Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn 08:17 - Jul 3 with 7554 viewsitfcjoe

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/evans-prepared-to-reject-big-bigs-for-waghorn-1-5587

I always worry that these reports are the first step to players leaving

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:28 - Jul 3 with 4552 viewsHerbivore

We know that Evans has turned down big money offers in the past so I think we can feel reasonably confident that he would stick to his guns over Waghorn. I think he's essential to us and only if it was a ridiculous offer, £10m or more, should we even give it a second thought. £10m would be tempting purely because it would enable significant reinvestment in the squad and there's always the chance that he might not hit the heights of last season and be worth anything like that much again. Even the it'd be a tough call.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:28 - Jul 3 with 4558 viewsmaccyd9

As much as I like Waghorn, to have any chance of repeating or bettering last seasons tally he needs to fit into Hurst's system.

If he doesn't, then it makes sense to move him on at the absolute peak of his value.

Fortunately I don't see the club's hand being forced so any sale would be on our terms with a plan in place.
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:29 - Jul 3 with 4536 viewsNo9

If it means keeping Bart then OK
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:30 - Jul 3 with 4540 viewsBlueBadger

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:28 - Jul 3 by maccyd9

As much as I like Waghorn, to have any chance of repeating or bettering last seasons tally he needs to fit into Hurst's system.

If he doesn't, then it makes sense to move him on at the absolute peak of his value.

Fortunately I don't see the club's hand being forced so any sale would be on our terms with a plan in place.

I'd say he's professional and hardworking enough to manage to 'fit in'.
And as for struggling to repeat it, lest we forget, he managed last season's tally in a particularly non-productive side.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:33 - Jul 3 with 4504 viewsIpswichKnight

Apparently he has moved all of his family down here now don't think he would be doing that if he was planning on leaving.

Think there is more in the Garner stories in that we are probably prepared to let him leave and won't stand in his way.
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:35 - Jul 3 with 4476 viewsHerbivore

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:28 - Jul 3 by maccyd9

I think he'll fit in fine. Waghorn's best performances last season were, imo, when Garner wasn't playing and he was the one leading the line. He can play that role well and if he's got genuine wingers and attacking midfielders working alongside him then he'll score and set up plenty again.

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:36 - Jul 3 with 4473 viewsSteve_M

The problem with that logic - players should fit Hurst's system or they are out - is that it could lead to the sort of wholesale changes we saw nearly every Summer from 2008 onwards. That's counter-productive to the club, at least in the short-term; back then it was counter-productive season after season.

We've already lost Webster, McGoldrick and Connolly from last season, we have three players who didn't play from at least Christmas on, and a lot of youngsters who are promising but still developing. That leaves Bart, Knudsen, Chambers, Skuse and Waghorn as the only core players with a good full season. I don't think we will have much choice if someone comes in for Bart and Jonas is probably replaceable but selling any of the other three now would be a poor move.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:37 - Jul 3 with 4471 viewsITFC_Forever

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:33 - Jul 3 by IpswichKnight

Apparently he has moved all of his family down here now don't think he would be doing that if he was planning on leaving.

Think there is more in the Garner stories in that we are probably prepared to let him leave and won't stand in his way.

I think you’re right... and I’d much prefer to lose Garner rather than Waghorn.

I also think Bart and Knudsen will be gone no matter what.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:45 - Jul 3 with 4416 viewsmaccyd9

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:30 - Jul 3 by BlueBadger

I'd say he's professional and hardworking enough to manage to 'fit in'.
And as for struggling to repeat it, lest we forget, he managed last season's tally in a particularly non-productive side.

I meant Hurst's system. Hurst is known to play a lone target man with 3 players off him.

It's not impossible that Hurst feels that none of those are totally suited to Waghorn. Clearly I wasn't questioning Waghorns professionalism.

Quite the contrary, I'd put him as one of those players that you can easily warm to in the way he has conducted himself and taken to the club and the area. He and his missus have been a credit to themselves since day one.

As for repeating it, again it's not unreasonable to think he may not. His tally last year was a career high second best season in English football for him, only bettered by a season 8 years ago.
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:49 - Jul 3 with 4377 viewsmaccyd9

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:36 - Jul 3 by Steve_M

The problem with that logic - players should fit Hurst's system or they are out - is that it could lead to the sort of wholesale changes we saw nearly every Summer from 2008 onwards. That's counter-productive to the club, at least in the short-term; back then it was counter-productive season after season.

We've already lost Webster, McGoldrick and Connolly from last season, we have three players who didn't play from at least Christmas on, and a lot of youngsters who are promising but still developing. That leaves Bart, Knudsen, Chambers, Skuse and Waghorn as the only core players with a good full season. I don't think we will have much choice if someone comes in for Bart and Jonas is probably replaceable but selling any of the other three now would be a poor move.

I'm not saying it's as cut and dry as if you don't fit the system you are out. There will be plenty of players that may be playing in a role that isn't totally suited to them.

But, none of those could command such a fee and potentially re-shape a whole squad.

I'm not for one second saying we should be actively looking to move him on, but if Hurst want's a target man like has had previously then it would mean Waghorn is shifted in to a slightly different role. It's not unreasonable to think Hurst may see a fee of circa £10m as a great option for a player who posted a career high second best scoring record (if you discount Rangers).
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:51 - Jul 3 with 4357 viewsNo9

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:36 - Jul 3 by Steve_M

Any new manager is going to want a team the can & will play how he wants the game to be played tho'

I am encouraged by the fact PH is getting moving on player changes now rather then in the winter window when his hand is forced and he has to pay top whack.
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:02 - Jul 3 with 4261 viewsNazemariner

Waghorn is a player we should be looking to keep hold of, and I have no doubt that Evans will rebuff any cheeky bids, but if if we see a double digit bid then a club in our position would almost certainly accept it.
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:07 - Jul 3 with 4233 viewsBLUEBEAT

Has Hurst only got one system, then?

Well, that’s a worry.

Poll: W or W

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:14 - Jul 3 with 4190 viewsHerbivore

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:49 - Jul 3 by maccyd9

I'm not saying it's as cut and dry as if you don't fit the system you are out. There will be plenty of players that may be playing in a role that isn't totally suited to them.

But, none of those could command such a fee and potentially re-shape a whole squad.

I'm not for one second saying we should be actively looking to move him on, but if Hurst want's a target man like has had previously then it would mean Waghorn is shifted in to a slightly different role. It's not unreasonable to think Hurst may see a fee of circa £10m as a great option for a player who posted a career high second best scoring record (if you discount Rangers).

It's not like Hurst wants a Dion Dublin or Alan Lee type up top. He likes a forward who can lead the line, sure, but Waghorn has shown he can do that effectively. Mobility, pace and the ability to occupy defenders seem to be the attributes he looks for in a forward rather than sheer size, his teams don't tend to lump it high and long all that much so aerial ability isn't as important as being able to hold the ball up on the deck, create space and work channels. Waghorn ticks those boxes.

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:16 - Jul 3 with 4175 viewsBlueBadger

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:45 - Jul 3 by maccyd9

I meant Hurst's system. Hurst is known to play a lone target man with 3 players off him.

It's not impossible that Hurst feels that none of those are totally suited to Waghorn. Clearly I wasn't questioning Waghorns professionalism.

Quite the contrary, I'd put him as one of those players that you can easily warm to in the way he has conducted himself and taken to the club and the area. He and his missus have been a credit to themselves since day one.

As for repeating it, again it's not unreasonable to think he may not. His tally last year was a career high second best season in English football for him, only bettered by a season 8 years ago.

For 'one up and three playing off' you need a man up front who's har-working, decent on the ball, capable of creating chances and putting them away when he gets them. I'd say he's eminently suited.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:23 - Jul 3 with 4136 viewsBryanPlug

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 08:37 - Jul 3 by ITFC_Forever

I think you’re right... and I’d much prefer to lose Garner rather than Waghorn.

I also think Bart and Knudsen will be gone no matter what.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:28 - Jul 3 with 4088 viewseireblue

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:07 - Jul 3 by BLUEBEAT

Well, that’s a worry.

Hmmmm, maybe putting the no plan b stick into the loft was a bit premature.
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:32 - Jul 3 with 4059 viewsPinewoodblue

Trouble with saying bids will be rejected is that there is almost always a club with deep pockets willing to test your resolve.

There is always a tipping point when an offer is far too good to reject.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:33 - Jul 3 with 4055 viewsmaccyd9

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:07 - Jul 3 by BLUEBEAT

Well, that’s a worry.

He has a preferred system clearly. He has said so himself.

Don't quite think I ever said one system.
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:34 - Jul 3 with 4058 viewsSuperfrans

This is always code for, "we're not going to accept what has already been reported - but we will think again if the fees are higher"...

Every player has his price. Waghorn's £8/10m upwards imho.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:40 - Jul 3 with 4002 viewsitfcjoe

I do think he fits into Hurst's system though - judging by how Carlton Morris played for them. hard running and selfless and using his body well.

I do worry that if we end up selling too many players - Webster, Bart, Knusden, Garner, McGoldrick, Waghorn, Connolly, CCV - were all regualrs and have either gone or been linked away that we are trying to do too much, too quickly. Ultimately we finished 12 last year with a load of injuries so things need a tweak rather than an overhaul initially

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:44 - Jul 3 with 3981 viewsSWGF

I just wonder whether, having rejected McG's £8m and Murphy's £5-6m when they were at their peak and neither having the same impact subsequently, ME would seriously consider a decent offer.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:58 - Jul 3 with 3913 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:34 - Jul 3 by Superfrans

This is always code for, "we're not going to accept what has already been reported - but we will think again if the fees are higher"...

Every player has his price. Waghorn's £8/10m upwards imho.

Indeed, every player does indeed have his price, as Roy Keane used to point out regularly during his time here, Man U sold Cristiano Ronaldo.

As I said in the story on Friday, the sales of Webster and Knight mean there's no pressure to sell other than for a significant fee. From what I was told Pulis is very keen but Evans is digging his heels in on value. If he goes it will be for what the club see as a significant sum. Not sure it would be quite as high as the figures you suggest, to be honest, but we'll see how things progress.

As others have said, Waggy seems very well settled here and so wouldn't be angling for a move, but at the end of the day if clubs agree a deal then the player involved is likely to go, particularly when his wage is likely to be increased significantly.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 10:01 - Jul 3 with 3884 viewsITFC_Forever

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 09:44 - Jul 3 by SWGF

I just wonder whether, having rejected McG's £8m and Murphy's £5-6m when they were at their peak and neither having the same impact subsequently, ME would seriously consider a decent offer.

I would say McG played some of his best stuff for us after we rejected the Leicester bid.

The bid was rejected at the end of August 2014, he then went on to link up excellently with Murphy in the PO season 2014-15.

And was in decent form last season until Loovens' attempted castration of him.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Marcus Evans is prepared to turn down big money bids for Martyn Waghorn on 10:03 - Jul 3 with 3874 viewsSomethingBlue

Difficult one. We can't lose the core of the side all at once but, if others stayed, the money being talked about the Waghorn is sensational in my view.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024