Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rekeem Harper 15:09 - Jan 31 with 2000 viewsclive_baker

Such a strange one IMO. First impressions I thought we had that athletic, physical midfielder that we've seemed to lack for a long time. Covers the ground quickly like a gazelle, can get forward, nice on the ball, young, English, big upside potential. Came in off the back of being a regular fixture for Birmingham this time last season in the Championship. Looked for all the money like we had signed a proper player.

I think it's fair that it didn't work alongside Evans, culminating in the Bolton defeat where to be fair to Harper he was 1 of 11 that didn't cover themselves in glory, and Evans was certainly not blameless. And he hasn't started in the league since, and has never started a game alongside Morsy. El Mizouni, Carroll and Bakinson have all seemingly jumped ahead of him with starts latterly. Really disappointing IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rekeem Harper on 15:11 - Jan 31 with 1951 viewsjayessess

Still young. Hopefully goes somewhere, plays 20 games, comes back confident and ready to kick on.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Rekeem Harper on 15:11 - Jan 31 with 1942 viewshomer_123

I concur with the good gentleman.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Rekeem Harper on 15:12 - Jan 31 with 1917 viewsRyorry

Agree, he's the one I'm most disappointed is leaving. Obvs coaches see things we don't, but all the same, I'd like to have seen him have more game-time with us.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Rekeem Harper on 15:17 - Jan 31 with 1871 viewsIllinoisblue

Similar disappointment with Edwards. His debut at Cheltenham, which seems a lifetime ago, was really good, lashing in shots from distance. And then, slowly faded into the background. Should be said, hard for any new player to settle in at a club, but our new batch have had three managers and multiple assistants in just six months. Time and blank slates needed.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Rekeem Harper on 15:22 - Jan 31 with 1777 viewsMetal_Hacker

Agree - thought he and Edwards were going to take us to another planet

Still time - would love to see both succeed here

Poll: If it were one or the other

Rekeem Harper on 15:25 - Jan 31 with 1756 viewstractorshark

I’m still confident Harper could be a very good player for us. In fact I’d have him ahead of El Miz.
But obviously something isn’t quite right at the moment.
Every time I’ve seen him on the pitch, he’s done pretty well.
Yes he’s prone to errors and can be a bit sleepy but on the whole he keeps possession well, which fits into McKenna’s philosophy.
I liken him to Trevoh Chalobah. He was a bit naive and dopey at times but he’s now playing Champions League football.
Rekeem Harper on 15:32 - Jan 31 with 1678 viewsLankHenners

Agree completely - really looked forward to seeing him play and early impressions were of someone who likes to get on the ball, can drive forwards with it or play a good pass up the lines from deep, very press resistant etc. but unfortunately seems to be a victim of playing in an unsettled team that was struggling for results, and once Cook had his Evans and Morsy partnership in no-one else was going to get a look in.

Not to drag up the Ashton signings vs Cook signings nonsense that's been bubbling up recently but I really don't see the point of loaning Bakinson in when we have Harper here. Sure the former looks a tidy player but doesn't seem as dynamic as Harper. Also can't see why Carroll's ahead of him either - again a tidy operator but painfully one-footed and looks very lightweight.

A disappointment for me if he doesn't get a proper chance here.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Rekeem Harper on 15:34 - Jan 31 with 1650 viewsmarkchips

Rekeem Harper on 15:25 - Jan 31 by tractorshark

I’m still confident Harper could be a very good player for us. In fact I’d have him ahead of El Miz.
But obviously something isn’t quite right at the moment.
Every time I’ve seen him on the pitch, he’s done pretty well.
Yes he’s prone to errors and can be a bit sleepy but on the whole he keeps possession well, which fits into McKenna’s philosophy.
I liken him to Trevoh Chalobah. He was a bit naive and dopey at times but he’s now playing Champions League football.

Have to agree, along with Edwards.

Pretty pleased with the clear out which has taken place. A shedload of work for Ashton and his team so well done to them.

Hoping for a last minute surprise but not sure who at the moment. Matete did impress against Morsy and is therefore the most likely candidate, even though Phil played it down at the weekend.
Login to get fewer ads

Rekeem Harper on 15:40 - Jan 31 with 1566 viewsHullblue

Agreed. I thought he and Fraser might get a run as 8s under McKenna with a holding midfielder behind them - especially with Morsy being out. Maybe they haven’t impressed in training.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Rekeem Harper on 16:16 - Jan 31 with 1378 viewsN2_Blue

Totally agree.

I had seen Harper play a few games before he signed and was really excited to see us sign him. I don't really understand why his opportunities have been so limited with Evans not exactly shinning and Morsy missing a few games.

After Saturday's failing I had really hoped he'd get a chance in one of the next two games that Morsy is not available but it seems he's not in McKenna's plans currently. Definitely a disappointment

Edited as I hadn't realised Harper was expected to be sent out on loan.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 16:19]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Rekeem Harper on 16:32 - Jan 31 with 1267 viewsjayessess

Rekeem Harper on 16:16 - Jan 31 by N2_Blue

Totally agree.

I had seen Harper play a few games before he signed and was really excited to see us sign him. I don't really understand why his opportunities have been so limited with Evans not exactly shinning and Morsy missing a few games.

After Saturday's failing I had really hoped he'd get a chance in one of the next two games that Morsy is not available but it seems he's not in McKenna's plans currently. Definitely a disappointment

Edited as I hadn't realised Harper was expected to be sent out on loan.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 16:19]

He also had 4 starts in cup competitions and El Mizouni looked the better player in all of them. I'm not saying that's a fair reflection of his underlying ability, but it's really hard to justify sticking him in the first team when he doesn't take opportunities to shine even against very very poor opposition. You'd need him to be exceptional in training really (I've no idea if he is).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Rekeem Harper on 16:36 - Jan 31 with 1230 viewstractordownsouth

My Birmingham-supporting friend said his time there was the same. He started off very well and then faded.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Rekeem Harper on 16:36 - Jan 31 with 1230 viewsGarv

Rekeem Harper on 15:17 - Jan 31 by Illinoisblue

Similar disappointment with Edwards. His debut at Cheltenham, which seems a lifetime ago, was really good, lashing in shots from distance. And then, slowly faded into the background. Should be said, hard for any new player to settle in at a club, but our new batch have had three managers and multiple assistants in just six months. Time and blank slates needed.

Trouble was with Edwards that day, he did all his good work around the half way line or 40 yards out. Nothing in and around the box.

I really hope we keep trying with both him and Harper though. Harper just looks lackadaisical and doesn't seem to be trusted to do a job and stick to his position - probably why he wasn't too bad as a makeshift no.10. I made the comparison to Chalobah a while back and how he was worth persisting with (for Chelsea) and look at him now.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Rekeem Harper on 17:04 - Jan 31 with 1082 viewschicoazul

Had a really nasty dose of covid to be fair.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Rekeem Harper on 20:15 - Jan 31 with 817 viewshadleighboyblue

Rekeem Harper on 15:22 - Jan 31 by Metal_Hacker

Agree - thought he and Edwards were going to take us to another planet

Still time - would love to see both succeed here

Hopefully the better quality of coaching we have now will improve them both
Rekeem Harper on 20:41 - Jan 31 with 713 viewsRyorry

Rekeem Harper on 17:04 - Jan 31 by chicoazul

Had a really nasty dose of covid to be fair.

Didn't realise that. thanks for the info (assuming it's correct).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024