Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry 18:13 - Mar 15 with 1893 viewswkj

Evans did something right in Paul Cook and he may finally be a manager we can be confident in - that is more important - we have the best part of it in place.

Yes, you may lament that Evans is the biggest problem we have and the sickness we needed to solve - but we have a proactive manager that believes in the chairman and trusts him - that is far more security than some teams get to enjoy.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:17 - Mar 15 with 1860 viewsblueislander

I am glad it didn’t happen. The proposed new owners looked distinctly dodgy to me. Yanks owning British football clubs has not been universally successful.
Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:27 - Mar 15 with 1815 viewshaynes_toe1

People assuming Cook is a success story before its happened is like history repeating itself with pretty much every manager we have had under Evans and we've had something like a 1 out of 7 success rate.
Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:30 - Mar 15 with 1803 viewsPositivelyPortman

Sadly, they’ve all ‘believed in the chairman’ initially and then after a couple of transfer windows, the wheels fall off. They then find out that whilst they are being very well remunerated, there’s no other dosh available. Just ask MM, Hurst and Lambert.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:33 - Mar 15 with 1791 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:17 - Mar 15 by blueislander

I am glad it didn’t happen. The proposed new owners looked distinctly dodgy to me. Yanks owning British football clubs has not been universally successful.

Looks like they couldn't even scrape the cash together to get it over the line!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:34 - Mar 15 with 1786 viewschrismakin

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:27 - Mar 15 by haynes_toe1

People assuming Cook is a success story before its happened is like history repeating itself with pretty much every manager we have had under Evans and we've had something like a 1 out of 7 success rate.

I see this quite about especially in the last 5 minutes.

But isnt that what everyone is doing about the take over assuming it would have been wonderful.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:40 - Mar 15 with 1758 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:34 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

But isnt that what everyone is doing about the take over assuming it would have been wonderful.

This.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:44 - Mar 15 with 1741 viewswkj

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:27 - Mar 15 by haynes_toe1

Whenever the new manager is installed, there has to be positivity or else we will drive ourselves around the bend.

However, we've also assumed the consortium would be more successful than ME too, where as there is much less tangible evidence to be excited about it.

DGMW - I want a new dawn in the upper pinnacle of ITFC's management too, badly - but we can not let that overshadow the fact that Cook is a very good manager in the peak of his achievements - rather than unproven manager or once successful managers with nothing on their CV to be confident in of late.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 18:45]

Crybaby

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:46 - Mar 15 with 1719 viewstractorlad01

I think we’re in very good hands under Cook.
Login to get fewer ads

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:52 - Mar 15 with 1696 viewsParky

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:17 - Mar 15 by blueislander

I think the main thing that I would’ve liked from the takeover was the talk of having a proper footballing structure at the club; a proper football CEO overseeing the transfers and running of the club.

I saw a lot of people on social media assuming if the takeover did happen, it would mean automatic, guaranteed success, which we know may not have been the case.

Yes, Evans has been at the helm for our decline, but he has also always paid our players, our staff on time and kept the club running. Yes, that might be a low bar; but there’s a lot of poor run football clubs at the moment.

FWIW, I wasn’t opposed to the takeover and I think it is coming to and end for Evans, however, we’ve got a new exciting manager, we sit 6th in the League with an outside chance of making the play-off’s, I’m excited to see how the season pans out and to hopefully get back to PR!
Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:56 - Mar 15 with 1678 viewsghostofescobar

The flip side is he may be the cake, but Evans won’t give him the ingredients needed. Agreed, it’s more security than some, and also a lot less successful than many, many others.

GhostOfEscobar

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 19:09 - Mar 15 with 1640 viewschrismakin

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:56 - Mar 15 by ghostofescobar

The flip side is he may be the cake, but Evans won’t give him the ingredients needed. Agreed, it’s more security than some, and also a lot less successful than many, many others.

Cook as all other managers have had. Will have enough funds to do a stable job as ipswich manager. It will be up to Paul to manage those already at the club and actually improve players

All we hear is money money money. How about actually seeing an improvement of those already here complimented by a few new additions.

You don't need big transfer fees to make a team work.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 19:17 - Mar 15 with 1621 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed.

Getting in a new manager who can galvanize the squad is the most important step by far. And even though his record has been poor overall, Evans has shown that the club can do better (better results, fighting at the right end of the table and crowds coming back) with the right manager in place.

There’s been a fair bit of bad judgement but also a lot of bad luck too. And Evans’s patience coupled with the right manager could still work to our benefit.

The most important thing (that a new owner/owners wouldn’t help with anyway) is to have a strong end of season with the existing players – and then see where we are in May. That’s the time to look more long term.

Pronouns: He/Him

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 19:47 - Mar 15 with 1568 viewshaynes_toe1

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:34 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

I agree, that's equally stupid.

But how far the club has fallen makes the ownership gamble one worth making, for most.
Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 20:08 - Mar 15 with 1517 viewsmonty_radio

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:33 - Mar 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Unless when they got to the line they found it had been moved a bit further away?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 23:29 - Mar 15 with 1377 viewswkj

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:56 - Mar 15 by ghostofescobar

Well that just ends up becoming a battenberg and no one wants that.

Crybaby

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 07:30 - Mar 16 with 1247 viewsblueconscience

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 19:09 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

Cook as all other managers have had. Will have enough funds to do a stable job as ipswich manager. It will be up to Paul to manage those already at the club and actually improve players

All we hear is money money money. How about actually seeing an improvement of those already here complimented by a few new additions.

You don't need big transfer fees to make a team work.

“ as all other managers have had. Will have enough funds to do a stable job as ipswich manager.”

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 07:53 - Mar 16 with 1230 viewsportmanking

This. This is the analogy right here.

Evans' ingredients are guaranteed to leave Cook in a soggy, dishevelled mess, just like all our other tried and trusted 'cakes' in the past.

How long until you say those ingredients are simply not the right recipe for the cake?
Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:02 - Mar 16 with 1213 viewswkj

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 07:53 - Mar 16 by portmanking

This. This is the analogy right here.

Evans' ingredients are guaranteed to leave Cook in a soggy, dishevelled mess, just like all our other tried and trusted 'cakes' in the past.

How long until you say those ingredients are simply not the right recipe for the cake?

I am very critical of Evans and am/was as hopeful for a new dawn as anyone else - I am just concerned that Paul Cook may not get as much support as we can give him if we focus too heavily on the consortium takeover that has as much potential to be worse for the club as it does beneficial.

I do think having Cook in place is a bigger and more valuable piece of the puzzle - or the time being.

Crybaby

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:06 - Mar 16 with 1204 viewsportmanking

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:02 - Mar 16 by wkj

I am very critical of Evans and am/was as hopeful for a new dawn as anyone else - I am just concerned that Paul Cook may not get as much support as we can give him if we focus too heavily on the consortium takeover that has as much potential to be worse for the club as it does beneficial.

I do think having Cook in place is a bigger and more valuable piece of the puzzle - or the time being.

It's just Groundhog Day though, isn't it? Come on.

How many managers are we going to say "yep, he's the right one, he can turn this around. He can show Evans the error of his ways". Then proceed to watch them self-destruct.

No-one is saying that Evans is a crook or a shyster. His heart has been in the right place. He's just not cut out for owning and single-handedly steering a football club. He needs to accept that he's failed and set aside his bruised ego for the good of the club.
Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:10 - Mar 16 with 1195 viewswkj

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:06 - Mar 16 by portmanking

It's just Groundhog Day though, isn't it? Come on.

How many managers are we going to say "yep, he's the right one, he can turn this around. He can show Evans the error of his ways". Then proceed to watch them self-destruct.

No-one is saying that Evans is a crook or a shyster. His heart has been in the right place. He's just not cut out for owning and single-handedly steering a football club. He needs to accept that he's failed and set aside his bruised ego for the good of the club.

Fundamentally I agree with you- However, the main point of my commentary is worry about the potential for people to not get behind Cook and the team because of news circulating around nothing to do with his management of the club.

Crybaby

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:12 - Mar 16 with 1186 viewsportmanking

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:10 - Mar 16 by wkj

Fundamentally I agree with you- However, the main point of my commentary is worry about the potential for people to not get behind Cook and the team because of news circulating around nothing to do with his management of the club.

I think most sane fans can see that Cook has the potential to be a great manager for this club. Unfortunately, we're all far too long in the tooth now to believe he'll get the necessary funding and infrastructure to help Ipswich Town to be smarter and more agile going forward though.
Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:29 - Mar 16 with 1160 viewsDarth_Koont

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:02 - Mar 16 by wkj

“For the time being” is exactly right.

The next couple of months on the pitch is as critical as anything. The takeover and/or complaint about Evans can be largely parked – sure, we can talk about that but at least no-one should be thinking about escalating an anti-Evans protest in the wake of this news.

Let’s see where Cook gets us in May when he’s left to get on with the job and just concentrate on the players.

Pronouns: He/Him

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 08:33 - Mar 16 with 1151 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Having Paul Cook is the cake, the takeover was/is the cherry on 18:33 - Mar 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

You don't know that in any way.

IF this thing has fallen over and I say IF because, the only source I've seen so far is an ITFC account on twitter that protects its tweets, and has a history of arguing with Stu Watson.

So, to my mind, not a particularly legitimate source.

However IF correct, then we are doomed to life as a league one yo-yo club. Great.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024