Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Realistically. 09:26 - Nov 3 with 3437 viewsCheltenham_Blue

How much do you think GC20 will need to spend in the summer if we go up?
I would imagine if we are still there or there abouts in January, some of that work will be done then, but I can still see our transfer record going more than once over the summer.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Realistically. on 09:30 - Nov 3 with 2873 viewsKieran_Knows

I think we'd spend good money, but it would be a 'measured' approach rather than splashing cash left, right and centre (ala Forest, albeit they stayed up).

I would imagine we would break our transfer record more than once, if that was to happen.

I imagine the turnover would be quite big, but they'd still prioritise getting the right players in to fit with the current ethos, rather than signing players for big money/big wages and not quite fit what they're trying to do/build.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Realistically. on 09:32 - Nov 3 with 2869 viewsblueasfook

We didnt spend a huge amount when we went up last time. We pretty much stuck (initially) with the squad we'd had in the Championship. I think we brought Hermann in if i recall and John Scales who was pretty much crocked and at the end of his career.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Realistically. on 09:36 - Nov 3 with 2858 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Realistically. on 09:32 - Nov 3 by blueasfook

We didnt spend a huge amount when we went up last time. We pretty much stuck (initially) with the squad we'd had in the Championship. I think we brought Hermann in if i recall and John Scales who was pretty much crocked and at the end of his career.

Premier League has changed a hell of a lot in nearly 25 years, as have we.
I don’t think you can compare the two

Realistically. on 09:39 - Nov 3 with 2827 viewsGuthrum

What is our record transfer fee paid? Don't think it's all that high (even by modern Championship standards).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Realistically. on 09:42 - Nov 3 with 2800 viewsHighgateBlue

It will be very interesting to see what approach is taken. There aren't too many teams who compete in the Premier League whilst pretty much exclusively recruiting domestically. I would expect the international side of recruitment to ramp up massively, possibly with the ground work for that being laid before the season ends, if we're still up there.

I agree about January. The championship level players that we brought in in January last season were crucial, and remain so. Harder to recruit Premier League level players in the championship though, granted.
Realistically. on 09:47 - Nov 3 with 2767 viewstivo

PSRPS will need to take some out of the club as well.
Realistically. on 09:47 - Nov 3 with 2768 viewscharlie1

Much less than the £135 million DeLoitte estimate as the minimum reward of promotion.

It’s staggering to think that sort of money hasn’t made good teams like Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton even remotely competitive.

But perhaps that’s not the plan.
Take that money back down with you and continue to build.
Realistically. on 09:47 - Nov 3 with 2763 viewswkj

It's hard to put a figure on it, but you would imagine the scouting would be thorough. Anyone in the championship with a lick of sense will look at Brighton and how they have established themselves in the league and kept building and building all whilst knowing when it is the right time to sell an important player for the right money.

I suspect Ipswich has a plan in place that is very much inspired by Brighton.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Realistically. on 09:50 - Nov 3 with 2750 viewsITFC_Forever

Realistically. on 09:39 - Nov 3 by Guthrum

What is our record transfer fee paid? Don't think it's all that high (even by modern Championship standards).

Sereni £4.75m
Herman £4.5m

So no, pretty low by Champ standards, never mind Prem standards where £20m gets you someone who is ok, but nothing special.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Realistically. on 09:51 - Nov 3 with 2737 viewscatch74

Realistically. on 09:42 - Nov 3 by HighgateBlue

It will be very interesting to see what approach is taken. There aren't too many teams who compete in the Premier League whilst pretty much exclusively recruiting domestically. I would expect the international side of recruitment to ramp up massively, possibly with the ground work for that being laid before the season ends, if we're still up there.

I agree about January. The championship level players that we brought in in January last season were crucial, and remain so. Harder to recruit Premier League level players in the championship though, granted.

It’s funny you should say that, I’ve just taken a look at Brighton’s approach in 17/18 and 18/19. They bought maybe 3 players each of those seasons over £10m. It looks like every penny was spent on overseas players. They didn’t quite set the PL alight initially - Hughton sacked at the end of their second season.
Reading a 4-4-2 article about them, there was a clear focus on the stadium and training facilities foremost - then players. Sounds like we’re following their progression. Hopefully this continues.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Realistically. on 10:04 - Nov 3 with 2672 viewsGuthrum

Realistically. on 09:50 - Nov 3 by ITFC_Forever

Sereni £4.75m
Herman £4.5m

So no, pretty low by Champ standards, never mind Prem standards where £20m gets you someone who is ok, but nothing special.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll have to break that. Tho I wouldn't put it past Ashton and co. to get some decent players in for well under the average (contrast Hirst and Simms).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Realistically. on 10:06 - Nov 3 with 2654 viewsBseaBlue

To be honest, I wouldn't be arsed if we hardly spent and bring in a few additions which would be top end champ players. Take the approach of collect the money, use it to invest in the ground and the infastructure and become a Sheffield united/Burnley team with improvements each year.

I think the owners will definitely be more ambitious than me though!
Realistically. on 10:11 - Nov 3 with 2623 viewsPinewoodblue

Realistically. on 09:32 - Nov 3 by blueasfook

The team that was prompted last time had been strengthened over a number of years.

The Fulham game showed that we need to strengthen the squad, if we gain promotion, apart from loan players our regular starting eleven will all be in next seasons squad.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Realistically. on 10:22 - Nov 3 with 2562 viewsOldFart71

Whilst Wednesday's game against Fulham can't be deemed as showing totally our inefficiencies because most were back up players it does show our need to step up considerably to be a Premier League side. Therefore I believe there would be quite a few ins and quite a few outs. One really bright part of the Fulham game was Baggott. He's surely a future star and one I can see being in our first 11 sooner than later.
Realistically. on 10:34 - Nov 3 with 2514 viewsMookamoo

Would be interesting if they were prepared to let anyone go in order to keep net spend lower.

Could see Davis, Broadhead and Woolfenden attracting interest from those middling PL teams - the Fulham/Palace/West Hams
Realistically. on 10:40 - Nov 3 with 2487 viewsMK1

Smart buying will see us spend somewhere between £20 & £30million. Maybe 6-9 signings, but nothing ridiculous. Think we will only spend £5million+ if somebody young with resale value becomes available. See us starting to prepare in January with maybe towards £2-3 million spent if FFP allows. Don't see us throwing silly money at it. A much more measured approach is what's needed and I am sure those that are in control of such things already know this.
Realistically. on 10:46 - Nov 3 with 2475 viewsportmanroadblue

Realistically. on 10:22 - Nov 3 by OldFart71

Whilst Wednesday's game against Fulham can't be deemed as showing totally our inefficiencies because most were back up players it does show our need to step up considerably to be a Premier League side. Therefore I believe there would be quite a few ins and quite a few outs. One really bright part of the Fulham game was Baggott. He's surely a future star and one I can see being in our first 11 sooner than later.

I also thought, Humphreys looked good when he came on.
Realistically. on 11:10 - Nov 3 with 2399 viewsbluelagos

It's November and the xmas decorations are still a month away from being dug out the loft...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Realistically. on 11:23 - Nov 3 with 2355 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Realistically. on 10:06 - Nov 3 by BseaBlue

To be honest, I wouldn't be arsed if we hardly spent and bring in a few additions which would be top end champ players. Take the approach of collect the money, use it to invest in the ground and the infastructure and become a Sheffield united/Burnley team with improvements each year.

I think the owners will definitely be more ambitious than me though!

I’d like to see us give it a good go (staying up) and I’m sure the owners have a loftier ambition than being a yo-yo club!

Someone else suggested the other day being a yo-yo club is about the best we can hope for. I disagree, we have a larger support base than Brentford, Fulham, Brighton, and Palace to name a few. We’ve got an entire county and surrounds to tap into. We were selling out for the last few months of being in the third division- I’m not sure any of the aforementioned clubs could do that (indeed I’ve not been to Fulham for a few years but even in the Prem had an allocated neutral section, which in practice was all away fans, just to fill the ground).
Realistically. on 11:27 - Nov 3 with 2330 viewsbackwaywhen

Let’s get promoted first shall we. …..
Realistically. on 12:50 - Nov 3 with 2173 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I think we should be sensible, keep a core of the decent players we have and prospects, such as Wolfenden, Baggott, Davis, Williams (if signed), Burns, Broadhead, Humphreys, Hirst and Chaplin and bring in some upper Championship/Lower Premiership quality players to replace the rest who are either going to be a bit too old or frankly not good enough for that league.
Realistically. on 13:04 - Nov 3 with 2113 views_clive_baker_

I think it would need to be a balance, wherever we invest sizable fees it'll likely be on younger (<25) players who we think can improve, while still adding value in the here and now. 3 of that ilk that we think can compete in the Premier League has to be in the region of £20m. Even that might be wildly optimistic, as young players who can play at that level don't tend to change hands cheaply. Philogene is probably a good example of a player that was out of reach this summer, but at £5m would probably be one we would've been in a position to bring in if we were in the PL.

And perhaps some chunky wages on a couple older, more experienced ones on a free. If you can get a couple of those in on 1-2 year deals you know you're well covered by way of parachute money if you do go down. A bit of short termism on those can be sensible to give us the best shot at staying up.

Like what Luton have tried to do with Ross Barkley and Andros Townsend, I dare say they're on decent money but potentially big players if they can find themselves and their fitness. They've invested the transfer fees in younger players like Anderson and Chong, I just don't think they've gone far enough or good enough with that. I think we would show a bit more ambition given the chance.
Realistically. on 13:06 - Nov 3 with 2098 views_clive_baker_

Realistically. on 09:50 - Nov 3 by ITFC_Forever

Sereni £4.75m
Herman £4.5m

Although our transfer record / Premier League spending was over 20 years ago. That's probably the best part of £10m each in todays money.
Realistically. on 13:41 - Nov 3 with 1979 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Realistically. on 11:27 - Nov 3 by backwaywhen

Let’s get promoted first shall we. …..

You don’t think we will be then, eventually?
If this board isn’t the place for idle speculation, I don’t know where is.

Realistically. on 14:33 - Nov 3 with 1879 viewscressi

Realistically. on 13:41 - Nov 3 by Cheltenham_Blue

You don’t think we will be then, eventually?
If this board isn’t the place for idle speculation, I don’t know where is.

Think as last January we will bring in 3 or 4 this January who the club think may able to step up if promotion is achieved.
Think how much in the summer is a guessing game I'd say like previous post 20 to 30 million plus at least a couple of quality loans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024