Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble 19:17 - May 18 with 3605 viewsSteve_M

This doesn’t look good:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/18/panic-as-300m-high-tall-skyscraper

At that height it would be hard to retro-fit additional stability I would presume.
[Post edited 18 May 2021 19:17]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 19:25 - May 18 with 3526 viewsNthsuffolkblue

In Japan they design them to wobble to withstand earthquakes better.

However, this does sound more like poor construction standards from the article.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 19:25 - May 18 with 3520 viewsGuthrum

Not sure it's wobbling as much as some of that camera work.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 19:27 - May 18 with 3506 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 19:25 - May 18 by Guthrum

Not sure it's wobbling as much as some of that camera work.

Nice to see the iFollow cameraman has found work in the off-season though.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 19:45 - May 18 with 3423 viewsazuremerlangus

I visited Shenzhen back in 1988 via a day trip from Hong Kong. At the time their most cutting-edge western building was a single storey shopping centre with a single escalator - think Buttermarket shopping centre but smaller. The chinese were keen to show it off but also made a point to show the old China too - I came away from those short few hours impressed by a nation who were clearly on a journey modernisation but still valued the past.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 21:33 - May 18 with 3205 viewsWD19

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 19:45 - May 18 by azuremerlangus

I visited Shenzhen back in 1988 via a day trip from Hong Kong. At the time their most cutting-edge western building was a single storey shopping centre with a single escalator - think Buttermarket shopping centre but smaller. The chinese were keen to show it off but also made a point to show the old China too - I came away from those short few hours impressed by a nation who were clearly on a journey modernisation but still valued the past.

I visited for a conference about 4 years ago. I was struck by a city that had been thrown up in such a hurry that half of the new buildings already looked like they were falling apart.
Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 21:47 - May 18 with 3143 viewsLord_Lucan

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 19:45 - May 18 by azuremerlangus

Shenzhen was a small town not many years ago but now it's huge and dwarfs the likes of London.

The place has grown so much in a small space of time that it beggars belief. It is nothing short of remarkable and almost impossible to grasp the expansion and it is still growing all the time in double speed. It is truly difficult to comprehend what has occurred.

It isn't dissimilar to other Chinese cities but I must admit I hate the bloody place.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 21:55 - May 18 with 3110 viewsitfcjoe

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 21:47 - May 18 by Lord_Lucan

Shenzhen was a small town not many years ago but now it's huge and dwarfs the likes of London.

The place has grown so much in a small space of time that it beggars belief. It is nothing short of remarkable and almost impossible to grasp the expansion and it is still growing all the time in double speed. It is truly difficult to comprehend what has occurred.

It isn't dissimilar to other Chinese cities but I must admit I hate the bloody place.

Dictatorships and lack of regulation required gets sh*t done - the extent of what they are doing with their rail network is insane - it dwarfs everything in the world in HS tracks and so much being installed

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 10:25 - May 19 with 2714 viewsLord_Lucan

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 21:55 - May 18 by itfcjoe

Dictatorships and lack of regulation required gets sh*t done - the extent of what they are doing with their rail network is insane - it dwarfs everything in the world in HS tracks and so much being installed

I travelled from Shenzhen to Changsha on their high speed train, it was absolutely unbelievable. Their train stations are like airports, what with all the security and all that, and the size of them! I had always wanted a high speed train for that route as I hate flying - especially internal Chinese flights, I remember one minute someone was telling me that they were going to build it and in a couple of years it was there.

They had three classes, standard, first and executive. I went exec as it was peanuts. I wish I had gone first class instead as I was the only one in exec and a bit lonesome.

Every time I went to the buffet for a beer the cleaner followed behind me mopping the floor.

I agree that they get things done at the expense of health and safety but also because they have a get up and go attitude and won't stop for a year discussing what happens if they come across a red crested newt.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 10:30 - May 19 with 2692 viewsitfcjoe

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 10:25 - May 19 by Lord_Lucan

I travelled from Shenzhen to Changsha on their high speed train, it was absolutely unbelievable. Their train stations are like airports, what with all the security and all that, and the size of them! I had always wanted a high speed train for that route as I hate flying - especially internal Chinese flights, I remember one minute someone was telling me that they were going to build it and in a couple of years it was there.

They had three classes, standard, first and executive. I went exec as it was peanuts. I wish I had gone first class instead as I was the only one in exec and a bit lonesome.

Every time I went to the buffet for a beer the cleaner followed behind me mopping the floor.

I agree that they get things done at the expense of health and safety but also because they have a get up and go attitude and won't stop for a year discussing what happens if they come across a red crested newt.

This is a good video on it, the whole channel is excellent for construction around the world

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:38 - May 19 with 2487 viewsLord_Lucan

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 10:30 - May 19 by itfcjoe

This is a good video on it, the whole channel is excellent for construction around the world

That looks interesting, I'll have a gander tonight.

It is nothing short of phenomenal to be honest, same goes for their airports. Changsha was a hut and two years later it's a fecking monster.

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:47 - May 19 with 2448 viewsStokieBlue

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 21:55 - May 18 by itfcjoe

It gets stuff done at a price though.

I doubt the Uighurs care that much about the magnificent rail network they can't use from within their compounds.

It is an amazing achievement and some of the projects are incredible but we must always bear in mind the other side of things they don't like to talk about.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:51 - May 19 with 2424 viewsNthQldITFC

One word: skyhooks.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:52 - May 19 with 2418 viewsitfcjoe

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:47 - May 19 by StokieBlue

It gets stuff done at a price though.

I doubt the Uighurs care that much about the magnificent rail network they can't use from within their compounds.

It is an amazing achievement and some of the projects are incredible but we must always bear in mind the other side of things they don't like to talk about.

SB

Of course, huge amounts of what they do is just awful - even away from Uighur Muslims. I can't imagine their compulsory land purchases are great for the average citizen

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:54 - May 19 with 2407 viewsCrockerITFC

Probably Godzilla
Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:59 - May 19 with 2392 viewseastangliaisblue

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 21:33 - May 18 by WD19

I visited for a conference about 4 years ago. I was struck by a city that had been thrown up in such a hurry that half of the new buildings already looked like they were falling apart.

A bit like a lot of the new housing estates being built in this country!
Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 13:00 - May 19 with 2387 viewshype313

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:59 - May 19 by eastangliaisblue

A bit like a lot of the new housing estates being built in this country!

Persimmon and Bloor homes must have got some gigs out there then.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 13:06 - May 19 with 2369 viewsghostofescobar

Needs guy ropes.

GhostOfEscobar

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 13:21 - May 19 with 2315 viewseastangliaisblue

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 13:00 - May 19 by hype313

Persimmon and Bloor homes must have got some gigs out there then.

You're not wrong. Persimmon are woeful.
Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 13:37 - May 19 with 2284 viewsLord_Lucan

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 12:52 - May 19 by itfcjoe

Of course, huge amounts of what they do is just awful - even away from Uighur Muslims. I can't imagine their compulsory land purchases are great for the average citizen

I was in a meeting with a woman from the Guangxi trade development council and she drove me round some new mega complex they were starting to build. Without me even asking she explained that they have "Removed all the peasants that were living there", when she saw my daughters face drop she went on to say that they have found them lovely new places to live - but I doubt it!

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 13:48 - May 19 with 2236 viewsSwansea_Blue

Chinese skyscraper seem to wobble on 19:27 - May 18 by You_Bloo_Right

Nice to see the iFollow cameraman has found work in the off-season though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024