Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your three underrated albums 10:43 - Feb 19 with 2920 viewsGlasgowBlue

OK we've done your three overrated albums. So now the three underrated.

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks (1968)

A complete flop at the time by a band who were out of step with the times. Now held up as a work of genius. And rightly so.

McCartney II - Paul McCartney (1980)

Like 1970’s McCartney, self produced and all instruments (although this the synths) played by Macca. An album that divided the critics at the time but now championed by the likes of Mark Ronson and has a cult following. The above track invents the Gorillaz twenty years before Damon Albarn did.

The Dreaming - Kate Bush (1982)

Like McCarney II, an album that is not looking for commercial success. When released everyone thought she was committing commercial suicide but now people say that without the Dreaming there would have been no Hounds of Love. No two songs sound the same. It’s an album I never tire of listening to. Absolutely brilliantly bonkers.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 7:59]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Your three underrated albums on 11:00 - Feb 19 with 2092 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Voodoo lounge. Possibly the stones most complete album.

I'd do to more bur Mrs B and T insists I get out of bed

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Your three underrated albums on 11:06 - Feb 19 with 2074 viewsmylittletown

Scary Monsters. Brilliant and innovative. Maybe his last really groundbreaking album.

Cortez the Killer alone makes Zuma a great album, often overlooked.

Bob Marley always claimed not to like the production, but he was wrong! The last real Wailers album. Much more disciplined than his later, often self indulgent stuff.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 11:12]
Your three underrated albums on 11:12 - Feb 19 with 2035 viewsstickymockwell

The VGPS produced my favourite Kinks track. Picture books baseline is just genius

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Your three underrated albums on 11:14 - Feb 19 with 2025 viewsLord_Lucan

English Settlement - XTC

So Far Away - The Chords

Kaleidoscope - Siouxsie and the Banshees

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Your three underrated albums on 11:17 - Feb 19 with 2003 viewsleitrimblue

Your three underrated albums on 11:14 - Feb 19 by Lord_Lucan

English Settlement - XTC

So Far Away - The Chords

Kaleidoscope - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Somethings missing
Your three underrated albums on 11:20 - Feb 19 with 1987 viewsLord_Lucan

Your three underrated albums on 11:17 - Feb 19 by leitrimblue

Somethings missing

I'll be seeing them in a few months at Mods Mayday at The Round Chapel - I'm even forgoing an Amsterdam trip for this.

Can't wait, I saw them at The Corn Exchange in 1981 !!
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 11:21]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Your three underrated albums on 11:22 - Feb 19 with 1972 viewsKeno

Your three underrated albums on 11:06 - Feb 19 by mylittletown

Scary Monsters. Brilliant and innovative. Maybe his last really groundbreaking album.

Cortez the Killer alone makes Zuma a great album, often overlooked.

Bob Marley always claimed not to like the production, but he was wrong! The last real Wailers album. Much more disciplined than his later, often self indulgent stuff.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 11:12]

In no particular order

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Your three underrated albums on 11:26 - Feb 19 with 1944 viewsleitrimblue

Your three underrated albums on 11:20 - Feb 19 by Lord_Lucan

I'll be seeing them in a few months at Mods Mayday at The Round Chapel - I'm even forgoing an Amsterdam trip for this.

Not really heard any of those bands for probably will over 30 odd years. But the second I seen the chords mentioned that tune stuck in my head, was one of those we played on repeat at the time. Lot of those bands are very underrated. Think you could make one hell of an album from a compilation of the best of the chords, secret affair, Merton parkas, the Lambrettas, the moment etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Your three underrated albums on 11:49 - Feb 19 with 1881 viewsLancsBlue

Your three underrated albums on 11:20 - Feb 19 by Lord_Lucan

The much maligned Mod Revival of the late 70s/early 80s actually produced a handful of excellent bands, The Chords foremost amongst them. I'd add in Squire, The Purple Hearts and a handful of great singles by the likes of The Name, The Killermeters and Back to Zero. Unfortunately the cartoon pop of the likes of The Lambrettas, Merton Parkas and Secret Affair sullied things and really accounts for the bad rap that the movement as a whole received.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Your three underrated albums on 11:52 - Feb 19 with 1864 viewsLancsBlue

GlasgowBlue - When did anyone seriously underate The Kinks? Surely one of the most lauded bands ever and your choice of album possibly their finest hour.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Your three underrated albums on 11:56 - Feb 19 with 1849 viewsmarchy

Springsteen - Tunnel Of Love (1987)

A masterpiece that fell through the gap between the unwise disbanding of E Street and the general 90s slump.

Neil Young - On The Beach (1974)

Mostly forgotten as it didn't get a CD pressing for many years, and a bit of a gloomy listen, but not a bad track on it.

Owl John - Owl John (2014)

Perhaps not so much underrated as just not widely enough known.
Your three underrated albums on 12:08 - Feb 19 with 1811 viewsBlueastheycome

The first Black Grape album. Mondays have some classics don’t get me wrong but I think I actually first Black Grape album! The other Black Grape albums are complete fluff tho

Just seen 3 but I only posted one- sorry
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 12:10]
Your three underrated albums on 13:08 - Feb 19 with 1721 viewsIllinoisblue

Black Celebration - Depeche Mode. Fantastic album that is perhaps overshadowed or overlooked by the huge success of Violator three years later.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Your three underrated albums on 13:09 - Feb 19 with 1717 viewsLord_Lucan

Your three underrated albums on 11:49 - Feb 19 by LancsBlue

The much maligned Mod Revival of the late 70s/early 80s actually produced a handful of excellent bands, The Chords foremost amongst them. I'd add in Squire, The Purple Hearts and a handful of great singles by the likes of The Name, The Killermeters and Back to Zero. Unfortunately the cartoon pop of the likes of The Lambrettas, Merton Parkas and Secret Affair sullied things and really accounts for the bad rap that the movement as a whole received.

I saw The Lambrettas and Merton Parkas back in the day. Merton Parkas could actually play - as can Secret Affair, but they were just different from the power pop Mod revival types.

I like the Chords a lot but I don't regard them as a Mod band but more a band who were liked by Mods. They might disagree with that now but at the time they sort of latched on to the scene - whereas Purple Hearts, Secret Affair, Squire etc were actual Mod bands. The Truth, The Circles and Squire are all at Mods Mayday this year as well.

I went to see The Purple Hearts a few years ago with Bossbeard but the tvvat got his timings wrong and we missed them.

Buzzcocks rode the punk / New Wave bandwagon after seeing The Sex Pistols in Manchester when only about 60 people turned up - amongst the audience were Warsaw - later to become Joy Division, Mick Hucknall, Martin Hannett and Tony Wilson - but in their hearts The Buzzcocks are Mods!

Your three underrated albums on 14:15 - Feb 19 with 1630 viewsLord_Lucan

Annoyingly people disregard my Buzzcocks mod influenced stand and say it's cr4p but I just found this pic online of Steve Diggle which I think puts the argument to rest.

Your three underrated albums on 14:20 - Feb 19 with 1619 viewsGlasgowBlue

Your three underrated albums on 14:15 - Feb 19 by Lord_Lucan

Annoyingly people disregard my Buzzcocks mod influenced stand and say it's cr4p but I just found this pic online of Steve Diggle which I think puts the argument to rest.

I thought that was Eddie Piller until I enlarged the picture.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Your three underrated albums on 14:27 - Feb 19 with 1602 viewsZx1988

A far cry from the later more-polarising stuff.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Your three underrated albums on 14:40 - Feb 19 with 1588 viewsLord_Lucan

Your three underrated albums on 14:27 - Feb 19 by Zx1988

A far cry from the later more-polarising stuff.

Yeah, I liked that and Queen 1

Although Night at The Opera was brilliant it was a complete change in direction and from Day at the Races onwards I thought they were a bit meh.

Your three underrated albums on 14:43 - Feb 19 with 1570 viewsLord_Lucan

Your three underrated albums on 14:20 - Feb 19 by GlasgowBlue

I thought that was Eddie Piller until I enlarged the picture.

Buzzcocks before they got swept up by the Punk phenomenon

Your three underrated albums on 14:53 - Feb 19 with 1550 viewsWeWereZombies

Let's be honest, we have all got this in our collection...and we all got it in a bargain bin for a fiver long after we ever stood a chance of seeing him alive:

I keep on dropping this into ericclacton threads but no one ever picks up on them:

And the definitive 'what it feels like to be a free spirit in close minded Britain' album:

[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 15:04]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Your three underrated albums on 15:59 - Feb 19 with 1494 viewsIPS_wich

REM - New Adventures in Hi Fi. They lost a lot of fans with the release of Monster and this went a bit under the radar, but I’d probably rate it in their top 3/4 albums.

Pixies - Bossanova. Will always pale in comparison to Doolittle, but it’s a really fun album with some great tracks on it.

Interpol - Antics. All of the plaudits go to Turn on the Bright Lights - and I do think it’s a very good debut, but I far far prefer Antics - not a single song that’s less than an 8 out of 10.
Your three underrated albums on 22:23 - Feb 19 with 1406 viewsthecheek

The Coral - The Coral

Always amazed me how I group of kids threw so many influences on to one album and made it work

Duran Duran - Duran Duran

We all know the early singles but the debut album is often overlooked

Happy Mondays - Bummed

This was what the Mondays were all about and miles better than the more commercial Pills N Thrills

Your three underrated albums on 10:04 - Feb 20 with 1240 viewsglasso

Cable - When Animals Attack

Absolutely brilliant album
Your three underrated albums on 11:01 - Feb 20 with 1200 viewsSharkey

The Jam - The Gift
Your three underrated albums on 11:32 - Feb 20 with 1171 viewstheinbetweener

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024