Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments 13:03 - Apr 1 with 6593 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

What's been everybody's favourite Mick Moment.

This can be quotes, team selections, substitutions, signings or anything you see as a bit of Mick gold.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:04 - Apr 1 with 3889 viewsITFC_Forever

1-0 win away at Watford in the PO season, Chaplow’s late winner.

By a mile.

Edit: if we’re talking a longer period of time, late Autumn 2014 which culminated in the away win at Brentford in Boxing Day.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2018 13:13]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:07 - Apr 1 with 3871 viewsMach_foreignBlue

December 2014.
Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:09 - Apr 1 with 3862 viewsLord_Lucan

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:07 - Apr 1 by Mach_foreignBlue

December 2014.

Was that when we played Brentford away on Boxing Day?

That's when we peaked - and it was a triffic day out.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:10 - Apr 1 with 3847 viewsReuser_is_God

The great run in late autumn/early winter in 2014.

For a one off match it has to be Watford away & Chaplow & scenes.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:11 - Apr 1 with 3845 viewsJ2BLUE

Seeing him casually sitting in the dugout grinning at Carrow Road before the game began and giving me real hope he had confidence we'd win and go to Wembley.

Such fine margins in the game. If Berra had headed it away rather than handballed it...who knows. Not trying to rewrite history, we lost, but it makes you think.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:12 - Apr 1 with 3837 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:09 - Apr 1 by Lord_Lucan

Was that when we played Brentford away on Boxing Day?

That's when we peaked - and it was a triffic day out.

Yes that was it. We peaked four days later in the shape of 3-0 win over Charlton. Gradually downwards ever since.
Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:13 - Apr 1 with 3829 viewsSomethingBlue

I remember very fondly those back-to-back games when we beat Brighton and Derby in March 2014 (Berra injury-time winner in the second, Williams' first two games). It felt, then, that the balance had shifted and we now had a truly competitive team that we could be proud of. And to a large degree that has been true in the time since.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:13 - Apr 1 with 3821 viewsFixed_It

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:11 - Apr 1 by J2BLUE

Seeing him casually sitting in the dugout grinning at Carrow Road before the game began and giving me real hope he had confidence we'd win and go to Wembley.

Such fine margins in the game. If Berra had headed it away rather than handballed it...who knows. Not trying to rewrite history, we lost, but it makes you think.

Yep. They were on the ropes first half, and their fans knew it. Damn!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:14 - Apr 1 with 3813 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:13 - Apr 1 by SomethingBlue

I remember very fondly those back-to-back games when we beat Brighton and Derby in March 2014 (Berra injury-time winner in the second, Williams' first two games). It felt, then, that the balance had shifted and we now had a truly competitive team that we could be proud of. And to a large degree that has been true in the time since.

Yeah that was a great couple of days for Town.

That Brighton game is the blueprint for winning away.

Evans out

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:16 - Apr 1 with 3792 viewsLord_Lucan

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:12 - Apr 1 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yes that was it. We peaked four days later in the shape of 3-0 win over Charlton. Gradually downwards ever since.

Things were really clicking but in hindsight it was borrowed time. If you take away Murphys goals that season we would have been near the bottom.

It was exciting though. I don't blame ME for not splashing millions, it's up to him how much money he is prepared to lose every year but that was the time he should have splashed £5m.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:18 - Apr 1 with 3784 viewsSomethingBlue

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:14 - Apr 1 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah that was a great couple of days for Town.

That Brighton game is the blueprint for winning away.

I remember coming back to London from Brighton in the middle of the evening, already pretty hammered, and heading to my other half's birthday bash in Dalston. Night ended running up the road belting out "Number one is Tommy Smith ... " probably looking like the biggest weirdo on Kingsland Road, which is some achievement.

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:20 - Apr 1 with 3773 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:16 - Apr 1 by Lord_Lucan

Things were really clicking but in hindsight it was borrowed time. If you take away Murphys goals that season we would have been near the bottom.

It was exciting though. I don't blame ME for not splashing millions, it's up to him how much money he is prepared to lose every year but that was the time he should have splashed £5m.

Marcus Stewart type of signing would have given us realistic chance to get us out of this horrible, poxy league.

I was at Portman Road that month too when we beat Leeds 4-1 and looked like an exhibition football at times.
Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:21 - Apr 1 with 3765 viewsgrimboy

His leaving in May is good enough for me sooner if possible.
Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:22 - Apr 1 with 3752 viewsSomethingBlue

Another: the 2-1 over Wolves at home in 2014-15. It was 2-1 going on 6-1, Murphy and Hunt were running around at an astonishing tempo and we just ripped into them throughout, probably one of the best performances under Mick even if the margin was narrow.

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:23 - Apr 1 with 3738 viewsFixed_It

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:21 - Apr 1 by grimboy

His leaving in May is good enough for me sooner if possible.

You really are a miserable old bvgger aren't you!

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:24 - Apr 1 with 3732 viewsHerbivore

Individual moment for me has to be Chaplow at Watford. That really was scenes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:27 - Apr 1 with 3705 viewsLord_Lucan

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:22 - Apr 1 by SomethingBlue

Another: the 2-1 over Wolves at home in 2014-15. It was 2-1 going on 6-1, Murphy and Hunt were running around at an astonishing tempo and we just ripped into them throughout, probably one of the best performances under Mick even if the margin was narrow.

I think Hunt is the sort of player we are missing right now.

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:29 - Apr 1 with 3687 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:18 - Apr 1 by SomethingBlue

I remember coming back to London from Brighton in the middle of the evening, already pretty hammered, and heading to my other half's birthday bash in Dalston. Night ended running up the road belting out "Number one is Tommy Smith ... " probably looking like the biggest weirdo on Kingsland Road, which is some achievement.

The 2 games in question we also had Wordsworth playing centre mid with Hyam.

Evans out

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:29 - Apr 1 with 3687 viewsSomethingBlue

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:27 - Apr 1 by Lord_Lucan

I think Hunt is the sort of player we are missing right now.

Yes, I think his influence on Mick's Ipswich gets overlooked but was huge — he was the type who could really drag others forward with him, regardless of how well he was actually playing, if that makes sense. He added discernible personality to the team.

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:30 - Apr 1 with 3675 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:22 - Apr 1 by SomethingBlue

Wigan away a month or so before that was similar too. A 2-1 thrashing.

Watford 1-0 at home another - was just a brilliant game of football that one. A superb advert for the championship.

Evans out

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:31 - Apr 1 with 3675 viewsDennyx4

The Brentford Away win on Boxing day was the peak - really thought we were going to make automatic promotion, having just beaten Middlesbrough with a Tabb header too.

Watford has been mentioned, but also Noel Hunt's 95th minute winner at The Valley was pretty good too. - those memories were all in a space of 3 months or so.
Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:35 - Apr 1 with 3651 viewsFixed_It

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:29 - Apr 1 by SomethingBlue

Yes, I think his influence on Mick's Ipswich gets overlooked but was huge — he was the type who could really drag others forward with him, regardless of how well he was actually playing, if that makes sense. He added discernible personality to the team.

Absolutely.
Having said that he had a shocker up at Blackburn in the last game of the season.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:37 - Apr 1 with 3636 viewsFixed_It

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:29 - Apr 1 by Reuser_is_God

The 2 games in question we also had Wordsworth playing centre mid with Hyam.

Anthony Wordsworth. Had forgotten all about him.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:39 - Apr 1 with 3631 viewsLord_Lucan

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:29 - Apr 1 by SomethingBlue

He was the sort of player that could but his foot on the ball and also play a decent pass.

Even when he was playing poorly he always wanted to be involved and I think he was a bit of character that other players could look up to.

And I liked his hair.

Mick McCarthys best Ipswich moments on 13:48 - Apr 1 with 3588 viewsfactual_blue

When he accurately described a section of the fans as 'numbskulls'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024