Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Journalism is missing the mood of the country 09:53 - Apr 21 with 3981 viewsPinewoodblue

An interesting blog shared by a friend. There a few posters I can think of who need to read this.

https://www.effiedeans.com/2020/04/journalism-is-missing-mood-country.html?fbcli

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:25 - Apr 21 with 2708 viewsDarth_Koont

Many in the country want to believe everything is alright and let's stay positive. Many people want answers and honesty about a serious situation.

We need to address both the positives and the negatives if we're going to get through this in the best shape.

Personally, I want the positive of a scientific and expert healthcare response that is untainted by the negative of political priorities and a lack of accountability. I'm pretty sure we're not there yet.

Pronouns: He/Him

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:28 - Apr 21 with 2681 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Thanks for sharing.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:31 - Apr 21 with 2672 viewsSteve_M

It's rather panglossian and asking questions of government is the right approach. There are certainly questions about the Westminster lobby's approach but they are of being too reliant on sources. Certainly the UK is in a better place in terms of national unity than the US for example.

And on this bit:

"The first thing you learn in history is that people make mistakes. Faced with unprecedented situations they make lots of mistakes."

It would help if the government admitted to some mistakes, instead it's treating this as a news management crisis rather than one of public health.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:34 - Apr 21 with 2659 viewsLord_Lucan

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:31 - Apr 21 by Steve_M

It's rather panglossian and asking questions of government is the right approach. There are certainly questions about the Westminster lobby's approach but they are of being too reliant on sources. Certainly the UK is in a better place in terms of national unity than the US for example.

And on this bit:

"The first thing you learn in history is that people make mistakes. Faced with unprecedented situations they make lots of mistakes."

It would help if the government admitted to some mistakes, instead it's treating this as a news management crisis rather than one of public health.

I agree they should talk to the nation rather than soundbite it.

Merkel is absolutely different class, in fact the Germans are bloody brilliant in most things from sport upwards.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:34 - Apr 21 with 2653 viewsSomethingBlue

It's largely nonsense but that unfortunately is where we are atm.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:35 - Apr 21 with 2648 viewsmonytowbray

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:25 - Apr 21 by Darth_Koont

Many in the country want to believe everything is alright and let's stay positive. Many people want answers and honesty about a serious situation.

We need to address both the positives and the negatives if we're going to get through this in the best shape.

Personally, I want the positive of a scientific and expert healthcare response that is untainted by the negative of political priorities and a lack of accountability. I'm pretty sure we're not there yet.

I skim read the OP link so excuse the ignorance if wrong, but it benefits those with something to hide to not face scrutiny. It also certainly benefits them to dress up scrutiny as being unpatriotic and not in the spirit too.

It's not a GE and is a pandemic, that part is correct. Meaning actually proving your worth as a trustworthy elected government and owning your sh1t is important too. You don't have to do that if you are transparent to begin with.

The criticism is a crisis of their own making. Whilst other counties talk about easing lockdown with strong measures we're sat here still on trajectory of Italy for deaths despite ample warning and outcry from the scientific/health community when we decided doing nothing for 3 days in the name of herd immunity was full steam ahead. People seem to forget that.

I think we'll look back at images of Cheltenham 2020 and those Stereophonics concerts and ask what they were thinking. Although if anyone was going to ruin the country it would had to have been suited drunk chavs betting on animal cruelty and those who love bland Indie Rock music...
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 10:37]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:53 - Apr 21 with 2597 viewsBloomBlue

The trouble is in life everyone makes mistakes and I mean everyone, but too many expect perfection from everyone else.

We've become accustomed to always having the answer (I call it the Hollywood movie effect) so people struggle when there isn't one answer. Look at PPE I'm not sure of the cause but it seems to be a combination of things but journalists cannot accept that and they keep asking and asking for the singular silver bullet answer, the Hollywood movie effect of everything has a single answer.

Like the vaccine, journalists keep asking when will we get it, all wanting a date, that singular answer again, but we've never created a vaccine for any coronavirus it's possible we never will. There isn't a Brad Pitt looking back at a load of zombies running through Jerusalem noticing they didn't attack an individual who was already ill with some other disease, the singular bullet again

But most of the public can see this is a once in a lifetime event and know mistakes will be made. I think people are getting fed-up with journalist bringing out this scientist and that scientist, this professor and that professor who all counterargue against each other the evidence what should/shouldn't have been done, again the singular bullet

Most of the public lead a very simple life, they accept shlt happens, my oldest friend lost his son aged 22 many years ago in a car crash the driver of the other car was drunk, if only the flipping Gov had banned all alcohol before that day he would still be alive. No that's not how my Friend or his family actually feel, they know banning alcohol would never happen and there is no guarantee he would still be alive even if it had been, shlt happens.

As I said most of the public lead a very simple life, they accept shlt happens, they now this is a once in a lifetime event, the vast majority know mistakes are being made but they know whoever was managing this would be making mistakes, they just want to get back to their normal way of life.
Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:01 - Apr 21 with 2576 viewsBlueBadger

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:53 - Apr 21 by BloomBlue

The trouble is in life everyone makes mistakes and I mean everyone, but too many expect perfection from everyone else.

We've become accustomed to always having the answer (I call it the Hollywood movie effect) so people struggle when there isn't one answer. Look at PPE I'm not sure of the cause but it seems to be a combination of things but journalists cannot accept that and they keep asking and asking for the singular silver bullet answer, the Hollywood movie effect of everything has a single answer.

Like the vaccine, journalists keep asking when will we get it, all wanting a date, that singular answer again, but we've never created a vaccine for any coronavirus it's possible we never will. There isn't a Brad Pitt looking back at a load of zombies running through Jerusalem noticing they didn't attack an individual who was already ill with some other disease, the singular bullet again

But most of the public can see this is a once in a lifetime event and know mistakes will be made. I think people are getting fed-up with journalist bringing out this scientist and that scientist, this professor and that professor who all counterargue against each other the evidence what should/shouldn't have been done, again the singular bullet

Most of the public lead a very simple life, they accept shlt happens, my oldest friend lost his son aged 22 many years ago in a car crash the driver of the other car was drunk, if only the flipping Gov had banned all alcohol before that day he would still be alive. No that's not how my Friend or his family actually feel, they know banning alcohol would never happen and there is no guarantee he would still be alive even if it had been, shlt happens.

As I said most of the public lead a very simple life, they accept shlt happens, they now this is a once in a lifetime event, the vast majority know mistakes are being made but they know whoever was managing this would be making mistakes, they just want to get back to their normal way of life.

Trouble is, there's mistakes and there's outright incompetence. Ignoring the findings of a major pandemic exercise, driving away large swaths of skilled overseas workers for the preceding 4 years, sitting around w@nking for a month when it's painfully obvious a major epidemic is headed your way and not making any kind of planning and skipping out of COBRA meetings is firmly in the latter category
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 11:03]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:02 - Apr 21 with 2568 viewsmonytowbray

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:53 - Apr 21 by BloomBlue

Weird way of completely changing your position on the job the government are doing without saying "perhaps I got this wrong and my bleating of any Sun Newspaper catchy soundbite in their defence was more damaging than useful" but I guess it's progress.

TWTD never forgets…

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:09 - Apr 21 with 2541 viewsHerbivore

Skim read the blog, I think it's nonsense. Her opinion is no more representative of "the mood of the country" than the journalism she is criticising. It seems to me an attempt to shut down scrutiny at a time when it's very much needed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:11 - Apr 21 with 2530 viewsRadlett_blue

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:25 - Apr 21 by Darth_Koont

We don't want healthcare experts running the country because they might have a one issue agenda. A sensible government listens to experts & then tries to formulate the best possible policy, but a government also has to think of how services are funded & for how long the government can keep paying furloughed staff , as well as the huge effect the lockdown will have on the government's ability to continue to fund public services, given that tax revenue will be collapsing.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:17 - Apr 21 with 2506 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 10:31 - Apr 21 by Steve_M

And on this bit:

Sorry, downvoted by fat fingers.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:18 - Apr 21 with 2506 viewsBloomBlue

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:02 - Apr 21 by monytowbray

Weird way of completely changing your position on the job the government are doing without saying "perhaps I got this wrong and my bleating of any Sun Newspaper catchy soundbite in their defence was more damaging than useful" but I guess it's progress.

I'm not changing my stance on the job the Gov is doing, I think they're doing an excellent job.
Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:21 - Apr 21 with 2489 viewsBlueBadger

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:18 - Apr 21 by BloomBlue

I'm not changing my stance on the job the Gov is doing, I think they're doing an excellent job.

As long as you ignore the PPE failures, the man IN CHARGE OF THE COUNTRY missing disaster planning meetings, the 4 weeks of sitting on their hands, failures in testing, the confusing and wooly approach to shut-downs....
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 11:22]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:28 - Apr 21 with 2447 viewsmonytowbray

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:21 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

As long as you ignore the PPE failures, the man IN CHARGE OF THE COUNTRY missing disaster planning meetings, the 4 weeks of sitting on their hands, failures in testing, the confusing and wooly approach to shut-downs....

H E R D I M M U N I T Y .

Two words this lot should never forget as long as they live.

TWTD never forgets…

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:29 - Apr 21 with 2436 viewsgordon

That's a load of rubbish, though.
Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:30 - Apr 21 with 2435 viewsmonytowbray

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:18 - Apr 21 by BloomBlue

An excellent job of making mistakes as you earlier alluded to?! I hope for your own sake you’re not running your own business or in a high risk role.

TWTD never forgets…

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:35 - Apr 21 with 2411 viewsBloomBlue

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:21 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

That's your opinion that's fine. PPE needs to be looked at I agree. I don't see the need for one person to be at every meeting, you entrust, when I was a manager I trusted my staff to make decisions and manage, you seem to be the type who wouldn't trust your staff. Testing isn't a cure so I don't get too worked up about testing, if I have the symptoms I'll self isolate, I'm more interested in the anti body test. Confusing and woolly, that's you who clearly didn't understand, don't tar us all with the same brush, I put that down as much to people's non self responsibility
Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:41 - Apr 21 with 2389 viewsmonytowbray

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:35 - Apr 21 by BloomBlue

That's your opinion that's fine. PPE needs to be looked at I agree. I don't see the need for one person to be at every meeting, you entrust, when I was a manager I trusted my staff to make decisions and manage, you seem to be the type who wouldn't trust your staff. Testing isn't a cure so I don't get too worked up about testing, if I have the symptoms I'll self isolate, I'm more interested in the anti body test. Confusing and woolly, that's you who clearly didn't understand, don't tar us all with the same brush, I put that down as much to people's non self responsibility

The fact you use the word “cure” as an argument against WHO advice to test (which has LITERALLY helped in the countries doing better than most) shows you have a rather poor understanding of what’s going on and what needs to be achieved both long term and short term.

TWTD never forgets…

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:45 - Apr 21 with 2369 viewsHerbivore

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:35 - Apr 21 by BloomBlue

I'm still not sure if you're a troll or just an idiot. Either way you're best ignored.

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:46 - Apr 21 with 2356 viewsPinewoodblue

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:45 - Apr 21 by Herbivore

I'm still not sure if you're a troll or just an idiot. Either way you're best ignored.

That really is an unnecessary post.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:48 - Apr 21 with 2349 viewsHerbivore

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:46 - Apr 21 by Pinewoodblue

That really is an unnecessary post.

Great contribution.

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:51 - Apr 21 with 2340 viewsBloomBlue

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:41 - Apr 21 by monytowbray

The fact you use the word “cure” as an argument against WHO advice to test (which has LITERALLY helped in the countries doing better than most) shows you have a rather poor understanding of what’s going on and what needs to be achieved both long term and short term.

Or maybe I like to think differently, you clearly think the WHO never make any mistakes and that's fine that's your choice as I said for me the anti body test is the key test and if the Gov doesn't get it sort then I will condemn them for that
Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:52 - Apr 21 with 2336 viewsBloomBlue

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:45 - Apr 21 by Herbivore

why is when someone has a different opinion to you, you like to make it personal?
Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:54 - Apr 21 with 2326 viewsHerbivore

Journalism is missing the mood of the country on 11:52 - Apr 21 by BloomBlue

why is when someone has a different opinion to you, you like to make it personal?

You are very clearly one or the other, probably a bit of both.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024