Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Point made in an article set me thinking 11:52 - Jun 26 with 1911 viewsGuthrum

It's pretty disgraceful that England, with all the footballing resources available to us, has only won the World Cup once and never even made the Final of the Euros. Compare that record with Germany, Italy, France and Spain. The Dutch have played in more World Cup finals than us and won the Euros.

What has gone wrong?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Point made in an article set me thinking on 11:58 - Jun 26 with 1866 viewsITFCBlues

Accepting mediocrity. There's talk that GS will sign a new contract with England, even if The Germans beat us on Tuesday. Nice easy run to a WC semi beating no one of note has seemingly given him alot of slack. How can we even talk of a new contract at this stage?

Need to get the U21s right as well. Boothroyd has destroyed them and again, as a GS mate, given far too long in that job.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:06 - Jun 26 with 1807 viewsMoriarty

Point made in an article set me thinking on 11:58 - Jun 26 by ITFCBlues

Accepting mediocrity. There's talk that GS will sign a new contract with England, even if The Germans beat us on Tuesday. Nice easy run to a WC semi beating no one of note has seemingly given him alot of slack. How can we even talk of a new contract at this stage?

Need to get the U21s right as well. Boothroyd has destroyed them and again, as a GS mate, given far too long in that job.

The answer may lie within your post, specifically your observation “nice easy run”. That sort of disrespect for other international teams is not the stuff of champions and usually doesn’t morph into anything other than fear when you meet teams whom you consider to be the big boys.

fka omuircheartaigh

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:23 - Jun 26 with 1745 viewsIllinoisblue

England players just aren’t collectively good enough. Mentally weak also when it matters.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:27 - Jun 26 with 1728 viewsBasuco

The number of English players in our top division has been falling each year, there is an ever decreasing pool of players to select.
Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:30 - Jun 26 with 1715 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A lot of it's not moving with the times. We invented it then sat back on our laurels. Other nations caught up by trying new systems, techniques, fitness and mentality ideas, which meant they eventually overtook us.

A mixture of laziness and arrogance, basically.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:32 - Jun 26 with 1703 viewsBlueBadger

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:30 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

A lot of it's not moving with the times. We invented it then sat back on our laurels. Other nations caught up by trying new systems, techniques, fitness and mentality ideas, which meant they eventually overtook us.

A mixture of laziness and arrogance, basically.

Basically, England are the Ipswich Town of international football.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:32 - Jun 26 with 1698 viewsfooters

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:27 - Jun 26 by Basuco

The number of English players in our top division has been falling each year, there is an ever decreasing pool of players to select.

This. It's a lot to do with the Prem. And when you look at the top clubs in other countries they'll often have the nucleus of their national team in just one or two clubs, so they play and train together week in, week out. Whereas the top English players always seem to be far more scattered throughout the Prem.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:40 - Jun 26 with 1661 viewschrismakin

All the other countries move with the times.

You compare 3g pitches available across those counties and ours it is embarrassing.

We also have clubs nicking 12 year olds from other clubs to stick them in their own academies to loan them out 50 times to various clubs rather than allow them to develop properly through the right levels.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:41 - Jun 26 with 1669 viewsBluearmy71

I believe that the Press has a lot to do with it also, the added pressure of all the negativity from them over the years aimed at England squads and those individuals with in, how can you possibly have a focused positive attitude and a winning mentality when as soon as squads have been announced they are shot down as failures or not good enough to play for England, I'll be honest and say that there have been a few players that imo haven't been good enough!!

Then there is good old fashioned luck, If Maradona was penalised for his hand ball I think we would have gone on to win the world cup that year but history is history, what can you do eh!!
Point made in an article set me thinking (n/t) on 12:47 - Jun 26 with 1641 viewsAlexitfc2

[Post edited 14 Jan 2022 19:30]
Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:48 - Jun 26 with 1638 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:55 - Jun 26 with 1600 viewsFtnfwest

Pre premier league as others have said it was our refusal to keep up with times in terms of coaching, tactics, fitness etc and an obsession with club above country in all instances. After the prem existed it’s still a club centric approach but for more financial reasons, and it’s led to a greater percentage of foreign owners, foreign managers and foreign players minimising rather home grown alternatives.
Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:57 - Jun 26 with 1604 viewshomer_123

Whilst we might have invented the game and took it around the world.

Just about every other country has then improved it and we never have. Be it the Hungarians inches 50s, the Dutch in the 70s, the Russians 70s and 80s. Then more recently the Brazilians taking their skill and mixing it with power and strength.

Then look at Beilsa and Chile. And recently Spain.

For as much as football is our nations game....we neither truly innovate nor do have the structure or wherewithal of say the Germans.

And finally....as a nation...we don't like winners.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Point made in an article set me thinking on 13:07 - Jun 26 with 1554 viewsFtnfwest

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:57 - Jun 26 by homer_123

Just about every other country has then improved it and we never have. Be it the Hungarians inches 50s, the Dutch in the 70s, the Russians 70s and 80s. Then more recently the Brazilians taking their skill and mixing it with power and strength.

For as much as football is our nations game....we neither truly innovate nor do have the structure or wherewithal of say the Germans.

Very true, and of course we’re divided into four which although not the main reason, doesn’t help
Point made in an article set me thinking on 13:07 - Jun 26 with 1549 viewsfooters

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:57 - Jun 26 by homer_123

"we neither truly innovate"

This is very true. It's such an old boys club set-up too. Can anyone actually believe we appointed Sam fcking Allardyce as England manager? What kind of statement of intent is that?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Point made in an article set me thinking on 13:07 - Jun 26 with 1551 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:48 - Jun 26 by BryanPlug

BBC news reporter at the England training camp the other day said they were practicing penalties.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Point made in an article set me thinking on 14:22 - Jun 26 with 1418 viewsBluemer

Point made in an article set me thinking on 12:41 - Jun 26 by Bluearmy71

I believe that the Press has a lot to do with it also, the added pressure of all the negativity from them over the years aimed at England squads and those individuals with in, how can you possibly have a focused positive attitude and a winning mentality when as soon as squads have been announced they are shot down as failures or not good enough to play for England, I'll be honest and say that there have been a few players that imo haven't been good enough!!

Then there is good old fashioned luck, If Maradona was penalised for his hand ball I think we would have gone on to win the world cup that year but history is history, what can you do eh!!

Likewise if Gaza had been an inch closer he'd have scored the golden goal against Germany in 96.
Point made in an article set me thinking on 14:49 - Jun 26 with 1358 viewsBryanPlug

Point made in an article set me thinking on 13:07 - Jun 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

BBC news reporter at the England training camp the other day said they were practicing penalties.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Point made in an article set me thinking on 15:10 - Jun 26 with 1307 viewsSE1blue

Agree with so much of what has been said already but I’d also add that the England managers job is a bit like entering Eurovision Song Contest - the best acts aren’t interested in the gig.

The press, the money to be had in the Premier League and the pressure of being successful are massive turn offs in modern football.

I think the fitness and the technical ability in the England team has improved massively since the 80s but we lack the final piece.

And I like Gareth Southgate, I think he could win us something, I just think we might need more to win stuff consistently.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Point made in an article set me thinking on 16:14 - Jun 26 with 1194 viewsOldboy

To much hype about the Premier League. They play with quality foreigners who make them look better than they actually are. Put that with the managers insistence of picking the best players, not the best team and a scared to lose mentality and we stood no chance in the past. This tournament however has opened up for us and I see a final against Belgium coming.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024