Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? 08:53 - Aug 16 with 2407 viewsMaySixth

probably before my time, started watching Town in-person 1987
[Post edited 16 Aug 2021 8:54]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 08:55 - Aug 16 with 2380 viewsHerbivore

The sales.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 08:58 - Aug 16 with 2355 viewsbluefunk

Traditionally, Boxing Day was the day when local derbies were played, so we had numerous games against the budgies over years before football violence became national news and we were forced to play them on Sunday just after breakfast time.
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:00 - Aug 16 with 2341 viewsbluejacko

The Boxing Day fixture was always a local derby for the leagues when common sense made the fixtures! Also Easter was always home and away to the same team ie Easter Saturday and then Easter Monday. Before sky obviously got their hands on the computer.
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:02 - Aug 16 with 2313 viewsbluejacko

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 08:58 - Aug 16 by bluefunk

Traditionally, Boxing Day was the day when local derbies were played, so we had numerous games against the budgies over years before football violence became national news and we were forced to play them on Sunday just after breakfast time.

Oops duplicated your post😀
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:40 - Aug 16 with 2151 viewsSharkey

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:00 - Aug 16 by bluejacko

The Boxing Day fixture was always a local derby for the leagues when common sense made the fixtures! Also Easter was always home and away to the same team ie Easter Saturday and then Easter Monday. Before sky obviously got their hands on the computer.

That Easter Saturday / Monday same team thing was surely LONG before Sky, no? I mean like back in the 60s?
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:47 - Aug 16 with 2124 viewsbilllm

A lot of aggregation,
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:47 - Aug 16 with 2119 viewskiwiblue

Regular derbies against the canaries home or away with loads of fans travelling home and away . Normally a big crowd and lots of action on the pitch the terraces ( no seating) and before and after in the local back streets. The stations Prince of wales road and the cattle market were key flash points. Very enjoyable especially when we won.
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:48 - Aug 16 with 2104 viewsbluejacko

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:40 - Aug 16 by Sharkey

That Easter Saturday / Monday same team thing was surely LONG before Sky, no? I mean like back in the 60s?

Yes your right about sky thinking about it👍 However the Easter fixtures went on a lot longer than the 60s! I might be old but not that old,I went to them😀
Login to get fewer ads

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:04 - Aug 16 with 2026 viewsNthQldITFC

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 09:47 - Aug 16 by billlm

A lot of aggregation,

Putting everything into the same box?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:15 - Aug 16 with 1957 viewsbilllm

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:04 - Aug 16 by NthQldITFC

Putting everything into the same box?

No not really wanting to specify on the violence,
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:18 - Aug 16 with 1938 viewsNthQldITFC

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:15 - Aug 16 by billlm

No not really wanting to specify on the violence,

No worries.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:43 - Aug 16 with 1818 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not sure what boxing day you're referring to - but in that far off era when Town were in the first division aka the top division, boxing day fixtures were usually against London clubs - the most imfamous of which was Fulham 10 Ipswich 1 with a Fulham player getting a hat trick in three minutes. Mind you, Town won the return fixture 4-2 a couple of days later .

Unusual hat tricks must have been a feature of Boxing Day game because David Webb got one for Chelsea at Portman Road eary in the Robson years.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:50 - Aug 16 with 1778 viewsbilllm

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 08:55 - Aug 16 by Herbivore

The sales.

Back then sales were SALES,
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:50 - Aug 16 with 1767 viewsBlowedifiwinit

We played the Budgies on Boxing Day most seasons during the late 70s/eartly 80s.
The last time was 1983. Before that, it was common to play on Christmas Day itself. Imagine having to swallow this at Christmas 1951! :
25 Dec 1951 Ipswich Town v Norwich City 0-2 Division Three (South)
26 Dec 1951 Norwich City v Ipswich Town 2-0 Division Three (South)

https://www.11v11.com/teams/ipswich-town/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Norwich%20
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 11:08 - Aug 16 with 1716 viewsMaySixth

I was wondering if there was a speficic incident where it booted off - that's what I always thought. Regaling some infamous battle

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 11:30 - Aug 16 with 1657 viewsPlums

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 11:08 - Aug 16 by MaySixth

I was wondering if there was a speficic incident where it booted off - that's what I always thought. Regaling some infamous battle

I always thought it referred to some ancient inter-county punch ups on the county borders. Nothing to do with football. Not sure where I heard that from but it was many moons ago.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 12:00 - Aug 16 with 1581 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:43 - Aug 16 by ElephantintheRoom

Not sure what boxing day you're referring to - but in that far off era when Town were in the first division aka the top division, boxing day fixtures were usually against London clubs - the most imfamous of which was Fulham 10 Ipswich 1 with a Fulham player getting a hat trick in three minutes. Mind you, Town won the return fixture 4-2 a couple of days later .

Unusual hat tricks must have been a feature of Boxing Day game because David Webb got one for Chelsea at Portman Road eary in the Robson years.

Those were probably the most local games when nodge were not in the same division weren't they?

The Easter home and away didn't seem to happen in the late 80s before Sky became a thing. Not sure why Sky would be against it either. Seems like one of those things that is neither great nor bad. Could give a team a distinct advantage/disadvantage playing an in-form or out-of-form opposition. There is still always some team that plays twice within about a month around December/January.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 12:20 - Aug 16 with 1521 viewsnorth_stand77

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:50 - Aug 16 by billlm

Back then sales were SALES,

I don't think it was until 1990s that any shops were ever open on Boxing day, let alone sales.
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 12:30 - Aug 16 with 1484 viewsmonty_radio

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 10:43 - Aug 16 by ElephantintheRoom

Rumoured around the Town back then that some of the players in that 10-1 Boxing Day defeat at Fulham (which included a 4 minute hattrick) were seen staggering out of Manor Club either Christmas Eve, or even possibly back then, Christmas Day. That relegation season showed the famous Jackie Milburn as a really nice man, but not cut out for management.

I went to that 4-2 reverse fixture at P.R. which, I think, was the game that was played out in such dense fog that, standing behind the goal, I didn't realised they'd scored up the other end till they trotted back out of the murk to kick off again. The Anglia highlights didn't fare much better!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 15:13 - Aug 16 with 1268 viewsWarkystache

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 11:08 - Aug 16 by MaySixth

"T'was the day after Christmas
And all through the East
The St Stephen's Day revellers
Sat down to feast

The table was lain with yon crackers all pretty
Until old Uncle Sid started "On the Ball City"
Then came the kickings and beatings amok
And he was crowned with four pool balls placed in a sock

The punch-up continued out into the street
As yellow-shirts everywhere took to their feet
The blue shirted warriors took them in a stride
Singing songs about Delia and being Anglia's Pride

Iwan Roberts lost teeth, Steve the Bruce broke his nose
Eadie and Huckerby both sh*t their hose
Bryan the Gunn missed his kick, the Marshall broke his hand
And little boy Cantwell broke his Alice Band

The Town were on fire, they ran out the winner
Then everyone went home for cold turkey for dinner.

(Abridged from 'The Day after Christmas' written by Jethro Jiggins 1867 - with apologies to Clement Clarke Moore)

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 15:43 - Aug 16 with 1206 viewsBluespeed225

My first hearing was December 79’, down here, by Spurs. I was a kid in the west stand at the North Stand end, it sounded great! Probably been around since the year before when Boney M had it in the charts. Another example of 80’s terrace lyrical genius!
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 15:57 - Aug 16 with 1142 viewsTractorWood

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 15:43 - Aug 16 by Bluespeed225

My first hearing was December 79’, down here, by Spurs. I was a kid in the west stand at the North Stand end, it sounded great! Probably been around since the year before when Boney M had it in the charts. Another example of 80’s terrace lyrical genius!

Every club sings this song with the words 'because of boxing day'.

https://www.google.com/search?q=becaise+of+boxing+day+football+chant&oq=beca
[Post edited 16 Aug 2021 15:59]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 16:06 - Aug 16 with 1104 viewsgainsboroughblue

1992-1993 was probably the last time we played festive and Easter matches against Nodge. The week leading up to Christmas at Carra and Easter Monday at PR.

The previous season we were in the same division was 84-85 and we hosted them on NYD and went up there at Easter.

We done the double over them both those seasons...bring them back!

2010-11 we played them down here the day before Easter I think? Don't think there has been a Christmas fixture between us for many years though.

The scenes at the station and Burrell Road that greeted the 1-0 defeat down here on a Tuesday in 1998 put an end to Saturday afternoon/Tuesday night games between the two.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 16:13 - Aug 16 with 1085 viewsBluespeed225

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 15:57 - Aug 16 by TractorWood

Yup, nicely adaptable for any team. The bloke in Boney M inspired Richard Ayoades hair in the IT Crowd..
"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 16:26 - Aug 16 with 1030 viewsyorkshireblue

"Because of Boxing Day"...what actually happened? on 15:57 - Aug 16 by TractorWood

Which is weird, as 'because of Derby Day' also fits and makes more sense.

If we're going to change the words in the song from 'Christmas Day' anyway, at least do it properly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024