Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? 19:00 - Mar 14 with 1919 viewsmonytowbray

He was crap I thought, now that stat sounds like a striker we'd snap up.

[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 19:00]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:03 - Mar 14 with 1679 viewsWD19

67 goals in 124 appearances for Swindon. I thought he would be a goal machine for us.

So mostly he was the victim of expectations.....
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:09 - Mar 14 with 1634 viewsJ2BLUE

I remember one match we lumped it at his head for 90 minutes. It took him 87 to win a header. Everyone cheered.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:09 - Mar 14 with 1633 viewsMattinLondon

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:03 - Mar 14 by WD19

67 goals in 124 appearances for Swindon. I thought he would be a goal machine for us.

Didn’t Royal play him as a target man when he was much more of a Fox-in-the-box type of player?
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:25 - Mar 14 with 1560 viewsbritbiker

He was awful with his head.
Didn't seem to be able to jump. I remember we offloaded him to Luton after a bad injury and he seemed to just get one injury after another with them.

At the time it appeared a major scoop getting a prolific scorer. Bit like when we got Norwood. Hoping the later will still turn out to be a good signing.
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:27 - Mar 14 with 1558 viewsdominiciawful

According to Wikipedia, Freddie Sears has 34 goals in 213 appearances (including from the bench) in all competitions, James Norwood 17 in 53 and Kayden Jackson 16 in 89.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:58 - Mar 14 with 1449 viewsSwansea_Blue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:03 - Mar 14 by WD19

Expectations based off the back of a YouTube highlights reel if I remember rightly. Talk about daft.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:01 - Mar 14 with 1436 viewstownblue

Exciting signing at the time - totally misused and unfairly treated by the fans.
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:01 - Mar 14 with 1434 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:58 - Mar 14 by Swansea_Blue

Expectations based off the back of a YouTube highlights reel if I remember rightly. Talk about daft.

Very much doubt he was even featured on YouTube back when he signed. I doubt YouTube was even mainstream back then.

I think the excitement was due to his excellent goal record and his pedigree from being a product of the Chelsea youth system.

He was pretty highly rated when we signed him, it just didn't work out.

Are you thinking of Priskin or someone re the YouTube highlights?
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 20:02]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:03 - Mar 14 with 1422 viewsStNeotsBlue

One issue for him was all of his goals came away from Portman Road so a majority had never seen him score. At the Leeds away game he got a brace and ran them ragged.

But overall was a disappointing signing who was unlucky with injuries.
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:19 - Mar 14 with 1368 viewsHipsterectomy

I saw one of his goals at thhe 2-1 loss to QPR (from memory)

We seemed to try and use him like Shefki, despite him having none of the attributes.

I had a lot of optimism that season going in with Parkin who was a prolific goalscorer, Forster who was old by then but still great at our level, Jamie Peters who seemed wanted by every club in Europe at one point and a decent majority of the team that finished 3rd the season before

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:34 - Mar 14 with 1305 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 19:09 - Mar 14 by J2BLUE

I remember one match we lumped it at his head for 90 minutes. It took him 87 to win a header. Everyone cheered.

This is the thing. Statistics do not tell the whole story. Parkin would have had far better service (i.e. more chances) than our current strikers get. He also appeared to never attempt to head the ball (despite given plenty of aerial service).

As a matter of contrast to Parkin's 5 in 22,

Norwood has 16 in 46,
Jackson 15 in 83 (often played wide and many more of those as sub than Parkin's will have been),
Sears 32 in 198 (often played wide and many more of those as sub than Parkin's will have been),

So, even without factoring in less service, Parkin's return is not as good as our current strikers (when played as strikers).

And, of course, the most bizarre twist was that when we signed the highly promising Tamas Priskin a little later, his name was an anagram of "It's Sam Parkin"! A very apt description.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:36 - Mar 14 with 1293 viewsWD19

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:34 - Mar 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is the thing. Statistics do not tell the whole story. Parkin would have had far better service (i.e. more chances) than our current strikers get. He also appeared to never attempt to head the ball (despite given plenty of aerial service).

As a matter of contrast to Parkin's 5 in 22,

Norwood has 16 in 46,
Jackson 15 in 83 (often played wide and many more of those as sub than Parkin's will have been),
Sears 32 in 198 (often played wide and many more of those as sub than Parkin's will have been),

So, even without factoring in less service, Parkin's return is not as good as our current strikers (when played as strikers).

And, of course, the most bizarre twist was that when we signed the highly promising Tamas Priskin a little later, his name was an anagram of "It's Sam Parkin"! A very apt description.

Priskin was many things......but never, ever ‘highly promising’.
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:37 - Mar 14 with 1283 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:36 - Mar 14 by WD19

Priskin was many things......but never, ever ‘highly promising’.

You obviously never saw the YouTube clips when he signed.

He arrived with as much, if not more, expectation as the goal machine Parkin.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 20:38]

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:41 - Mar 14 with 1260 viewsWD19

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:37 - Mar 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

You obviously never saw the YouTube clips when he signed.

He arrived with as much, if not more, expectation as the goal machine Parkin.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 20:38]

I am guessing I might be in a minority here because I saw a fair amount of him playing for Watford.

So I always thought of him as a very middle-of-the-road player we had massively overpaid for.
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:42 - Mar 14 with 1252 viewsSwansea_Blue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:01 - Mar 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Very much doubt he was even featured on YouTube back when he signed. I doubt YouTube was even mainstream back then.

I think the excitement was due to his excellent goal record and his pedigree from being a product of the Chelsea youth system.

Pretty sure he was on YouTube back then; it's is a TWTD classic. Obviously people jumped on his stats too, and together that was the vast majority of the 'knowledge' about him.

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:43 - Mar 14 with 1246 viewsSwansea_Blue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:41 - Mar 14 by WD19

I am guessing I might be in a minority here because I saw a fair amount of him playing for Watford.

So I always thought of him as a very middle-of-the-road player we had massively overpaid for.

Ignore me, I hadn't realised you'd move on to Priskin. He was excellent at Watford. Rodgers was impressed and took him down here on loan with the Swans (he lasted about 3 games, just didn't fit the style at the time).

The lad has had an excellent career in fairness. He's better than a 1 in 4 player at both international and domestic level. Over 60 caps for Hungary too, so not too shabby at all.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 20:49]

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:45 - Mar 14 with 1230 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:43 - Mar 14 by Swansea_Blue

Ignore me, I hadn't realised you'd move on to Priskin. He was excellent at Watford. Rodgers was impressed and took him down here on loan with the Swans (he lasted about 3 games, just didn't fit the style at the time).

The lad has had an excellent career in fairness. He's better than a 1 in 4 player at both international and domestic level. Over 60 caps for Hungary too, so not too shabby at all.

Tamas Priskin. Keep up!

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:48 - Mar 14 with 1220 viewsWD19

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:43 - Mar 14 by Swansea_Blue

Priskin only turned up to about 1 in 5 for them, so wasn’t much better.
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:50 - Mar 14 with 1207 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:48 - Mar 14 by WD19

Priskin only turned up to about 1 in 5 for them, so wasn’t much better.

Remarkably similar situations. The potential to be very good goal scorers with good service into their feet. Priskin had lots of tricks and could beat a man. However, we kept using them like a target man and neither was any good in the air.

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 21:28 - Mar 14 with 1141 viewsbluewark

I was watching This Country the other night on I player and had to smile to myself as Sam Parking name was mention.
Two young West Country folk were talking about someone leaving their village .
They said it was like seeing Sam Parkin leave Swindon to go to Ipswich Town. They hated him leaving but he was leaving for better things
That was a good piss take by the writers of this show
Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 23:12 - Mar 14 with 1007 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:42 - Mar 14 by Swansea_Blue

Pretty sure he was on YouTube back then; it's is a TWTD classic. Obviously people jumped on his stats too, and together that was the vast majority of the 'knowledge' about him.

No chance did Parkin have a highlights reel on YouTube.

It was hardly even 'a thing' when he signed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 23:16 - Mar 14 with 999 viewsbournemouthblue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 20:01 - Mar 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Nope, there was 100% a YouTube highlights reel of him looking like the next Marcus Stewart

YouTube was very much a 'thing', it's been a fairly big deal for quite some time

The video disappeared for sometime but it looks like someone has readded it

[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 23:22]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 23:22 - Mar 14 with 970 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 23:16 - Mar 14 by bournemouthblue

Nope, there was 100% a YouTube highlights reel of him looking like the next Marcus Stewart

YouTube was very much a 'thing', it's been a fairly big deal for quite some time

The video disappeared for sometime but it looks like someone has readded it

[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 23:22]

YouTube was founded in 2005 and Parkin moved in 2005, so if there was a video YouTube was very much in its infancy at the time.

Maybe it owes its success to Sam Parkin.

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 23:24 - Mar 14 with 961 viewsbournemouthblue

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 23:22 - Mar 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

YouTube was founded in 2005 and Parkin moved in 2005, so if there was a video YouTube was very much in its infancy at the time.

Maybe it owes its success to Sam Parkin.

This is true but there was definitely a video

It soon became very successful

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Parkin scored 5 goals in 22 for us? on 23:26 - Mar 14 with 956 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Here we are in the middle of March and our 2 top league goal-scorers both have five goals. Altogether just seven of our players have scored more than 1 league goal.

Does anyone know how many of our goals have been og? They could be competing as leading scorer for the season...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024