Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen 13:16 - Nov 10 with 1094 viewsFrimleyBlue

"ones a championship club and ones a league 1 club.

Talking about us and Luton.

Really sucks that's what young players now seem

The days of Ipswich being a big club a soon to be forgotten

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:19 - Nov 10 with 1045 viewsIllinoisblue

It is very depressing; years of neglect and mismanagement have left us far far behind the likes of Preston, Milwall, Luton, Barnsley... it’s an utter disgrace what’s happened to our football club.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:21 - Nov 10 with 1028 viewsJ2BLUE

Newsflash: It's already being forgotten. When was the last time you heard anyone under fifty mention us as a big club? Our reputation with older fans is based on the 1980s. Soon we'll be seen as as a completely irrelevant club by the vast majority of football fans. Like Reading, the battenberg of the football world.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:24 - Nov 10 with 999 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:21 - Nov 10 by J2BLUE

Newsflash: It's already being forgotten. When was the last time you heard anyone under fifty mention us as a big club? Our reputation with older fans is based on the 1980s. Soon we'll be seen as as a completely irrelevant club by the vast majority of football fans. Like Reading, the battenberg of the football world.

Agreed. Sadly.

I don't live near Ipswich, but when I was growing up in the 90's (hundreds of miles from Ipswich) if I mentioned to friends parents that I support Ipswich, their faces would light up and they would mention all the greats.

If you mention Ipswich now, the reaction is just 'meh'...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:26 - Nov 10 with 990 viewshomer_123

A small point of order is needed here.

We have never been a 'big' club. We've punched well and truly above our weight at times (and for long periods) but we have never been a big club.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:34 - Nov 10 with 935 viewsPlums

It’s dreadful. Every time I hear Five Live talk about ‘Championship scores’ I listen eagerly and then the cold, wet haddock of realisation hits me in the chops. They aren’t talking about us.

To quote Renton from Trainspotting, ‘it’s a sh1te state of affairs’

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:38 - Nov 10 with 925 viewsclive_baker

Not sure we've ever really been a truly 'big' club. I think that's why ITFC is so well liked among many of the older football supporters, because a small, sleepy market town like Ipswich punched above it's weight both domestically and at a European level, doing so the 'right way'. Everything about the club from it's ownership to its players and supporters was class, dignified and high quality. We flirted with revisiting that in the late 90's and early 00's but lets be honest, for the best part of the past 2 decades we've largely been guff. It's debatable if we're even the biggest club historically in our division. I think Sunderland would have something to say about that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:39 - Nov 10 with 924 viewshype313

Having said that, Luton could double his wages and one walk around the place and Kenilworth Road and I would imagine he would be straight down the A14.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 14:17 - Nov 10 with 819 viewsPendejo

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:38 - Nov 10 by clive_baker

Not sure we've ever really been a truly 'big' club. I think that's why ITFC is so well liked among many of the older football supporters, because a small, sleepy market town like Ipswich punched above it's weight both domestically and at a European level, doing so the 'right way'. Everything about the club from it's ownership to its players and supporters was class, dignified and high quality. We flirted with revisiting that in the late 90's and early 00's but lets be honest, for the best part of the past 2 decades we've largely been guff. It's debatable if we're even the biggest club historically in our division. I think Sunderland would have something to say about that.

I keep saying it...

We are the biggest little club.

As defined by a complicated combination of town v city, relative history, and anything else I can think of to support my point etc.

Sunderland being the smallest big club as defined by size of their stadium and current league stature.

Since the Robson years clubs have flirted with taking our crown; Watford, Southampton, Blackburn Rovers and Leicester City.

None have done so, yet. Though Leicester look capable of toppling us.

For the sake of clarity... Nottingham Forest are counted as a big club (my game my rules!)

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 14:17 - Nov 10 with 821 viewsArnoldMoorhen

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:39 - Nov 10 by hype313

Having said that, Luton could double his wages and one walk around the place and Kenilworth Road and I would imagine he would be straight down the A14.

Not if he's got a SatNav.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Luton+Town+Football+Club,+1+Maple+Rd+E,+Luton+
What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 14:47 - Nov 10 with 736 viewsArnoldMoorhen

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 14:17 - Nov 10 by Pendejo

I keep saying it...

We are the biggest little club.

As defined by a complicated combination of town v city, relative history, and anything else I can think of to support my point etc.

Sunderland being the smallest big club as defined by size of their stadium and current league stature.

Since the Robson years clubs have flirted with taking our crown; Watford, Southampton, Blackburn Rovers and Leicester City.

None have done so, yet. Though Leicester look capable of toppling us.

For the sake of clarity... Nottingham Forest are counted as a big club (my game my rules!)

Leicester are comfortably bigger than us. So are Southampton. We can argue about Blackburn, and I'd be confident in making a case for us being bigger than Watford, all things considered.

Out of interest: which category do Birmingham City fall into? Or Wolves?
What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 15:37 - Nov 10 with 632 viewsFtnfwest

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 13:38 - Nov 10 by clive_baker

Hang on hang on, Pompey will have 300,000 milling around in the streets of Plymouth next Monday night I'll have you know
What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 15:45 - Nov 10 with 608 viewsPJH

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 15:37 - Nov 10 by Ftnfwest

Hang on hang on, Pompey will have 300,000 milling around in the streets of Plymouth next Monday night I'll have you know

Only if hundreds of coaches do not break down.
What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 16:23 - Nov 10 with 554 viewsFtnfwest

What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 14:47 - Nov 10 by ArnoldMoorhen

Leicester are comfortably bigger than us. So are Southampton. We can argue about Blackburn, and I'd be confident in making a case for us being bigger than Watford, all things considered.

Out of interest: which category do Birmingham City fall into? Or Wolves?

financially Leicester are bigger than most clubs in Europe....and therefore the world
What a horrible sounding sentence I've just seen on 16:28 - Nov 10 with 548 viewsmonty_radio

Agree with most of that, but have just been re-reading The Men who Made the Town and noticed frequent mentions of the relative size of our attendances. Even as an Amateur club in the Thirties, gates of 20000+ were not unheard of, and, having waited so long to enter pro football in Div 3 (S) we proceeded to create a new attendance record for the league.

None of that makes as "a big club", but I agree with Homer that we've for long been a small club with a big roar and an impact that has for 60 years commanded attention. It's in the nature of our age that History is bunk, but not for those who have it. You can read further in that book where the board sat down and said "what next?". How is it have we come to have no board, no generals and no plan?
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 17:07]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024