Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An awful lot of flouncing on here last night 07:46 - Jan 29 with 6693 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yes we were appalling against Rotherham. Probably the worst performance I’ve seen since the away game at Accrington. The team didn’t work as a unit and there wasn’t one outstanding performance from a player in blue.

But the way people are posting you would think we would we were bottom three rather tan top three. We went into last night’s game top of the league and unbeaten in five.

I also see that both Judge and Edwards are being scapegoated, despite them showing very good form during our recent revival. Not one player player came out of last night’s game with any credit yet it’s the same people moaning about the same two players.

Oh and apparently it was Lambert’s fault we lost despite playing a winning, settled and unchanged team which is what our fans have calling for.

Get a grip lads and lasses. We go again on Saturday.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 07:50 - Jan 29 with 3250 viewsChrisd

For me, it's more the fact that we just can't get the job done against any of the sides around us. Soon as we come against a side that is physical and direct we really struggle and invariably play long ball ourselves and we haven't the personnel to do it effectively. Finally, all this nonsense that we have the best squad in the league can be put to bed for me, Rotherham did a job on us home and away and we weren't even second best in those games.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 07:56 - Jan 29 with 3221 viewsSteve_M

Yes, as bad as we were the reaction seems a bit over the top. Rotherham were as bad as we were last night at Peterborough on Saturday and the league as a whole remains pretty inconsistent.

Lambert does take criticism for last night though, probably should have made a couple of changes, certainly Nowood's bustle against that defence would have been more effective than Keane last night. We were too slow to change it in the second half when we started that even more poorly than the first.

We could do with some points from the next two matches though, but no reason why we can't beat Peterborough on Saturday.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 07:57 - Jan 29 with 3208 viewsGlasgowBlue

Can I also add this nonsense about not beating anyone in the top 8? That’s this week’s top 8. It’s necessarily the top 8 teams on the last day of the season.

We beat Fleetwood away when they were third or fourth and we beat Burton who are level on points with the 8th placed team.

Iron Lion Zion

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 07:59 - Jan 29 with 3190 viewsHerbivore

Glassers, I'm not sure I've seen a worse Town performance than that in my 30 or so years of going to and watching games. It was awful. To not show up in a top of the table clash and to seemingly have no game plan to counter an effective but very predictable Rotherham side is incredibly disappointing. We're lucky so many sides are taking points off each other, usually you need 2 points per game for promotion - and we were more than achieving that early doors - but nobody is managing that this season. If they were we'd have a fairly hefty gap to bridge.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:01 - Jan 29 with 3164 viewsHerbivore

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 07:57 - Jan 29 by GlasgowBlue

Can I also add this nonsense about not beating anyone in the top 8? That’s this week’s top 8. It’s necessarily the top 8 teams on the last day of the season.

We beat Fleetwood away when they were third or fourth and we beat Burton who are level on points with the 8th placed team.

I prefer to see it as two wins against top half sides.

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:09 - Jan 29 with 3112 viewsGlasgowBlue

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 07:59 - Jan 29 by Herbivore

Glassers, I'm not sure I've seen a worse Town performance than that in my 30 or so years of going to and watching games. It was awful. To not show up in a top of the table clash and to seemingly have no game plan to counter an effective but very predictable Rotherham side is incredibly disappointing. We're lucky so many sides are taking points off each other, usually you need 2 points per game for promotion - and we were more than achieving that early doors - but nobody is managing that this season. If they were we'd have a fairly hefty gap to bridge.

The Blackpool 6-0 and Posh 7-1 spring to mind. Although I still maintain that our 3-0 loss at home to Southampton in the year they were relegated to league 1 was the worst Town game I have ever witnessed.

Yes it was appalling and we didn’t turn up in an important six pointer. I think lambert could and should have made tactical changes far earlier but I don’t understand why so many players were so off form.

I think your criticism is fair but so many posts have been over the top. You’d think we were in a relegation fight.

Iron Lion Zion

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:13 - Jan 29 with 3092 viewsGaryCooper

'We beat Fleetwood away when they were third or fourth and we beat Burton who are level on points with the 8th placed team.'

Blimey that is a lot of straws on the deck!
An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:18 - Jan 29 with 3047 viewsGlasgowBlue

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:13 - Jan 29 by GaryCooper

'We beat Fleetwood away when they were third or fourth and we beat Burton who are level on points with the 8th placed team.'

Blimey that is a lot of straws on the deck!

Unless the top 8 this week is the top 8 when the season has finished them it’s a nonsense stat to keep using. Burton win on Saturday and we’ve beaten a top 8 side. It’s silly.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:34 - Jan 29 with 2918 viewsChrisd

We've won 1 game (Burton away) against the Top 10 sides in 11 attempts in the league. Not cause for concern? The top of the league is starting to take shape, there's a lot of sides that will stay in those lofty positions come the end of the season so to have a record like that against our nearest promotion rivals is worrying regardless of how you want to garnish the facts.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 8:36]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:37 - Jan 29 with 2892 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:18 - Jan 29 by GlasgowBlue

Unless the top 8 this week is the top 8 when the season has finished them it’s a nonsense stat to keep using. Burton win on Saturday and we’ve beaten a top 8 side. It’s silly.

It is completely valid. These teams are all teams that have the same aspirations as us. To be the best in the league you have to beat the best in the league, and we can't do that.

Flat track bullies we are

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:43 - Jan 29 with 2858 viewsStokieBlue

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:09 - Jan 29 by GlasgowBlue

The Blackpool 6-0 and Posh 7-1 spring to mind. Although I still maintain that our 3-0 loss at home to Southampton in the year they were relegated to league 1 was the worst Town game I have ever witnessed.

Yes it was appalling and we didn’t turn up in an important six pointer. I think lambert could and should have made tactical changes far earlier but I don’t understand why so many players were so off form.

I think your criticism is fair but so many posts have been over the top. You’d think we were in a relegation fight.

For being totally outplayed, Fulham at Portman Road in 2016 was appalling.

Herby has valid points though, Rotherham weren't complicated. They bullied us and played to a plan. We should have been ready to counter it since it was obvious how they would play.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:51 - Jan 29 with 2826 viewspatrickswell

I take consolation from the fact that we’ve had a good month and last night was always going to be tough. Aside from Sunderland and Doncaster, all our remaining fixtures against the top 8-10 clubs are at home. We have to come back strong from this and go strong in those home games and against the bottom half sides.

Hope Huws’s injury isn’t too much of a long-term issue.
An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:57 - Jan 29 with 2793 viewsDarth_Koont

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:43 - Jan 29 by StokieBlue

Herby has valid points though, Rotherham weren't complicated. They bullied us and played to a plan. We should have been ready to counter it since it was obvious how they would play.

SB

Think the difficulty there was that this has been our plan with Huws and Downes bullying the opposition. Tonight they came up against Crooks and Barlaser who did the same to them.

So we probably needed more from the rest of the team and that just didn't happen. Then again it shouldn't come as much of a surprise as we've largely failed all season to impose ourselves out wide.

Pronouns: He/Him

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:23 - Jan 29 with 2688 viewsITFC_Forever

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 08:43 - Jan 29 by StokieBlue

SB

And I have no idea why we think we can take teams who play like on at their own game.

They are experts at it and play like that every week. We are not and do not.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:29 - Jan 29 with 2660 viewsclive_baker

I think people on here tend to form an opinion on something and then find it hard to concede anything other than that opinion. Judge has been one of our best players since the turn of the year, he's got genuine quality as we've seen lately when he's in his stride, but last night he was one of pretty much the whole side that wasn't on it, yet is singled out for criticism. He actually showed just about the only bit of quality in the whole 90 minutes when he pulled the ball out of the sky to put Jackson through, whose finish was poor. Football supporters are so reactionist. If we win we're the best thing going and when we don't we might as well pack up and fold the club. It's not healthy.

Bad performance = crap player / get them out of the club nowadays.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:34 - Jan 29 with 2643 viewsStokieBlue

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:29 - Jan 29 by clive_baker

I think people on here tend to form an opinion on something and then find it hard to concede anything other than that opinion. Judge has been one of our best players since the turn of the year, he's got genuine quality as we've seen lately when he's in his stride, but last night he was one of pretty much the whole side that wasn't on it, yet is singled out for criticism. He actually showed just about the only bit of quality in the whole 90 minutes when he pulled the ball out of the sky to put Jackson through, whose finish was poor. Football supporters are so reactionist. If we win we're the best thing going and when we don't we might as well pack up and fold the club. It's not healthy.

That's not really fair though, you've picked a single incident and used it to support your point. About 10 minutes before that we were bearing down on their goal from the right and instead of looking to penetrate into the box he stopped, turned around and played the ball all the way back to the defence, we lost it and they had an attack.

So best not to cherry pick incidents. Judge was poor last night but so was everyone else. He's far from the only player who has been criticised. It's also worth pointing out that you've said he has genuine quality so perhaps he should be held up to a higher standard?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:38 - Jan 29 with 2628 viewsHerbivore

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:29 - Jan 29 by clive_baker

Equally some form an opinion that they rate a player and selectively highlight things to justify their position.

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:40 - Jan 29 with 2620 viewsclive_baker

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:34 - Jan 29 by StokieBlue

That's not really fair though, you've picked a single incident and used it to support your point. About 10 minutes before that we were bearing down on their goal from the right and instead of looking to penetrate into the box he stopped, turned around and played the ball all the way back to the defence, we lost it and they had an attack.

So best not to cherry pick incidents. Judge was poor last night but so was everyone else. He's far from the only player who has been criticised. It's also worth pointing out that you've said he has genuine quality so perhaps he should be held up to a higher standard?

SB

That's literally what I said. Judge was crap. Everyone was crap. My point is it's important to distinguish between a bad performance and crap footballer. Huws has genuine quality too, and he was the worst player on the pitch for an hour.

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:42 - Jan 29 with 2601 viewsclive_baker

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:38 - Jan 29 by Herbivore

Equally some form an opinion that they rate a player and selectively highlight things to justify their position.

I'm sure they do. Nobody should be free from criticism. I really rate Huws, yesterday he was garbage. Jackson too, awful last night. Both players I really like, and come Saturday if fit Jackson would still be one of my first names on the team sheet.

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:46 - Jan 29 with 2584 viewsHerbivore

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:40 - Jan 29 by clive_baker

That's literally what I said. Judge was crap. Everyone was crap. My point is it's important to distinguish between a bad performance and crap footballer. Huws has genuine quality too, and he was the worst player on the pitch for an hour.

Judge is an attacking player who has managed one league goal and a few assists in a year's worth of football. It shouldn't be a surprise that people don't rate him. Even the likes of Edwards and Nolan have contributed to more goals over the past year than Judge and both have played fewer games I believe. Garbutt has contributed way more in terms of goal threat and he's mostly played as a full back. At what point does it become fair to assess Judge on his actual contribution rather than a vague perception that he's a quality footballer?

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:47 - Jan 29 with 2576 viewsHerbivore

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:42 - Jan 29 by clive_baker

I'm sure they do. Nobody should be free from criticism. I really rate Huws, yesterday he was garbage. Jackson too, awful last night. Both players I really like, and come Saturday if fit Jackson would still be one of my first names on the team sheet.

Fair dos. Agree on both Jackson and Huws. Jackson just couldn't get anything going last night, although he still worked his socks off. Huws looked off the pace. Think it may have been one game too many for him.

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:49 - Jan 29 with 2563 viewsGlasgowBlue

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 09:47 - Jan 29 by Herbivore

Fair dos. Agree on both Jackson and Huws. Jackson just couldn't get anything going last night, although he still worked his socks off. Huws looked off the pace. Think it may have been one game too many for him.

Agree re Huws. Said as much last night.

One game too many for Huws? by GlasgowBlue 28 Jan 2020 20:33
Looks a bit leggy tonight.

He’s been brilliant over the last month or so but maybe he needs a rest.

I await the screamer from Huws hitting the back of the nett after I hit the post button.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Skuse come in for him on Saturday.

Iron Lion Zion

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 10:05 - Jan 29 with 2526 viewsGuthrum

We were pumelled all evening, but still only lost by one goal (with decent chances to equalise at the end). That by (currently) the strongest team in the division.

If we can continue to harvest points from those in the lower two-thirds of the division, we will be in the mix come May.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 10:09 - Jan 29 with 2500 viewsBluedandy

Ah yes... time for the day after the night before anti-flounce flounce ..
Yet again we failed to beat a genuine promotion contender.. if after 28 games you haven't mustered a single win against a top 9 side it might imply something... by the way neither Fleetwood nor Burton is a genuine realistic rival ..
We really did huff and puff against lowly Lincoln... even for this tawdry level it was anything but a breathless brand of total football...
It's imperative we beat at least one of Posh and Sunderland if not both otherwise many more will start to believe what some already suspect... that this squad of players is not nearly as good as originally thought...
An awful lot of flouncing on here last night on 10:10 - Jan 29 with 2497 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's cathartic. We were useless; only right that people could rant and rave at their computer screens. I'd imagine the people there were a bit more supportive!

But that was yesterday, today's a new day and all will be well when we stuff 'boro 8-0 at the weekend

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024