Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There seems to me, that there are many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these 10:21 - May 30 with 2020 viewsunstableblue

.... days!

Anyone else think the same?

You just read posts and think - you do realise it’s 2019?! And we live in a multi-cultural country, in a globalised and connected world. And that the Second World War and British Empire were generations ago.

UNRECONSTRUCTED
adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]
If you describe systems, beliefs, policies, or people as unreconstructed, you are critical of them because they have not changed at all, in spite of new ideas and circumstances.
[disapproval]
...the unreconstructed racism of the official opposition.
....She accused him of being an unreconstructed male chauvinist.
[Post edited 30 May 2019 13:17]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:22 - May 30 with 2001 viewsGavTWTD

I hope it's not 2018. I'm not doing all that again.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:25 - May 30 with 1986 viewsPendejo

What year is it? 2018, May... Err Mr. Evans... Hurst, just don't do it. Trust me.

To explain dear TWTD I have had a nightmare... In 2019 we get relegated if we appoint Hurst.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:30 - May 30 with 1968 viewsJ2BLUE

Assume this is about the Cleese thread?

I've typed out a post about five times before deleting it. Trying to raise the point that some people might love London but others might prefer a little village somewhere which is 99% British for a variety of reasons. It's great that we have the option to have both but I don't think people should be looked down upon if they aren't entirely comfortable with the 'multi-cultural, globalised and connected world'.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:31 - May 30 with 1958 viewsGuthrum

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:25 - May 30 by Pendejo

What year is it? 2018, May... Err Mr. Evans... Hurst, just don't do it. Trust me.

To explain dear TWTD I have had a nightmare... In 2019 we get relegated if we appoint Hurst.

Appoint who did you say instead - an ex-Norwich manager??!? That'll never work out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:42 - May 30 with 1927 viewsWeWereZombies

Apart from the 2018 blunder you have also typed 'to' when, I think, you meant 'too'. I am now labouring to try and construct some awful pun about you seeming a bit unstable this morning but I think I'll leave it.

Concerning the gist of your post, how do we stop someone being 'unreconstructed' if we do not engage with them? And how do they explain to us why they hold the opinions they do as well as point out any logical faults in our perfect opinions if we never communicate?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Indeed on 10:50 - May 30 with 1918 viewsDyland

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:30 - May 30 by J2BLUE

I've typed out a post about five times before deleting it. Trying to raise the point that some people might love London but others might prefer a little village somewhere which is 99% British for a variety of reasons. It's great that we have the option to have both but I don't think people should be looked down upon if they aren't entirely comfortable with the 'multi-cultural, globalised and connected world'.

My folks don't particularly like modern day London multi-culturalism (my mum's from the smoke, old man from Suffolk) but they certainly ain't bigots. Much like Mr. Cleese I guess. I don;t have much time for their opinions if I'm honest but we all get on very well and argue and bicker like any normal people.

There are really no people on this board I wouldn't have a pint with. Except Ullaa of course.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Indeed on 10:55 - May 30 with 1891 viewsSwansea_Blue

Indeed on 10:50 - May 30 by Dyland

My folks don't particularly like modern day London multi-culturalism (my mum's from the smoke, old man from Suffolk) but they certainly ain't bigots. Much like Mr. Cleese I guess. I don;t have much time for their opinions if I'm honest but we all get on very well and argue and bicker like any normal people.

There are really no people on this board I wouldn't have a pint with. Except Ullaa of course.

Wise move. Getting a round in for Ullaa and his family would bankrupt even the wealthiest.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:58 - May 30 with 1881 viewsfactual_blue

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:30 - May 30 by J2BLUE

London is, for the most part, still a collection of villages.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 11:01 - May 30 with 1877 viewsWeWereZombies

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:58 - May 30 by factual_blue

London is, for the most part, still a collection of villages.

Oh, Factual!!

I never knew you were an estate agent.

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 11:45 - May 30 with 1824 viewsfactual_blue

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 11:01 - May 30 by WeWereZombies

Oh, Factual!!

I never knew you were an estate agent.

On the edge of the Nightingale Triangle, conveniently situated for The Two Commons, Clapham South tube station and Wandsworth Common overground station, this Edwardian villa in a leafy side street...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 12:15 - May 30 with 1775 viewsunstableblue

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 10:42 - May 30 by WeWereZombies

Apart from the 2018 blunder you have also typed 'to' when, I think, you meant 'too'. I am now labouring to try and construct some awful pun about you seeming a bit unstable this morning but I think I'll leave it.

Concerning the gist of your post, how do we stop someone being 'unreconstructed' if we do not engage with them? And how do they explain to us why they hold the opinions they do as well as point out any logical faults in our perfect opinions if we never communicate?

I think many do try to communicate what they feel are more progressive ideals, but there seems to be a knee-jerk - "oh here go the liberal lefty types" stereotyping being given back.

I just think there is a danger that as a nation we hold ourselves back , with this seemingly unreconstructed large voice and influence in our society, that doesn't embrace good values and change.

This will sadden you on 12:17 - May 30 with 1775 viewsDyland

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 11:45 - May 30 by factual_blue

On the edge of the Nightingale Triangle, conveniently situated for The Two Commons, Clapham South tube station and Wandsworth Common overground station, this Edwardian villa in a leafy side street...

The Nightingale boozer is sh1t these days.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 12:20 - May 30 with 1759 viewslowhouseblue

i agree with this. the challenge is to promote a sense of shared culture / experience / values etc when we all lead such different lives. there is a tendency for people to think their lives are normal and anything different is foreign. that applies just as much to someone living in london as to someone living in fram. london is not typical of the uk - and someone who lives there has a distinct experience. how do you have a national broadcaster which aims to promote a shared culture etc when it has to reflect the lives of londoners, who live in a hugely racially diverse world, as well as the lives of those across the uk - when the uk as a nation is 88% white? how do you depict a world which everyone understands when lives are very different but we all assume the life we live is normal? but if we don't share culture / values / etc you end up with division and conflict.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 12:23 - May 30 with 1749 viewsOldsmoker

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 11:45 - May 30 by factual_blue

That "situated next to a green space with great views" you sold me was a park bench.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Indeed on 12:41 - May 30 with 1718 viewsgiant_stow

Indeed on 10:55 - May 30 by Swansea_Blue

Wise move. Getting a round in for Ullaa and his family would bankrupt even the wealthiest.

Bitches

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ah the 'Nightingale Triangle' on 13:11 - May 30 with 1680 viewsunstableblue

the high point of estate agent spin... they created a district

having said that I loved living there...

very posh now

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:22 - May 30 with 1658 viewsRyorry

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 12:20 - May 30 by lowhouseblue

i agree with this. the challenge is to promote a sense of shared culture / experience / values etc when we all lead such different lives. there is a tendency for people to think their lives are normal and anything different is foreign. that applies just as much to someone living in london as to someone living in fram. london is not typical of the uk - and someone who lives there has a distinct experience. how do you have a national broadcaster which aims to promote a shared culture etc when it has to reflect the lives of londoners, who live in a hugely racially diverse world, as well as the lives of those across the uk - when the uk as a nation is 88% white? how do you depict a world which everyone understands when lives are very different but we all assume the life we live is normal? but if we don't share culture / values / etc you end up with division and conflict.

There's also the "stranger danger" fear (as I discovered when living on the Orkney Islands for 3 years) which I think is simply an innate, biological, being human thing.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:30 - May 30 with 1633 viewsWeWereZombies

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:22 - May 30 by Ryorry

There's also the "stranger danger" fear (as I discovered when living on the Orkney Islands for 3 years) which I think is simply an innate, biological, being human thing.

Either that or you didn't get the Orcadian sense of humour.

John McCusker to Kris Drever (who is from the Orkney Islands) at Cambridge Folk Festival last year: 'I thought you lived in Shetland, Kris.'

Drever: 'I lived there a few years...for convenience.'

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:41 - May 30 with 1616 viewsRyorry

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:30 - May 30 by WeWereZombies

Either that or you didn't get the Orcadian sense of humour.

John McCusker to Kris Drever (who is from the Orkney Islands) at Cambridge Folk Festival last year: 'I thought you lived in Shetland, Kris.'

Drever: 'I lived there a few years...for convenience.'

Sadly, nothing to do with their soh.

As a then middle-aged female, I got viewed with hostility & suspicion for walking on the beach on my own in the middle of the day!

Someone who later became a friend told it me it was purely due to small, close-knit traditional community having innate fear of strangers (and tbf, there was a murder during my stay there that as far as I'm aware remains unexplained to this day - a random masked person went to the entrance of a restaurant in Kirkwall & gunned one of the diners down in cold blood. No connections could be found, and it was assumed the murderer made their escape by private boat).

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:44 - May 30 with 1608 viewsfooters

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:22 - May 30 by Ryorry

Did you get the Wicker Man treatment?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:57 - May 30 with 1582 viewsRyorry

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 13:41 - May 30 by Ryorry

Sadly, nothing to do with their soh.

As a then middle-aged female, I got viewed with hostility & suspicion for walking on the beach on my own in the middle of the day!

Someone who later became a friend told it me it was purely due to small, close-knit traditional community having innate fear of strangers (and tbf, there was a murder during my stay there that as far as I'm aware remains unexplained to this day - a random masked person went to the entrance of a restaurant in Kirkwall & gunned one of the diners down in cold blood. No connections could be found, and it was assumed the murderer made their escape by private boat).

I see the murder (in 1994) was apparently solved in 2008 (although the man convicted still maintains his innocence); and the victim was a waiter, not a diner - should have googled before, not after posting shouldn't I, haha!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/jun/21/scotland.ukcrime
[Post edited 30 May 2019 13:59]

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 16:43 - May 30 with 1491 viewshoppy

There seem to me, to be many ‘unreconstructed’ TWTD posters these days on 12:23 - May 30 by Oldsmoker

That "situated next to a green space with great views" you sold me was a park bench.

Think yourself lucky you got somewhere permanent. My "relaxed living in a modern urban space with cultural and historic vistas" turned out to be one of the deckchairs on the new Cornhill. No sooner had I moved in and got myself comfortable, they were packing them away.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024