Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
39.9k covid cases today 16:44 - Jul 22 with 4862 viewsTrequartista

Lowest for 9 days. Always dangerous to look at one day’s figures but Thursday is usually high(48k last Thursday). Probably a blip and it shoots up tomorrow but you never know we might be reaching herd immunity and delta is running out of people it can affect.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

39.9k covid cases today on 16:46 - Jul 22 with 3315 viewsFtnfwest

Schools ramping down this week so less testing
39.9k covid cases today on 16:48 - Jul 22 with 3299 viewshomer_123

39.9k covid cases today on 16:46 - Jul 22 by Ftnfwest

I can't tell you how people I know who took their kids out of school so they didn't need to isolate....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

39.9k covid cases today on 16:48 - Jul 22 with 3294 viewsTractorWood

Euros impact dropping off the numbers.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

39.9k covid cases today on 16:50 - Jul 22 with 3265 viewsTrequartista

Testing figures are a day behind but there were 1.04 million tests reported yesterday which is not a drop off.

It's the first week on week reduction.... on 16:52 - Jul 22 with 3237 viewsBloots

...since 18th May.

But as you say it needs a couple more days of drops to be taken too seriously.

Still "positive" though.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Testing is down compared to last week.... on 16:53 - Jul 22 with 3216 viewsBloots

....but not by a figure comparable to the drop in cases.

39.9k covid cases today on 16:56 - Jul 22 with 3192 viewsChondzoresk

39.9k covid cases today on 16:48 - Jul 22 by homer_123

I can't tell you how people I know who took their kids out of school so they didn't need to isolate....

I work in high school. Attendance was 35% on the last day.
Testing is down compared to last week.... on 17:03 - Jul 22 with 3144 viewsFtnfwest

Testing is down compared to last week.... on 16:53 - Jul 22 by Bloots

....but not by a figure comparable to the drop in cases.

Yep hopefully a bit of both
Login to get fewer ads

39.9k covid cases today on 17:08 - Jul 22 with 3106 viewsjaykay

39.9k covid cases today on 16:56 - Jul 22 by Chondzoresk

this wouldn't be farlingaye by any chance ? they had a outbreak of covid in the last few days

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

It's the first week on week reduction.... on 17:09 - Jul 22 with 3105 viewsPinewoodblue

It's the first week on week reduction.... on 16:52 - Jul 22 by Bloots

...since 18th May.

But as you say it needs a couple more days of drops to be taken too seriously.

Still "positive" though.

Not sure an increase of 24% week on week can be called a reduction.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

18% drop in cases..... on 17:16 - Jul 22 with 3071 viewsBloots

It's the first week on week reduction.... on 17:09 - Jul 22 by Pinewoodblue

Not sure an increase of 24% week on week can be called a reduction.

...deaths (RIP) are usually a couple of weeks behind in terms of trends.

I assume you knew his, but were being facetious.

18% drop in cases..... on 17:19 - Jul 22 with 3045 viewsPinewoodblue

18% drop in cases..... on 17:16 - Jul 22 by Bloots

...deaths (RIP) are usually a couple of weeks behind in terms of trends.

I assume you knew his, but were being facetious.

The thread was about new cases. New cases are up 24% week on week. Deaths by double that.

2023 year of destiny

18% drop in cases..... on 17:25 - Jul 22 with 3001 viewsTrequartista

18% drop in cases..... on 17:19 - Jul 22 by Pinewoodblue

The thread was about new cases. New cases are up 24% week on week. Deaths by double that.

Whole week on whole week there is no reduction. Today is the first day since May when a day from the current week is lower than the corresponding day of the previous week.

I think that is what was meant.

18% drop in cases..... on 17:26 - Jul 22 with 2992 viewsSparky85

18% drop in cases..... on 17:19 - Jul 22 by Pinewoodblue

47,932 cases last Thursday

39,906 cases today
18% drop in cases..... on 17:37 - Jul 22 with 2931 viewsPinewoodblue

18% drop in cases..... on 17:26 - Jul 22 by Sparky85

47,932 cases last Thursday

39,906 cases today

The time to get excited is when there is a reduction week on week rather than just one day being lower that same day previous week.

2023 year of destiny

18% drop in cases..... on 17:39 - Jul 22 with 2921 viewsSparky85

18% drop in cases..... on 17:37 - Jul 22 by Pinewoodblue

The time to get excited is when there is a reduction week on week rather than just one day being lower that same day previous week.

Agreed, just adding context to the OP

Any step in the right direction is a good one. However, 4 days after freedom day, I won't get too excited
39.9k covid cases today on 18:46 - Jul 22 with 2758 viewsGeoffSentence

39.9k covid cases today on 16:56 - Jul 22 by Chondzoresk

Well, they only would have been watcing videos and playing games anyway.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

39.9k covid cases today on 19:10 - Jul 22 with 2702 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Latest modelling by NHS is showing that in England, the 3rd wave peak will be around 12th August. Number of daily cases is modelled as 182% of the 2nd wave peak. However, hospitalisations approx 50% of 2nd wave peak, and Intensive Care admissions 25% of 1st wave peak. Say hello to the government plan for herd immunity.

Poll: would you rather

39.9k covid cases today on 12:45 - Jul 23 with 2393 viewsStokieBlue

Some more information has come out today with regards to cases.

The ONS has said that cases continue to increase and that it's mass sampling exercise it uses to determine the "true prevalance" of C19 has indicated that there were 800,000 people with C19 in the UK last week.

"This exercise uses mass sampling to assess the true prevalence of coronavirus in the UK, and it is seen as one of the best guides to the spread of the virus because the official case numbers miss so many people who are asymptomatic, or who do not get a test."

The BMA have gone pretty heavy on the government strategy this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jul/23/uk-covid-live-news-latest-

"The government needs to wake up. This is not a problem about excessive pinging of the NHS app, but is a direct result of lack of effective measures by government that is allowing the virus to let rip throughout the nation. The BMA has repeatedly warned that amidst the highest levels of infections in the world, now is not the right time to abandon legal restrictions such as social distancing and mask wearing - and we are likely to see this situation continue to worsen as a result."

Since the strategy isn't going to change and the narrative is now being spun that two doses means you're fine to go and mingle even if you might have C19 we will see where we are in a few weeks.

SB

Edit: Missed that it was for the week ending 17th July on the ONS numbers so they could be decreasing this week but overall it shows that they believe the reality of the cases is far higher than the official figures.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 13:43]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

39.9k covid cases today on 13:44 - Jul 23 with 2268 viewshype313

39.9k covid cases today on 12:45 - Jul 23 by StokieBlue

Some more information has come out today with regards to cases.

The ONS has said that cases continue to increase and that it's mass sampling exercise it uses to determine the "true prevalance" of C19 has indicated that there were 800,000 people with C19 in the UK last week.

"This exercise uses mass sampling to assess the true prevalence of coronavirus in the UK, and it is seen as one of the best guides to the spread of the virus because the official case numbers miss so many people who are asymptomatic, or who do not get a test."

The BMA have gone pretty heavy on the government strategy this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jul/23/uk-covid-live-news-latest-

"The government needs to wake up. This is not a problem about excessive pinging of the NHS app, but is a direct result of lack of effective measures by government that is allowing the virus to let rip throughout the nation. The BMA has repeatedly warned that amidst the highest levels of infections in the world, now is not the right time to abandon legal restrictions such as social distancing and mask wearing - and we are likely to see this situation continue to worsen as a result."

Since the strategy isn't going to change and the narrative is now being spun that two doses means you're fine to go and mingle even if you might have C19 we will see where we are in a few weeks.

SB

Edit: Missed that it was for the week ending 17th July on the ONS numbers so they could be decreasing this week but overall it shows that they believe the reality of the cases is far higher than the official figures.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 13:43]

It's becoming increasingly obvious to all that the Govt are clearly trying to get to immunity via the back door before the Autumn.

That was probably a conspiracy theory a few months ago, but given their stance since, it's pretty clear that's the route they are trying to take.

Also, vaccine passports, this is obviously a ruse to get the younger cohorts jabbed, given what Johnson was like when Blair was touting ID Cards, he knows it would be political suicide if he went ahead with this.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

39.9k covid cases today on 13:56 - Jul 23 with 2233 viewsStokieBlue

39.9k covid cases today on 13:44 - Jul 23 by hype313

It's becoming increasingly obvious to all that the Govt are clearly trying to get to immunity via the back door before the Autumn.

That was probably a conspiracy theory a few months ago, but given their stance since, it's pretty clear that's the route they are trying to take.

Also, vaccine passports, this is obviously a ruse to get the younger cohorts jabbed, given what Johnson was like when Blair was touting ID Cards, he knows it would be political suicide if he went ahead with this.

Agreed, it might not work though, some studies are showing that immunity from vaccination is proving more reliable and probably longer-lasting than immunity from natural infection.

You don't think they will go ahead with the vaccination passport requirements? It's certainly aimed at increasing the uptake in the young.

SB

39.9k covid cases today on 14:03 - Jul 23 with 2196 viewshype313

39.9k covid cases today on 13:56 - Jul 23 by StokieBlue

Agreed, it might not work though, some studies are showing that immunity from vaccination is proving more reliable and probably longer-lasting than immunity from natural infection.

You don't think they will go ahead with the vaccination passport requirements? It's certainly aimed at increasing the uptake in the young.

SB

I think they will try, but there will be too much of a pushback from various outlets, looks like 50 odd Tory MP's along with Labour, LD's and Greens would all vote against.

Even though I'm double jabbed, I don't think it is a path we should entertain.

39.9k covid cases today on 14:10 - Jul 23 with 2157 viewsStokieBlue

39.9k covid cases today on 14:03 - Jul 23 by hype313

I think they will try, but there will be too much of a pushback from various outlets, looks like 50 odd Tory MP's along with Labour, LD's and Greens would all vote against.

Even though I'm double jabbed, I don't think it is a path we should entertain.

It's a hard one though, because indoor mixing of unvaccinated people in the Autumn/Winter would be awful with the delta variant and that's assuming nothing worse comes along in the next 2 or 3 months.

Requiring a negative test simply doesn't work well enough. The number of cases from events, flights etc where everyone gave a negative test before it are pretty high.

What would you propose is a good path forward?

SB
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 14:10]

39.9k covid cases today on 14:16 - Jul 23 with 2128 viewshype313

39.9k covid cases today on 14:10 - Jul 23 by StokieBlue

It's a hard one though, because indoor mixing of unvaccinated people in the Autumn/Winter would be awful with the delta variant and that's assuming nothing worse comes along in the next 2 or 3 months.

Requiring a negative test simply doesn't work well enough. The number of cases from events, flights etc where everyone gave a negative test before it are pretty high.

What would you propose is a good path forward?

SB
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 14:10]

Well, just because one has been double jabbed doesn't mean to say they aren't carrying the infection, there seems to be this mindset that by having both jabs people are immune from catching it or passing it on which is nonsense, this then makes vaccine passports null and void.

Test and Trace is great when the infection is in it's infancy and you can whittle it down to a few key contacts, but when it's running rife through the nation it's almost pointless when 50k plus a day are getting it.

I personally think PCR testing is the only way we can safely navigate ourselves through these choppy waters, and I appreciate that has it's flaws, but I can't really see another alternative unless we keep perpetuating lockdowns (which again, isn't ideal in the slightest)

39.9k covid cases today on 14:21 - Jul 23 with 2105 viewsStokieBlue

39.9k covid cases today on 14:16 - Jul 23 by hype313

Well, just because one has been double jabbed doesn't mean to say they aren't carrying the infection, there seems to be this mindset that by having both jabs people are immune from catching it or passing it on which is nonsense, this then makes vaccine passports null and void.

Test and Trace is great when the infection is in it's infancy and you can whittle it down to a few key contacts, but when it's running rife through the nation it's almost pointless when 50k plus a day are getting it.

I personally think PCR testing is the only way we can safely navigate ourselves through these choppy waters, and I appreciate that has it's flaws, but I can't really see another alternative unless we keep perpetuating lockdowns (which again, isn't ideal in the slightest)

Totally agree that the Tories (and others) are pushing a narrative that being double jabbed means you don't really pass it on and that is obviously nonsense. However if everyone at the event is double-jabbed then even if you do pass it on the other person shouldn't get severe C19. If it's a mixed vaccinated/unvaccinated crowd then lots of double jabbed people could make unvaccinated people very sick.

How would PCR testing work though? If you get one 48 hours before then that's still a long time in which you could have caught C19 somewhere after you did the test.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024