Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cooks coaches 13:37 - Aug 30 with 1729 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I'm a little confused as to where the negativity about the coaching set up comes from?
I've seen a few posts indicating that the coaches aren't good enough, some have even stereotypically mentioned 'Cooks scouse mates'.

But unless we are the best football educated fan forum in all of football, 99% of us would struggle to name a coach who could do a good job at this level and would come here.

So how do we know they aren't good enough? Given that since the season started, we've only had one full week on the training pitch and the odd day between games, which mainly focuses on recovery.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Cooks coaches on 13:38 - Aug 30 with 1300 viewsBluefish

You know basic stuff like qualifications, experience and credibility

Apart from that though they are scouse drinking pals and wash the kit well

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Cooks coaches on 13:39 - Aug 30 with 1289 viewspointofblue

I think it's their lack of experience which stands out - Jeffers has only ever coached the Under 23as, Ian Craney did his badges then decided it wasn't for him and became a kit man and this is Gary Roberts' first coaching role. Normally when you hire a coach you hear about them doing the same thing elsewhere and building up that experience. Yes, coaches have to come through from other positions but usually that's just one in a group, not all of them.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cooks coaches on 13:41 - Aug 30 with 1268 viewschrismakin

Cooks coaches on 13:38 - Aug 30 by Bluefish

You know basic stuff like qualifications, experience and credibility

Apart from that though they are scouse drinking pals and wash the kit well

What like Barry who Cook took to Wigan, who had 0 qualifications and had just left wrexham as a player........................

Now coaching at erm, Chelsea.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Cooks coaches on 13:42 - Aug 30 with 1255 viewsBluefish

Cooks coaches on 13:41 - Aug 30 by chrismakin

What like Barry who Cook took to Wigan, who had 0 qualifications and had just left wrexham as a player........................

Now coaching at erm, Chelsea.

No issue in an inexperienced coach with enthusiasm, the issue is more a set up full of them

Cooks coaches on 13:46 - Aug 30 with 1224 viewsPinewoodblue

Cooks coaches on 13:42 - Aug 30 by Bluefish

No issue in an inexperienced coach with enthusiasm, the issue is more a set up full of them

Not forgetting he seems to be of the opinion he doesn’t need an Assistant Manager.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cooks coaches on 13:48 - Aug 30 with 1217 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Cooks coaches on 13:39 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

I think it's their lack of experience which stands out - Jeffers has only ever coached the Under 23as, Ian Craney did his badges then decided it wasn't for him and became a kit man and this is Gary Roberts' first coaching role. Normally when you hire a coach you hear about them doing the same thing elsewhere and building up that experience. Yes, coaches have to come through from other positions but usually that's just one in a group, not all of them.

But, irrespective of that. Its still very early to be judging coaching staff.

If in a years time, Edwards hasn't developed his game, for example, we could say its because of lack of experience. But posters on this forum seem to be laying the poor results firstly on Cook, which entirely right, but also on the coaches, and that is just not right, because we can't know yet.

Cooks coaches on 13:50 - Aug 30 with 1207 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Cooks coaches on 13:46 - Aug 30 by Pinewoodblue

Not forgetting he seems to be of the opinion he doesn’t need an Assistant Manager.

I think it may well be more, "I don't want to work with anyone but Leam", he may change his mind on that as time goes on.

Cooks coaches on 13:50 - Aug 30 with 1206 viewsElderGrizzly

Cooks coaches on 13:46 - Aug 30 by Pinewoodblue

And that’s the biggest issue for me. Who challenges the manager? Or believes they have the experience to do so?
Login to get fewer ads

Cooks coaches on 13:52 - Aug 30 with 1190 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Cooks coaches on 13:50 - Aug 30 by ElderGrizzly

And that’s the biggest issue for me. Who challenges the manager? Or believes they have the experience to do so?

If he continues to work without an assistant, I'd imagine that will be Ashton.
However, that could open pandora's box and see us end up with a head coach instead of a manager.

Cooks coaches on 13:55 - Aug 30 with 1167 viewsArnieM

….and yet many on this forum was suggesting Dyer should be Cooks right hand man….and he’s got sod all experience outside of kids football.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Cooks coaches on 13:55 - Aug 30 with 1155 viewsPinewoodblue

Cooks coaches on 13:48 - Aug 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

But, irrespective of that. Its still very early to be judging coaching staff.

If in a years time, Edwards hasn't developed his game, for example, we could say its because of lack of experience. But posters on this forum seem to be laying the poor results firstly on Cook, which entirely right, but also on the coaches, and that is just not right, because we can't know yet.

No but isn’t the lack of experience cause for concern?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cooks coaches on 13:55 - Aug 30 with 1154 viewsElderGrizzly

Cooks coaches on 13:52 - Aug 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

However, that could open pandora's box and see us end up with a head coach instead of a manager.

Ashton normally has a head coach in his clubs, not a manager.

Cook is a result of the Evans legacy

Don’t think Ashton ever interferes in the way you have described but given a clean slate (i.e. without Cook already in place), you’d see a different structure at the club
Cooks coaches on 14:00 - Aug 30 with 1133 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Cooks coaches on 13:55 - Aug 30 by Pinewoodblue

No but isn’t the lack of experience cause for concern?

Not yet. Everyone has to start somewhere. Craney could be rubbish, but Jeffers and Roberts could be amazing coaches.

The point is, no one knows. It feels like people spend time actively looking for something to have a dig at the club over.

Ashton and O'leary weren't exactly born this morning, if they have concerns over the coaching, they won't stay quiet, and yet as of now, we haven't seen any sign of a more experienced coach coming in. Tells its own story.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 14:00]

Cooks coaches on 14:00 - Aug 30 with 1130 viewsLeoMuff

Cooks coaches on 13:55 - Aug 30 by ArnieM

….and yet many on this forum was suggesting Dyer should be Cooks right hand man….and he’s got sod all experience outside of kids football.

Exactly, we have no idea how good they are, they could be the next Klopp or Robson, or total duffers, look at Mourinho, started off as a translator wasnt it ?

Cook has been around for a long time, and very successfully as a manger he knows what it takes personality wise and ability wise, and that is good enough for me until proven otherwise. The rumour is the players are enjoying the sessions as well.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Cooks coaches on 14:02 - Aug 30 with 1108 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Cooks coaches on 13:55 - Aug 30 by ElderGrizzly

Ashton normally has a head coach in his clubs, not a manager.

Cook is a result of the Evans legacy

Don’t think Ashton ever interferes in the way you have described but given a clean slate (i.e. without Cook already in place), you’d see a different structure at the club

Cook could easily have been binned off by the new regime, or refused when Evans spoke to them about bringing in Cook.

It wouldn't have taken very much, and Cook intimated the same in the aftermath of the takeover.

Cooks coaches on 14:02 - Aug 30 with 1101 viewschrismakin

Cooks coaches on 14:00 - Aug 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not yet. Everyone has to start somewhere. Craney could be rubbish, but Jeffers and Roberts could be amazing coaches.

The point is, no one knows. It feels like people spend time actively looking for something to have a dig at the club over.

Ashton and O'leary weren't exactly born this morning, if they have concerns over the coaching, they won't stay quiet, and yet as of now, we haven't seen any sign of a more experienced coach coming in. Tells its own story.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 14:00]

"The point is, no one knows. It feels like people spend time actively looking for something to have a dig at the club over"

spot on

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Cooks coaches on 14:31 - Aug 30 with 1023 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Cooks coaches on 14:40 - Aug 30 with 996 viewsBluefish

Cooks coaches on 14:00 - Aug 30 by LeoMuff

Exactly, we have no idea how good they are, they could be the next Klopp or Robson, or total duffers, look at Mourinho, started off as a translator wasnt it ?

Cook has been around for a long time, and very successfully as a manger he knows what it takes personality wise and ability wise, and that is good enough for me until proven otherwise. The rumour is the players are enjoying the sessions as well.

Mourinho gradually worked his way up over time by studying the game and learning his roles, during these times the roles around him had experience in them. He did not go straight into the role of right hand man. The way this site picks extreme examples and tries to make them the norm is bizarre. WhAt AbOuT bLaCkPoOl

Cooks coaches on 14:45 - Aug 30 with 961 viewsHerbivore

Whichever one of them is leading on set piece coaching needs binning off.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cooks coaches on 14:47 - Aug 30 with 938 viewschrismakin

Cooks coaches on 14:45 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

Or asked to take Harper aside and show him what he was doing at the time of the 2nd goal. find out why and react..

Cooks coaches on 14:47 - Aug 30 with 940 viewspointofblue

Cooks coaches on 13:55 - Aug 30 by ArnieM

As I said, there's no issue with green coaches - everyone has to learn somewhere - but usually it's with experience mixed it; not all newbies learning together.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cooks coaches on 15:09 - Aug 30 with 887 viewsWickets

Yes i have already said on another thread that they are all inexperienced , that does not mean that they are not going to be good but makes you wonder if PC need someone experienced to help even if its a assistant manager .So i agree .
Cooks coaches on 15:15 - Aug 30 with 869 viewsreusersfreekicks

Cooks coaches on 13:52 - Aug 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

What!! Ashton should not be involved on the playing side
Cooks coaches on 15:16 - Aug 30 with 862 viewsWickets

Cooks coaches on 14:45 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

Good point as i have been wondering which one is the defensive coach ?
Cooks coaches on 15:23 - Aug 30 with 846 viewsitfcsuth

We unfortunately have some fans who are quite noxious when talking about people who represent our club - not what I personally would deem to be a supporter.

I remember reading people referring to Lee O’Neil as the PE teacher - all rather distasteful, and incredibly unnecessary.

From the coaching aspect, Jeffers was highly rated at Everton, and Roberts is a long servant of Cook, and have now issues with him moving to coaching after retiring, it’s a natural progression for most and they have to begin that career somewhere.

Ian Craney is qualified but again lacks experience in coaching. I think an experienced number 2 would help all 3 coaches.

The brutal truth is they could be really good coaches day to day, they’ve been working with this squad for 5 games, so it’s hard to make a real judgement - as we aren’t privy to how they work at Playford Road.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024