Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again 10:34 - Aug 28 with 4312 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Make of that what you will national journalists.

I don't want us to be relegated. I don't necessarily agree we will just bounce back. I don't want us to fail to win every week.

Maybe this newera will start to fade a bit if we continue in this vein all season but I seriously doubt that we will. We have an entirely new playing staff, most of whom are new to this level and it will take time. We've seen many a promoted side struggle for the first few months and then go on to be absolutely fine.

One thing I can't doubt though is that I have been to two more away games this season than I did in the last two combined. I can't wait until each match.

Whatever these national journalists want to lazily through about, change was needed, it has come in a dramatic form and even in the face of being bottom and having to ensure such gloating from the careful what you wish for brigade, I love ITFC more now than I have done in the last few seasons.

Perhaps they can write a head scratching piece trying to work out how that can be when everything was apparently so rosy in April.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:39 - Aug 28 with 3606 viewshomer_123

Are you enjoying it because there is a change in personnel and the euphoria it brings though?

I'd say the football, albeit better (on the eye) than under Mick - isn't exactly groundbreaking or wondrous.

I can see what PH is trying to do and I really hope we can get there - it would then be a nice combination of decent football and results.

PH has been pragmatic (like Mick) throughout his short career - so I don't think we'll see anything less during his time here. Which I hope is long and very successful for us all.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:44 - Aug 28 with 3582 viewsStenvict

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:39 - Aug 28 by homer_123

Are you enjoying it because there is a change in personnel and the euphoria it brings though?

I'd say the football, albeit better (on the eye) than under Mick - isn't exactly groundbreaking or wondrous.

I can see what PH is trying to do and I really hope we can get there - it would then be a nice combination of decent football and results.

PH has been pragmatic (like Mick) throughout his short career - so I don't think we'll see anything less during his time here. Which I hope is long and very successful for us all.

Agree with this 100%.

The majority of games have been average. We are struggling to score. Many believe they're seeing a huge difference because that's what they demanded, but in reality it's similar to last season, at the moment.

Poll: What will be announced first?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:49 - Aug 28 with 3551 viewsbritbiker

I know it's weird. I don't feel panicked at all. I'm enjoying going to Town.

Yes I desperately want to win but can see the bigger picture. It may or may not work but unless we throw money at it, this is a interesting option.

The football hasn't massively improved yet but it's a start.

My only concern is the the youth. Every time we have been forced to play a whole group of our juniors the past two seasons, I have been impressed. Then many of them seem to get dropped.

I understand needing loan players but the errors they are learning from now will have non benefit to us next season and we're back to square one.
We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:51 - Aug 28 with 3537 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:39 - Aug 28 by homer_123

The enjoyment stems from the manager having ambition.

Even if it fails, it's refreshing to feel like there is a plan to improve the playing style, improve the players, grow the club, connect with the supporters and all work together.

Under Mick it felt like a Championship manager on a good pay packet feeling comfortable and doing what we could to survive each year at the cost of any long term plan, entertainment or long term vision.

That was soul destroying.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:54 - Aug 28 with 3511 viewsFtnfwest

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:49 - Aug 28 by britbiker

I know it's weird. I don't feel panicked at all. I'm enjoying going to Town.

Yes I desperately want to win but can see the bigger picture. It may or may not work but unless we throw money at it, this is a interesting option.

The football hasn't massively improved yet but it's a start.

My only concern is the the youth. Every time we have been forced to play a whole group of our juniors the past two seasons, I have been impressed. Then many of them seem to get dropped.

I understand needing loan players but the errors they are learning from now will have non benefit to us next season and we're back to square one.

Derby and Sheff Wednesday away are really not straightforward fixtures lets not kid ourselves. Because we had a good record under Mick for hanging on for dear life and then mugging those teams on a few occasions, people think that will go on indefinitely. We i think missed the real chance to take the early pressure off by not winning either of the first 2 games.
We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:54 - Aug 28 with 3510 viewsstewartm

Patience my dear blue friend! perhaps another CB and a good result against Norwich will turn the 'fortunal' tide and you will love ITFC even more!

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:54 - Aug 28 with 3513 viewsTractorWood

Importance goes in this order:

Results
Style

MM went (eventually) because the results deteriorated and it exposed a brand of football and recruitment that didn't represent progress.

Conversely, PH seems to be doing everything right except results. These need to improve and the club is then progressing.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:10 - Aug 28 with 3466 viewshomer_123

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:54 - Aug 28 by Ftnfwest

Derby and Sheff Wednesday away are really not straightforward fixtures lets not kid ourselves. Because we had a good record under Mick for hanging on for dear life and then mugging those teams on a few occasions, people think that will go on indefinitely. We i think missed the real chance to take the early pressure off by not winning either of the first 2 games.

Annoyingly, that first 10 to 15 mins against Blackburn was really rather excellent.

If we had been able to carry that on longer and convert that style and pressure into a win, the confidence difference and subsequent results would have been better. I'm not saying we'd be top but we certainly wouldn't be bottom.

If we can replicate that first 10 to 15 mins, add in a goal or two then we really would be progressing.

Login to get fewer ads

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:16 - Aug 28 with 3443 viewsTractorWood

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:10 - Aug 28 by homer_123

Annoyingly, that first 10 to 15 mins against Blackburn was really rather excellent.

If we had been able to carry that on longer and convert that style and pressure into a win, the confidence difference and subsequent results would have been better. I'm not saying we'd be top but we certainly wouldn't be bottom.

If we can replicate that first 10 to 15 mins, add in a goal or two then we really would be progressing.

Totally agree. We looked excellent in that 15 minutes. Blackburn scored twice in their only real forrays into our box. This seemed to knock us back a bit.

Scoring with a cross was a fair compensation.

Even the more clued up football brigade at work on 11:19 - Aug 28 with 3424 viewsDyland

are talking about the "careful what you wish for" line. Not in a gloating way. It's to be expected, from the outside looking in. Ridiculous but totally predictable.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:20 - Aug 28 with 3415 viewsMullet

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:16 - Aug 28 by TractorWood

Totally agree. We looked excellent in that 15 minutes. Blackburn scored twice in their only real forrays into our box. This seemed to knock us back a bit.

Scoring with a cross was a fair compensation.

We capitulated, but I'm not sure how much was down to Spence's head injury and the already unfamiliar team being pulled out of shape.

The hour in the middle of that game we were poor but that's down to first game of the season etc.

It's the last quarter of subsequent matches that Hurst needs to work on. Edun seems to be the shining example of a sub changing things significantly.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:22 - Aug 28 with 3399 viewsSteve_M

We're playing well for parts of every game but not managing to make that last for the whole 90 minutes, something we did a lot under Mick too. People are, in general, seizing on the part that suits their chosen narrative.

There was a lot to like about what we did on Saturday, but it was incredibly frustrating to go home after another defeat. Results matter and anyone claiming that the 'style of football' compensates for results being poor is trying a bit too hard in my opinion.

Now, if we sit in lower mid-table with a five point cushion at the end of the season, then we can sit there and talk about enjoying the season more than last. Indeed, that would represent an ideal platform for Hurst to build on.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2018 13:33]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:23 - Aug 28 with 3387 viewsPositivelyPortman

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 10:54 - Aug 28 by TractorWood

Importance goes in this order:

Results
Style

MM went (eventually) because the results deteriorated and it exposed a brand of football and recruitment that didn't represent progress.

Conversely, PH seems to be doing everything right except results. These need to improve and the club is then progressing.

Tbh it wasn’t just his style of football and results that deteriorated was it? It was his attitude and lack of connection with fans.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 12:15 - Aug 28 with 3287 viewsTractorWood

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:23 - Aug 28 by PositivelyPortman

Tbh it wasn’t just his style of football and results that deteriorated was it? It was his attitude and lack of connection with fans.

Was going to add about that. His ability to stoke the divide between the fans was bewildering. The whole numbskulls thing (amongst many other comments), whether correct or not was not really necessary.

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 12:23 - Aug 28 with 3244 viewshomer_123

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 11:22 - Aug 28 by Steve_M

We're playing well for parts of every game but not managing to make that last for the whole 90 minutes, something we did a lot under Mick too. People are, in general, seizing on the part that suits their chosen narrative.

There was a lot to like about what we did on Saturday, but it was incredibly frustrating to go home after another defeat. Results matter and anyone claiming that the 'style of football' compensates for results being poor is trying a bit too hard in my opinion.

Now, if we sit in lower mid-table with a five point cushion at the end of the season, then we can sit there and talk about enjoying the season more than last. Indeed, that would represent an ideal platform for Hurst to build on.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2018 13:33]

You mean Paul, not Mick, right? ;)

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 12:26 - Aug 28 with 3215 viewsjeera

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 12:23 - Aug 28 by homer_123

Letting go is hard.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 13:11 - Aug 28 with 3095 viewsGuthrum

I was - and remain - very much in the substance (i.e. results) over style camp. However, I'm also prepared to give the new regime (who had little choice but to make large-scale changes) a fair crack of the whip to get things together and working.

If there isn't any improvement whatsoever by the time we're into the January window, with no sign that the coaching team are willing or able to get a handle on the situation, then I might begin to be concerned that the experiment hasn't worked. But it won't require a lot of progress (show we can score a respectable number of goals, win a few games, not be adrift at the bottom of the table) for me to be happy to carry on and see where Hurst's system takes us.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 13:24 - Aug 28 with 3030 viewsVic

Agreed. We're still living in the hope of what WILL be rather than being enthralled by what is actually played now.

Despite what people say I don't believe that people will be happy with watching this football and the same results in 3 months time.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 13:25 - Aug 28 with 3034 viewsElephantintheRoom

Have you got a specs case for your rose-tinted glasses IF you ever take them off? Of course the careful what you wish for brigade are having a smirk - it's all gone a bit pear shaped. Town tried to win a cup tie against minnows and lost. Town marketed their fine array of young talent - one of who gave 'Hurst's Shrewsbury' a bit of a runaround in the play-off final and they have all been completely ignored. The loans have been as baffling and as pointless as anything MM attempted. Hurst's arrogance on arrival was poor man management and has no doubt alientated all the players who were here last year. And the hotchpotch of new signings for top dollar from bottom dollar clubs - well case unproven in the hope that some will make the necessary step up. Be as positive as you like - but please look at the league table at this time last year and remember how smug and supportive you felt - before bitterness and reality crept in.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 13:27 - Aug 28 with 3019 viewsSteve_M

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 12:23 - Aug 28 by homer_123

I actually meant to type Hurst there. That, I hope evidence of the consistency of my views towards whoever is currently managing Ipswich (I didn't even totally give up on Jewell, despite some grave doubts until the September before he went).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

same on 13:28 - Aug 28 with 3016 viewsDyland

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 13:11 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

I was - and remain - very much in the substance (i.e. results) over style camp. However, I'm also prepared to give the new regime (who had little choice but to make large-scale changes) a fair crack of the whip to get things together and working.

If there isn't any improvement whatsoever by the time we're into the January window, with no sign that the coaching team are willing or able to get a handle on the situation, then I might begin to be concerned that the experiment hasn't worked. But it won't require a lot of progress (show we can score a respectable number of goals, win a few games, not be adrift at the bottom of the table) for me to be happy to carry on and see where Hurst's system takes us.

Though it's already proving difficult talking with my own family about the time frame, let alone some of the over reactions on here or at PR. It's especially hard reasoning with the young 'uns about time. Ironic, considering they have more of it.

Ach well, there are more important things I guess.

Town this, Town that, as opposed to we or us etc. on 13:30 - Aug 28 with 3008 viewsDyland

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 13:25 - Aug 28 by ElephantintheRoom

Have you got a specs case for your rose-tinted glasses IF you ever take them off? Of course the careful what you wish for brigade are having a smirk - it's all gone a bit pear shaped. Town tried to win a cup tie against minnows and lost. Town marketed their fine array of young talent - one of who gave 'Hurst's Shrewsbury' a bit of a runaround in the play-off final and they have all been completely ignored. The loans have been as baffling and as pointless as anything MM attempted. Hurst's arrogance on arrival was poor man management and has no doubt alientated all the players who were here last year. And the hotchpotch of new signings for top dollar from bottom dollar clubs - well case unproven in the hope that some will make the necessary step up. Be as positive as you like - but please look at the league table at this time last year and remember how smug and supportive you felt - before bitterness and reality crept in.

Phil, any chance of banning this budgie troll?

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 13:38 - Aug 28 with 2977 viewsRyorry

We are bottom of the league and I am enjoying my football again on 13:24 - Aug 28 by Vic

Agreed. We're still living in the hope of what WILL be rather than being enthralled by what is actually played now.

Despite what people say I don't believe that people will be happy with watching this football and the same results in 3 months time.

We are *3 weeks* into the new season, why be so ridiculously downbeat as to assume nothing will have changed 3 months from now?? Quite apart from anything else, you have to assume that our fitness levels will have improved even if only through actual playing of games (and I'm pretty damn sure that a lot of work's also been done on fitness levels in training - as someone else has pointed out, our performances so far have dipped late on in the 90+ minutes).
[Post edited 28 Aug 2018 13:41]

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Town this, Town that, as opposed to we or us etc. on 13:42 - Aug 28 with 2964 viewsElephantintheRoom

Town this, Town that, as opposed to we or us etc. on 13:30 - Aug 28 by Dyland

Phil, any chance of banning this budgie troll?

Excuse me but that is a very reasoned assessment of the current situation. This time last year Town were at the top of the table and I suspect most people on here precisely one year ago were quite happy.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Town this, Town that, as opposed to we or us etc. on 13:44 - Aug 28 with 2954 viewsSpruceMoose

Town this, Town that, as opposed to we or us etc. on 13:42 - Aug 28 by ElephantintheRoom

Excuse me but that is a very reasoned assessment of the current situation. This time last year Town were at the top of the table and I suspect most people on here precisely one year ago were quite happy.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024