer ads

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:25 - Apr 12 with 2157 viewschrismakin

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:24 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

But there's never been a mention about mental health to be dismissive about

If there was any link with mental health im sure lots of people would have been supportive.

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:25 - Apr 12 with 2158 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:23 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

Right? clearly that's turned out factual, he asked to go back under lambert.

Lol.

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:26 - Apr 12 with 2154 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:25 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

But there's never been a mention about mental health to be dismissive about

If there was any link with mental health im sure lots of people would have been supportive.

Don't worry!

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:29 - Apr 12 with 2113 viewsSwansea_Blue

We never know half of what's going on behind performances and managerial decisions around the team do we. It's the same with subs when the manager gets stick and then you find out afterwards it's because the player has been suffering with injury/illness.

He played like his head was in the wrong place, so I'm glad he's facing his demons and getting some help. Sign of great maturity that is, and at what's still a fairly young age too.

More Peak ITFC under the previous regime of course (bad luck for the team if nothing else), but that's not the point is it. Most important thing is that Luke gets better soon.

Good luck to him

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:29 - Apr 12 with 2111 viewschicoazul

In fairness most Ipswich fans don’t accuse players like Luke Thomas of being lazy and having bad attitudes. It tends to be more the likes of Dalian Danny Haynes Jason Scotland and Mings.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:32 - Apr 12 with 2076 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:15 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

I wouldn't make that assumption. There are so many stories out there of players playing through knocks/injuries, of playing when battling depression or addiction, etc. It's such a high pressure environment and the stakes are so high, many seem to force themselves to carry on for fear of losing out (the recent documentary about the football paedo cases brought that starkly home).

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:32 - Apr 12 with 2074 viewschrismakin

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:29 - Apr 12 by chicoazul

In fairness most Ipswich fans don’t accuse players like Luke Thomas of being lazy and having bad attitudes. It tends to be more the likes of Dalian Danny Haynes Jason Scotland and Mings.

wow

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:34 - Apr 12 with 2047 viewsjayessess

A lot of football supporters very clearly despise footballers until persuaded otherwise by on-field performances. It's why so many are so quick to attribute every failure to attitude and effort, rather than ability.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:35 - Apr 12 with 2043 viewschicoazul

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:32 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

wow

I know right? We see it time and time again. Andre is getting it now.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:35 - Apr 12 with 2037 viewschrismakin

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:32 - Apr 12 by Swansea_Blue

I wouldn't make that assumption. There are so many stories out there of players playing through knocks/injuries, of playing when battling depression or addiction, etc. It's such a high pressure environment and the stakes are so high, many seem to force themselves to carry on for fear of losing out (the recent documentary about the football paedo cases brought that starkly home).

I get that, but supporters will never sit and watch a game and look at a poor performance and say, I wonder what's wrong at home.

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:36 - Apr 12 with 2025 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:34 - Apr 12 by jayessess

A lot of football supporters very clearly despise footballers until persuaded otherwise by on-field performances. It's why so many are so quick to attribute every failure to attitude and effort, rather than ability.

That's quite true actually, I hadn't really thought about it before.

I suppose it's quite similar to a lot of other celebrities and the "build them up, knock them down" process. but I genuinely don't know why that is. Jealously? Even if it isn't conscious?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:36 - Apr 12 with 2016 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:24 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

I think I've missed a lot on here too, as I haven't seen it. Certainly on here, people have been very good with posters who've talked about mental health challenges, and if we'd known about Luke's there would've been overwhelming support.

If there was abuse on Twitter and Facebook then maybe you should've posted this on there.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:37 - Apr 12 with 2005 viewshype313

That's a pretty sweeping statement your making about people on here, which I haven't seen any negative comments about him from anyone on here and then throwing in Twitter and Facebook into the mix which is a platform lots don't use is quite poor.

I'm glad he's getting help, MH is very close to my heart considering circumstances around myself and family and I'd be the first to call it out if I saw anything derogatory, but also I think as much as this board can be argumentative regarding formations, politics and cheese, it's a broad church and I would say that the majority on here are extremely sympathetic to MH on the whole.

Quite frankly I'm sick of reading posts calling people out asking for apologies when they are not needed.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:38 - Apr 12 with 1986 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:36 - Apr 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think I've missed a lot on here too, as I haven't seen it. Certainly on here, people have been very good with posters who've talked about mental health challenges, and if we'd known about Luke's there would've been overwhelming support.

If there was abuse on Twitter and Facebook then maybe you should've posted this on there.

My point is, that unless people are directly told about it, they more often than not assume that someone is just lazy or has an attitude. As Swansea more eloquently put than I, the last thing so many people go to is MH as a reason.

I know fully well how supportive TWTD has been for MH thank you. Hence why this was "some of you", not "TWTD" should take a look at themselves.

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:39 - Apr 12 with 1958 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:35 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

I get that, but supporters will never sit and watch a game and look at a poor performance and say, I wonder what's wrong at home.

Oh yeah, agree entirely with that. Maybe they should... Or at least think be open to the idea that players aren't machines and will have to cope the same problems the rest of us have. People seem to want perfect all of the time. You don't get that from many (or any at this level!).

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:39 - Apr 12 with 1964 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:37 - Apr 12 by hype313

That's a pretty sweeping statement your making about people on here, which I haven't seen any negative comments about him from anyone on here and then throwing in Twitter and Facebook into the mix which is a platform lots don't use is quite poor.

I'm glad he's getting help, MH is very close to my heart considering circumstances around myself and family and I'd be the first to call it out if I saw anything derogatory, but also I think as much as this board can be argumentative regarding formations, politics and cheese, it's a broad church and I would say that the majority on here are extremely sympathetic to MH on the whole.

Quite frankly I'm sick of reading posts calling people out asking for apologies when they are not needed.

It's a direct response to the 4 or 5 people who called him out for being lazy. I could name them if you like? But that didn't seem correct.

I have never once said that people were dismissive about MH. I thought I made that clear but apologies if not.

I also put "some". Again, I thought that was clear.

Of course it goes without saying I'm sorry for the impacts MH have had on you and those close to you. I could have been clearer in my post I suppose.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:42]

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:41 - Apr 12 with 1938 viewsjayessess

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:35 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

There's different logics for critiquing poor performances, aren't there?

"The striker played poorly today, he gave the ball away/missed good chances/didn't win a header/wasn't strong enough in 50/50s" = opinions based on what you've seen.

"The striker is lazy/is phoning it in/doesn't care about the club/is just thinking about his next contract" = complete speculation which attacks someone's character based on minimal information
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:42]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024