Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 points from those 2 away games is huge 07:42 - Dec 13 with 1491 viewsDubtractor

Almost all of us viewed those 2 games as possibly the toughest 2 game 'run' of the season so far, we'd have all been delighted with 4 points, and not disappointed with 3, but to get all 6 is an incredible effort. And following on from 3 less impressive away performances its good to get back into the swing of things.

I know McKenna suggests we don't really play too differently away, but we are clearly a slightly more cagey proposition away from PR, and don't allow teams too much space in the final third. And it clearly works!
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 7:46]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 07:49 - Dec 13 with 1414 viewstonybied

Indeed.

The best thing about the last couple of results (and last night's Leeds results) is it massively eases the pressure on us for the next 3 games. We know we could lose all 3 and still couldn't be caught by Leeds, not that I think we will!
6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 07:59 - Dec 13 with 1330 viewsHerbivore

Two quite different games and different performances and a quite significantly changed line up for last night as well, which shows we have good depth and a lot about us to go to two really tough places and find ways to win both games. It sends out a huge statement.

Psychologically I think last night could be massive as well. I suspect some of our rivals would have earmarked Boro and Watford away as a two game sequence where we would probably drop points. For Leeds, they've been on a pretty incredible run themselves and the first blip they've hit in a while sees them now sat 10 points adrift of us with us having ticked off two of our tougher remaining fixtures. That's got to land a blow to them mentally and you wonder if a few of their players might start having half an eye on getting back to the Prem in January if they can. It'll certainly be getting harder for them to maintain their view that it's inevitable they'll catch us and we'll falter at some point in light of these last couple of games.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:01 - Dec 13 with 1307 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I had us down to get three points from those two, so they are massive results.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:03 - Dec 13 with 1292 viewsHerbivore

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:01 - Dec 13 by Cheltenham_Blue

I had us down to get three points from those two, so they are massive results.

2 or 3 from these two games wouldn't have been a bad return by any stretch. To take 6 points is superb. We all looked at December earlier in the season and felt it would be a really hard month, to have picked up 9 points from our first 3 games this month is huge.

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 07:52 - Dec 14 with 1065 viewsDubtractor

Just revisiting this, rather than start a new thread, but as well as our 6 points we've put a further 4 points between us and Southampton, and another 3 points on Leeds.

An absolutely huge few days, which could very easily have gone the other way.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:09 - Dec 14 with 973 viewsMetal_Hacker

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 07:52 - Dec 14 by Dubtractor

Just revisiting this, rather than start a new thread, but as well as our 6 points we've put a further 4 points between us and Southampton, and another 3 points on Leeds.

An absolutely huge few days, which could very easily have gone the other way.

When we beat that lot Saturday and if we can avoid defeats against both Leeds and Leicester , it’s even bigger

We can but dream

Poll: If it were one or the other

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:24 - Dec 14 with 916 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’d have taken a point at Watford after winning at Boro. But I thought did give Watford a lot of space in the final third. Especially in the second half. They had a lot of joy on the flanks, especially down our right, regardless of whether it was Williams or Clarke defending. And they put in more crosses into our box than any team I’ve season this season. And at least three of those whipped into our six yard box could have been goals if the Watford strikers were better.

We didn’t give them any space through the middle though so maybe the tactic was to limit them to crosses from wide areas which we felt confident to deal with.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 8:25]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:26 - Dec 14 with 897 viewsstickymockwell

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:09 - Dec 14 by Metal_Hacker

When we beat that lot Saturday and if we can avoid defeats against both Leeds and Leicester , it’s even bigger

We can but dream

Also if we can muster something against Leeds then it's the added bonus of already playing them twice. No 6 Pointer at the end of April that would shread the nerves

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Login to get fewer ads

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:28 - Dec 14 with 882 viewsGlasgowBlue

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:09 - Dec 14 by Metal_Hacker

We can but dream

An ideal scenario would be to come out of the Leicester and Leeds games with the same 10 point gap.

That’s assuming that Leicester don’t win when we draw at Leeds and Leeds don’t win when we draw with !Leicester.

I think we are good enough to beat Leicester at home though.

Iron Lion Zion

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:39 - Dec 14 with 847 viewsCaptainAhab

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:28 - Dec 14 by GlasgowBlue

An ideal scenario would be to come out of the Leicester and Leeds games with the same 10 point gap.

That’s assuming that Leicester don’t win when we draw at Leeds and Leeds don’t win when we draw with !Leicester.

I think we are good enough to beat Leicester at home though.

An ideal scenario would be to win em all and have a 19 point gap surely?!
But yeah I'd take the 10 point gap
6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:51 - Dec 14 with 804 viewsChurchman

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:03 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

2 or 3 from these two games wouldn't have been a bad return by any stretch. To take 6 points is superb. We all looked at December earlier in the season and felt it would be a really hard month, to have picked up 9 points from our first 3 games this month is huge.

2 or 3 points would have been an excellent return especially following the 2 home wins. To pick up 12 points following the West Brom loss, along with the differing ways they’ve been achieved, is a real eye opener for our entitled rivals and a real confidence boost for our players.

I agree that the two away games were huge, but the Millwall and Coventry home games were just as important for me. They reminded me a bit of a mini version of the four straight home games from mid Feb that really propelled us into last season’s astonishing run.

Game at a time and all that jazz, but the table doesn’t lie. 51 points after 21 games? That’s frankly absurd, though very well deserved.

I'm hoping our opponents still think on us as a flash in the pan, lucky, not played anyone yet, early season momentum, bubble about to burst until about April.
6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:53 - Dec 14 with 784 viewsHerbivore

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:24 - Dec 14 by GlasgowBlue

I’d have taken a point at Watford after winning at Boro. But I thought did give Watford a lot of space in the final third. Especially in the second half. They had a lot of joy on the flanks, especially down our right, regardless of whether it was Williams or Clarke defending. And they put in more crosses into our box than any team I’ve season this season. And at least three of those whipped into our six yard box could have been goals if the Watford strikers were better.

We didn’t give them any space through the middle though so maybe the tactic was to limit them to crosses from wide areas which we felt confident to deal with.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 8:25]

They were playing in the Prem 2 years ago and still have some very good players, they've also been in really good form of late. We aren't going to be able to completely shut sides like that down.

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:57 - Dec 14 with 771 viewsGlasgowBlue

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:53 - Dec 14 by Herbivore

They were playing in the Prem 2 years ago and still have some very good players, they've also been in really good form of late. We aren't going to be able to completely shut sides like that down.

I don’t disagree.

Iron Lion Zion

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 09:45 - Dec 14 with 655 viewsJon_456

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:51 - Dec 14 by Churchman

2 or 3 points would have been an excellent return especially following the 2 home wins. To pick up 12 points following the West Brom loss, along with the differing ways they’ve been achieved, is a real eye opener for our entitled rivals and a real confidence boost for our players.

I agree that the two away games were huge, but the Millwall and Coventry home games were just as important for me. They reminded me a bit of a mini version of the four straight home games from mid Feb that really propelled us into last season’s astonishing run.

Game at a time and all that jazz, but the table doesn’t lie. 51 points after 21 games? That’s frankly absurd, though very well deserved.

I'm hoping our opponents still think on us as a flash in the pan, lucky, not played anyone yet, early season momentum, bubble about to burst until about April.

It does feel a bit like last year but we’re Plymouth this time. Squad not as strong as others teams in the division and everyone calling us lucky / expecting us to drop off but we keep picking up results and look very consistent.
6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 10:15 - Dec 14 with 590 viewstextbackup

6 points from those 2 away games is huge on 08:03 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

Doing the hard work early doors (ie 9 points already) really eases any pressure, the plyers then play with freedom as opposed to any massive pressure to get that needed 3 points.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024