Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people 08:13 - Jun 6 with 3423 viewsElderGrizzly

Its what Fox News does...

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:25 - Jun 6 with 2756 viewsmikeybloo88

Aren't we allowed to report positive news that affects the current and future livelihoods of many people? It should of course be done in a respectful and professional manner...not seen what you are referring to so hopefully it was
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 8:29]
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:32 - Jun 6 with 2737 viewsElephantintheRoom

A bit of context might be necessary to explain that graph - there are all sorts of reasons to expect the stock market to rise after nationwide rioting....just as cruise holidays and flying are not for the faint hearted at the moment.

I expect sales of UK tear gas to the USA be up at the moment - and the sun to rise tomorrow.

It's kind of stating the obvious.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:36 - Jun 6 with 2726 viewsbluelagos

When you see stuff like this, and Trumps latest comments on George Floyd being pleased about the US job numbers, I assume it's just made up cr*p or parody accounts cos no one can seriously be that stupid/insensitive.

But it seems that it is real. Mashable is pretty muche redundant at the moment.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:36 - Jun 6 with 2723 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:25 - Jun 6 by mikeybloo88

Aren't we allowed to report positive news that affects the current and future livelihoods of many people? It should of course be done in a respectful and professional manner...not seen what you are referring to so hopefully it was

It wasn’t - see the screenshot in the Tweet in the OP

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:43 - Jun 6 with 2703 viewsElderGrizzly

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:25 - Jun 6 by mikeybloo88

The image is in my post which is what i was referring to. The biggest news network in the US comparing stock market performance after the Very public deaths of black men
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:44 - Jun 6 with 2698 viewsElderGrizzly

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:36 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

When you see stuff like this, and Trumps latest comments on George Floyd being pleased about the US job numbers, I assume it's just made up cr*p or parody accounts cos no one can seriously be that stupid/insensitive.

But it seems that it is real. Mashable is pretty muche redundant at the moment.

Yet he it is still 50/50 that he might get another 4 years 🙄
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:55 - Jun 6 with 2660 viewsbluelagos

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:44 - Jun 6 by ElderGrizzly

Yet he it is still 50/50 that he might get another 4 years 🙄

I did a roadtrip (parts of route 66) couple of years back and it opened my eyes why many people voted for him. Semi derelict towns are the norm in many parts of America destroyed by a combination of factors.

Low costs airlines have killed off the need for the locals to drive long distances. Interweb access is incredibly poor in the sticks compared to the cities. And Walmart has literally killed off many small businesses.

These towns are slowly dieing and have been for like 50 years. And both main parties have failed to address that decline. So I can see why some people voted for him.

But to do it twice, when you know how much of a useless twunt he is, would be unforgivable. He is so far short of a statesmen it's embarrassing.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:08 - Jun 6 with 2632 viewsElderGrizzly

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:55 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

I did a roadtrip (parts of route 66) couple of years back and it opened my eyes why many people voted for him. Semi derelict towns are the norm in many parts of America destroyed by a combination of factors.

Low costs airlines have killed off the need for the locals to drive long distances. Interweb access is incredibly poor in the sticks compared to the cities. And Walmart has literally killed off many small businesses.

These towns are slowly dieing and have been for like 50 years. And both main parties have failed to address that decline. So I can see why some people voted for him.

But to do it twice, when you know how much of a useless twunt he is, would be unforgivable. He is so far short of a statesmen it's embarrassing.

I agree, having spent most of the last 2 years to and from the USA for work. Mostly within the political confines of DC, but doing a fair bit in Virginia, Iowa and Alabama too.

I get why first time, but literally if you have your eyes open how can you the second time. Unless 40%+ of the USA are inherently racist and hate foreigners
Login to get fewer ads

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:14 - Jun 6 with 2610 viewsGuthrum

How many people's livelihoods does a short-term and limited increase in overall stock prices affect directly? Especially as it only offsets a fraction of the massive losses earlier in the year.

Pension funds are operating over vastly longer timescales. Share price fluctuations have little impact on day-to-day operations of a business (and the pay of its workers). The only people standing to make money are speculators and traders.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:19 - Jun 6 with 2595 viewsDarth_Koont

It's heartless but it's also a pointless graph and comparison.

Pronouns: He/Him

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:41 - Jun 6 with 2556 viewsmikeybloo88

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:43 - Jun 6 by ElderGrizzly

The image is in my post which is what i was referring to. The biggest news network in the US comparing stock market performance after the Very public deaths of black men

Sorry..have images disabled to get faster connection so don't see Twitter posts or YouTube stuff properly
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:57 - Jun 6 with 2536 viewsmikeybloo88

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:14 - Jun 6 by Guthrum

How many people's livelihoods does a short-term and limited increase in overall stock prices affect directly? Especially as it only offsets a fraction of the massive losses earlier in the year.

Pension funds are operating over vastly longer timescales. Share price fluctuations have little impact on day-to-day operations of a business (and the pay of its workers). The only people standing to make money are speculators and traders.

Short term and limited increase? Perhaps, we'll see...but recovery will start at some point and I don't think it's wrong to report positive financial news. How many are affected directly and immediately? Does it matter? Not everyone who may have investments is a trader or speculator but may rely on investment performance for regular income or need to sell to raise money urgently, so a better price than last week is a good thing for them.
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 12:00 - Jun 6 with 2459 viewsGuthrum

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:57 - Jun 6 by mikeybloo88

Short term and limited increase? Perhaps, we'll see...but recovery will start at some point and I don't think it's wrong to report positive financial news. How many are affected directly and immediately? Does it matter? Not everyone who may have investments is a trader or speculator but may rely on investment performance for regular income or need to sell to raise money urgently, so a better price than last week is a good thing for them.

Recovery will be indicated by sales and manufacturing figures, by GDP growth, not a bump in share prices. Not many people rely on quick and opportunist share sales for any significant proportion of their finances.

Somebody who invests in shares is, by definition, a speculator. Taking a speculative risk on their performance in the hope of making money. It's only become a perjorative term because excessive risk taking or debt leverage has on numerous occasions damaged companies or even whole economies. Traders, of course, take fees from deals and transactions, whether they are positive or not.

In any case, it's not the positive financial news people are taking issue with, but the linking of it with acts of racial violence, many leading to riots. As if shooting Martin Luther King or kneeling on the neck of George Floyd were a good thing for the economy - almost implying it is something to be repeated if you want a quick boost.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 12:11 - Jun 6 with 2438 viewsStokieBlue

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:41 - Jun 6 by mikeybloo88

Sorry..have images disabled to get faster connection so don't see Twitter posts or YouTube stuff properly

That's a superb early-1990's thing to do.

Perhaps time to upgrade that dial-up modem?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 13:20 - Jun 6 with 2361 viewsmikeybloo88

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 12:11 - Jun 6 by StokieBlue

That's a superb early-1990's thing to do.

Perhaps time to upgrade that dial-up modem?

SB

Thing is I often only read this forum when I'm on the bog and I've only got a 1st gen ipad in there... sooo slow, so I disable java. But yes, in the sticks in Lincolnshire sometimes the bb speed isn't the best either
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 13:55 - Jun 6 with 2326 viewsvapour_trail

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 13:20 - Jun 6 by mikeybloo88

Thing is I often only read this forum when I'm on the bog and I've only got a 1st gen ipad in there... sooo slow, so I disable java. But yes, in the sticks in Lincolnshire sometimes the bb speed isn't the best either

You have a toilet ipad?

Flash bastard.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 14:14 - Jun 6 with 2308 viewsElderGrizzly

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 13:55 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

You have a toilet ipad?

Flash bastard.

Yeah, but its a sh*t one...
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:34 - Jun 6 with 2241 viewsBlueBadger

I'll just go and tell Hoppy that I'm going back to my much-loved old job in July in his thread shall I?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:47 - Jun 6 with 2209 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 08:55 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

I agree with a lot of your points but Domestic air travel in the US is actually expensive. America is a very different place in the middle.
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:54 - Jun 6 with 2196 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 09:08 - Jun 6 by ElderGrizzly

I agree, having spent most of the last 2 years to and from the USA for work. Mostly within the political confines of DC, but doing a fair bit in Virginia, Iowa and Alabama too.

I get why first time, but literally if you have your eyes open how can you the second time. Unless 40%+ of the USA are inherently racist and hate foreigners

The Clinton campaign missed the mark in 2016 spending much the last few months prancing around and doing concerts in places they already had locked up. Trump went on the offensive in the places that mattered and won. Won’t happen this time.
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:54 - Jun 6 with 2194 viewsSpruceMoose

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:47 - Jun 6 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I agree with a lot of your points but Domestic air travel in the US is actually expensive. America is a very different place in the middle.

Aye. It becomes more affordable with status and miles if you're a frequent traveler and live near a hub though. Had flights last year from NY to Seattle and another to Wichita last year for about $20 a pop, but there's a reason Greyhound bus still exists (and can still be a crazy experience).

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:55 - Jun 6 with 2190 viewsvapour_trail

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:54 - Jun 6 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The Clinton campaign missed the mark in 2016 spending much the last few months prancing around and doing concerts in places they already had locked up. Trump went on the offensive in the places that mattered and won. Won’t happen this time.

Do you think Biden has the force of personality to defeat him?

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 17:07 - Jun 6 with 2160 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:55 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

No and in four years I can’t believe that’s the best they could wheel out but I think Trump has done enough self destructing (especially this year) for the on the fence crew to say let’s get rid of this man.

If this was a “normal” year and it was plodding along like 2019 I’d probably be giving the edge to Trump. I’m not writing off a massive economic rebound though because COVID is pretty unknown and say what you want about Americans, they are a hard working bunch and itching to get back at it.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 17:08]
Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 17:27 - Jun 6 with 2123 viewsSpruceMoose

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 16:55 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

America loves to vote for old white men, and as a saner white man than Trump that's all a lot of moderate and independents will need to vote for him.

Trump has his cult but he's hit his ceiling with those. Those people alone aren't enough to win him the election. He and Biden both need the moderates and the supposed independents. From talking to people I just feel that they will go to Biden and not Trump. But who knows.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 17:34 - Jun 6 with 2111 viewsvapour_trail

Celebrate the stock market rises after the death of black people on 17:07 - Jun 6 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

No and in four years I can’t believe that’s the best they could wheel out but I think Trump has done enough self destructing (especially this year) for the on the fence crew to say let’s get rid of this man.

If this was a “normal” year and it was plodding along like 2019 I’d probably be giving the edge to Trump. I’m not writing off a massive economic rebound though because COVID is pretty unknown and say what you want about Americans, they are a hard working bunch and itching to get back at it.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 17:08]

Cheers (and the moose).

You guys are closer to the action obvs. I suspect he will ratchet up the rhetoric to unseen levels in the coming months to secure his second term. Think he will do a lot of damage.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024