Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A warm glow........ 09:24 - Oct 6 with 10287 viewsArnieM

Oh my God! 😮, is this really happening? Are Town REALLY 7 points clear, ( in the automatic promotion slots), with a game in hand, a quarter of the way through the season. We haven’t even got out of 2nd gear yet, from the games I’ve seen.

How things have changed since the Messiah, Paul Lambert took over less than a year ago. I now look forward to games, and walk to the ground with a spring in my step. Mind you , it’s been so long, so very long, in fact over 15years since Town fans have had anything to shout or get excited about, that even now, I still can’t allow myself to believe we will win when that whistle goes. It’s almost as if I’m a participant in wonderful dream, but if I turn over , the magic will evaporate, and I’ll wake up to find we still have the boring Mr McCarthy here at Portman Road, with the Yorkshireman’s ethos of , “we start wi a point, and il take that all day long”! Playing with 9 men behind the ball at home, rarely venturing over the half way line.

Under Paul Lambert, we now have glimpses of “ sexy” football ( McCarthy). We have wing backs that attack, we have Skuse showing his true Calibre, and 2 strikers terrorising defences. We have Chambers playing in a back three, showing that he is a good player, and leader. And we have a goal keeper that can finally catch and kick the ball! But best all of all, we have a manager that respects the fans, communicates with the fans, and engages with us, the like of which we haven’t seen since Bobby Robson’s days. The players are at one with the fans, and the fans are making THAT atmosphere happen again.

Of yes, it’s such a privilege to be a Town fan. We have our Club back in spades and Portman Road ROCKS again.

We are Ipswich.........are the “Town going UP”? If not, it’s going to be a helluva couple of teams that’s going stop us!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 9:53]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A warm glow........ on 12:38 - Oct 6 with 4632 viewsWickets

I think we need to enjoy being top but keep both feet on the floor as some bright spark on another thread has just posted that none of the top 5 at this stage last season got promoted !!
A warm glow........ on 13:27 - Oct 6 with 4603 viewsHerbivore

A warm glow........ on 09:50 - Oct 6 by Dubtractor

Odd really isn't it?

I was very much of the view that McCarthy's time was up, should prob have left a season earlier in all honesty, but to ignore that there were some very good times in his earlier seasons is bonkers.

That Lambert has got the club all pulling in the same direction and has utterly galvanised the support is a massive plus, and our start to the season has been brilliant even allowing for the drop in standard, but we shouldn't pretend that McCarthy was all bad!

Mick also achieved very similar in his first 3 years here in terms of getting the fans on board. People have short memories.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A warm glow........ on 13:29 - Oct 6 with 4602 viewsHerbivore

A warm glow........ on 11:13 - Oct 6 by unstableblue

Whilst I agree the standard of opposition is low; it’s not as terrible as I expected. Apart from MK Dons who were woeful first half. You just don’t get punished for mistakes.

As for Towns standard, really don’t agree. Town themselves have played the odd 20-30mins in the season so far that is some of the best pass, move and attack we’ve seen since Magilton, the Downes goal for instance. Yes they’re doing against weak teams, but it’s still a joy to watch.

The hope is that once the team is settled and fully fit we start seeing that for 60mins. Almost as a training preseason ahead of next season.

Some of it is almost as good as, for example, the 4-2 home win over Forest the season before last. Probably not quite as good as that, but it's getting close.

A warm glow........ on 13:44 - Oct 6 with 4591 viewsBluefish

A warm glow........ on 09:58 - Oct 6 by ArnieM

Exactly, that’s all I’m trying to say really. I’m ENJOYING going to football again. It’s been a very long while since I’ve said that.

Even coming t9 the point of our rare time in the top six under McCarthy, I was often at odds with the style of “ football” on display. I was bored and frustrated with his ultra defensive approach tbh. Yes we gained points and scrapped into the top six, but I was bored and uneasy with how Town were playing. There was no excitement or fun, was there!

I think this is your 3rd post in the thread and you have mentioned Super Mick in every one. When PL has us in the championship playing better football and scoring more points than Mick you will be justified. Until then it looks a bit desperate and probably because you feel guilty about helping to get us relegated.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

A warm glow........ on 14:06 - Oct 6 with 4579 viewsDarth_Koont

Hmmm. As 2014-15 has apparently passed you by we were top of a higher league at Christmas playing football that was better than what we're currently playing. And the fans came back too.

I'm very happy with our points total so far and cautiously optimistic we'll go up automatically. But I can't really pretend that the football is that great nor that we are looking ready for the Championship.

There's time for that of course.

Pronouns: He/Him

arf on 14:17 - Oct 6 with 4556 viewsDyland

A warm glow........ on 13:44 - Oct 6 by Bluefish

I think this is your 3rd post in the thread and you have mentioned Super Mick in every one. When PL has us in the championship playing better football and scoring more points than Mick you will be justified. Until then it looks a bit desperate and probably because you feel guilty about helping to get us relegated.

Naughty :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:27 - Oct 6 with 4518 viewsunstableblue

A warm glow........ on 14:06 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

Hmmm. As 2014-15 has apparently passed you by we were top of a higher league at Christmas playing football that was better than what we're currently playing. And the fans came back too.

I'm very happy with our points total so far and cautiously optimistic we'll go up automatically. But I can't really pretend that the football is that great nor that we are looking ready for the Championship.

There's time for that of course.

Agree Town have yet to put in a 70-80mins masterclass this season, and the opposition is weak, and we’d probable survive in the championship but it would be mid table at BEST. But there have been some fantastic passages of play, with excellent passing and movement, we have a right back at last. And as a team we look to move and pass forward.

Whilst the 14-15 had lots of great things about; it also had a lot of ugly performances and towards the end it felt our system of play was not right. A lot of fans had a growing concern on Mick. As for ‘bringing the fans back’, I’d say the buzz around the club currently is better; and indeed we have a higher average league attendance this season and that’s in League One.

2014-15 was good but let’s not reinvent history by saying it was special.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:30 - Oct 6 with 4508 viewsHerbivore

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:27 - Oct 6 by unstableblue

Agree Town have yet to put in a 70-80mins masterclass this season, and the opposition is weak, and we’d probable survive in the championship but it would be mid table at BEST. But there have been some fantastic passages of play, with excellent passing and movement, we have a right back at last. And as a team we look to move and pass forward.

Whilst the 14-15 had lots of great things about; it also had a lot of ugly performances and towards the end it felt our system of play was not right. A lot of fans had a growing concern on Mick. As for ‘bringing the fans back’, I’d say the buzz around the club currently is better; and indeed we have a higher average league attendance this season and that’s in League One.

I'd say it was more special than getting excited about a 1-0 win at Fleetwood to be fair. Ironically this season we've been quite McCarthy like in how we're performing. Tight at the back and well organised, don't create loads but have spells where we raise the tempo and create enough to win the game. Difference is we're now doing it in the third tier rather than the second.

Login to get fewer ads

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:32 - Oct 6 with 4511 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:27 - Oct 6 by unstableblue

It wasn't special, I agree. But it was better than now and at a higher level.

Let's not pretend this is any high point of the last 15 years.

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:42 - Oct 6 with 4494 viewsblueislander

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:32 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

The amount of support would suggest otherwise whatever ones own feeling may be.
Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:54 - Oct 6 with 4485 viewsunstableblue

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:32 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

Agree that on the pitch the special moments are not consistent through a game... but there have been moments... Jackson last minute winner under the lights, Milton Keynes first half, Garbutt wunder free kick, KVY solo run and goal, downes flying header after wonderful move...

But I agree the opposition is weaker and Town have not fully gelled at times.

But I do think that what is special is the rebuilding of the connection between the fans and the club, and the improving atmosphere, and the magnificent away following (selling out allocations). If we can merge that with truly finding our identity on the pitch, a la Burley years, we could push on in the championship.

Don’t forget that in the tail end of 14/15 we were still getting 16k and 17k crowds! We got 19,785 against Tranmere!!!

Here’s to a rip roaring performance after the international break. Still think we’ll need Huws in the team for that; and I do think The Wolf should be rested less

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:56 - Oct 6 with 4481 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:42 - Oct 6 by blueislander

Fans came back in 2014/15 too.

I understand people are enjoying this season based on the the previous few years (including the disaster of last season that was arguably kept together by Blue Action and their efforts) but let's not get carried away. We're in the wrong league and we're more than likely only back where we started even if we get promoted.

Forgive me if I'm not massively convinced of a shift in our fortunes.

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:56 - Oct 6 with 4479 viewsBackToRussia

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:42 - Oct 6 by blueislander

Our average home attendance was 20k in 2015, doubt it will be that high this year.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 16:00 - Oct 6 with 4471 viewsHerbivore

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:54 - Oct 6 by unstableblue

Agree that on the pitch the special moments are not consistent through a game... but there have been moments... Jackson last minute winner under the lights, Milton Keynes first half, Garbutt wunder free kick, KVY solo run and goal, downes flying header after wonderful move...

But I do think that what is special is the rebuilding of the connection between the fans and the club, and the improving atmosphere, and the magnificent away following (selling out allocations). If we can merge that with truly finding our identity on the pitch, a la Burley years, we could push on in the championship.

Don’t forget that in the tail end of 14/15 we were still getting 16k and 17k crowds! We got 19,785 against Tranmere!!!

Here’s to a rip roaring performance after the international break. Still think we’ll need Huws in the team for that; and I do think The Wolf should be rested less

I'm pretty sure we weren't getting crowds of 16k and 17k at the tail end of 2014/15. We averaged 20k that season with several bumper crowds.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 16:03]

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 16:00 - Oct 6 with 4472 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:54 - Oct 6 by unstableblue

I think Lambert has done well to focus on the fans (even though he had little else to talk about last season).

But I think huge credit needs to go to Blue Action. They have kept the atmosphere up and even turned it around for the most part despite perfomances and results that led to a pretty poor relegation.

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 16:09 - Oct 6 with 4455 viewsblueislander

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 15:56 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

Fans came back in 2014/15 too.

I understand people are enjoying this season based on the the previous few years (including the disaster of last season that was arguably kept together by Blue Action and their efforts) but let's not get carried away. We're in the wrong league and we're more than likely only back where we started even if we get promoted.

Forgive me if I'm not massively convinced of a shift in our fortunes.

I think that there is more quality in the squad than we have had for several years. I do have doubts about the strikers. Norwood has reached his limit in this league it seems. Jackson may still develop. We do have Lankester to come back , and he showed great potential in the few games he has played. A fully fit Sears should prosper in this league. One big improvement this year has been Skuse. I was a big critic of him, but I have to admit he is making a much bigger contribution creatively than he ever did under McCarthy.
Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 16:17 - Oct 6 with 4447 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 16:09 - Oct 6 by blueislander

I think that there is more quality in the squad than we have had for several years. I do have doubts about the strikers. Norwood has reached his limit in this league it seems. Jackson may still develop. We do have Lankester to come back , and he showed great potential in the few games he has played. A fully fit Sears should prosper in this league. One big improvement this year has been Skuse. I was a big critic of him, but I have to admit he is making a much bigger contribution creatively than he ever did under McCarthy.

I think last year did a number on us and our realism. People seem desperate to see success in what was actually failure.

We've dropped in quality no question with Hurst and then the relegation. Season before last we had players like Waghorn, McGoldrick, Webster, Bialkowski, Knudsen and Garner plus all our better players now like Skuse, Downes, Dozzell, Huws etc.

I'm sure the idea is we come back strong and players like Woolfenden, Holy, KVY, Norwood, Jackson etc. may emerge as good Championship performers but we're not there yet.

Let's enjoy it for what it is, not for what it isn't.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 16:19]

A warm glow........ on 17:02 - Oct 6 with 4394 viewsArnieM

A warm glow........ on 13:44 - Oct 6 by Bluefish

....,”Because you feel guilty helping to get us relegated”, eh, wtf are you on about? Care to explain that in more detail.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 17:59 - Oct 6 with 4366 viewsHerbivore

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 16:09 - Oct 6 by blueislander

This is, at best, our most quality side in a year. No further back than that. The season before that we had the likes of Webster, Waghorn and Didz to name but three. It was a far stronger squad than the one we currently have. We look better relatively because we're in a trash league.

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 20:19 - Oct 6 with 4332 viewsblueislander

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 17:59 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

This is, at best, our most quality side in a year. No further back than that. The season before that we had the likes of Webster, Waghorn and Didz to name but three. It was a far stronger squad than the one we currently have. We look better relatively because we're in a trash league.

We now have Woolfenden, CVY, and Garbutt in defense. A plethora of talented midfielders. They may not be the finished article as were the ones you mention, but given time I think they will prove to be at least their equals.
A warm glow........ on 20:29 - Oct 6 with 4320 viewsMullet

A warm glow........ on 09:50 - Oct 6 by Dubtractor

Odd really isn't it?

I was very much of the view that McCarthy's time was up, should prob have left a season earlier in all honesty, but to ignore that there were some very good times in his earlier seasons is bonkers.

That Lambert has got the club all pulling in the same direction and has utterly galvanised the support is a massive plus, and our start to the season has been brilliant even allowing for the drop in standard, but we shouldn't pretend that McCarthy was all bad!

Apparently Hurst never happened either. Funny that. Wish I could delete that from my memory.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 20:32 - Oct 6 with 4310 viewsMullet

"Let's not reinvent history" after two long paragraphs doing just that..... priceless.

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 20:35 - Oct 6 with 4300 viewsMullet

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 20:19 - Oct 6 by blueislander

We now have Woolfenden, CVY, and Garbutt in defense. A plethora of talented midfielders. They may not be the finished article as were the ones you mention, but given time I think they will prove to be at least their equals.

So they're not actually as good yet then? But they might be?

This thread is another one all over the place. We should be embarrassed to be at this level, winning it at a canter only serves to remind us that we should never have gone down in such a gutless manner if at all.

A warm glow........ on 20:49 - Oct 6 with 4289 viewsMelford

A warm glow........ on 13:27 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

Mick also achieved very similar in his first 3 years here in terms of getting the fans on board. People have short memories.

I remember Millwall away in 2015, when there were loads of people doing that Mickma Mickma McCarthy/Terry Connor chant/dance out the front of the Barrowboy and Banker. Super Mick who got bought a Christmas hamper from donations from TWTD forum users. There are a few people on here who painted Mick as the footballing antichrist by the end who would have quite happily licked his rim clean back then.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 20:56]

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 20:52 - Oct 6 with 4288 viewsblueislander

Oh Darth... it’s been a while... but here goes again on 20:35 - Oct 6 by Mullet

So they're not actually as good yet then? But they might be?

This thread is another one all over the place. We should be embarrassed to be at this level, winning it at a canter only serves to remind us that we should never have gone down in such a gutless manner if at all.

My point is the talent in the squad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024