Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager 22:02 - Sep 23 with 1889 viewsBondiBlue

“So the optimal strategy for a club would seem to be to allow a manager a honeymoon period of 8 games, and then sack him if his weighted average performance with a smoothing value of 0.121 (putting 47% of the weight on the last five games) falls below 0.74 points per game.
If a club follows this strategy it can expect to obtain 56.81 points per season. It can expect to employ 5.7 managers on average over the ten seasons, and the average quality of those managers will be 3/5ths of the way between good and excellent. To put this into perspective, 56.81 points would have secured a finishing position of 10th, 8th, 8th, 6th, 8th and 8th in the six seasons so far of a 20-club Premiership.”

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/faculty/downloads/hope_when_sack

Poll: Which would you accept?

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 22:16 - Sep 23 with 1812 viewsGuthrum

I up-thumbed this not so much because I think it would be a good idea to adopt such a brutally stats-based approach, but because I like the idea someone's sat down and worked all that out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 22:23 - Sep 23 with 1774 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Absolute nonsense
Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 22:23 - Sep 23 with 1769 viewsmonty_radio

Fear not - I forsee us beating Birmingham 1.7 - 0.4

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 22:30 - Sep 23 with 1746 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 22:47 - Sep 23 with 1657 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 22:30 - Sep 23 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Surely the bag holder sometimes does ok from holding their stock.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 04:14 - Oct 3 with 826 viewsBondiBlue

Bump

Link doesn't seem to work any more unfortunately.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 4:16]

Poll: Which would you accept?

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 05:11 - Oct 3 with 755 viewsbraveblue

According to statistics the average man in Britain has less than two legs!!
Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 06:46 - Oct 3 with 684 viewswkj

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager on 22:16 - Sep 23 by Guthrum

I up-thumbed this not so much because I think it would be a good idea to adopt such a brutally stats-based approach, but because I like the idea someone's sat down and worked all that out.

It is this kind of analytics and algorithmic thinking that makes you miss the dear old' Stokie types all the more.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024