Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday with toddler... 13:43 - Mar 7 with 8011 viewsitfcjoe

Any suggestions?

Boy will be 20 months or so in June and we want to get away somewhere for 2 weeks. Not sure whether best to go to an all inclusive resort, or a villa somewhere self catered.

Want to go abroad, had 3 separate weeks away in UK last year and weather was cr*p for all of them so can't be dealing with that again.

Recommendations that have worked for people will be greatly received, have had a couple in Costa del Sol we are looking into further.

Note - going to Cyprus for a week soon, so ideally not back to Cyprus

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Holiday with toddler... on 13:48 - Mar 7 with 4814 viewsBluefish

I always found all inclusive easy with them at that age. The meal times become a bit disjointed as one of you sits with them but we always worked it. When they got older it was them better to go out to restaurants but as toddlers it is could to be relaxed.

We took all of ours away every year from when they they were born. In some ways it is a lot easier at that age because they can nap in the day while you sun bathe and they can sleep in a pram in the evening. Get a small pool and put it in the shade on the beach with some water in it.

It really is the best age

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Holiday with toddler... on 13:50 - Mar 7 with 4811 viewshype313

Hi Joe, we have booked here and we have a 3 year old and a 6 month old, been before and it's brilliant,and very good value for money.

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/europe/turkey/turkey-bodrum/akyarlar/hotels/b

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Holiday with toddler... on 13:53 - Mar 7 with 4799 viewsitfcjoe

Holiday with toddler... on 13:50 - Mar 7 by hype313

Hi Joe, we have booked here and we have a 3 year old and a 6 month old, been before and it's brilliant,and very good value for money.

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/europe/turkey/turkey-bodrum/akyarlar/hotels/b

That looks really cheap, my Mrs is worried about Turkey at the moment so may not work but I'll try and talk her round because it's hardly like going to the Asian side of Istanbul.

Silly question - but how does it work with rooms? All in one big room, or is there any option of a room with separate lounge or similar and bedroom?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Holiday with toddler... on 13:55 - Mar 7 with 4788 viewsSwansea_Blue

Small villa in Majorca? North side is lovely and less touristy than the resorts. Corsica's lovely too. But the World's your oyster.

It's an easy age to travel, bar the paraphernalia with a buggy. At that age he's portable so you're not as restricted as when they get a bit older, can't be carried easily, but won't walk far either. We did loads when ours were younger, from Greenland & Iceland to Japan, Scandinavia, most of central & western Europe, Med coasts and islands.

This may not be a lot of help and I suspect you've already worked it out, but the we found the biggest issue to was evenings. Somewhere where you have to eat out can often be more hassle than it's worth, especially in places like the southern Europe where restaurants tend to open later. And then the nipper gets tired and starts playing up in the restaurant.... So for us, self catering or camping were far less stressful. That would be my one tip - somewhere where you can be self-sufficient at a time that suits you (big resorts/hotels may tick this box too, but depends on the place).

But other than that, it depends what you like to do. You can push them round cities, carry them up mountains,
let them roll about on beaches....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Holiday with toddler... on 13:58 - Mar 7 with 4774 viewsLesta_Tractor

You can't beat a villa with a pool in Tuscany for me..

Great food and not many English tourists!

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Holiday with toddler... on 14:06 - Mar 7 with 4748 viewsfloridablue

I might be a little biased here, but Disney Orlando area Florida. I see so many families with toddlers in strollers/pushchairs. Some good deals in their 'cheaper' resorts. I had a vacation here in the late 80s and my youngest was 3 at the time.
Holiday with toddler... on 14:13 - Mar 7 with 4731 viewsFixed_It

Holiday with toddler... on 14:06 - Mar 7 by floridablue

I might be a little biased here, but Disney Orlando area Florida. I see so many families with toddlers in strollers/pushchairs. Some good deals in their 'cheaper' resorts. I had a vacation here in the late 80s and my youngest was 3 at the time.

Agree to an extent - but I think 20 months is a bit too young to really appreciate the experience fully - and for the cost you would want it to tick that box. Also, when we first went (have been several times) my daughter was just under 5 and the heat wiped her out - so best to avoid the most humid months.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Holiday with toddler... on 14:15 - Mar 7 with 4716 viewsBluefish

Holiday with toddler... on 14:06 - Mar 7 by floridablue

I am a huge fan of Florida but didn't take mine until my youngest was 3. It was largely wasted on het though. We are going back this year when she will be 6

If you do look at it I can highly recommend Bahama bay

Login to get fewer ads

Holiday with toddler... on 14:18 - Mar 7 with 4698 viewsIllinoisblue

Holiday with toddler... on 14:13 - Mar 7 by Fixed_It

Agree to an extent - but I think 20 months is a bit too young to really appreciate the experience fully - and for the cost you would want it to tick that box. Also, when we first went (have been several times) my daughter was just under 5 and the heat wiped her out - so best to avoid the most humid months.

agree 20 months is too young; they won't remember it. We went in November so not as hot as summer, and our kids were 8 and 6 at the time so they could go on a lot of the rides.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Holiday with toddler... on 14:21 - Mar 7 with 4684 viewsLeighOnSeaBlue

Just got back from a week in Tenerife with our 2 year old.

Never liked the idea of all inclusive resorts but actually was really good having everything in

one place, so would defo do again

https://en.granoasisresort.com/
Holiday with toddler... on 14:21 - Mar 7 with 4681 viewscatch74

Maybe keep to a short flight - Majorca?
We’re giving Mitsis Rinella in Crete a go(all inclusive and on beach.)
I’d normally try something more adventurous but need to flake out for a week or two.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Holiday with toddler... on 14:22 - Mar 7 with 4680 viewsSwansea_Blue

Holiday with toddler... on 13:58 - Mar 7 by Lesta_Tractor

Agreed. We had a week in one in the mountains north of Lucca; it was fantastic. But then so is Umbria. And for the real old world Italy, the mountains to the west of Pescara are just superb.

Argh, so many places to see!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Holiday with toddler... on 14:23 - Mar 7 with 4670 viewsBluefish

Holiday with toddler... on 14:21 - Mar 7 by catch74

Maybe keep to a short flight - Majorca?
We’re giving Mitsis Rinella in Crete a go(all inclusive and on beach.)
I’d normally try something more adventurous but need to flake out for a week or two.

We stayed in mitsis a lot when mine were young. They were excellent for kids.

Holiday with toddler... on 14:24 - Mar 7 with 4670 viewsfactual_blue

Holiday with toddler... on 13:58 - Mar 7 by Lesta_Tractor

And it's never to early to introduce a child to the infinite pleasures of Italian Renaissance art.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Holiday with toddler... on 14:28 - Mar 7 with 4658 viewsLesta_Tractor

Holiday with toddler... on 14:24 - Mar 7 by factual_blue

And it's never to early to introduce a child to the infinite pleasures of Italian Renaissance art.

Who needs art when you have gelato?

Holiday with toddler... on 14:29 - Mar 7 with 4658 viewsjontysnut

depends if you want it to be 'your' holiday or the boy's. Some people moan about all inclusives but we've done a few with slightly older kids and it's been fine. Having said that I think I could only stand a week of it. A couple of years ago we stayed at Holiday World? on Costa del Sol and it was ok. Handy for the train to Malaga etc.
Holiday with toddler... on 14:30 - Mar 7 with 4647 viewsfloridablue

Yes, the best times to visit Florida is early Spring late Autumn to avoid the summer humidity. Bahama Bay is a couple of miles south of me and used to be British owned and a nice resort. Regal Palms also close by and very popular with the Brits.
Holiday with toddler... on 14:32 - Mar 7 with 4634 viewsfactual_blue

Holiday with toddler... on 14:28 - Mar 7 by Lesta_Tractor

I must admit I enjoyed a very nice double scoop tub of Belgian Chocolate and Dulce de Leche in Queenstown a couple of weeks ago.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Holiday with toddler... on 14:36 - Mar 7 with 4617 viewsFixed_It

Holiday with toddler... on 14:28 - Mar 7 by Lesta_Tractor

I mistakenly read that as a sexual act...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Holiday with toddler... on 14:37 - Mar 7 with 4614 viewsLesta_Tractor

Holiday with toddler... on 14:32 - Mar 7 by factual_blue

I must admit I enjoyed a very nice double scoop tub of Belgian Chocolate and Dulce de Leche in Queenstown a couple of weeks ago.

I came back from my last visit to Tuscany 1/2 a stone heavier, two gelatos a day probably helped with that achievement.

Holiday with toddler... on 15:08 - Mar 7 with 4564 viewsSWGF

We went to Sharm with a 2yr old. Flight was fine.

I'd say all inclusive is a must for kids that old.

(Appreciate you probably won't want to head to Sharm(!) but the flight duration was fine; that's what I meant)
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 15:09]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Holiday with toddler... on 15:15 - Mar 7 with 4545 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Depends exactly what you want, but we’re taking ours to New York for 10 nights in May for our honeymoon. He’ll be 6 months old so still not sure whether this a wise move or not - but have booked a hotel room with full kitchenette and theory being that he’s nice and portable to take around while we do stuff and see the sights etc. Did a weekend in Norfolk a couple of weeks back that has given us a dry run of making sure we’ve thought of everything we need

Obviously having him in tow will limit options for eating out so probably won’t be the fine dining I would have otherwise hoped for from my honeymoon - but the hotel does also have a childminding service so I’m sure we’ll treat ourselves one night at least, and it’s not like it’s going to be short of other options where we can take a pram in (hello dirty burgers)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Holiday with toddler... on 15:20 - Mar 7 with 4525 viewsReuser_is_God

Holiday with toddler... on 15:15 - Mar 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Depends exactly what you want, but we’re taking ours to New York for 10 nights in May for our honeymoon. He’ll be 6 months old so still not sure whether this a wise move or not - but have booked a hotel room with full kitchenette and theory being that he’s nice and portable to take around while we do stuff and see the sights etc. Did a weekend in Norfolk a couple of weeks back that has given us a dry run of making sure we’ve thought of everything we need

Obviously having him in tow will limit options for eating out so probably won’t be the fine dining I would have otherwise hoped for from my honeymoon - but the hotel does also have a childminding service so I’m sure we’ll treat ourselves one night at least, and it’s not like it’s going to be short of other options where we can take a pram in (hello dirty burgers)

Christ I couldn’t imagine NY with a 6 month old!

Ours is 10 months & we’re yet to go away which is a shame but we’ve just not been able to afford it unfortunately.

Will look to get somewhere in the UK around autumn time though.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Holiday with toddler... on 15:24 - Mar 7 with 4523 viewsdavblue

i have a 2 year old, we are going to the Algarve all inclusive for a week in June.

We decided that we wanted to be catered for rather than have to cook all week just a bit easier for him and us.

This is the place, got quite alot of facilities for my Boy.
https://www.jet2holidays.com/portugal/algarve/albufeira/salgados-palace?gclid=EA
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 15:35]
Holiday with toddler... on 15:24 - Mar 7 with 4520 viewsSWGF

Holiday with toddler... on 15:15 - Mar 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That's a good point re: kitchenette. Forgot that.

We made sure our room/suite had one when we took our kids away as youngsters

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024