Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most exciting Town player? 22:40 - May 12 with 1926 viewsCoastalblue

Was having a read up about Dalian RIP, such a sad loss and it got me to thinking that probably partly because of my age he was I think the most exciting player I remember watching in a Town shirt.

The way the crowd jumped up in expectation when the ball arrived at his feet, he generated an atmosphere all by himself, and you knew he could do something to make it worthwhile too.

So sorry you've gone Dalian, but you really did brighten up my days.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Most exciting Town player? on 22:46 - May 12 with 1903 viewsKropotkin123

Current: Dobra
That I saw: Reuser
When I first got introduced to Ipswich: Boncho
Historical from video only: Gates
From stories: Phillips
Unintended: Thetis

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Most exciting Town player? on 22:57 - May 12 with 1885 viewsMelford

I remember that day well, I was standing with my old man on the Pioneer terrace and the stewards let me stand by the player's tunnel when they all came off from the pre-match warm-up and I got the back of my programme signed by everyone.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Most exciting Town player? on 23:25 - May 12 with 1849 viewsChurchman

He was amazing wasn’t he. I wish he’d stayed longer. Thank you Dalian.

Most exciting Town player? There have been a few contenders. For me there are two that stand out. The obvious one and my winner is Kevin Beattie. When he picked up the ball and rumbled forward with it, the crowd would go up on its toes and inhale in anticipation. Everything he did from crunching tackles to towering headers had power, grace and athleticism. Awesome.

The second is Frank Thijssen. On his day, he was unplayable. You just waited for the ball to go to his feet. He must have had superglue on his boots as he turned opponents inside out then split them with a perfect pass. Wonderful player.

In more recent times, Shefki. Rumbustious, energetic, shot like a howitzer, all over the place sometimes, but who cares. He was great to watch and the opposition looked scared half the time. He had the ultimate goal celebration too.
Most exciting Town player? on 23:38 - May 12 with 1825 viewsLord_Lucan

Most exciting Town player? on 22:46 - May 12 by Kropotkin123

Current: None
That I saw: Finidi
When I first got introduced to Ipswich: Whymark
Historical from video only: N/A
From stories: Batistuta
Unintended: Georges Santos

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Most exciting Town player? on 00:07 - May 13 with 1779 viewsjeera

Back when I was a kid it would have been Thijssen as there was anticipation every time he got the ball.

Later years it was the same sort of feeling with Stewart, Reuser, Gio... when they got the ball you felt something good could happen.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Most exciting Town player? on 00:08 - May 13 with 1775 viewsjeera

Most exciting Town player? on 23:38 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

No JET?!

Most exciting Town player? on 00:24 - May 13 with 1741 viewsCoastalblue

Most exciting Town player? on 00:08 - May 13 by jeera

No JET?!

Hard to forget that anticipation of JET hitting the woodwork it has to be said.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Most exciting Town player? on 00:28 - May 13 with 1723 viewsjeera

Most exciting Town player? on 00:24 - May 13 by Coastalblue

Hard to forget that anticipation of JET hitting the woodwork it has to be said.

Nothing, nothing, still nothing...

Moment of brilliance from nowhere!!

Bar/post rattles.

Nothing, still nothing...

Login to get fewer ads

Most exciting Town player? on 09:18 - May 13 with 1495 viewsChurchman

No JET?!

Nah, there was for anticipation to be had wondering if dear old Frank Nouble could work out which way round we were kicking.
Most exciting Town player? on 09:50 - May 13 with 1471 viewsfarkenhell

Most exciting Town player? on 23:25 - May 12 by Churchman

He was amazing wasn’t he. I wish he’d stayed longer. Thank you Dalian.

Most exciting Town player? There have been a few contenders. For me there are two that stand out. The obvious one and my winner is Kevin Beattie. When he picked up the ball and rumbled forward with it, the crowd would go up on its toes and inhale in anticipation. Everything he did from crunching tackles to towering headers had power, grace and athleticism. Awesome.

The second is Frank Thijssen. On his day, he was unplayable. You just waited for the ball to go to his feet. He must have had superglue on his boots as he turned opponents inside out then split them with a perfect pass. Wonderful player.

In more recent times, Shefki. Rumbustious, energetic, shot like a howitzer, all over the place sometimes, but who cares. He was great to watch and the opposition looked scared half the time. He had the ultimate goal celebration too.

You beat me with Thijssen - of that fantastic team in the early eighties, I always thought he was a cut above.

The Beat was legendary of course, but as a defender he didn't have the same number of opportunities to a goal chance - which gets the crowd going more than anything.

Dalian was brilliant for a season or two. So too was Bobby Petta.
Most exciting Town player? on 09:52 - May 13 with 1467 viewsfarkenhell

Most exciting Town player? on 23:38 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

Good shout for Whymark
Most exciting Town player? on 09:57 - May 13 with 1446 viewsbrazil1982

Most exciting Town player? on 22:57 - May 12 by Melford

I remember that day well, I was standing with my old man on the Pioneer terrace and the stewards let me stand by the player's tunnel when they all came off from the pre-match warm-up and I got the back of my programme signed by everyone.

Me too! - those opening two goals were jaw-dropping. There's a video on you tube of the whole match, looks like some amateur footage.

I used to get many autographs from that part of the ground, including John Motson (v Millwall, he was "scouting" before our Man Utd FA Cup match that season).

twtd.

Edit: that's the footage, and that's what you got to football to see!
[Post edited 13 May 2021 9:58]
Most exciting Town player? on 10:08 - May 13 with 1426 viewsbournemouthblue

Most exciting Town player? on 22:46 - May 12 by Kropotkin123

Reuser I liked, he had some real quality about him

Gio looked awesome

Fraser was clearly the real deal as well

Alan Mahon was that bit of extra quality who may have got us over the line under Royle, sadly he then went to Wigan because we had no money

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Most exciting Town player? on 10:14 - May 13 with 1419 viewsLord_Lucan

No JET?!

Well as I have said before, he was the only player at the time who I would pay to see - but can I put him in as unintended? I assumed unintended was supposed to have represented exciting in a bad way, ie; losing the ball in front of the 18 yard line.

I think possibly Whymark should be dropped for Beattie but Beattie's got a statue so I'm leaving Whymark in.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Most exciting Town player? on 10:18 - May 13 with 1403 viewsWeWereZombies

Clive Woods

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Most exciting Town player? on 10:20 - May 13 with 1396 viewssolemio

To be fair, 'Boro had useless central defenders in Pallister and Mowbray.
Most exciting Town player? on 10:27 - May 13 with 1380 viewsChiefXL

Most exciting Town player? on 10:14 - May 13 by Lord_Lucan

Well as I have said before, he was the only player at the time who I would pay to see - but can I put him in as unintended? I assumed unintended was supposed to have represented exciting in a bad way, ie; losing the ball in front of the 18 yard line.

I think possibly Whymark should be dropped for Beattie but Beattie's got a statue so I'm leaving Whymark in.

My old man always used to say that if he ever came home to find Trevor Whymark in bed with my mum he'd ask Trevor how many sugars he takes in his tea.
Most exciting Town player? on 10:51 - May 13 with 1337 viewsSharkey

I think Atkinson is a really good shout. Because with so many of the other great players, they weren't really 'outstanding', as all around them there were other great players. (Mariner - Brazil - Gates, just as one example.) Perhaps you have to go down a few levels in the leagues to experience the thrill of seeing someone truly 'outstanding'. I watched Brolin playing for Sunsdvall at 17, and all of Ibrahimovich's home games for Malmö, and saw Lua Lua for Colchester. Surrounded mostly by journeymen, they truly were spectacular.

The only player in the top league that I saw in IRL that had that effect was Gascoigne, playing at Old Trafford.

But as you say, at Ipswich then Atkinson was the one who lit up a game on his own. (I'm too young to have seen Beattie before he was crocked.)
Most exciting Town player? on 11:07 - May 13 with 1313 viewsC_Jam_Blue

For me it was Muhren and Thijssen. We had a good team at the time but these two transformed it when they arrived. Remember some breathtaking games.

As a youngster I liked Clive Woods, one of those players who the word mercurial is saved for.
Most exciting Town player? on 11:21 - May 13 with 1298 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024