Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you are a Union member 17:51 - Jun 30 with 2972 viewschicoazul

and were balloted on a General Strike on the weekend of the August bank holiday, would you vote for it? Not to get into the weeds too much about the whys and wherefores.
If you are not a member of a union would you support such an action? Maybe just as simple as beeping picketers when you drive past them?
A lot of BT have just voted for strike action btw which prompted this question.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you are a Union member on 18:06 - Jun 30 with 1576 viewsBloomBlue

August Bank holiday, we're at home on that Sat aren't we? That would cause me issues getting to PR.

When I see striking union members I normally give them a little wave.
If you are a Union member on 18:10 - Jun 30 with 1555 viewsBlueBadger

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? by BlueBadger 26 Jun 2022 17:28
The spin will be that there was a pay rise three years ago. It wasn't. It was merely a lower real-terms cut than previously.

Personally, if one is called I'll be on the lines if I'm not scheduled to be working joining my colleagues during my breaks if I am(and DEFINITELY taking my allocated breaks) and working strictly to rule if on shift - I can't honestly justify to myself leaving our service uncovered, so that's my plan.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If you are a Union member on 18:17 - Jun 30 with 1544 viewstextbackup

why does the date matter?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If you are a Union member on 18:26 - Jun 30 with 1523 viewsMullet

Of course, but your question is a bit flawed because in my industry it'd have precisely zero effect and be a bit odd.

However, in some industries that'd be hugely noticeable and effective.

Plus a ballot to strike would indicate that any talks which had happened (if at all) had broken down and this was a last resort.

On the flipside if none of those things had happened, the union had acted in bad faith outside of the policies/law then "no". But you'd need pretty exact proof of that.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

If you are a Union member on 18:30 - Jun 30 with 1501 viewsJ2BLUE

It would make zero sense for me to strike but I 100% support anyone striking. We need change. Hopefully this is the beginning of something bigger.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If you are a Union member on 18:32 - Jun 30 with 1476 viewsjaykay

expect all the tories who were up in arms about P.O workers treatment will be backing the strike. a general strike will be about pay and conditions

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

If you are a Union member on 18:33 - Jun 30 with 1473 viewsgtsb1966

I would support a strike 100%. I could probably tolerate high fuel prices, food prices and inflation because of covid and the war if the people of this country hadn't been shafted , cheated, lied too and treated with utter contempt....but they have so time for the people to fight back.
If you are a Union member on 18:45 - Jun 30 with 1414 viewsEwan_Oozami

This is regarding the CWU's recent ballot, in which most of the people who voted were Openreach, not BT...and of those BT and EE people who were eligible to vote, they make up about 15% of the total number of BT employees (numbers eligible to vote in Openreach was about 80% of the total employees)

So to say "A lot of BT" is incorrect.....
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 18:46]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

If you are a Union member on 18:50 - Jun 30 with 1377 viewsfabian_illness

My Mrs is a union member and with talk of strikes in the aviation industry being lined up for the school holidays, we often chat about it.
She likes the backup membership gives her with employment issues etc but would never down tools and strike.
If you are a Union member on 18:52 - Jun 30 with 1364 viewschicoazul

If you are a Union member on 18:45 - Jun 30 by Ewan_Oozami

This is regarding the CWU's recent ballot, in which most of the people who voted were Openreach, not BT...and of those BT and EE people who were eligible to vote, they make up about 15% of the total number of BT employees (numbers eligible to vote in Openreach was about 80% of the total employees)

Do you know how many people in BT and the other associates you mention are in a union?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

If you are a Union member on 18:53 - Jun 30 with 1358 viewsEwan_Oozami

If you are a Union member on 18:52 - Jun 30 by chicoazul

Do you know how many people in BT and the other associates you mention are in a union?

Yes

If you are a Union member on 18:57 - Jun 30 with 1340 viewsChurchman

I was a Union member (PCS) and still keep associate membership for a couple of pounds a month. I’ve never broken a strike, even if I’ve not agreed with the action. I expected the Union to be there for me if I had a problem and supported it’s actions in return. So yes, I’d support the action.

I suspect some will feel this is a rather bone headed simple view. Fine - it’s just how I feel.

I’ve worked for non-unionised employers and one with a weak half way house staff association. I also have a basic knowledge of the history of trade unions and did a study on the steelworkers/miners strikes of the 80s as part of my degree. I like to think I know the value of them.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 13:40]
If you are a Union member on 18:58 - Jun 30 with 1335 viewsSwansea_Blue

If you are a Union member on 18:30 - Jun 30 by J2BLUE

It would make zero sense for me to strike but I 100% support anyone striking. We need change. Hopefully this is the beginning of something bigger.

We seem to be heading for something bigger as new industries are declaring strike action or consulting members seemingly every day. Whether there are too many self employed now to have a really impactful general strike I’m not sure. Sh*t seems to be going down though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If you are a Union member on 18:59 - Jun 30 with 1330 viewschicoazul

If you are a Union member on 18:53 - Jun 30 by Ewan_Oozami

Yes

And was it many of them who voted to strike?

If you are a Union member on 19:03 - Jun 30 with 1312 viewsyesjohn99

Union member. Fully support.
If you are a Union member on 19:03 - Jun 30 with 1309 viewschicoazul

If you are a Union member on 18:26 - Jun 30 by Mullet

Of course, but your question is a bit flawed because in my industry it'd have precisely zero effect and be a bit odd.

However, in some industries that'd be hugely noticeable and effective.

Plus a ballot to strike would indicate that any talks which had happened (if at all) had broken down and this was a last resort.

On the flipside if none of those things had happened, the union had acted in bad faith outside of the policies/law then "no". But you'd need pretty exact proof of that.

Many private schools offer summer schools. Many normal schools offer summer schooling and support. Many teachers do tuition over summer.

If you are a Union member on 19:08 - Jun 30 with 1276 viewsEwan_Oozami

If you are a Union member on 18:59 - Jun 30 by chicoazul

And was it many of them who voted to strike?

In the BT CWU employees ballot, there were 10353 eligible to vote, the turnout was 6022 (58.2%), those supporting action 5503 (91.5% of those who voted, 53% of those eligible to vote)

If you include the EE part of CWU, there were just over 2000 eligible to vote, but as the turnout did not reach the 50% threshold, any votes in that ballot cannot be counted legally in support of industrial action - just for the record 96% of those who did vote (even though the total didn't reach the 50% threshhold) supported industrial action

If you are a Union member on 19:09 - Jun 30 with 1273 viewsMullet

If you are a Union member on 19:03 - Jun 30 by chicoazul

Many private schools offer summer schools. Many normal schools offer summer schooling and support. Many teachers do tuition over summer.

Not as part of STPCD especially on a bank holiday, so it'd be an entirely issue unless the strike was over being made to do that outside of the 1265hrs etc. But I've never come across that.

You'd be paid directly for the summer school outside of your contract etc.

If you are a Union member on 19:18 - Jun 30 with 1228 viewschicoazul

If you are a Union member on 19:08 - Jun 30 by Ewan_Oozami

In the BT CWU employees ballot, there were 10353 eligible to vote, the turnout was 6022 (58.2%), those supporting action 5503 (91.5% of those who voted, 53% of those eligible to vote)

If you include the EE part of CWU, there were just over 2000 eligible to vote, but as the turnout did not reach the 50% threshold, any votes in that ballot cannot be counted legally in support of industrial action - just for the record 96% of those who did vote (even though the total didn't reach the 50% threshhold) supported industrial action

Interesting thanks.

If you are a Union member on 19:19 - Jun 30 with 1217 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

If the strikes do indeed go ahead they will be the first national strikes at BT by CWU members for 35 years.

35 years.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

If you are a Union member on 19:19 - Jun 30 with 1215 viewschicoazul

If you are a Union member on 19:09 - Jun 30 by Mullet

Not as part of STPCD especially on a bank holiday, so it'd be an entirely issue unless the strike was over being made to do that outside of the 1265hrs etc. But I've never come across that.

You'd be paid directly for the summer school outside of your contract etc.

Of course but the point stands. Would you still do for eg tuition under the circumstances I described?

If you are a Union member on 19:24 - Jun 30 with 1190 viewsMullet

If you are a Union member on 19:19 - Jun 30 by chicoazul

Of course but the point stands. Would you still do for eg tuition under the circumstances I described?

No, it wouldn't really make any sense. Only a term time strike is effective or worth considering.

I used to be against striking due to the demographic I teach and their need to be in school, but this government has pushed way beyond the line.

FWIW expect teacher strikes in November or so if current trajectory isn't changed.

If you are a Union member on 19:26 - Jun 30 with 1183 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Of course not, striking inconveniences people and thus is very, very bad. Somebody might miss an appointment or something so it's a no from me.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

If you are a Union member on 19:31 - Jun 30 with 1156 viewsEwan_Oozami

If you are a Union member on 19:19 - Jun 30 by You_Bloo_Right

If the strikes do indeed go ahead they will be the first national strikes at BT by CWU members for 35 years.

35 years.

Given the way some of the engineers Openreach and BT have been treated these past 3 years I don't blame them....

If you are a Union member on 19:42 - Jun 30 with 1113 viewstextbackup

If you are a Union member on 18:45 - Jun 30 by Ewan_Oozami

EE failed to meet the voting threshold by only 8 votes, likely because they are the lower paid, and are seen to have got an 8% payrise with the £1500 payment.

BT had a very decent turn out.

Openreach obviously had the lions share i admit.

I'd say its an overall great turnout and a massive FO to the CEO giving himself a 32% payrise
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 19:45]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024