Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we now live in a post joke world? 07:53 - Jun 30 with 2803 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Discuss?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 07:59 - Jun 30 with 1442 viewsFixed_It

Knock, Knock!
Who's there?
Postie.
Postie who?
Just open the fecking door I've got a parcel for you!

Yes.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:02 - Jun 30 with 1419 viewsclive_baker

On here we do. Can't say that's really my experience in 'real life' though.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:09 - Jun 30 with 1401 viewsDubtractor

You'll have to elaborate on the question. Pretty sure the answer is no, but maybe I've missed something?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:15 - Jun 30 with 1367 viewsitfcjoe

TWTD isn't the real world

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:21 - Jun 30 with 1328 viewsBiGDonnie

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:15 - Jun 30 by itfcjoe

TWTD isn't the real world

Take a couple of posters out the equation and we'd be ok.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 8:21]

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:24 - Jun 30 with 1301 viewseireblue

No.

No.
Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:27 - Jun 30 with 1291 viewsclive_baker

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:21 - Jun 30 by BiGDonnie

Take a couple of posters out the equation and we'd be ok.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 8:21]

There would always be a couple more.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:33 - Jun 30 with 1267 viewsDanTheMan

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:09 - Jun 30 by Dubtractor

You'll have to elaborate on the question. Pretty sure the answer is no, but maybe I've missed something?

Sounds like someone made a naughty joke on here.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:35 - Jun 30 with 1262 viewsEwan_Oozami

Not sure what that means, it is that everything's a joke but nothing's funny, or nothing is a joke, and it's all deadly serious?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:38 - Jun 30 with 1254 viewsKeno

How many surreal artists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Three, one to hold the giraffe, and one to put the clocks in the bath tub

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:41 - Jun 30 with 1246 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:38 - Jun 30 by Keno

How many surreal artists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Three, one to hold the giraffe, and one to put the clocks in the bath tub

We were talking about jokes.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:45 - Jun 30 with 1225 viewsBiGDonnie

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:41 - Jun 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

We were talking about jokes.

Exactly, jokes like this one...

COYBs

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:50 - Jun 30 with 1210 viewsDanTheMan

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:45 - Jun 30 by BiGDonnie

Weird how we live in a post joke society and yet that's still publicly available, the comments under it are very supportive and Ricky Gervais still has a very good career.

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:52 - Jun 30 with 1198 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:45 - Jun 30 by BiGDonnie

Jokes are subjectives, what offends you might not offend other people.

And I liked it.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 8:55]

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:57 - Jun 30 with 1168 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Can we ban songs too while we are at it. Even ones about fairy selves?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:58 - Jun 30 with 1158 viewsBiGDonnie

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:52 - Jun 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

And I liked it.

Yup, I found it funny too, as did the thousands in the crowd. Does that make us bad people?

COYBs

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:59 - Jun 30 with 1151 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:33 - Jun 30 by DanTheMan

Sounds like someone made a naughty joke on here.

I've probably made plenty but it's just a genuine question, esp on here but also more widely in the world.

There is the view that either everything is fair game or nothing is, which i tend to subscribe to or that actually we can only now make certain jokes, that if a joke offends anyone it can't be considered a joke regardless of how ridiculous that offence may be. I accept that some jokes are just offensive for the sake of being so and whilst that may make them bad jokes, tasteless and crass even, does that mean there no longer a right to make them after all a joke is by its nature not to be taken seriously and sometimes may be grotesque to make a point.

Many people are so quick to seize on anything they dislike, thought police out in force, we do seem to be heading for a rather Orwellain nightmare when it comes to humor, Joe Lycett getting the police called on him recently for example, Gervais and Carr both causing a stir, Dave Chappelle etc.

Curious as to people's thoughts

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:00 - Jun 30 with 1151 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:58 - Jun 30 by BiGDonnie

Yup, I found it funny too, as did the thousands in the crowd. Does that make us bad people?

I don't believe so. My Lib Dem councillor next door neighbour might disagree.
But then my Mum didn't like Bob Monkhouse's comedy.

Go figure.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 9:00]

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:05 - Jun 30 with 1127 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:59 - Jun 30 by BlueandTruesince82

I've probably made plenty but it's just a genuine question, esp on here but also more widely in the world.

There is the view that either everything is fair game or nothing is, which i tend to subscribe to or that actually we can only now make certain jokes, that if a joke offends anyone it can't be considered a joke regardless of how ridiculous that offence may be. I accept that some jokes are just offensive for the sake of being so and whilst that may make them bad jokes, tasteless and crass even, does that mean there no longer a right to make them after all a joke is by its nature not to be taken seriously and sometimes may be grotesque to make a point.

Many people are so quick to seize on anything they dislike, thought police out in force, we do seem to be heading for a rather Orwellain nightmare when it comes to humor, Joe Lycett getting the police called on him recently for example, Gervais and Carr both causing a stir, Dave Chappelle etc.

As I've said earlier. Offence is subjective, what offends me, may not offend you.

If we are going to limit all jokes because they offend 'some' people, it's not that far removed from banning abortion because it offends some people's religious sensibilities.

The fact that people seem to seek out offence so they can rebel against it, to me, is more concerning and a symptom of our addiction to social media. At least before social media anyone offended by a joke they saw on TV was limited to Points of View or the letters page of the Daily Mail.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 9:06]

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:06 - Jun 30 with 1122 viewsDanTheMan

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:59 - Jun 30 by BlueandTruesince82

Alright let's take the view that "everything is fair game or nothing is".

I want to make a holocaust joke about how hilarious it was that 6 million people were industrially gassed. Maybe a few jokes about ovens or something.

Is that OK?

What about jokes where the punchline is that black people are inferior to white people?

Is that OK?

I think there are lines people will inevitably have, and those lines are probably decided on the culture at the time. Over time jokes that were considered acceptable may become unacceptable.

Maybe in your views those jokes (where the punchline is something considered heinous) are fine. I can't say I prescribe to the idea.

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:11 - Jun 30 with 1103 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:06 - Jun 30 by DanTheMan

Alright let's take the view that "everything is fair game or nothing is".

I want to make a holocaust joke about how hilarious it was that 6 million people were industrially gassed. Maybe a few jokes about ovens or something.

Is that OK?

What about jokes where the punchline is that black people are inferior to white people?

Is that OK?

I think there are lines people will inevitably have, and those lines are probably decided on the culture at the time. Over time jokes that were considered acceptable may become unacceptable.

Maybe in your views those jokes (where the punchline is something considered heinous) are fine. I can't say I prescribe to the idea.

It really depends on the context of the joke doesn't it? If your joke is intended to mock the Nazis thats one thing, if it's about finding it funny that Jews were gassed by the Nazis thats something else.

If its about the ridiculous notion of white supremacy thats one thing, if its about celebrating the oppression of ethnic minorities thats something else.

Its really not that difficult. Just because it involves a mention of certain topics, does not make it 'off limits', the Gestapo would be big fans of that though.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 9:12]

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:16 - Jun 30 with 1080 viewsDanTheMan

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:11 - Jun 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

It really depends on the context of the joke doesn't it? If your joke is intended to mock the Nazis thats one thing, if it's about finding it funny that Jews were gassed by the Nazis thats something else.

If its about the ridiculous notion of white supremacy thats one thing, if its about celebrating the oppression of ethnic minorities thats something else.

Its really not that difficult. Just because it involves a mention of certain topics, does not make it 'off limits', the Gestapo would be big fans of that though.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 9:12]

That's not what they said, you've just drawn lines saying "this one is OK to mock, this one isn't".

So my point was there are things which you will receive a backlash for joking about / shouldn't joke about.

I agree with your point, it's basically who the punchline is about that is kind of key. There is the concept of punching upwards.

Which is why I don't really find the Ricky Gervais joke in good taste. The punchline boils down to "haha transwomen" which I don't think is that funny. It's just a joke at the expense of a minority.

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:20 - Jun 30 with 1068 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:16 - Jun 30 by DanTheMan

That's not what they said, you've just drawn lines saying "this one is OK to mock, this one isn't".

So my point was there are things which you will receive a backlash for joking about / shouldn't joke about.

I agree with your point, it's basically who the punchline is about that is kind of key. There is the concept of punching upwards.

Which is why I don't really find the Ricky Gervais joke in good taste. The punchline boils down to "haha transwomen" which I don't think is that funny. It's just a joke at the expense of a minority.

I disagree re the Gervais joke. I think its about the ridiculousness of being forced to focus on pronouns in priority over physical anatomy, particularly when it involves the rights of women, and it is openly mocking that idea.

But like I said, its subjective isn't it? And it offends you, but that doesn't mean anyone else has to share that offence. Anyone finding it offensive is ok to turn away and ignore it, those who don't find it offensive shouldn't have to.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 9:21]

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:21 - Jun 30 with 1060 viewsNthQldITFC

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 08:52 - Jun 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

And I liked it.

Can someone DM it to me? I feel like I've missed out.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:23 - Jun 30 with 1050 viewsDanTheMan

Do we now live in a post joke world? on 09:20 - Jun 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

I disagree re the Gervais joke. I think its about the ridiculousness of being forced to focus on pronouns in priority over physical anatomy, particularly when it involves the rights of women, and it is openly mocking that idea.

But like I said, its subjective isn't it? And it offends you, but that doesn't mean anyone else has to share that offence. Anyone finding it offensive is ok to turn away and ignore it, those who don't find it offensive shouldn't have to.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 9:21]

It is subjective yes, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the joke. It just sits wrongly from me. I'm not overly offended by it, I just don't think it's funny honestly.

That said, your second part brings me back to my original point. Why shouldn't I be able to joke about how many Jews died in the Holocaust? After all, if it offends you, you can just ignore it. Neo-Nazis might find it the height of comedy.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024