Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potential Tory leadership vote 09:58 - Jan 19 with 937 viewsZx1988

If, as has been suggested, the 2019 intake's letters to the 1922 Committee will prove sufficient to force a vote of confidence in Johnson, it will be very interesting to see how this all pans out. It's clear to see that certain elements of the Tory-supporting press are already trying to paint this as a '2019 Intake vs. The Rest' sort of scenario.

Could it be that Johnson is able to circle the wagons sufficiently that he will still have a core of support that will be able to defeat any confidence vote?

I was wondering yesterday, given the corruption that seems to be endemic within the party, whether those who have benefited to date from the current setup will be happy to stick with the devil they know, rather than risk a leadership contest and the prospect of ending up with a new leader who poses as a 'great reformer' and seeks to detoxify the party by going in hard on corruption?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:05 - Jan 19 with 892 viewsbluelagos

Thing is, Johnson has no natural support base in the Tory party. The party embraced him because he was seen as an electoral asset who would deliver success at the ballot box, which he did.

Take that away, as he becomes an electoral liability now that his character flaws are laid bare for all to see, and what is left? A bumbling, unpopular, lazy and highly ineffective leader.

The only reason for keeping him in place would be for him to see things through until the summer given all the financial hardship that lies ahead and then new PM (whoever that is) would have more chance of distancing themselves from that particular problem.

IF they have a confidence vote now, I still think Truss and Sunak will encourage their supporters to vote against Johnson and that he would fall.

But as ever, there are no certainties. Those are my thoughts for what they are worth (which isn't much)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:08 - Jan 19 with 872 viewsBlueBadger

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:05 - Jan 19 by bluelagos

Thing is, Johnson has no natural support base in the Tory party. The party embraced him because he was seen as an electoral asset who would deliver success at the ballot box, which he did.

Take that away, as he becomes an electoral liability now that his character flaws are laid bare for all to see, and what is left? A bumbling, unpopular, lazy and highly ineffective leader.

The only reason for keeping him in place would be for him to see things through until the summer given all the financial hardship that lies ahead and then new PM (whoever that is) would have more chance of distancing themselves from that particular problem.

IF they have a confidence vote now, I still think Truss and Sunak will encourage their supporters to vote against Johnson and that he would fall.

But as ever, there are no certainties. Those are my thoughts for what they are worth (which isn't much)

You say he has no natural support base in the Tory party, but there's THOUSANDS of racists and homophobes in the Tory party, particularly at grassroots level.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:09 - Jan 19 with 867 viewsDurovigutum

I hope he stays, he's the single biggest asset for every other party in the upcoming local elections. Many will be motivated to turn out to vote anti-tory and I suspect many Tories who themselves are disgusted just won't bother to vote at all.
Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:09 - Jan 19 with 872 viewshype313

This will push a few more letters in.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:12 - Jan 19 with 865 viewsbluelagos

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:08 - Jan 19 by BlueBadger

You say he has no natural support base in the Tory party, but there's THOUSANDS of racists and homophobes in the Tory party, particularly at grassroots level.

That's not quite the same thing. The tory parties has it's tribes (Need Glassers input here as a former active member) and Johnson doesn't seem to fit nicely within them.

Neither a one nation tory nor an ERG loon. He appeals to both on certain aspects (He argued for Brexit but against austerity) and doesn't fit nicely into their groupings. He is getting flack from all sides it seems.

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:13 - Jan 19 with 861 viewsGlasgowBlue

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:09 - Jan 19 by hype313

I await a post from Koonters saying that anyone but Starmer would have a 40 point lead.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 10:13]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:14 - Jan 19 with 847 viewsPinewoodblue

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:05 - Jan 19 by bluelagos

Looking at it from a Tory perspective Johnson’s appointment was, at the time, the right appointment and it secured a healthy commons majority.

Assuming the long term objective is to achieve a Conservative majority at the next General Election then it is time to get rid.

Not convinced that is in the best interest of the country going forward. The longer Johnson remains the better Labour’s GE prospects.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:20 - Jan 19 with 815 viewsGuthrum

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:09 - Jan 19 by hype313

Tho if that is only London, it wil be heavily skewed away from the Conservatives, compared with the country as a whole.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:23 - Jan 19 with 798 viewshype313

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:20 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Tho if that is only London, it wil be heavily skewed away from the Conservatives, compared with the country as a whole.

Yep, I missed the London in brackets, but to be fair all other polls nationally seem to be following a similar trend.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:25 - Jan 19 with 796 viewsBlueNomad

Do you really think they will vote for a leader who wants to sort out corruption? Turkeys and Christmas spring to mind
Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:28 - Jan 19 with 787 viewsBlueBadger

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:25 - Jan 19 by BlueNomad

Do you really think they will vote for a leader who wants to sort out corruption? Turkeys and Christmas spring to mind

They'll vote for one who'll SAY they'll sort out corruption but is likely to do nothing about it.

So, Sunak.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:35 - Jan 19 with 760 viewsGuthrum

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:23 - Jan 19 by hype313

Yep, I missed the London in brackets, but to be fair all other polls nationally seem to be following a similar trend.

For them to stand a chance, Labour needs not only a sizeable swing, but it to be concentrated in the right areas. Plus a movement towards the LibDems in seats they are unlikely to win themselves (e.g. in the South West).

Labour are probably going to win most of London anyway, but that only represents a bit over 10% of seats. They need to grab back areas of the North and even Scotland to stand a chance.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:45 - Jan 19 with 728 viewsElderGrizzly

The other thing against Johnson here, is the no-confidence vote/challenge that follows the letter submission is anonymous.

All those currently publicly backing him as they fear for their cabinet posts will very quickly turn.
Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:48 - Jan 19 with 714 viewsStokieBlue

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:45 - Jan 19 by ElderGrizzly

The other thing against Johnson here, is the no-confidence vote/challenge that follows the letter submission is anonymous.

All those currently publicly backing him as they fear for their cabinet posts will very quickly turn.

There is absolutely no chance he would survive and anonymous vote in my opinion.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:56 - Jan 19 with 686 viewsRadlett_blue

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:14 - Jan 19 by Pinewoodblue

Looking at it from a Tory perspective Johnson’s appointment was, at the time, the right appointment and it secured a healthy commons majority.

Assuming the long term objective is to achieve a Conservative majority at the next General Election then it is time to get rid.

Not convinced that is in the best interest of the country going forward. The longer Johnson remains the better Labour’s GE prospects.

Indeed. Johnson won the Tory leadership largely because the grass roots membership believed he was the leader most likely to deliver Brexit & if that hadn't happened, the party would have fractured. Johnson, with his easy going manner & simple slogans, also proved to have far broader electoral appeal than the sneering liberal intelligentsia considered, although he was helped by facing a Labour party with no policy on Brexit & an unelectable leader.
MPs will only get rid of Johnson if they think he's going to be a huge vote loser at the next election. This is over 2 years away & if we see off COVID & the economy is in decent shape, he might not be as toxic as he is now. The other problem will be finding a credible leader who can hold on to the "red wall" seats in Labour's heartlands. Jeremy Hunt would be a reasonable PM but is disliked by many of the young as an unpopular former Health Minister; not sure Truss, Gove or Sunak would play that well in the North either.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:57 - Jan 19 with 683 viewsHARRY10

If it was a straight vote for a leader (not a confidence vote) would Johnson now be the front runner

There maybe those who back him in the latter as they don't think now is the time for a leadership fight
Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:58 - Jan 19 with 668 viewsbluelagos

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:45 - Jan 19 by ElderGrizzly

Are you suggesting Nadine Dorries won't be retained in any future cabinet? Surely not.

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:58 - Jan 19 with 668 viewsSwansea_Blue

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:14 - Jan 19 by Pinewoodblue

Yep, they played a blinder from a campaigning perspective. The trouble is BJ and his version of the CP wants to govern on a campaigning basis too, which doesn't work at all does it?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:59 - Jan 19 with 664 viewsDarth_Koont

Potential Tory leadership vote on 10:13 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

I await a post from Koonters saying that anyone but Starmer would have a 40 point lead.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 10:13]

I’ll await a post from you being disingenuo... oh.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024