Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portugal v England 2004 15:40 - Jun 20 with 1231 viewsRomeo4

Anyone else watching it on bbc1? Was England’s best chance for a major trophy in recent years.

We weren’t very good on the night. Rooney going off injured didn’t help, especially when his replacement was Darius Vassell! Why we continued to pick Scholes on the left was a mystery too. Should’ve played in the middle alongside Gerrard.

How good was Ashley Cole by the way!!Truly world class.
Portugal v England 2004 on 15:45 - Jun 20 with 1209 viewsChrisd

That squad and the one in 2002 in Japan and South Korea. A missed opportunity in both cases.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Portugal v England 2004 on 16:27 - Jun 20 with 1148 viewsTractorWood

Euro 96 I think. Not our best set of individuals but good spirited team. Shearer was on fire too.

The 2002 squad was excellent on paper but didn't really work that well when the chips were down.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Portugal v England 2004 on 17:17 - Jun 20 with 1079 viewsFtnfwest

I rewatched the Croatia game the other night and the team then was pretty unbelievable when you look back. Alright Rio was injured or suspended or whatever and sol Campbell played but Cole, terry, Neville, gerrard, Lampard, scholes, beckham, Rooney and Owen wasn’t too shabby. Ok James in goal....*
*footballing comment
Portugal v England 2004 on 17:36 - Jun 20 with 1046 viewsRomeo4

Portugal v England 2004 on 17:17 - Jun 20 by Ftnfwest

I rewatched the Croatia game the other night and the team then was pretty unbelievable when you look back. Alright Rio was injured or suspended or whatever and sol Campbell played but Cole, terry, Neville, gerrard, Lampard, scholes, beckham, Rooney and Owen wasn’t too shabby. Ok James in goal....*
*footballing comment

The first 11 were excellent (with the exception of the goalie) but maybe let down by the rest of the squad. When you look at the quarter final for example Rooney, Scholes and Gerrard were replaced by Vassell, Phil Neville & Hargreaves.
Portugal v England 2004 on 17:45 - Jun 20 with 1040 viewsFtnfwest

Portugal v England 2004 on 15:45 - Jun 20 by Chrisd

That squad and the one in 2002 in Japan and South Korea. A missed opportunity in both cases.

We played a game v Turkey in qualifying for 2004 at the riverside or stadium of light can’t remember, who at the time we’re exceptional (probably top 5 in the world) which I’ve always thought was one of the best, if unheralded, england performances I’ve seen. We withstood a huge amount of pressure but stuck to our game plan and eventually wore them down and won 2-0. Gerrard penalty for the first I seem to remember.
Portugal v England 2004 on 17:52 - Jun 20 with 1033 viewsPlums

My wife went into labour that night, we watched the penalties in hospital.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Portugal v England 2004 on 18:06 - Jun 20 with 1020 viewsclive_baker

Didn't watch it but just had to log in to concur with the Cole comment. He was absolutely phenomenal, not just in 2004 but I can't recall an occasion he ever let England down in 100+ appearances. Absolutely quality footballer both at club and International level. Best left back in the world for a long time IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Portugal v England 2004 on 18:09 - Jun 20 with 1010 viewsjeera

Portugal v England 2004 on 17:52 - Jun 20 by Plums

My wife went into labour that night, we watched the penalties in hospital.

Ha, very committed.

I had a bbq for that game with the flat screen outside in a gazebo set up.

Great evening right up to the penalties.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Portugal v England 2004 on 18:58 - Jun 20 with 957 viewsTrumptonBlue

Town manager on co-commentary.
Portugal v England 2004 on 19:22 - Jun 20 with 939 viewsitfcjoe

Portugal v England 2004 on 18:06 - Jun 20 by clive_baker

Didn't watch it but just had to log in to concur with the Cole comment. He was absolutely phenomenal, not just in 2004 but I can't recall an occasion he ever let England down in 100+ appearances. Absolutely quality footballer both at club and International level. Best left back in the world for a long time IMO.

I was at that game and his battle with Ronaldo was one of the best things I’ve ever seen on a football pitch - was a ridiculously good defensive display, but the one time he got the better of him it mattered

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Portugal v England 2004 on 19:55 - Jun 20 with 904 viewsOldsmoker

Portugal v England 2004 on 18:09 - Jun 20 by jeera

Ha, very committed.

I had a bbq for that game with the flat screen outside in a gazebo set up.

Great evening right up to the penalties.

A flat screen and a gazebo in 2004?
Jeera, we need to talk. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the mo..................

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Portugal v England 2004 on 20:02 - Jun 20 with 884 viewsjeera

Portugal v England 2004 on 19:55 - Jun 20 by Oldsmoker

A flat screen and a gazebo in 2004?
Jeera, we need to talk. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the mo..................

The gazebo was from a mate's shop, so it was a really good price!

And it was a big posh one, wooden with planters in the corners and a proper canvas tarp.

The TV was early flat screen and cost me a small fortune! Early doors Panasonic Viera.

On the plus side it's sitting in front of me now, thankfully hanging on in there and still working.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Portugal v England 2004 on 20:16 - Jun 20 with 857 viewsOldsmoker

Portugal v England 2004 on 20:02 - Jun 20 by jeera

The gazebo was from a mate's shop, so it was a really good price!

And it was a big posh one, wooden with planters in the corners and a proper canvas tarp.

The TV was early flat screen and cost me a small fortune! Early doors Panasonic Viera.

On the plus side it's sitting in front of me now, thankfully hanging on in there and still working.

I got my first flat screen (Sony) 4 years ago for £299.
It was a clearance because "Everyones going Ultra mate so these are cr*p".
The best TV I ever had (before this one) was a Panasonic.
Them and Sony are quality.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Portugal v England 2004 on 20:40 - Jun 20 with 825 viewsvapour_trail

Eng-Brazil was the meeting of the two best teams in that tournament. Unfortunately Ronaldinho did Seaman.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Portugal v England 2004 on 20:52 - Jun 20 with 811 viewsbluelagos

I'd argue we were closest in Italia 90 and Euro 96. On both occasions we were a bigger boot size from winning the semi-final and think the finals were very winnable.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024