Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Davis resigns 07:55 - Jul 9 with 8078 viewsHerbivore

Brexit is an utter shambles, it can't be delivered and certainly not by a weak and divided Tory government. The Brexiters need to actually start getting behind their country and put what is best for it ahead of their own selfish whims and accept that we need to rethink the whole thing and probably need a second referendum to stop this monumental cock up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

David Davis resigns on 07:59 - Jul 9 with 3383 viewspowinswitch

What terms would we be allowed to remain? I can’t believe the Europeans would allow us to stay on the same.
David Davis resigns on 08:06 - Jul 9 with 3350 viewsHerbivore

David Davis resigns on 07:59 - Jul 9 by powinswitch

What terms would we be allowed to remain? I can’t believe the Europeans would allow us to stay on the same.

I believe we're able to just stop the process prior to March 2019 as the 2 year period triggered by Article 50 is something of a cooling off period. It shouldn't affect our terms. If, however, we leave and want to rejoin because we realise what a mess we've made that wouldn't be a different matter.

David Davis resigns on 08:11 - Jul 9 with 3325 viewsWD19

What a scummy little man.
David Davis resigns on 08:13 - Jul 9 with 3322 viewsstig4532

The will of the people cannot be ignored just because of the gross incompetence of HMG
David Davis resigns on 08:16 - Jul 9 with 3309 viewsSteve_M

Davis who claimed Brexit would be easy has failed to put any great effort into securing a workable route for the UK to leave the EU or even to understand how it works it would seem.

Having not had the integrity to design on any of the first half-dozen times he threatened to do so, this does feel rather like a desperate rage against the dieing of his influence.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

David Davis resigns on 08:21 - Jul 9 with 3293 viewsSomethingBlue

David Davis resigns on 08:13 - Jul 9 by stig4532

The will of the people cannot be ignored just because of the gross incompetence of HMG

It's not the will of the people though.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

David Davis resigns on 08:25 - Jul 9 with 3264 viewsstig4532

David Davis resigns on 08:21 - Jul 9 by SomethingBlue

It's not the will of the people though.

Sorry, you must have forgotten the referendum we had in 2016
David Davis resigns on 08:27 - Jul 9 with 3247 viewsmeekreech

David Davis resigns on 08:06 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

I believe we're able to just stop the process prior to March 2019 as the 2 year period triggered by Article 50 is something of a cooling off period. It shouldn't affect our terms. If, however, we leave and want to rejoin because we realise what a mess we've made that wouldn't be a different matter.

Article 50 does not allow a reversal to the status quo .

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Login to get fewer ads

David Davis resigns on 08:27 - Jul 9 with 3242 viewsBlueBadger

Fine, let's have another referendum that says 'weak, now you know what a clusterf*ck it is, do you still think it's a good idea' then.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

David Davis resigns on 08:29 - Jul 9 with 3233 viewsstig4532

David Davis resigns on 08:27 - Jul 9 by BlueBadger

Fine, let's have another referendum that says 'weak, now you know what a clusterf*ck it is, do you still think it's a good idea' then.

And if Brexit wins again? Another referendum?
David Davis resigns on 08:30 - Jul 9 with 3228 viewsBlueBadger

David Davis resigns on 08:29 - Jul 9 by stig4532

Then frankly, 'the people' deserve the good hard shafting that they'll get.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

David Davis resigns on 08:30 - Jul 9 with 3222 viewsBrixtonBlue

David Davis resigns on 08:11 - Jul 9 by WD19

Bit harsh, Herbi's alright really.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

David Davis resigns on 08:31 - Jul 9 with 3215 viewsWeWereZombies

David Davis resigns on 08:11 - Jul 9 by WD19

Some of Herbivore's posts are a bit misguided but I don't think he deserves that, on the subject of this thread though:

Da da da dang dang dang
Da da da dang dang dang
The Dave Davis lives on his back
The Dave Davis loves chimney stacks
Hes outrageous, he screams and he bawls
Dave Davis let yourself go!

Sits like a man but he smiles like a reptile
May love him, she love him but just for a short while
Shell scratch in the sand, wont let go his hand
He says he's a beautician and sells you nutrition
And keeps all your dead hair for making up underwear
Poor little Davie, woh ho

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

David Davis resigns on 08:33 - Jul 9 with 3191 viewsWeWereZombies

David Davis resigns on 08:25 - Jul 9 by stig4532

Sorry, you must have forgotten the referendum we had in 2016

What, the one where 37% of the electorate voted Leave and a bunch of no hopers used that as a flabby, flappy mandate?

David Davis resigns on 08:33 - Jul 9 with 3186 viewshomer_123

David Davis resigns on 08:06 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

Ship has sailed. Nothing in Article 50 covers reversing the decision.

Although, I believe Tusk has said 'it's possible' - but I bet we;d be over a barrel there as well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

David Davis resigns on 08:36 - Jul 9 with 3175 viewsSteve_M

David Davis resigns on 08:27 - Jul 9 by meekreech

It would be a political decision to do so and a political decision to accept it. Within reason, anything might be possible.

it wouldn't be the status prior to June 2016 though, the UK political class has shown itself to be too profoundly unserious and mendacious for that.

To add that. Brexit was always possible only if it acknowledged the immense costs and disruption it would cause to many UK-based and cross-border businesses, to say nothing of individual citizens, and allowed plenty of time to reach an end state.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

David Davis resigns on 08:47 - Jul 9 with 3135 viewsWeWereZombies

David Davis resigns on 08:33 - Jul 9 by homer_123

Ship has sailed. Nothing in Article 50 covers reversing the decision.

Although, I believe Tusk has said 'it's possible' - but I bet we;d be over a barrel there as well.

Tusk is not the entire EU though, there again with trouble brewing in Italy as well as Hungary and other states not towing the line I think most EU leaders would be glad to accommodate a reversal of the intention to leave. However, the United Kingdom would probably lose some of the special terms that have been so assiduously negotiated for over the decades. Thanks for that, Leave voters. At least we would have the level of control due to a major player in World politics back, a chance to guide the EU's direction rather than be reduced to the dependency upon others exhibited in the policy making of Norway and Switzerland.

David Davis resigns on 08:51 - Jul 9 with 3119 viewsPinewoodblue

Not a problem Boris to the rescue.

Not leaving the EU really isn't going to help solve the problems the country faces, nor is having Corbyn as PM which is the likely outcome of remaining.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

David Davis resigns on 08:52 - Jul 9 with 3107 viewshomer_123

David Davis resigns on 08:47 - Jul 9 by WeWereZombies

Tusk is not the entire EU though, there again with trouble brewing in Italy as well as Hungary and other states not towing the line I think most EU leaders would be glad to accommodate a reversal of the intention to leave. However, the United Kingdom would probably lose some of the special terms that have been so assiduously negotiated for over the decades. Thanks for that, Leave voters. At least we would have the level of control due to a major player in World politics back, a chance to guide the EU's direction rather than be reduced to the dependency upon others exhibited in the policy making of Norway and Switzerland.

The EU has some significant issues still to face, as you say. Hungary, Italy and Poland as well as issues with the German banking system which is due to come to the fore in the near future.

I think the EU would be happy to see us back as it happens. Although the long term future of the EU is extremely uncertain.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

David Davis resigns on 09:04 - Jul 9 with 3072 viewsfactual_blue

The chap who drafted it would disagree with you. I know whose opinion I rate more highly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

David Davis resigns on 09:04 - Jul 9 with 3070 viewspowinswitch

A shambles it is. Utterly. The result in 2016 is interesting for many reasons, including the fact it was close, unforeseen by the markets and the government amongst others, and reveals how far apart the political class and the electorate are. It confirmed significant regional variations, including how different London is from the much of the rest of the country, and how Scotland and Northern Ireland are beset by their own internal issues.

The EU has some exceptional plus points, most obviously around trade. Why then would half of those who voted, chose to leave?
David Davis resigns on 09:06 - Jul 9 with 3063 viewsGuthrum

A snapshot of the will of the people taken on 23rd June 2016. At which point no actual manifesto of Brexit had been published (just a wild financial promise and some irrelevent stuff about non-EU migration). The people who poo-pooed the warnings of experts are the same as those who have fallen out among themselves and failed to forge any kind of consensus or conduct effective negotiations.

The version of Brexit in the 2017 Conservative manifesto failed to win a parliamentary majority. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

It strikes me that there is an element of terror among a certain section of Brexiteer opinion that their narrow victory will be snatched away by any further consultation of Parliament or public opinion. They evidently have no confidence in the force of their arguments (and perfectly valid reasons why one might wish to leave the EU do exist).

Is it any less hypocritical to say "we got the result we want, there should be no more votes" than "we didn't, try again". Do the public not have the right to change (or reaffirm) their expressed opinion in the light of fresh information?

I wonder what the will of the people would be on 9th July 2018?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

David Davis resigns on 09:13 - Jul 9 with 3037 viewsGuthrum

David Davis resigns on 08:29 - Jul 9 by stig4532

We do have repeated referenda (every five years, currently) on who should run the country. Perhaps it would be good to ask the public more frequently on other important issues?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

David Davis resigns on 09:21 - Jul 9 with 3007 viewsWeWereZombies

David Davis resigns on 09:13 - Jul 9 by Guthrum

We do have repeated referenda (every five years, currently) on who should run the country. Perhaps it would be good to ask the public more frequently on other important issues?

Wouldn't that be an abandonment of the representative democracy that has been fought for over centuries of hardship?

David Davis resigns on 09:23 - Jul 9 with 2993 viewsHerbivore

This suggests otherwise: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39291512

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024