Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A warm glow........ 09:24 - Oct 6 with 10288 viewsArnieM

Oh my God! 😮, is this really happening? Are Town REALLY 7 points clear, ( in the automatic promotion slots), with a game in hand, a quarter of the way through the season. We haven’t even got out of 2nd gear yet, from the games I’ve seen.

How things have changed since the Messiah, Paul Lambert took over less than a year ago. I now look forward to games, and walk to the ground with a spring in my step. Mind you , it’s been so long, so very long, in fact over 15years since Town fans have had anything to shout or get excited about, that even now, I still can’t allow myself to believe we will win when that whistle goes. It’s almost as if I’m a participant in wonderful dream, but if I turn over , the magic will evaporate, and I’ll wake up to find we still have the boring Mr McCarthy here at Portman Road, with the Yorkshireman’s ethos of , “we start wi a point, and il take that all day long”! Playing with 9 men behind the ball at home, rarely venturing over the half way line.

Under Paul Lambert, we now have glimpses of “ sexy” football ( McCarthy). We have wing backs that attack, we have Skuse showing his true Calibre, and 2 strikers terrorising defences. We have Chambers playing in a back three, showing that he is a good player, and leader. And we have a goal keeper that can finally catch and kick the ball! But best all of all, we have a manager that respects the fans, communicates with the fans, and engages with us, the like of which we haven’t seen since Bobby Robson’s days. The players are at one with the fans, and the fans are making THAT atmosphere happen again.

Of yes, it’s such a privilege to be a Town fan. We have our Club back in spades and Portman Road ROCKS again.

We are Ipswich.........are the “Town going UP”? If not, it’s going to be a helluva couple of teams that’s going stop us!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 9:53]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A warm glow........ on 09:27 - Oct 6 with 5055 viewsWD19

No. No they are not.

I hope that helps.

(note: that was in answer to your first question, not the last.)
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 9:28]
A warm glow........ on 09:34 - Oct 6 with 5012 viewsHerbivore

We're in League 1, hardly the stuff of dreams. And I'm pretty sure the actual son of God would have kept us in the Championship after taking over in October only a handful of points adrift. Let's not rewrite history or get carried away with hyperbole. Just enjoy the fact that relegation has meant we're actually a top side in the league we're in for a change.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A warm glow........ on 09:34 - Oct 6 with 5003 viewsBluebell

I think we have 27 points to Wycombe’s 23.

Not sure that is 7 points clear.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 10:06]
A warm glow........ on 09:37 - Oct 6 with 4973 viewsblueislander

A warm glow........ on 09:34 - Oct 6 by Bluebell

Get the sleep out of your eyes girl. Fleetwood have 20 points.
A warm glow........ on 09:37 - Oct 6 with 4975 viewsBluearmy71

Wycombe's 23 points
A warm glow........ on 09:43 - Oct 6 with 4941 viewsArnieM

Had to check again lol.... we are 7 points “ clear” of the third placed team , ie meaning we are in the automatic promotion places, 7 points ahead of third place... which is bloody brilliantly ( I don’t care what division we are in, that’s good).

I bet Sunderland, Pompey or Peterborough ( all supposed favourites before the season started , to rip this division up), would swap with us right now. So hopefully you’ll forgive my joy at our current situation. We’ve had NOTHING to cheer about for well over a decade, and the football is lightyrsrs better than the four shyte served up by McCarthy.

COYBs

A warm glow........ on 09:45 - Oct 6 with 4922 viewsHerbivore

A warm glow........ on 09:43 - Oct 6 by ArnieM

Had to check again lol.... we are 7 points “ clear” of the third placed team , ie meaning we are in the automatic promotion places, 7 points ahead of third place... which is bloody brilliantly ( I don’t care what division we are in, that’s good).

I bet Sunderland, Pompey or Peterborough ( all supposed favourites before the season started , to rip this division up), would swap with us right now. So hopefully you’ll forgive my joy at our current situation. We’ve had NOTHING to cheer about for well over a decade, and the football is lightyrsrs better than the four shyte served up by McCarthy.

COYBs

I'm going to be controversial, I preferred us competing for the top 6 in the Championship.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A warm glow........ on 09:49 - Oct 6 with 4893 viewsblueislander

A warm glow........ on 09:45 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

I'm going to be controversial, I preferred us competing for the top 6 in the Championship.

And I preferred it when we were 1st Division champions.
Login to get fewer ads

A warm glow........ on 09:50 - Oct 6 with 4890 viewsDubtractor

A warm glow........ on 09:45 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

Odd really isn't it?

I was very much of the view that McCarthy's time was up, should prob have left a season earlier in all honesty, but to ignore that there were some very good times in his earlier seasons is bonkers.

That Lambert has got the club all pulling in the same direction and has utterly galvanised the support is a massive plus, and our start to the season has been brilliant even allowing for the drop in standard, but we shouldn't pretend that McCarthy was all bad!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A warm glow........ on 09:51 - Oct 6 with 4876 viewsstrikalite

Of course it's a nice feeling, winning football matches is always a nice feeling and yes we haven't had this for a long time, I'm with you on that for sure, although I can believe it because we do have arguably the strongest squad in the League and probably the second highest budget in terms of wages, so we're pretty much punching below our weight..

This is actually though the perfect league for us, experienced Pro's like Chambers and Skuse look solid and the younger players have a couple of more seconds on the ball....and you certainly don't get punished at the back with mistakes like you do in the Championship..

But yes I'm with you, it's a great feeling, even though we're probably kidding ourselves a touch, we'll take it!!
A warm glow........ on 09:58 - Oct 6 with 4853 viewsArnieM

A warm glow........ on 09:51 - Oct 6 by strikalite

Of course it's a nice feeling, winning football matches is always a nice feeling and yes we haven't had this for a long time, I'm with you on that for sure, although I can believe it because we do have arguably the strongest squad in the League and probably the second highest budget in terms of wages, so we're pretty much punching below our weight..

This is actually though the perfect league for us, experienced Pro's like Chambers and Skuse look solid and the younger players have a couple of more seconds on the ball....and you certainly don't get punished at the back with mistakes like you do in the Championship..

But yes I'm with you, it's a great feeling, even though we're probably kidding ourselves a touch, we'll take it!!

Exactly, that’s all I’m trying to say really. I’m ENJOYING going to football again. It’s been a very long while since I’ve said that.

Even coming t9 the point of our rare time in the top six under McCarthy, I was often at odds with the style of “ football” on display. I was bored and frustrated with his ultra defensive approach tbh. Yes we gained points and scrapped into the top six, but I was bored and uneasy with how Town were playing. There was no excitement or fun, was there!

A warm glow........ on 10:05 - Oct 6 with 4822 viewsBluebell

A warm glow........ on 09:37 - Oct 6 by blueislander

Get the sleep out of your eyes girl. Fleetwood have 20 points.

Just looked at the table. You are correct.
A warm glow........ on 10:13 - Oct 6 with 4786 viewsbrogansnose

A warm glow........ on 09:58 - Oct 6 by ArnieM

Exactly, that’s all I’m trying to say really. I’m ENJOYING going to football again. It’s been a very long while since I’ve said that.

Even coming t9 the point of our rare time in the top six under McCarthy, I was often at odds with the style of “ football” on display. I was bored and frustrated with his ultra defensive approach tbh. Yes we gained points and scrapped into the top six, but I was bored and uneasy with how Town were playing. There was no excitement or fun, was there!

I take your general point about enjoying this season but were you bored when we were beating Sunderland at home or Millwall away ? And you didn't enjoy that season we got in the playoffs ? I'm not having a go but I don't think that you can look at Micks tenure here and not take into consideration a lot of stuff was over Evan's failure to push on especially after that playoff season.

Anyway, water under the bridge now, lets look forward and hope that between Evans and PL we don't turn into a side too good for this division but bottom 8 fodder in the Championship.
A warm glow........ on 10:19 - Oct 6 with 4763 viewsTheBoyBlue

Have to admit, I'm enjoying, precisely because its been years since we've seen Town winning so often. It is only League 1, but it doesn't diminish the enjoyment for me and the result yesterday was a real bonus as I would've been pleased with a point. We're going to lose at some point and I felt that was going to be the likely point for it to come.

That said, as others have pointed out, others have been in similar positions at this stage and blown it, so I hope we use that as way of discouraging complacency. But yes, it is a good feeling at the moment, not one I've experienced much in recent years!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

A warm glow........ on 10:24 - Oct 6 with 4730 viewsBackToRussia

A warm glow........ on 09:58 - Oct 6 by ArnieM

You have it wrong, when we finished in the top 6 we played some very decent attacking football, teams couldn't live with us at times and we were in the top 2 come January, but we stuttered after that. There's no need to make out we were never good, especially when it was our most successful season since Royle's time.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

A warm glow........ on 10:40 - Oct 6 with 4665 viewsPecker

Have to say I am not enjoying this league one bit. Winning games is great, but the standard of football is way off what I am use to watching the Town play. Yes winning will hopefully lead to better things next season, but I do not want a repeat of this season in my life. I would be a very happy mid table championship bunny with a cup run every other season.
A warm glow........ on 10:43 - Oct 6 with 4645 viewsWickets

Think it was 7 points for a few minutes on the live table ??
A warm glow........ on 11:04 - Oct 6 with 4588 viewsOwainG1992

A warm glow........ on 10:43 - Oct 6 by Wickets

Personally I'm loving this season naturally.
There were some very good victories under Big Mick and let's not forget he took us to the play offs. If Marcus had backed him that January we may well have got top 2.
The last 18 months or so under Mick were dire.
Hurst was a shambles.
Prior to Mick I enjoyed the football under Jim Magilton.
Still think He should never have been let go.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

A warm glow........ on 11:10 - Oct 6 with 4572 viewspatrickswell

A warm glow........ on 10:43 - Oct 6 by Wickets

7 points clear of third which is the stat that matters. Neither Wycombe or Fleetwood play in the league until the 19th now, but Coventry could be within 1 point of us by the time we kick off at Accrington on the 20th.
A warm glow........ on 11:13 - Oct 6 with 4557 viewsunstableblue

A warm glow........ on 10:40 - Oct 6 by Pecker

Have to say I am not enjoying this league one bit. Winning games is great, but the standard of football is way off what I am use to watching the Town play. Yes winning will hopefully lead to better things next season, but I do not want a repeat of this season in my life. I would be a very happy mid table championship bunny with a cup run every other season.

Whilst I agree the standard of opposition is low; it’s not as terrible as I expected. Apart from MK Dons who were woeful first half. You just don’t get punished for mistakes.

As for Towns standard, really don’t agree. Town themselves have played the odd 20-30mins in the season so far that is some of the best pass, move and attack we’ve seen since Magilton, the Downes goal for instance. Yes they’re doing against weak teams, but it’s still a joy to watch.

The hope is that once the team is settled and fully fit we start seeing that for 60mins. Almost as a training preseason ahead of next season.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

A warm glow........ on 11:15 - Oct 6 with 4543 viewsstrikalite

A warm glow........ on 11:10 - Oct 6 by patrickswell

7 points clear of third which is the stat that matters. Neither Wycombe or Fleetwood play in the league until the 19th now, but Coventry could be within 1 point of us by the time we kick off at Accrington on the 20th.

If they win their two games, a big if on yesterdays performance, and we'd have two games in hand...

Is that game v Accy on Sky?
A warm glow........ on 11:22 - Oct 6 with 4522 viewspatrickswell

A warm glow........ on 11:15 - Oct 6 by strikalite

If they win their two games, a big if on yesterdays performance, and we'd have two games in hand...

Is that game v Accy on Sky?

It is. I’m going to Birkenhead on the Sunday for an induction for a new job I start on the Monday. If the kick-off had been at 3pm, I might have tried to take the scenic route via Accrington, but going from Kent, I’d have to be up at sparrow’s fart to do it.

Coventry’s games are Tranmere (H) and MK Dons (A), so 6 points are definitely achievable.
A warm glow........ on 11:44 - Oct 6 with 4473 viewsstrikalite

A warm glow........ on 11:22 - Oct 6 by patrickswell

It is. I’m going to Birkenhead on the Sunday for an induction for a new job I start on the Monday. If the kick-off had been at 3pm, I might have tried to take the scenic route via Accrington, but going from Kent, I’d have to be up at sparrow’s fart to do it.

Coventry’s games are Tranmere (H) and MK Dons (A), so 6 points are definitely achievable.

Good luck with the new job,quite a journey from Kent...

Yeah very winnable if yesterday was just a blip, not sure what's wrong with MK, expected them to be up there this season..
A warm glow........ on 11:56 - Oct 6 with 4445 viewsjeera

A warm glow........ on 10:24 - Oct 6 by BackToRussia

You have it wrong, when we finished in the top 6 we played some very decent attacking football, teams couldn't live with us at times and we were in the top 2 come January, but we stuttered after that. There's no need to make out we were never good, especially when it was our most successful season since Royle's time.

We're spending this season aiming to get back to where we already were in terms of league positions and some are acting as though the club's achieved something mighty.

It's justification, that's all.

No one wants to put their hands up so bit of rewriting is easier.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A warm glow........ on 12:15 - Oct 6 with 4392 viewstractorboy1978

A warm glow........ on 10:40 - Oct 6 by Pecker

Football is about competing to win things. If your aspirations before a season starts are finishing 12th and hopefully winning a couple of cup games that is pretty dire. Winning games is winning games whatever league you are in - it is the same feeling when the ball hits the back of the net.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 12:29]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024