Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now 09:06 - Feb 28 with 2715 viewsGuthrum

A swift ceasefire, at least, would be good.

And, perhaps, plausible. Fighting has not gone the way Moscow wanted and sanctions are perhaps heavier than they were expecting, too. Meanwhile Kyiv just wants to prevent collapse and any further casualties. Much now depends upon egoes and hubris.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

[Redacted] on 09:08 - Feb 28 with 1576 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:14 - Feb 28 with 1542 viewsEdwardStone

But how can anyone be expected to trust a single word dribbling from the mouths Putin or his lackeys?

Their credibility is in shreds after their repeated lies about their intentions towards Ukraine last week

Second rate liars..... and it seems, second rate strategists
Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:14 - Feb 28 with 1541 viewshomer_123

Agreed - would be good for at least a cease fire to take place.

I'm not convinced that Putin is ready to let this go as yet however.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:15 - Feb 28 with 1518 viewsJ2BLUE

No attacks until talks are over...on the border...chances of the Ukrainians being terrorised all the way back to Kyiv with deliberate near misses?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:26 - Feb 28 with 1446 viewsWD19

I was a bit more optimistic yesterday. I even thought some of the ratcheting up of rhetoric on all sides - including the EU - felt a bit stage managed and that the diplomatic channels had been running hot towards delivering a potential 'way out' for Putin.

Now I think it is just an exercise by Russia to mask the fact that they are a bit of a rabble and needed 48-72 hours of calm to ready themselves for a frontal assault on Kyiv. People have stooped asking "why are Russia making so little progress" because it is being treated as though they might want to give peace a chance.....

......by repeating the exact same demands they had to start with. Plus presumably now wanting reparations for all the kit they have lost.
Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:27 - Feb 28 with 1439 viewsGuthrum

[Redacted] on 09:08 - Feb 28 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Time gained is for both sides. A pause allows yet more weapons to arrive in Ukraine, further eroding Russia's military superiority. Plus defences can be reorganised, militias armed and trained.

I'm not saying Putin's aim has gone away, but is it any longer practical to achieve (this time around) without damage to Russia and its economy. If the Ukrainians are willing to make some paper concessions (e.g. agreeing not to join NATO), then Putin can go home with his "victory" and end the fighting before his own people get restive at the casualty figures.

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:29 - Feb 28 with 1434 viewsGuthrum

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:14 - Feb 28 by EdwardStone

But how can anyone be expected to trust a single word dribbling from the mouths Putin or his lackeys?

Their credibility is in shreds after their repeated lies about their intentions towards Ukraine last week

Second rate liars..... and it seems, second rate strategists

All that is true, but some level of trust has to be applied, or the fighting will just continue.

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:30 - Feb 28 with 1441 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I don't know what there is to negotiate.

Ukraine: Get out of our country.
Russia: No.
Silence.
Tea lady: Tea anyone?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:40 - Feb 28 with 1372 viewsGuthrum

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:26 - Feb 28 by WD19

I was a bit more optimistic yesterday. I even thought some of the ratcheting up of rhetoric on all sides - including the EU - felt a bit stage managed and that the diplomatic channels had been running hot towards delivering a potential 'way out' for Putin.

Now I think it is just an exercise by Russia to mask the fact that they are a bit of a rabble and needed 48-72 hours of calm to ready themselves for a frontal assault on Kyiv. People have stooped asking "why are Russia making so little progress" because it is being treated as though they might want to give peace a chance.....

......by repeating the exact same demands they had to start with. Plus presumably now wanting reparations for all the kit they have lost.

If they try another assault and that fails, it further weakens their position. And is guaranteed to be a difficult and very expensive operation - street fighting notoriously evens up the odds and negates armoured superiority.

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:44 - Feb 28 with 1325 viewsGuthrum

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:30 - Feb 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Silence.

Primarily how to get out of this situation. If Russia didn't want to at least explore that, why bother with talks at all? It's not like they have any further need to "justify" the invasion (in too deep already).

Take what leverage they have - primarily territory gained along the Azov coast, plus the threat to Kyiv - and use it.

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:48 - Feb 28 with 1298 viewsEdwardStone

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:44 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

Primarily how to get out of this situation. If Russia didn't want to at least explore that, why bother with talks at all? It's not like they have any further need to "justify" the invasion (in too deep already).

Take what leverage they have - primarily territory gained along the Azov coast, plus the threat to Kyiv - and use it.

I have also heard repeated references to the "land bridge".... a coastal strip of territory that allows then access to Crimea from mainland Russia
Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:49 - Feb 28 with 1299 viewsJ2BLUE

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:30 - Feb 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Silence.

Ukraine claims 4500 Russian soldiers are dead.

That is another tragedy. Sent to meaningless deaths by a madman. 4500 Russian families broken and this could just be the start.

Let's hope sense prevails.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:52 - Feb 28 with 1242 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:44 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

As others have said, to buy time. Or at least to look like they're not unreasonable: "Well we tried talks."

I just don't see that Putin cares about 'getting out of the situation.' How often do bullies enter into talks other than "you had enough then?!"

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:53 - Feb 28 with 1246 viewsTrequartista

You are one of the most knowledgeable posters on here but I wish I had your optimism. To me it seems another charade. Ben Wallace is saying the nuclear threat is a distraction from Ukraine, but it feels more to me that Ukraine is a distraction from the nuclear threat and I am still feeling sick.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:54 - Feb 28 with 1230 viewsBloomBlue

Or maybe it's another plan of Putin to lie.. ie ... Putin goes back to his public and tells them they held talks but all the Ukraine neonazis did was threatened them and he has tried to talk and reach an agreement, he has only attacked military positions to date but now he has to protect the Russia people by taking it to the next level of heavy bombing of Ukraine.. ..
Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:55 - Feb 28 with 1198 viewsGuthrum

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:48 - Feb 28 by EdwardStone

I have also heard repeated references to the "land bridge".... a coastal strip of territory that allows then access to Crimea from mainland Russia

Which they have pretty much now secured, altho fighting is still going on around the port of Mariupol.

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:57 - Feb 28 with 1180 viewsEdwardStone

[Redacted] on 09:08 - Feb 28 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

But every hour that passes the Russian economy collapses further, the shipments of Stinger missiles and other hardware get nearer to where they are needed and wavering nations are seeing which way the winds of Geopolitics are blowing

I'm not sure any delays favour the Russians in this case
Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:02 - Feb 28 with 1158 viewsGuthrum

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:53 - Feb 28 by Trequartista

You are one of the most knowledgeable posters on here but I wish I had your optimism. To me it seems another charade. Ben Wallace is saying the nuclear threat is a distraction from Ukraine, but it feels more to me that Ukraine is a distraction from the nuclear threat and I am still feeling sick.

I deliberately used the words 'hope' and 'plausible', rather than suggesting any certainty.

Also, I don't think nuclear war can be Putin's primary aim, unless he has truly gone insane. That would just be pulling the house down upon himself and everyone else. It would mean the destruction of Russia as much as of the West.

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:04 - Feb 28 with 1134 viewsGuthrum

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:52 - Feb 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

As others have said, to buy time. Or at least to look like they're not unreasonable: "Well we tried talks."

I just don't see that Putin cares about 'getting out of the situation.' How often do bullies enter into talks other than "you had enough then?!"

When someone's thumped them back.

Putin has no need to look reasonable, except to his supporters among the Russian elites (and to some extent their general public).

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:04 - Feb 28 with 1137 viewsnodge_blue

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:53 - Feb 28 by Trequartista

Cornered tigers don't like it.

There has to be an out for Putin somehow.

I fear he's unstable. We need to tread a fine line now. I'm not for appeasing dictators but we can't trap him entirely.

However, in terms of nukes, as one expert said last night, if his short term intention was to use them, he wouldn't be telling us about it. Which makes sense.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:07 - Feb 28 with 1114 viewsGuthrum

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:04 - Feb 28 by nodge_blue

Cornered tigers don't like it.

There has to be an out for Putin somehow.

I fear he's unstable. We need to tread a fine line now. I'm not for appeasing dictators but we can't trap him entirely.

However, in terms of nukes, as one expert said last night, if his short term intention was to use them, he wouldn't be telling us about it. Which makes sense.

Absolutely. Nobody announces a nuclear first strike beforehand. Risks the pre-emptive destruction of their own weapons, plus giving vital alert time for defences.

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:09 - Feb 28 with 1103 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 09:49 - Feb 28 by J2BLUE

Ukraine claims 4500 Russian soldiers are dead.

That is another tragedy. Sent to meaningless deaths by a madman. 4500 Russian families broken and this could just be the start.

Let's hope sense prevails.

Your last sentence is the problem where Putin's concerned. And he clearly doesn't care/feels untouchable about sending all those Russian soldiers to their deaths either.

Let's hope the Russian people wake up.

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:10 - Feb 28 with 1094 viewsTrequartista

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:02 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

I deliberately used the words 'hope' and 'plausible', rather than suggesting any certainty.

Also, I don't think nuclear war can be Putin's primary aim, unless he has truly gone insane. That would just be pulling the house down upon himself and everyone else. It would mean the destruction of Russia as much as of the West.

“Why do we need a world without Russia” Putin 2018

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:14 - Feb 28 with 1044 viewstractorboy1978

Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:04 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

When someone's thumped them back.

Putin has no need to look reasonable, except to his supporters among the Russian elites (and to some extent their general public).

How much support does he have? Appreciate he's been a dictator for two decades and has close ties with the oligarchs but they can be far from happy with how this is panning out and the response from the West which is going to have long term consequences for them. Even his own Defence Sec and leading general seemed visibly reticent on that video yesterday. And he can't lock up everyone that is protesting on the streets. It feels to me that the end of this comes from within Russia itself but then that is just me speculating.
Russo-Ukrainian talks in Pripyat due to begin about now on 10:23 - Feb 28 with 1017 viewsgordon

Russia just needs a temporary ceasefire of a few days to get supplies to troops etc. because of their miscalculations about how easy it would be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024