Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ 02:08 - Apr 21 with 3524 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Players like Tabb, the Hunt brothers, Paul Anderson, Berra and Smith. They weren’t the best players in the league. But they never once disrespected the shirt. There was never times when I wondered ‘do they care?’

How much I’d give for our current crop to even have half the heart, battle and resilience of that team. No matter how Paul Cook has started, the current group of players ought to be absolutely disgusted at themselves for the lack of pride they have in both their work and our once-great football club. The end of the season can’t come fast enough. Get rid of them all other than Flynn.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 2:48]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 06:47 - Apr 21 with 2685 viewsfredbarber

Not sure it was anyone of those players they were long gone that was mainly Chambers and Skuse towards the end of MM reign that had that tag.
Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 06:48 - Apr 21 with 2685 viewsbobbyramsey

He's not "all that" though is he?

Hell be off anyway....
Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 07:20 - Apr 21 with 2582 viewsBluefish

Do you mean mocked Super Mick players? Hmm I wonder which part of the fan base mocked Super Mick....

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 07:29 - Apr 21 with 2539 viewschicoazul

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 07:20 - Apr 21 by Bluefish

Do you mean mocked Super Mick players? Hmm I wonder which part of the fan base mocked Super Mick....

Lot of people need to take a long hard look at themselves, which they won’t.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 07:55 - Apr 21 with 2444 viewsBluefish

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 07:29 - Apr 21 by chicoazul

Lot of people need to take a long hard look at themselves, which they won’t.

Will they all start threads like this?

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 07:56 - Apr 21 with 2449 viewsSteve_M

Well, quite. Listening to Paul Anderson on co-commentary last night his respect for those players and his bemusement at what we have become was vey obvious.

I thought his analysis was good too, comments about how many players we had going into the box when in attacking positions (very few) and how deep we were playing, added nicely to Brenner's commentary.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 08:26 - Apr 21 with 2350 viewsArnoldMoorhen

McCarthy dumping the Hunts and Anderson, and abandoning the high press, are what changed us from being a team I loved watching into a negative, turgid, over-cautious crew who would attempt to wearily paint their way into a one-nil lead and then let us watch it dry for the next 60 minutes.
Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 08:30 - Apr 21 with 2305 viewsStewart27

Why use a bang average part of our history as the barometer?

You could have gone back 20 years ago to when we were good.

Dare I say 40 years ago to when we were world class.

I wasn’t a happy town fan 5 or so years ago. Just happier than I am now. Which obviously doesn’t say much.
Login to get fewer ads

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 08:43 - Apr 21 with 2259 viewsKropotkin123

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 08:30 - Apr 21 by Stewart27

I wasn’t a happy town fan 5 or so years ago. Just happier than I am now. Which obviously doesn’t say much.

Exactly. Under Burley we managed to play attractive football, bring on youth players and compete year on year at the top of the second tier, despite regularly having to sell our best players.

I don't comprehend why there is this insistence not to strive for better than MM. It is clear he is better than what has come since. It is clear he had positive attributes. But he also had negative ones.

If we had a better owner, we could have pushed on from the foundation of good players he had accumulated.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 09:20 - Apr 21 with 2200 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 08:30 - Apr 21 by Stewart27

Where have I done that?

Just comparing the players lack of pride in the shirt compared to those of only a few years ago

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 09:29 - Apr 21 with 2174 viewsGuthrum

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 08:26 - Apr 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

McCarthy dumping the Hunts and Anderson, and abandoning the high press, are what changed us from being a team I loved watching into a negative, turgid, over-cautious crew who would attempt to wearily paint their way into a one-nil lead and then let us watch it dry for the next 60 minutes.

The Hunts retired, we sold Mings and the replacements - Fraser, notably - were unable to stay fit.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 09:37 - Apr 21 with 2148 viewstractorshark

To be fair the analogy works.
He’s comparing players from the same Marcus Evans regime.
Different times under Robson and Burley.
Tabb and Anderson were wholehearted and, as a team, we were actually more successful with them in it than we were when the likes of Fraser and Lawrence replaced them.
Obviously not saying Fraser and Lawrence weren’t better players or more pleasing on the eye.
Just the likes of Tabb and Anderson gave everything. And, yes, wishing some of our current crop would take a leaf out of their book is not asking for the world.
Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 10:24 - Apr 21 with 2080 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 09:37 - Apr 21 by tractorshark

To be fair the analogy works.
He’s comparing players from the same Marcus Evans regime.
Different times under Robson and Burley.
Tabb and Anderson were wholehearted and, as a team, we were actually more successful with them in it than we were when the likes of Fraser and Lawrence replaced them.
Obviously not saying Fraser and Lawrence weren’t better players or more pleasing on the eye.
Just the likes of Tabb and Anderson gave everything. And, yes, wishing some of our current crop would take a leaf out of their book is not asking for the world.

Precisely

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 10:50 - Apr 21 with 2024 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 09:29 - Apr 21 by Guthrum

The Hunts retired, we sold Mings and the replacements - Fraser, notably - were unable to stay fit.

Stephen Hunt didn't "retire" out of Ipswich. He was on tv as a pundit a few weeks into the next season begging one of his fellow pundits (a manager, I can't remember who) to give him a go "Do you need a winger?"

Mings was sold and was replaced by Knudsen, and Mick went from high press to two solid banks of 4, with us playing on the break. Up to that point first Cresswell and then Mings had been the extremely quick cover defender which had enabled us to play high press. Knudsen wasn't quick enough to do this job, and nor were any of our other defenders.

So the strategy changed so that we would be the team who suckered others and hit them on the break. Fraser, Williams, Cellina and Lawrence were brought in to enable that, as you say injuries thwarted the strategy.

The problem with sitting deep with two banks of 4 was that we were perceived as one of the big teams in the Championship under Mick, and many teams were quite content to also play negatively against us, especially at Portman Road. Which then rendered the threat on the break less effective.

Mick McCarthy knows a lot more about football than I do, and his approach post the Play Off defeat may have been the most likely one to see us competing with the resources available. But boy, was it dull. Really, really dull. Whereas Stephen Hunt chasing defenders like a Jack Russell on the edge of their box and then laying it off to Murphy was great fun to watch.

I was bemused that nobody came in for Stephen Hunt, and that Anderson had to drop down a League having been the top assist-maker that season.
Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 10:59 - Apr 21 with 1999 viewswkj

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 10:50 - Apr 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

Stephen Hunt didn't "retire" out of Ipswich. He was on tv as a pundit a few weeks into the next season begging one of his fellow pundits (a manager, I can't remember who) to give him a go "Do you need a winger?"

Mings was sold and was replaced by Knudsen, and Mick went from high press to two solid banks of 4, with us playing on the break. Up to that point first Cresswell and then Mings had been the extremely quick cover defender which had enabled us to play high press. Knudsen wasn't quick enough to do this job, and nor were any of our other defenders.

So the strategy changed so that we would be the team who suckered others and hit them on the break. Fraser, Williams, Cellina and Lawrence were brought in to enable that, as you say injuries thwarted the strategy.

The problem with sitting deep with two banks of 4 was that we were perceived as one of the big teams in the Championship under Mick, and many teams were quite content to also play negatively against us, especially at Portman Road. Which then rendered the threat on the break less effective.

Mick McCarthy knows a lot more about football than I do, and his approach post the Play Off defeat may have been the most likely one to see us competing with the resources available. But boy, was it dull. Really, really dull. Whereas Stephen Hunt chasing defenders like a Jack Russell on the edge of their box and then laying it off to Murphy was great fun to watch.

I was bemused that nobody came in for Stephen Hunt, and that Anderson had to drop down a League having been the top assist-maker that season.

Wingers were very much the bane of Mick's time here. Had ME been in a position to invest heavily in this department for some quality mainstays - we'd be in a much better boat than we are now.

Mick's football did become boring, and his effectiveness dipped at the end, the loss against Lincoln in the cup was when I had to admit I wanted change.

While change is what we got, and we ended up where we are now - I would be a liar if I said I didn't want change after all. Evans made a bad call in Hurst, we'd likely have been better with Jack Ross - the other hot favourite (even though his time in the EFL wasn't much better than Hurst's he'd at least not have gutted our squad one would think)

Needless to say, we are where we are - and the Mick days look like pastures greener- but hey ho, we have a way out now - and I hope Cook's transfers in the summer give us and him the credit that is deserved for ITFC.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:04 - Apr 21 with 1984 viewsjudespiveyg

Anderson was alright, and scored in the play offs, but I'll still never get over the fact we swapped JET for him.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 11:04]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:26 - Apr 21 with 1909 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 10:50 - Apr 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

Your point about Knudsen is abit revisionist because Knudsen was regularly one of the top assisters for our team in his seasons here.

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:28 - Apr 21 with 1898 viewswkj

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:26 - Apr 21 by The_Romford_Blue

Your point about Knudsen is abit revisionist because Knudsen was regularly one of the top assisters for our team in his seasons here.

Not really revisionist though is it?

Knudsen didn't have the attributes to play the pressing game as well as the others he mentioned. It doesn't mean he didn't have qualities elsewhere - but he would never have been able to play the press - arguably the best football during Mick's time here.

Crybaby

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:31 - Apr 21 with 1878 viewsBluefish

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:28 - Apr 21 by wkj

Not really revisionist though is it?

Knudsen didn't have the attributes to play the pressing game as well as the others he mentioned. It doesn't mean he didn't have qualities elsewhere - but he would never have been able to play the press - arguably the best football during Mick's time here.

Didn't have the attributes to play a pressing game? What do you mean? His main strength was his engine and ability to tear around, he was called mad dog.

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:32 - Apr 21 with 1875 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:26 - Apr 21 by The_Romford_Blue

I'm not anti-Knudsen, just saying that he wasn't a like-for-like replacement for Mings and couldn't cover breaks as well. McCarthy changed how we played. Knudsen wasn't signed to play Full Back in the same way that Mings did, the whole team played deeper.

If he overlapped on the left the whole defence would shift across and Chambers would stay deeper on the right, and vice versa. In the high press system, Hunt on the left and Anderson on the right would play much higher up the pitch and Mings and Chambers would overlap them (and therefore put in crosses) less often. Hence Anderson making so many assists.
Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:34 - Apr 21 with 1870 viewsElephantintheRoom

Two wrongs don't make a right. McCarthy's short term pragmatism was an awful watch and did enormous long term damage to the club.

It's not such a crime to want something better as a football fan - particularly if you remember something far, far better

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:35 - Apr 21 with 1862 viewsTractorCam

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:32 - Apr 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

I'm not anti-Knudsen, just saying that he wasn't a like-for-like replacement for Mings and couldn't cover breaks as well. McCarthy changed how we played. Knudsen wasn't signed to play Full Back in the same way that Mings did, the whole team played deeper.

If he overlapped on the left the whole defence would shift across and Chambers would stay deeper on the right, and vice versa. In the high press system, Hunt on the left and Anderson on the right would play much higher up the pitch and Mings and Chambers would overlap them (and therefore put in crosses) less often. Hence Anderson making so many assists.

That's a very good observation.

I guess the question is, why did we change the system which got us into the play offs? I've forgotten a lot of 15/16 as that was very poor, despite the 7th place finish.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 11:37]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:36 - Apr 21 with 1858 viewswkj

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:31 - Apr 21 by Bluefish

Didn't have the attributes to play a pressing game? What do you mean? His main strength was his engine and ability to tear around, he was called mad dog.

And how often did he do that and over commit without getting back into position in time to defend? Quite often as I recall.

Again, not a bad player, I would love to see him back here in a flash - but he wasn't able to do what others did before him. Given the fact the ancestors of his position were Mings and Cresswell - that is a lot of quality he couldn't live up to at the time.

Crybaby

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:38 - Apr 21 with 1835 viewswkj

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:35 - Apr 21 by TractorCam

That's a very good observation.

I guess the question is, why did we change the system which got us into the play offs? I've forgotten a lot of 15/16 as that was very poor, despite the 7th place finish.

I can almost pin point to a single game. We start a season strong, really really strong. We were attacking and it was great. Then Reading tonked us away because we were caught on the break repeatedly - Mick seemed to change the system there and then.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 11:38]

Crybaby

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:42 - Apr 21 with 1802 viewsTractorCam

Remember a few years ago.. some of our fanbase mocked the ‘proper blokes’ on 11:38 - Apr 21 by wkj

I can almost pin point to a single game. We start a season strong, really really strong. We were attacking and it was great. Then Reading tonked us away because we were caught on the break repeatedly - Mick seemed to change the system there and then.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 11:38]

Ah yes that's the one, you've definitely refreshed my memory there! I was moaning for that entire season after so many poor matches as to why we changed system after that one defeat to Reading. Mick seemed to panic, but the games before that we were dominating.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024