Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quite a sobering read 17:25 - Feb 18 with 1602 viewshype313

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/suffolk/ipswich.html

Some forgotten gems in that list.

Often think about the Albion Mills
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 17:27]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Quite a sobering read on 17:34 - Feb 18 with 1286 viewstractorboy1978

i refuse to go in the Tescos that was The Heathlands as a matter of principle.
Quite a sobering read on 17:34 - Feb 18 with 1279 viewshype313

Quite a sobering read on 17:34 - Feb 18 by tractorboy1978

Whereas I can finally go into the Sainsburys that was the Golden Key.

Quite a sobering read on 17:35 - Feb 18 with 1279 viewsDebsyAngel

Reading that makes me feel so sad - all those lovely pubs, and how many more to be added to that list?

I loved the Albion Mills - spent a lot of my time in there watching various friends' bands in the basement.
Quite a sobering read on 19:32 - Feb 18 with 1173 viewsLord_Lucan

But it was a dirty pub. The toilets were so bad that people used to piss outside in the car park.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Quite a sobering read on 19:36 - Feb 18 with 1158 viewsJ2BLUE

Quite a sobering read on 19:32 - Feb 18 by Lord_Lucan

But it was a dirty pub. The toilets were so bad that people used to piss outside in the car park.

Great pub.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Quite a sobering read on 19:37 - Feb 18 with 1146 views26_Paz

That list is going to get a lot longer very soon, unfortunately.

The Paz Man

Quite a sobering read on 19:43 - Feb 18 with 1130 viewsBarcaBlue

Quite a sobering read on 17:35 - Feb 18 by DebsyAngel

Reading that makes me feel so sad - all those lovely pubs, and how many more to be added to that list?

I loved the Albion Mills - spent a lot of my time in there watching various friends' bands in the basement.

I think I spent most of my youth in that basement, I'm still in touch with friends who played there and others like me watched them through the heavy fag smoke. Halcyon days.
Quite a sobering read on 19:50 - Feb 18 with 1117 viewsmrfixit426

I remember watching Scotland v England Euro 2000 playoff in there. Scholes with 2 goals. Was sick as a dog after 2 pints. Still, good memories.
Login to get fewer ads

Quite a sobering read on 20:04 - Feb 18 with 1090 viewsazuremerlangus

My dad still has a 'Stolen from Albion Mills' glass.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Quite a sobering read on 20:07 - Feb 18 with 1086 viewsSteve_M

I went through that list a couple of years back, a lot from my youth and I’m only mid-40s.

The equivalence lost for Camden is remarkable, must have been 50% pubs back in the day (almost).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Quite a sobering read on 20:11 - Feb 18 with 1069 viewshype313

Quite a sobering read on 20:07 - Feb 18 by Steve_M

I went through that list a couple of years back, a lot from my youth and I’m only mid-40s.

The equivalence lost for Camden is remarkable, must have been 50% pubs back in the day (almost).

Must be a good few years old now as it states the Sporting Farmer now reopened as the Drum and Monkey.

As others have said, after the past year, quite a few more will be added, sadly.

Quite a sobering read on 20:17 - Feb 18 with 1057 viewsLord_Lucan

Quite a sobering read on 19:50 - Feb 18 by mrfixit426

I remember watching Scotland v England Euro 2000 playoff in there. Scholes with 2 goals. Was sick as a dog after 2 pints. Still, good memories.

I remember back in the 80's and possibly 90's they used to have a decent disco in there of a Thursday.

I was never a great fan of the place but I remember watching a town game in there once and my mate had some weird thing about Fabian Wilnis - he hated him. Anyhoo - Fabian scored a late winner, I think it was either against Coventry or Man C. I'm thinking Coventry. After he scored we all just jumped on him like a load of kids.

Oh and I remember going to Flash's wake in there.

Put your hands up Flash friends! Lovely bloke but a liability abroad, always losing things and falling in fountains.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 20:22]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Quite a sobering read on 20:24 - Feb 18 with 1036 viewsDebsyAngel

Quite a sobering read on 19:43 - Feb 18 by BarcaBlue

I think I spent most of my youth in that basement, I'm still in touch with friends who played there and others like me watched them through the heavy fag smoke. Halcyon days.

Remember a Sunday night in there in 1988 when S-Express was number one. Put it on the jukebox, not once, not twice, but SEVEN times in a row - I was not a popular person with the few that were in there! Followed by a journey downhill in a shopping trolley that had been discarded! Those were the days!
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 20:25]
Quite a sobering read on 21:41 - Feb 18 with 967 viewsBlueBadger

We're down to 1 pub(plus social club) here in Glemsford. As recently as 10 years ago there was five(plus social club).

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Quite a sobering read on 21:44 - Feb 18 with 958 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm just finding out that it's turned into a Tesco. Tragic.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Quite a sobering read on 08:18 - Feb 19 with 822 viewshype313

Quite a sobering read on 21:44 - Feb 18 by Swansea_Blue

I'm just finding out that it's turned into a Tesco. Tragic.

The beers better though

Quite a sobering read on 09:26 - Feb 19 with 775 viewsnoggin

I loved the Halfway House when I lived in Camden. Proper old pub and great for people watching. My local was The Victory on Albany Street.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Quite a sobering read on 10:56 - Feb 19 with 738 viewsSteve_M

Quite a sobering read on 09:26 - Feb 19 by noggin

I loved the Halfway House when I lived in Camden. Proper old pub and great for people watching. My local was The Victory on Albany Street.

I had to look up the Halfway House, at least that's still there now. Not sure I've ever been in there.

https://pubwiki.co.uk/LondonPubs/StPancras/HalfwayHouse.shtml

The Victory is now gone though, replaced by flats to accommodate those moved by HS2. For some reason they have been nearly finished for about two years.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Quite a sobering read on 11:00 - Feb 19 with 733 viewsnoggin

Quite a sobering read on 10:56 - Feb 19 by Steve_M

I had to look up the Halfway House, at least that's still there now. Not sure I've ever been in there.

https://pubwiki.co.uk/LondonPubs/StPancras/HalfwayHouse.shtml

The Victory is now gone though, replaced by flats to accommodate those moved by HS2. For some reason they have been nearly finished for about two years.

I remember when they threw Steve, the landlord, out before knocking the pub down. He was sleeping in his Rolls Royce according to the news stories. I doubt he was because he had his mum's flat on the Regents Park estate.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Quite a sobering read on 11:07 - Feb 19 with 720 viewsWeWereZombies

Quite a sobering read on 17:34 - Feb 18 by hype313

Whereas I can finally go into the Sainsburys that was the Golden Key.

The Golden Key was alright, never went in there often but a decent drink when I did.

[edit] However, the redevelopment of The Safe Harbour as an Aldi could not have come soon enough. If ever a pub had a misleading name that was it.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 11:16]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Quite a sobering read on 12:23 - Feb 19 with 689 viewsLord_Lucan

Quite a sobering read on 11:07 - Feb 19 by WeWereZombies

The Golden Key was alright, never went in there often but a decent drink when I did.

[edit] However, the redevelopment of The Safe Harbour as an Aldi could not have come soon enough. If ever a pub had a misleading name that was it.

The landlord of the Golden Key was so fat that when he fell ill they had to crane him out of the upstairs window.

Quite a sobering read on 12:24 - Feb 19 with 684 viewsWeWereZombies

Quite a sobering read on 12:23 - Feb 19 by Lord_Lucan

The landlord of the Golden Key was so fat that when he fell ill they had to crane him out of the upstairs window.

Does that make it a bad pub...or a good pub?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Quite a sobering read on 12:34 - Feb 19 with 662 viewsborge

Aside from the obvious sadness at the loss of so many pubs, two things about this make me sad.
1) There are so many pubs without pictures on that list. What a shame if the only historical record we have is written word.
2) Looking at some of the old pictures (as with any old pictures of Ipswich) it makes me angry at the destruction of Ipswich's medieval and then Victorian architecture by planners in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Appreciate that in many instances some form of urban renewal was required, but the planners did so much damage to Ipswich as a town by destroying many aspects its historical character.
Quite a sobering read on 12:35 - Feb 19 with 662 viewsKieran_Knows

Quite a sobering read on 11:07 - Feb 19 by WeWereZombies

The Safe Harbour on Meredith Road ... although it closed in 1990 as per the article, did the building stand there for some time? I was born in 92, but I seem to recall that building standing there for some time, unless I'm mistaking it for another pub!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Quite a sobering read on 12:37 - Feb 19 with 654 viewsKieran_Knows

Will have to message them, they're missing off the Thomas Eldred which was on Cedarcroft Road.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024