Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How about a change of tactics? 14:48 - Apr 16 with 3094 viewsArnieM

You know, trying two up front!

We’re so bloody predictable. And no this is not a post from the Cook or Lambert era….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

How about a change of tactics? on 14:57 - Apr 16 with 2117 viewsBluecasp

I agree. We are very predictable.
How about a change of tactics? on 14:58 - Apr 16 with 2112 viewspointofblue

Our recent managers seem obsessed with trying the same thing over and over. Don’t get it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How about a change of tactics? on 14:59 - Apr 16 with 2095 viewsFrimleyBlue

because we don't have a formation, we have roles.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

How about a change of tactics? on 15:02 - Apr 16 with 2085 viewsstrikalite

We do need a plan B, that second half shows that, massive gap from midfield to Norwood and then Bonne...sometimes you have to go long to get us up the pitch, the Striking options are the problem, that'll change next season without a doubt..
How about a change of tactics? on 15:03 - Apr 16 with 2069 viewskizaitfc

We ended up with 2 up top.

We looked worse IMO.

The formation we play suits us best and very much worked first half.

For me that game came down to Rotherham wanting it more

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

How about a change of tactics? on 15:07 - Apr 16 with 2044 viewspointofblue

How about a change of tactics? on 15:03 - Apr 16 by kizaitfc

We looked worse IMO.

Ainsworth pointed out that their injury helped as Warne took advantage by flooding the midfield. Perhaps we should have subbed Celina for Carroll and tried an extra body there? Sometimes more is needed in other positions other than up front.

How about a change of tactics? on 15:09 - Apr 16 with 2037 viewsLeoMuff

Midfield Is the problem not up front, absolutely no service from anyone other than Burns and they cut that off second half. Santi and Aluko are are more making a front 3, meaning we only have 2 to link things up. Thompson being more left back than left mid doesn’t help.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

How about a change of tactics? on 15:09 - Apr 16 with 2033 viewsWickets

We looked worse IMO.

First half maybe but the last three second half's we have lost 1-0 . Simply not good enough .
Login to get fewer ads

How about a change of tactics? on 15:12 - Apr 16 with 2019 viewsIllinoisblue

How about a change of tactics? on 15:09 - Apr 16 by LeoMuff

Midfield Is the problem not up front, absolutely no service from anyone other than Burns and they cut that off second half. Santi and Aluko are are more making a front 3, meaning we only have 2 to link things up. Thompson being more left back than left mid doesn’t help.

Exactly this. Unless Burns is marauding forward, nobody else is.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How about a change of tactics? on 15:17 - Apr 16 with 1995 viewsArnieM

How about a change of tactics? on 15:07 - Apr 16 by pointofblue

Ainsworth pointed out that their injury helped as Warne took advantage by flooding the midfield. Perhaps we should have subbed Celina for Carroll and tried an extra body there? Sometimes more is needed in other positions other than up front.

Exactly . It’s about changing tactics WITHIN the game. So many people on here used to slaughter Cook for being fixed in his tactics …. So how is McKenna any different in his tactics ?? We might be difficult to score against and keep the ball , but we do sod all with it in the opposition box ( IF we ever get it into their box)

How about a change of tactics? on 15:34 - Apr 16 with 1946 viewsLeoMuff

How about a change of tactics? on 15:17 - Apr 16 by ArnieM

Exactly . It’s about changing tactics WITHIN the game. So many people on here used to slaughter Cook for being fixed in his tactics …. So how is McKenna any different in his tactics ?? We might be difficult to score against and keep the ball , but we do sod all with it in the opposition box ( IF we ever get it into their box)

Tbf other games KMC has switched things to our advantage mid game, but today looked a no brainer for extra in midfield at 55-60 mins, we could barely touch the ball.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

How about a change of tactics? on 16:04 - Apr 16 with 1882 viewsSwansea_Blue

We looked worse IMO.

Yeah, they seemed to work a bit harder than us, hustled us well and we’re a bit more physical. They didn’t give us any time on the ball and we didn’t win the physical battle that would have let us play more.

Mind you, had Norwood taken that chance things could have gone very differently.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How about a change of tactics? on 17:07 - Apr 16 with 1826 viewsMach_foreignBlue

How about a change of tactics? on 15:17 - Apr 16 by ArnieM

I wonder when McKenna gets questioned. Both him and Cook seem to have no plan B. All fine though when plan A works.

We barely create any chances and it becomes very annoying. No I am not asking for sacking McKenna. I am actually giving him a benefit of doubt as he may need his own players to bring in. First signs regarding his own players are worrying though as it was McKenna who brought Thompson to the club. How bloody terrible this player is.

Furthermore, 4 months on the training pitch and our set-pieces remain diabolical.

I just want us to create chances, score goals and win ugly when required. Becoming sick of this one system and passing football. Just be flexible McKenna !
How about a change of tactics? on 17:36 - Apr 16 with 1788 viewstimothyeo

We certainly need to create more chances. People bemoan Norwood but in League One it's very hard to get strikers who will score 1 in every 2 chances. The average is 1 in 3, maybe even 4 at this level. Thus, you need to create more.
How about a change of tactics? on 17:57 - Apr 16 with 1757 viewspointofblue

How about a change of tactics? on 15:34 - Apr 16 by LeoMuff

Tbf other games KMC has switched things to our advantage mid game, but today looked a no brainer for extra in midfield at 55-60 mins, we could barely touch the ball.

I honestly can't remember a game under McKenna when we've been playing badly and he's turned it around with a tactical switch. Oxford was wind related more than anything (but we did look excellent in the second half that day).

If there were others then please say, ready to hold my hands up. But, from memory, we've either stayed decent, stayed poor (in fairness, this is very rare), gone from good to very good or switched from good/decent to poor.

How about a change of tactics? on 18:50 - Apr 16 with 1700 viewsJ4ck22

Ah yes, the tactical genius of simply playing with two strikers instead of one is what we're missing...
How about a change of tactics? on 19:05 - Apr 16 with 1681 viewsBeforeyouwereborn

We looked worse IMO.

Didn't go,watch or listen so no opinion on today but one up front didn't work for McCarthy, Hurst, Lambert and Cook and it seems to me to be a fixation with a lot of coaches. Maybe the manuals should be revised? Bringing on an 'extra' striker when the game is lost does not prove for or against. What is certain is that we do not have the quality of players that can make one up front work, so either drop it or get someone who can score goals.
How about a change of tactics? on 19:29 - Apr 16 with 1628 viewsWhos_blue

The problem with making any changes up front is reliant on those coming on being able to score.
We had 3 strikers on the pitch today and none of them looked like scoring. It's easy to knock Norwood, but he really should have put that chance away.
We also had two front for a least 20 minutes and neither had a sniff of a chance. Arguably we looked less like scoring with 2 up front.
It's an emotional roller coaster being a supporter and it's easy ro understand after at least a decade of under performance the desire for some glimpse of success. However, KMc is a completely different breed of manager to what we've ever seen at the club and I'm intrigued to see how things are going to develop under him. I've been around a while and I'm genuinely excited at the prospect of a good pre season both in the transfer market and on the training pitch.
I know it's the hope that kills you, but sometimes hope is all you have.
Let's try to enjoy the ride and not get obsessively bogged down forensically examining every defeat. We're doing ok and the damage was done before KMc arrived. (This is a general comment and not aimed at the OP).

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

How about a change of tactics? on 19:33 - Apr 16 with 1616 viewsBluedandy

How about a change of tactics? on 17:07 - Apr 16 by Mach_foreignBlue

I wonder when McKenna gets questioned. Both him and Cook seem to have no plan B. All fine though when plan A works.

We barely create any chances and it becomes very annoying. No I am not asking for sacking McKenna. I am actually giving him a benefit of doubt as he may need his own players to bring in. First signs regarding his own players are worrying though as it was McKenna who brought Thompson to the club. How bloody terrible this player is.

Furthermore, 4 months on the training pitch and our set-pieces remain diabolical.

I just want us to create chances, score goals and win ugly when required. Becoming sick of this one system and passing football. Just be flexible McKenna !

Rookie McKenna honeymoon period well and truly over ... we are the best team in league one when it comes to moving sideways and that's it.
How about a change of tactics? on 21:11 - Apr 16 with 1525 viewsitfcjoe

Let’s get Mike Bassett in

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How about a change of tactics? on 21:52 - Apr 16 with 1467 viewsArnieM

How about a change of tactics? on 17:07 - Apr 16 by Mach_foreignBlue

Thing is , WAS it McKenna that brought Thompson here , or was it one of Ashtons matrix punts?

This is one of the we things that concerns me going forward. Thompson isn’t any better than our own players and with regards to certain attributes ( getting forward and putting crosses in) he’s actually far worse ….

How about a change of tactics? on 21:59 - Apr 16 with 1451 viewsitfcjoe

How about a change of tactics? on 21:52 - Apr 16 by ArnieM

Thing is , WAS it McKenna that brought Thompson here , or was it one of Ashtons matrix punts?

This is one of the we things that concerns me going forward. Thompson isn’t any better than our own players and with regards to certain attributes ( getting forward and putting crosses in) he’s actually far worse ….

Who have we got who is a better LB than Thompson? Penney certainly isn’t

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How about a change of tactics? on 22:04 - Apr 16 with 1431 viewsRomeo4

How about a change of tactics? on 21:52 - Apr 16 by ArnieM

Thompson is ok. Not great going forward but makes up part of an effective defensive unit. Offered more support for Baggott today than Penney would have.
How about a change of tactics? on 22:09 - Apr 16 with 1421 viewsFrimleyBlue

How about a change of tactics? on 22:04 - Apr 16 by Romeo4

Thompson is ok. Not great going forward but makes up part of an effective defensive unit. Offered more support for Baggott today than Penney would have.

Thompson made 5 excellent runs forward making himself available. celina. He ignored him each time. But no one will dare say they noticed it and it cost us opportunities in attack.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2022 22:14]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

How about a change of tactics? on 22:13 - Apr 16 with 1400 viewsRomeo4

How about a change of tactics? on 22:09 - Apr 16 by FrimleyBlue

Thompson made 5 excellent runs forward making himself available. celina. He ignored him each time. But no one will dare say they noticed it and it cost us opportunities in attack.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2022 22:14]

Celina continues to underwhelm. Occasional flashes of quality is not enough. Really need him to effect games more consistently.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024