Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be Kind. 13:13 - Apr 12 with 2967 viewsSwailsey

Be Kind.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 14:13]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:43 - Apr 12 with 601 viewsclive_baker

Worth noting that Nikki Grahame has suffered with severe anorexia since she was very young.

Agree with the sentiment about being overly critical of players, on here to some extent but even more so @ing players on twitter and thinking people have the right to say stuff like that. Judge came in for pelters week after week, while dealing with his mum being really poorly. Sears seems to be the next one. It's so OTT, who needs enemies when you've got 'supporters' like ours eh?

Morons.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:45 - Apr 12 with 583 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:39 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

It's a direct response to the 4 or 5 people who called him out for being lazy. I could name them if you like? But that didn't seem correct.

I have never once said that people were dismissive about MH. I thought I made that clear but apologies if not.

I also put "some". Again, I thought that was clear.

Of course it goes without saying I'm sorry for the impacts MH have had on you and those close to you. I could have been clearer in my post I suppose.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:42]

He has got stick, undoubtedly. I doubt I'd have called him lazy, but I've certainly questioned why he was on the pitch as he offered absolutely nothing in the games I've seen him in. That's probably harsh now in hindsight.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:47 - Apr 12 with 571 viewsjayessess

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:36 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

That's quite true actually, I hadn't really thought about it before.

I suppose it's quite similar to a lot of other celebrities and the "build them up, knock them down" process. but I genuinely don't know why that is. Jealously? Even if it isn't conscious?

Partially that? I think public discourse in 21st Century Britain can be pretty hateful in general, especially towards young people.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:49]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:49 - Apr 12 with 552 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:37 - Apr 12 by hype313

That's a pretty sweeping statement your making about people on here, which I haven't seen any negative comments about him from anyone on here and then throwing in Twitter and Facebook into the mix which is a platform lots don't use is quite poor.

I'm glad he's getting help, MH is very close to my heart considering circumstances around myself and family and I'd be the first to call it out if I saw anything derogatory, but also I think as much as this board can be argumentative regarding formations, politics and cheese, it's a broad church and I would say that the majority on here are extremely sympathetic to MH on the whole.

Quite frankly I'm sick of reading posts calling people out asking for apologies when they are not needed.

Well said.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:52 - Apr 12 with 529 viewschrismakin

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:43 - Apr 12 by clive_baker

Worth noting that Nikki Grahame has suffered with severe anorexia since she was very young.

Agree with the sentiment about being overly critical of players, on here to some extent but even more so @ing players on twitter and thinking people have the right to say stuff like that. Judge came in for pelters week after week, while dealing with his mum being really poorly. Sears seems to be the next one. It's so OTT, who needs enemies when you've got 'supporters' like ours eh?

Morons.

I also think there has been a lot of held back anger from people worldwide with the lockdowns, they've not been able to see friends, or release their anger in the pub during a footy chat, it ends up being typed on line.
People have lost jobs, they've been furloughed, theyve missed loved ones dieing, been ill themselves, not seen friends for months.

Doesn't make it right in any way, but i've certainly seen a big increase in twitter 'hate' over the past 12 months

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:54 - Apr 12 with 515 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:38 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

My point is, that unless people are directly told about it, they more often than not assume that someone is just lazy or has an attitude. As Swansea more eloquently put than I, the last thing so many people go to is MH as a reason.

I know fully well how supportive TWTD has been for MH thank you. Hence why this was "some of you", not "TWTD" should take a look at themselves.

But MY point is I haven't seen Luke Thomas getting grief on here (certainly not for laziness/attitude).

On a more general point, are we never to criticise players EVER in case they have a mental health problem? In fact going on your logic no-one should criticise ANYONE in ANY walk of life.

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:54 - Apr 12 with 516 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:54 - Apr 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

But MY point is I haven't seen Luke Thomas getting grief on here (certainly not for laziness/attitude).

On a more general point, are we never to criticise players EVER in case they have a mental health problem? In fact going on your logic no-one should criticise ANYONE in ANY walk of life.

I'm not doing this with you. Each to their own.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:55]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:58 - Apr 12 with 483 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:54 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

I'm not doing this with you. Each to their own.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:55]

I can never get past my past can I?

Login to get fewer ads

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:00 - Apr 12 with 480 viewsIllinoisblue

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:35 - Apr 12 by chicoazul

I know right? We see it time and time again. Andre is getting it now.

Scowcroft and Matt Richards got plenty of criticism too.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:05 - Apr 12 with 464 viewschrismakin

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:00 - Apr 12 by Illinoisblue

Norwood is incredibly lazy at times
Parrott walks about a fair bit

No one can ever forget Douglas in the centre circle

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:07 - Apr 12 with 453 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:38 - Apr 12 by Swailsey

My point is, that unless people are directly told about it, they more often than not assume that someone is just lazy or has an attitude. As Swansea more eloquently put than I, the last thing so many people go to is MH as a reason.

I know fully well how supportive TWTD has been for MH thank you. Hence why this was "some of you", not "TWTD" should take a look at themselves.

But what if some of the "some of you" are struggling with their Mental Health at the moment, and you are berating them and saying to them "hang your heads in shame"?

My point stands: to emphasise the positive in this situation, rather than point fingers and try and create a toxic atmosphere, is the best thing for everyone's mental health.

I just think, although you are well-meaning, that your post creates a division and is more likely to make people defensive, whereas we need to encourage discussion, openness and help people to identify their failings in a "no-blame" culture, more often than not.
I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:10 - Apr 12 with 440 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:07 - Apr 12 by ArnoldMoorhen

But what if some of the "some of you" are struggling with their Mental Health at the moment, and you are berating them and saying to them "hang your heads in shame"?

My point stands: to emphasise the positive in this situation, rather than point fingers and try and create a toxic atmosphere, is the best thing for everyone's mental health.

I just think, although you are well-meaning, that your post creates a division and is more likely to make people defensive, whereas we need to encourage discussion, openness and help people to identify their failings in a "no-blame" culture, more often than not.

I hadn't noticed your edit. Hugs all round.
I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:13 - Apr 12 with 435 viewsSwailsey

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:10 - Apr 12 by ArnoldMoorhen

I hadn't noticed your edit. Hugs all round.

Right back at you :)

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:24 - Apr 12 with 418 viewseireblue

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:54 - Apr 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Interesting.

I think it is perfectly possible to observe that someone is playing/performing in a way that is inconsistent with how they have played/performed previously. And not attribute that observed difference to a negative characteristic.

It happens in with postings on here reasonable frequently, “you seem angry today”, rather than, “that’s an unusual post from you”.

For instance, a player may have been asked to stay within a certain area of the pitch, by the manager.

Some fans could observe that one of the players, seems to not be tracking back, and seems to just walk about a bit, and hence they are described as lazy.

Versus, hmmm usually we see player X running all over the shop, he was banging them in during season Y, at team Z, now he is just walking around most games, that doesn’t seem to be the best way to user player X.
I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:31 - Apr 12 with 396 viewsjeera

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 14:00 - Apr 12 by Illinoisblue

For being lazy though?

Not sure I remember that.

Marcus Bent, sure, and McGoldrick. Certainly both of those were accused of laziness, Bent on many occasions.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 15:16 - Apr 12 with 357 viewschicoazul

Not for being lazy or having bad attitudes

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 16:18 - Apr 12 with 322 viewsIllinoisblue

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 15:16 - Apr 12 by chicoazul

Not for being lazy or having bad attitudes

Don’t recall Dalian getting any kind of stick

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 16:38 - Apr 12 with 301 viewsjayessess

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 16:18 - Apr 12 by Illinoisblue

Don’t recall Dalian getting any kind of stick

This doesn't strike me as a particularly productive line of discussion. Generally speaking, implicit racial bias isn't usually a function of people consciously ascribing a particular stereotype or expectation to every single black person or never ascribing that feature to any white person. It's about what kind of ideas tend to get attached to particular groups of people.

IMO given that such stereotypes and expectations clearly exist (consciously and sub-consciously) in wider society, it's weird how resistant we often are to the idea that they might be present in how people evaluate footballers.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 16:38]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 17:09 - Apr 12 with 278 viewsRyorry

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 13:58 - Apr 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

I can never get past my past can I?

You could always try changing your username? ;)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 21:50 - Apr 12 with 227 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 17:09 - Apr 12 by Ryorry

You could always try changing your username? ;)

Ha, tried that!

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 21:59 - Apr 12 with 219 viewsjeera

I hope some of you are hanging your head in shame.. on 21:50 - Apr 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Ha, tried that!

If you ever do the Smiling Flasher is an excellent name.

Made me laugh when Footers came out with that.

You could just have a visible white grin against a black background or something.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024