Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Didn't take long then.... 19:31 - Oct 7 with 1239 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54457377

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Didn't take long then.... on 19:39 - Oct 7 with 990 viewsStokieBlue

Indeed.

But look at the infection rates - we have gone from 30 or so cases per 100k to 500+ in many locations in just a few weeks at most. Nearly 500 were admitted to hospital on Sunday.

For whatever reason what we are doing isn't working.

It could be schools (although no evidence for this at the moment), could be the weather turning or could be lockdown fatigue and non-compliance.

Might also be something else altogether I haven't considered.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Didn't take long then.... on 19:42 - Oct 7 with 972 viewsgiant_stow

Personally, I'd accept a 2-3 week very tight lockdown as a way of resetting the infection rate, but it really would have to a tight one to be worth it. Empty streets style. Not sure anyone's gonna wear that though.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Didn't take long then.... on 19:45 - Oct 7 with 965 viewsJakeITFC

Didn't take long then.... on 19:42 - Oct 7 by giant_stow

Personally, I'd accept a 2-3 week very tight lockdown as a way of resetting the infection rate, but it really would have to a tight one to be worth it. Empty streets style. Not sure anyone's gonna wear that though.

Cat is out of the bag now it feels.

Not trying to score political points but it really does feel that the Cummings episode was a turning point in public compliance for this.
Didn't take long then.... on 19:47 - Oct 7 with 945 viewsStokieBlue

Didn't take long then.... on 19:45 - Oct 7 by JakeITFC

Not trying to score political points but it really does feel that the Cummings episode was a turning point in public compliance for this.

I agree but at some point people have to stop using "a bigger boy did it so I did it" excuse and take some personal responsibility.

SB

Didn't take long then.... on 19:47 - Oct 7 with 946 viewsgtsb1966

I think the goodwill of a huge number of people has gone now due to the incompetence of this government during this crisis. I'm not saying that it is the right attitude but that's the way it is now.
Didn't take long then.... on 19:48 - Oct 7 with 931 viewsSpruceMoose

Didn't take long then.... on 19:47 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

I agree but at some point people have to stop using "a bigger boy did it so I did it" excuse and take some personal responsibility.

SB

Same with 'I was only following guidance!' when it was as clear then as it is now that the guidance provided was sh!t.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Didn't take long then.... on 19:49 - Oct 7 with 925 viewsBlueBadger

Didn't take long then.... on 19:47 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

SB

But the utter lack of leadership and personal responsibility taken by the government is exactly the sort of role-modelling you don't need.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Didn't take long then.... on 19:56 - Oct 7 with 887 viewsgiant_stow

Didn't take long then.... on 19:49 - Oct 7 by BlueBadger

But the utter lack of leadership and personal responsibility taken by the government is exactly the sort of role-modelling you don't need.

A govt of national unity might just carry the weight to do that. I know its pie in the sky, before anyone scoffs, but it does feel like we're at that level of crisis.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Didn't take long then.... on 19:59 - Oct 7 with 868 viewsfactual_blue

Move all those with symptoms to norfolk. Seal the border. Nothing at all in, nothing at all out.

Broadcast it all live after about a week, when the food runs out.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 20:31]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Didn't take long then.... on 19:59 - Oct 7 with 860 viewsSpruceMoose

Didn't take long then.... on 19:59 - Oct 7 by factual_blue

Move all those with symptoms to norfolk. Seal the border. Nothing at all in, nothing at all out.

Broadcast it all live after about a week, when the food runs out.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 20:31]

Could we use Sealand?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Didn't take long then.... on 20:00 - Oct 7 with 865 viewshomer_123

Didn't take long then.... on 19:39 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

Indeed.

But look at the infection rates - we have gone from 30 or so cases per 100k to 500+ in many locations in just a few weeks at most. Nearly 500 were admitted to hospital on Sunday.

It could be schools (although no evidence for this at the moment), could be the weather turning or could be lockdown fatigue and non-compliance.

SB

Personally, I would have preferred to have seen a more stringent set of restrictions imposed much sooner.

Very evident that current local lockdowns (in the main) haven't worked.

Didn't take long then.... on 20:01 - Oct 7 with 857 viewsBlueBadger

Didn't take long then.... on 19:56 - Oct 7 by giant_stow

A govt of national unity might just carry the weight to do that. I know its pie in the sky, before anyone scoffs, but it does feel like we're at that level of crisis.

I think that's what's needed, frankly. If nothing else, because there might be some actually competent people who give a sh*t on the opposition benches.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Didn't take long then.... on 20:02 - Oct 7 with 853 viewshomer_123

Didn't take long then.... on 19:45 - Oct 7 by JakeITFC

But even the scientists no longer agree...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54442386

Didn't take long then.... on 20:02 - Oct 7 with 843 viewsfactual_blue

Didn't take long then.... on 19:59 - Oct 7 by SpruceMoose

Could we use Sealand?

That's reserved for laurence fox.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Didn't take long then.... on 20:02 - Oct 7 with 846 viewshomer_123

Didn't take long then.... on 20:01 - Oct 7 by BlueBadger

I think that's what's needed, frankly. If nothing else, because there might be some actually competent people who give a sh*t on the opposition benches.

Just posted this above.

Put the politics to one side and we still have a huge issue - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54442386

Didn't take long then.... on 20:04 - Oct 7 with 838 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Indeed.

SB

There may be no evidence of it but it would be a very brave person to state reopening schools and leaving them to decide for themselves how to manage the risk will not have at least played a big part.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Didn't take long then.... on 20:08 - Oct 7 with 813 viewsgiant_stow

Didn't take long then.... on 20:02 - Oct 7 by homer_123

Just posted this above.

Put the politics to one side and we still have a huge issue - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54442386

I've got a lot of sympathy with their viewpoint - no doubt the consequences of lockdowns are huge and tricky to quantify. But for me, that's an argument to support an ulta-tight national, but importantly, short lockdown (with others implemented as and when).

Didn't take long then.... on 20:10 - Oct 7 with 800 viewsgtsb1966

The more articles that people read like that the more the people go against the government's advice. I personally agree with the article but there will be many people who don't. At the start of this pandemic I think this country was very much of one voice but sadly today that is no longer the case. The country is very quickly becoming divided.
Didn't take long then.... on 20:12 - Oct 7 with 791 viewsStokieBlue

Didn't take long then.... on 20:04 - Oct 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

There may be no evidence of it but it would be a very brave person to state reopening schools and leaving them to decide for themselves how to manage the risk will not have at least played a big part.

Depends on the age group. There seems to be growing evidence that smaller children aren't huge vectors of the virus but older children with larger lungs are more likely to be a vector (thinking 14+ here).

You are of course right that the guidance given to schools was up to the government's usual level of competence.

SB

Didn't take long then.... on 20:13 - Oct 7 with 796 viewsElderGrizzly

19th of October had been discussed today, for 2 weeks. Sturgeon has forced his hand
Didn't take long then.... on 20:15 - Oct 7 with 770 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To be fair those are mainly US, Oxford epidemiology and mental health experts. All of those have been anti-lockdown all through. The Oxford one loudly proclaimed herd immunity early on.

Interestingly Cambridge is the university with a reputation for scientific excellence while Oxford's reputation is more for the arts.

Didn't take long then.... on 20:16 - Oct 7 with 769 viewsStokieBlue

Didn't take long then.... on 20:13 - Oct 7 by ElderGrizzly

19th of October had been discussed today, for 2 weeks. Sturgeon has forced his hand

Given the rate of increase in infections won't it be a bit late by then?

Also the infectious period can be longer than two weeks.

SB

Didn't take long then.... on 20:18 - Oct 7 with 753 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Didn't take long then.... on 20:12 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

Depends on the age group. There seems to be growing evidence that smaller children aren't huge vectors of the virus but older children with larger lungs are more likely to be a vector (thinking 14+ here).

You are of course right that the guidance given to schools was up to the government's usual level of competence.

SB

That's an interesting observation. In my limited experience the absence rate with covid-like symptoms is far higher in the older age groups.

Didn't take long then.... on 20:18 - Oct 7 with 756 viewsSwansea_Blue

Indeed.

SB

If I was to hazard a guess, I’d say the measures simply don’t go far enough. The lockdown worked in the spring, but it was much, much closer to being a lockdown. What we have now is essentially don’t leave your county/area or meet up with more than 5 other people, but go to work, go to school, go to uni, go to the pub, go to any shop, have non-essential workmen in your home, go to the pub again, go to the cinema, etc...

Could be wrong, it could be the weather for example, but the much looser measures seem the most obvious reason. Lack of care/compliance probably comes into it too. A lot of people now seem to have lost their fear (not a bad thing in itself) but are also not taking things like social distancing and masks seriously.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Didn't take long then.... on 20:18 - Oct 7 with 761 viewsElderGrizzly

Didn't take long then.... on 20:16 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

Given the rate of increase in infections won't it be a bit late by then?

Also the infectious period can be longer than two weeks.

SB

Yes. It's a political date, not a scientific one.

The Government was told to do the 'circuit break' 2 weeks ago but they ignored their medical professionals
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024