Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do people actually care about the style of football 16:41 - Apr 28 with 3009 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I don't understand the love in with sexy football. People think it is more enjoyable but winning games is enjoyable.

When the Cowleys names were brought up after MIck went people said no because of style of football being too long ball etc.

This isn't a Mick in post he had to go for many reasons other than the football. Watching the Burnley game made me think there is nothing wrong with Long ball.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Do people actually care about the style of football on 16:46 - Apr 28 with 2980 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think people do care, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I guess if you're top of the league playing long ball, maybe that makes up for it.

But being mid to lower end of the table and playing long ball isn't great.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Do people actually care about the style of football on 16:51 - Apr 28 with 2962 viewsFtnfwest

Long ball has a shelf life which in our case ended halfway through 2014/15. It’s a worthwhile tactic to try to engineer an unlikely promotion but to build something longer term which the fans can take a bit of pride in and look forward to watching surely that should be preferable? As for being careful for what we wished for I think most of us were thinking Brentford rather than Man CIty.
Do people actually care about the style of football on 16:57 - Apr 28 with 2921 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Do people actually care about the style of football on 16:46 - Apr 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

I guess if you're top of the league playing long ball, maybe that makes up for it.

I do not disagree

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Do people actually care about the style of football on 16:57 - Apr 28 with 2919 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Do people actually care about the style of football on 16:51 - Apr 28 by Ftnfwest

Long ball has a shelf life which in our case ended halfway through 2014/15. It’s a worthwhile tactic to try to engineer an unlikely promotion but to build something longer term which the fans can take a bit of pride in and look forward to watching surely that should be preferable? As for being careful for what we wished for I think most of us were thinking Brentford rather than Man CIty.

a fair point

Do people actually care about the style of football on 17:03 - Apr 28 with 2913 viewsFtnfwest

Do people actually care about the style of football on 16:57 - Apr 28 by TRUE_BLUE123

a fair point

Hailing from cambridge I used to go to see them on occasion and during the John beck reign in the early 90s they went on an unbeaten run of games which ended one evening mid week against Preston at home (this was league 1 at the time). Preston were only mid table and cambridge near the top but Preston had a reputation for being a good footballing side and they absolutely played cambridge off the pitch 3-0. The cambridge fans suddenly realised how poor their side really were. However having said that it carried them through two promotions - it was just that once it all fell apart they were relegated back to league two and beyond just as quickly
Do people actually care about the style of football on 17:08 - Apr 28 with 2889 viewsNthQldITFC

Personally, yes.

I just don't want to watch a side that predominantly hoofs it forward and hopes to profit from a loose ball. It just doesn't entertain me, no matter how successful it is.

I totally accept that some people are more interested in winning irrespective of style.

There's no right or wrong, like art vs science.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Do people actually care about the style of football on 17:09 - Apr 28 with 2882 viewsCoco

Do people actually care about the style of football on 16:46 - Apr 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

It isn’t just the long ball it’s the intent. Warnock for example plays an agricultural style but with aggressive attacking intent (outside the prem anyway) other play a direct style but with a very cautious negative attitude which makes it harder to enjoy.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Do people actually care about the style of football on 17:30 - Apr 28 with 2836 viewsGarv

Of course. No point in going if it's not enjoyable to watch. As is always said it's great when you win, in that it has served a purpose, but when you draw or lose and it's clear you've just played for percentages, it's not so great.

I guess there's also a difference between playing long ball and being negative. We've done both in recent times.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Do people actually care about the style of football on 18:05 - Apr 28 with 2757 viewsMrTown

Oh it matters to most fans. Think ‘long ball’ is the bread and butter of the lower leagues.

But the higher you go up the leagues the quality shines through. And when it doesn’t work it is both boring and dull.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Do people actually care about the style of football on 18:14 - Apr 28 with 2734 viewsBlue_Moses

I just want to see us score more goals. It's the reason I wanted 'him' gone and now it's happening again
Do people actually care about the style of football on 18:22 - Apr 28 with 2719 viewsJ2BLUE

I think people need to see the large grey area in between the anti football long ball tactics of the worst examples and the tippy tappy total football of the likes of Spain/Barca.

I prefer a mix. Can anyone say they found Spain of 2-3 tournaments ago particularly entertaining when they built up slowly from the back and then passed it around their opponent's area for ten minutes before creating a chance? A decent mix of styles would be nice. I don't want our players to go out on the pitch and think they can't pass it sideways along the ground and I don't want them thinking they can't hit a long ball if they see an opportunity.

I think much of the negativity is due to people worrying about how other fan bases see us.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Do people actually care about the style of football on 19:37 - Apr 28 with 2576 views3_5_2

to me long ball should a mix of play, not the total plan

There are times when a decent ball into the channels can work (for Jackson to chase for example) but working through midfield and wing play is good to see also

Our lack of decent strikers has forced our hand this season

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:01 - Apr 28 with 2524 viewsstrikalite

Do people actually care about the style of football on 18:22 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

I think people need to see the large grey area in between the anti football long ball tactics of the worst examples and the tippy tappy total football of the likes of Spain/Barca.

I prefer a mix. Can anyone say they found Spain of 2-3 tournaments ago particularly entertaining when they built up slowly from the back and then passed it around their opponent's area for ten minutes before creating a chance? A decent mix of styles would be nice. I don't want our players to go out on the pitch and think they can't pass it sideways along the ground and I don't want them thinking they can't hit a long ball if they see an opportunity.

I think much of the negativity is due to people worrying about how other fan bases see us.

Dyche was asked about what his ideal team would be today, he said a team that could adapt to any situation, similar to the Man Utd team in their prime, they could both pass it and be direct, years ago you had to adapt due to the conditions too, the City side today don't have to as the pitches are so good now they don't need too..
ARGHGGHHHHHHH... on 20:22 - Apr 28 with 2450 viewsunstableblue

No one is after ineffective tippy tappy football and no wins

But wins and success today come from a good base passing game and the ability to keep possession when you have it. Combined with movement going forward - either by longer distribution, getting to the byline or intricate passing into the box - or a combination.

Those that it do it well get promoted, often with quality squads. Sometimes without, like The Blades.

Some teams with lower level squads such as Preston, get the mix right to suit. But in no way are they hoofing horror shows.

The problem we had is we were playing the most introverted and limiting system for two seasons, and in effect it ‘retarded’ our players... and fans became completely sick of it.

The fans just want a brand a football that gets results and is also relatively easy on the eye. Indeed results today only come with a base of passing.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:25 - Apr 28 with 2448 viewsjaykay

there's the long ball game , then there's hoof ball .

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:40 - Apr 28 with 2414 viewsfactual_blue

Do people actually care about the style of football on 18:22 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

Quite. Football boils down to this:

Keep possession.
If you lose possession, get possession back as quickly as you can.
With your possession, look to get forward as quickly as you can.
But always make sure you pass to one of your team.
Ideally every pass should hurt the opposition, but that's not going to happen.
But always, keep possession.
And convert possession into goals.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 20:44]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:44 - Apr 28 with 2388 viewsPJH

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:40 - Apr 28 by factual_blue

Keep possession.

Good idea except if you score a goal you give away possession.
Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:47 - Apr 28 with 2384 viewsPJH

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:40 - Apr 28 by factual_blue

Keep possession.

Did your "goals" edit come before or after my post?
Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:51 - Apr 28 with 2374 viewsfactual_blue

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:47 - Apr 28 by PJH

Did your "goals" edit come before or after my post?

Yes.

Of course giving away possession by virtue of scoring takes you to the bit about getting possession back as quickly as possible.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:53 - Apr 28 with 2362 viewsPJH

Do people actually care about the style of football on 20:51 - Apr 28 by factual_blue

Yes.

Of course giving away possession by virtue of scoring takes you to the bit about getting possession back as quickly as possible.

Or you could keep possession by not scoring.

Anyway, nearly time for Line Of Duty.
Do people actually care about the style of football on 21:58 - Apr 28 with 2304 viewsMelford

Long-ball football can be exciting football if you have the right players for it to make it work. If you have a McGoldrick and Murphy up front who can make those hopeless punts upfront stick and score plenty of goals then it's all good like the play-off season. You need a big lump to head the ball and someone quick and/or tricky to get in on the knockdowns.
Murphy wasn't replaced and McGoldrick played less due to injuries and we had nobody else who could really play that role. That season we scored 78 goals, after that it was 53, 48, 57.
If Mick would have funding to get a Marcus Stewart type of signing done in 2015, maybe a few million on a proven striker at this level to replace Murphy, signing another player of similar quality and value with the cash we just pocketed then it may have continued, if we had got the likes of a Billy Sharp or Dwight Gayle instead of Leon Best.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

MYTH BUSTING on 23:57 - Apr 28 with 2210 viewsunstableblue

Do people actually care about the style of football on 21:58 - Apr 28 by Melford

Long-ball football can be exciting football if you have the right players for it to make it work. If you have a McGoldrick and Murphy up front who can make those hopeless punts upfront stick and score plenty of goals then it's all good like the play-off season. You need a big lump to head the ball and someone quick and/or tricky to get in on the knockdowns.
Murphy wasn't replaced and McGoldrick played less due to injuries and we had nobody else who could really play that role. That season we scored 78 goals, after that it was 53, 48, 57.
If Mick would have funding to get a Marcus Stewart type of signing done in 2015, maybe a few million on a proven striker at this level to replace Murphy, signing another player of similar quality and value with the cash we just pocketed then it may have continued, if we had got the likes of a Billy Sharp or Dwight Gayle instead of Leon Best.

Of the 27 goals scored by Murphy in the positive 14/15 play-off season only 3 maybe 4 are from long balls!!!! They are nearly all from corners or on the floor build up play.

Also a large percentage are just absolute brilliance from Murphy who was playing out of his skin. If we had him in that form when Lambert bought in January we’d be in the bloody play-offs by now.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024