Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nigel Clough . ..... 23:03 - May 19 with 7526 viewsArnieM

Should we try and get him to come to Town. Would He be a good option IF Lambert was ever likely to be shown the door ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Nigel Clough . ..... on 23:12 - May 19 with 4579 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I think Nigel Clough is a very good manager, has done a great job at Burton and believe he would do so here as well.

BUT, we have a manager, and the likelihood of him and staff being shown the door on a 5 year contract given the current economic hit we are taking, plus the reality of no TV money again in League 1 next year makes it seem highly highly improbable.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Nigel Clough . ..... on 10:48 - May 20 with 4416 viewsbobbyramsey

Nigel Clough . ..... on 23:12 - May 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

I think Nigel Clough is a very good manager, has done a great job at Burton and believe he would do so here as well.

BUT, we have a manager, and the likelihood of him and staff being shown the door on a 5 year contract given the current economic hit we are taking, plus the reality of no TV money again in League 1 next year makes it seem highly highly improbable.

We'll probably take a bigger hit if Lambert remains......?
Nigel Clough . ..... on 10:58 - May 20 with 4392 viewstractordownsouth

I'd take him. Football isn't great but I think he'd take us up.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Nigel Clough . ..... on 11:03 - May 20 with 4382 viewsLibero

I cannot fathom this sudden clamour for Nigel Clough.
Can any one explain it to me?
Nigel Clough . ..... on 11:07 - May 20 with 4374 viewsOldsmoker

Marcus will soften any financial hit we are likely to take from all this.
Not so, other clubs.
We will be stronger next season, not because we have improved but because other clubs have deteriorated. We'll be the best of a bad bunch. Not a great situation but I'll take it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Nigel Clough . ..... on 11:29 - May 20 with 4344 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Nigel Clough . ..... on 10:48 - May 20 by bobbyramsey

We'll probably take a bigger hit if Lambert remains......?

How?

Will just see assets such as Downes / Woolfenden been sold to supposedly fill the void, with £0.00 to be reinvested into the development of the squad.

Nigel Clough . ..... on 12:59 - May 20 with 4273 viewsArnieM

Nigel Clough . ..... on 23:12 - May 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

I hear what you’re saying , but I’m convinced this “ five year “ contract will have numerous Clauses in it . I think Evans is unable to act ( if indeed he can / will) because the season is in limbo . If one of the clauses is contract will continue into next season on proviso that Town have made some kind of progression ( pre agreed ?) eg that Town gain promotion as the obvious number 1, target .... followed by then play off finish as number 2.

If Town do indeed finalise as a 10th places team , I can’t see Evans would keep Lambert on frankly. And tbh I doubt Lambert would expect to keep his job .

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:08 - May 20 with 4249 viewsitfcjoe

He's a very good manager, but for me the next guy needs a proper Ipswich connection

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:13 - May 20 with 4249 viewsbobbyramsey

Nigel Clough . ..... on 11:29 - May 20 by TheTrueBlue1878

How?

Will just see assets such as Downes / Woolfenden been sold to supposedly fill the void, with £0.00 to be reinvested into the development of the squad.

The majority are fed up with Lambo and gates receipts will start to plummet.

There will be clauses in Lambert's contract which will act in Evans favour too...
Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:13 - May 20 with 4248 viewsIpswichKnight

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:08 - May 20 by itfcjoe

He's a very good manager, but for me the next guy needs a proper Ipswich connection

I agree on that I think we need someone who knows and understands the club, not sure who though, does seem that we have a few candidates at the moment but are they experienced enough for ME's taste.
Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:19 - May 20 with 4238 viewsLibero

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:08 - May 20 by itfcjoe

I absolutely agree that the next bloke needs to be an Ipswich man, but what am I missing with Clough? I know he's been working with a crap budget at Burton but they're no great shakes. I don't remember him doing anything of any note bar a cap run once maybe?

I must be missing something? It just appears to me like a man who has done an adequate job becomes available and people have started throwing his name into the hat willy nilly.
Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:20 - May 20 with 4231 viewspointofblue

Because our last two appointments of managers who had proven themselves at League One level worked out so well...

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:49 - May 20 with 4187 viewsClapham_Junction

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:19 - May 20 by Libero

I absolutely agree that the next bloke needs to be an Ipswich man, but what am I missing with Clough? I know he's been working with a crap budget at Burton but they're no great shakes. I don't remember him doing anything of any note bar a cap run once maybe?

I must be missing something? It just appears to me like a man who has done an adequate job becomes available and people have started throwing his name into the hat willy nilly.

The first time I saw Burton Albion play, it was a league match against Sudbury Town (in a season in which Sudbury finished above them in the table). The second was in a league match against Ipswich (in a season where they finished three points behind us).

That's what he's done for them.
Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:51 - May 20 with 4183 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Nigel Clough . ..... on 11:07 - May 20 by Oldsmoker

Marcus will soften any financial hit we are likely to take from all this.
Not so, other clubs.
We will be stronger next season, not because we have improved but because other clubs have deteriorated. We'll be the best of a bad bunch. Not a great situation but I'll take it.

This a very strong point, and i hadn't thought of this. We will definitely have more of an advantage because we'll be able to stand still whilst others can barely afford to function. If we dont go up in that situation we really should give up.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:52 - May 20 with 4172 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nigel Clough . ..... on 11:03 - May 20 by Libero

Sorry, nope. Seems to be not incompetent at one club, but apart from that I'm not getting it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:59 - May 20 with 4169 viewsWD19

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:52 - May 20 by Swansea_Blue

Sorry, nope. Seems to be not incompetent at one club, but apart from that I'm not getting it.

We can only dream of ‘not incompetent’.

TWTD
Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:09 - May 20 with 4156 viewsTerry_Nutkins

No

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:09 - May 20 with 4156 viewsLibero

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:49 - May 20 by Clapham_Junction

The first time I saw Burton Albion play, it was a league match against Sudbury Town (in a season in which Sudbury finished above them in the table). The second was in a league match against Ipswich (in a season where they finished three points behind us).

That's what he's done for them.

Yes, he did do rather well with them back in the late 90's and early 00's.
Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:10 - May 20 with 4146 viewsitfcjoe

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:19 - May 20 by Libero

They have come up from nowhere and their budget is still probably one more suited to the bottom end of L2.

Always tried to play a good brand of football and in reality it's the equivalent of sustaining Stowmarket Town in the 3rd tier without any real budget to speak of.

He has done an excellent job there, truly remarkable but not sure how it would translate

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:14 - May 20 with 4145 viewsLibero

Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:10 - May 20 by itfcjoe

They have come up from nowhere and their budget is still probably one more suited to the bottom end of L2.

Always tried to play a good brand of football and in reality it's the equivalent of sustaining Stowmarket Town in the 3rd tier without any real budget to speak of.

He has done an excellent job there, truly remarkable but not sure how it would translate

Can't have that Stowmarket comparrison.

Stowmarket has a population of around 15k, when you take the surrounding villages into consideration you can probably say it's over 30k.
Burton has a population in itself of over 70k.

I know he did very well in the late 90's and early 00's on the non league scene but that was a long while ago and he's had a couple of big opportunities away from Burton and done nothing. While I don't think he's a bad manager I just don't get why people think he's suited to manage us.
Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:51 - May 20 with 4110 viewsArnieM

Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:10 - May 20 by itfcjoe

I suppose you have to assess his capabilities on the resources he’s got at his disposal . He appears to try to play football on the deck . So if he had better players to utilise ( he would have at Town) then you might think he’d do a good job here . But of course it could be another “ poor decision “ by Town couldn’t it .

Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:54 - May 20 with 4100 viewsClapham_Junction

Nigel Clough . ..... on 14:09 - May 20 by Libero

Yes, he did do rather well with them back in the late 90's and early 00's.

He got them promoted to the Championship in 2016.
Nigel Clough . ..... on 15:40 - May 20 with 4057 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Nigel Clough . ..... on 12:59 - May 20 by ArnieM

I hear what you’re saying , but I’m convinced this “ five year “ contract will have numerous Clauses in it . I think Evans is unable to act ( if indeed he can / will) because the season is in limbo . If one of the clauses is contract will continue into next season on proviso that Town have made some kind of progression ( pre agreed ?) eg that Town gain promotion as the obvious number 1, target .... followed by then play off finish as number 2.

If Town do indeed finalise as a 10th places team , I can’t see Evans would keep Lambert on frankly. And tbh I doubt Lambert would expect to keep his job .

I think there will almost certainly be clauses in there, failure to miss out on promotion etc. But I think any outcome now will give Lambert a legal leg to stand on to say, the season was not finished correctly, thus this clause is void.

I think it is almost certain he will lead us in to the next season, and I am not saying that is the right decision by the way, he has made some bizarre and strange decisions over the last 6/7 months that leaves you really scratching your head.

Nigel Clough . ..... on 21:02 - May 20 with 3907 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nigel Clough . ..... on 13:59 - May 20 by WD19

We can only dream of ‘not incompetent’.

TWTD

Yeah, I need to adjust my expectations. I remember he was discussed on here when he left Burton for the first time and people wanted him and thought he’d go on to big things. He didn’t and ended up back at Burton which seems his best fit. Back then that wasn’t good enough for us. But now he could well be an improvement.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nigel Clough . ..... on 21:40 - May 20 with 3859 viewsHerbivore

Nigel Clough . ..... on 11:03 - May 20 by Libero

I think it's probably because the incumbent is so useless that I could sh!t on the floor and it'd look a more appealing prospect than him to lead us into next season.

My view on Clough is that he's done well at Burton and gets his sides playing nice footy mostly, but he didn't do great when he had a bash at a bigger job at Derby and Sheffield United and that makes me wary. Some managers are cut out to be a big fish in a small pond. Hurst's record pre-Town was close to flawless but he was out of his depth here.

I'd probably take Clough over Lambert though, which says more about how I rate the latter than the former.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024