Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… 06:50 - Jun 29 with 2994 viewsElderGrizzly

The vitriol below this original post is ridiculous.

I’m a senior civil servant and since lockdown we have worked more hours than ever before.
My team is spread across the world, with only 1 person in London.
We’ll continue to support what is right for the employee

The number of falsehoods.
“They enjoy the gravy train of furlough” - you can’t be furloughed as a civil servant.
“Get back to work full-time” - we haven’t stopped working since lockdown

All spun by a certain right-leaning, mis-informed political agenda of course
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:03 - Jun 29 with 1521 viewsBlueBadger

If it makes you feel better, most of them there will be back to being racist on Twitter within 6 months, if figures are anything to go by:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/gb-news-andrew-neil-viewing-figures-welsh-lan

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:10 - Jun 29 with 1492 views26_Paz

I do think civil servants should be back in the office more than once a week. Why should they be any different to the private sector?

The Paz Man

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:12 - Jun 29 with 1485 viewswkj

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:10 - Jun 29 by 26_Paz

I do think civil servants should be back in the office more than once a week. Why should they be any different to the private sector?

Why though? If the work is getting done to a high standard as the OP is stating - does returning to the office enhance that or something?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:16 - Jun 29 with 1480 viewsElderGrizzly

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:03 - Jun 29 by BlueBadger

If it makes you feel better, most of them there will be back to being racist on Twitter within 6 months, if figures are anything to go by:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/gb-news-andrew-neil-viewing-figures-welsh-lan

Appreciate it is an echo chamber for the uninformed, but the amount of ‘sane’ people who still appear to buy into the idea that working from home is some kind of ‘doss’

Depressing
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:16 - Jun 29 with 1471 views26_Paz

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:12 - Jun 29 by wkj

Why though? If the work is getting done to a high standard as the OP is stating - does returning to the office enhance that or something?

My personal view is that people work more effectively when together in one place. I also think working from home works fine when everyone is at home. Once some are in and some are not it’s going to be more difficult. At the moment everything is done online. Once some people are in the office they will start to talk about things, hold meetings and may not reach out to those not present. That will be a big challenge of hybrid working. If you’ve got 5 people who you would have invited to a meeting and 4 of them are in the office are you really going to go to the hassle of setting it up online for that one person?

The Paz Man

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:19 - Jun 29 with 1462 viewsElderGrizzly

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:10 - Jun 29 by 26_Paz

We’re not.

I know plenty of private sector companies who will never ask employees to return. Companies will do what is best for the bottom line.

We’ll go in as and when required, not to meet some outdated idea that asking thousands to commute to a single place means they are working harder
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:20 - Jun 29 with 1459 viewswkj

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:16 - Jun 29 by 26_Paz

My personal view is that people work more effectively when together in one place. I also think working from home works fine when everyone is at home. Once some are in and some are not it’s going to be more difficult. At the moment everything is done online. Once some people are in the office they will start to talk about things, hold meetings and may not reach out to those not present. That will be a big challenge of hybrid working. If you’ve got 5 people who you would have invited to a meeting and 4 of them are in the office are you really going to go to the hassle of setting it up online for that one person?

That is highly skewed by personal experience. I can tell you from many of the conversations I have engaged in with my London commuting friends is that productivity is through the roof. No stress from travel before the workday, no sudden meetings in the middle of a strong work block, a much clearer standard of work set forth with design briefs, and much less 'can you just quicklies'.

The undertone of civil servants being in any way lazy or inadequate is very far off the mark and too many people believe that working from home is about dossing.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 7:22]

Crybaby

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:23 - Jun 29 with 1445 viewsElderGrizzly

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:16 - Jun 29 by 26_Paz

To your last point, simply yes. It is what we do now with my team who are spread round the world.

Some are in offices, some are not.

It won’t suit all industries and sectors, which is why these lazy articles are intentionally divisive to pick on those ‘lazy civil servants’
Login to get fewer ads

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:27 - Jun 29 with 1428 viewswkj

If you’ve got 5 people who you would have invited to a meeting and 4 of them are in the office are you really going to go to the hassle of setting it up online for that one person?

Big big big yes... RND for telepresence is massive across many industries right now and was long before Covid 19 gripped the world.

Crybaby

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:29 - Jun 29 with 1416 viewsElderGrizzly

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:20 - Jun 29 by wkj

That is highly skewed by personal experience. I can tell you from many of the conversations I have engaged in with my London commuting friends is that productivity is through the roof. No stress from travel before the workday, no sudden meetings in the middle of a strong work block, a much clearer standard of work set forth with design briefs, and much less 'can you just quicklies'.

The undertone of civil servants being in any way lazy or inadequate is very far off the mark and too many people believe that working from home is about dossing.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 7:22]

Exactly this. When I went to the London office, i’d be on a train at 6am and get back at 8pm.

Now I probably work 12 hour days, but actually work not lose the time commuting and less tired into the bargain.

I travel for work and I do miss that aspect, but we can do most of what we do virtually.
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:39 - Jun 29 with 1362 viewsStokieBlue

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:23 - Jun 29 by ElderGrizzly

To your last point, simply yes. It is what we do now with my team who are spread round the world.

Some are in offices, some are not.

It won’t suit all industries and sectors, which is why these lazy articles are intentionally divisive to pick on those ‘lazy civil servants’

I don't think the lazy narrative is right and you're right to call it out. You shouldn't worry what GB News are saying.

Ancedotally, by far the most productive meeting I've had in 18 months was with everyone in a room in the office. Some things are just too complicated to be discussed and thought out on Zoom in my opinion.

That's why hybrid working should be the way forward, not fully in the office and not fully at home although it does of course depend on the role.

There is a small push to have us back in 100% of the time although I think that'll be agreed but then people will hybrid work anyway. It's not like people didn't WFH before the pandemic.

There is an issue that some have moved crazily far from offices thinking they will never go back in and that's simply unlikely to be the case for the majority.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:44 - Jun 29 with 1345 viewsElderGrizzly

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:39 - Jun 29 by StokieBlue

I don't think the lazy narrative is right and you're right to call it out. You shouldn't worry what GB News are saying.

Ancedotally, by far the most productive meeting I've had in 18 months was with everyone in a room in the office. Some things are just too complicated to be discussed and thought out on Zoom in my opinion.

That's why hybrid working should be the way forward, not fully in the office and not fully at home although it does of course depend on the role.

There is a small push to have us back in 100% of the time although I think that'll be agreed but then people will hybrid work anyway. It's not like people didn't WFH before the pandemic.

There is an issue that some have moved crazily far from offices thinking they will never go back in and that's simply unlikely to be the case for the majority.

SB

I’m not concerned what GB News itself is saying, it is more they appear to represent the view of a certain sector of society and a growing % of Tory MPs who listen to this divisive nonsense.
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:47 - Jun 29 with 1337 viewsStokieBlue

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:44 - Jun 29 by ElderGrizzly

I’m not concerned what GB News itself is saying, it is more they appear to represent the view of a certain sector of society and a growing % of Tory MPs who listen to this divisive nonsense.

Given the viewing figures it seems to be a much smaller section of society than I feared.

Although there is always the possibility that the people who agree with them simply aren't the type to watch the news.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:57 - Jun 29 with 1298 viewsDanTheMan

Hello private sector worker here.

Pre-pandemic our entire business was WFH. We have an optional office in London a few people can use if they wish. Once the pandemic is over we will have regional monthly meetups as we have workers all over this country and also in Spain.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:17 - Jun 29 with 1217 viewsdavblue

just dial them in via a conference call. It's no different to someone being in the states, Spain, India wherever. We managed to get on that way before so why can't it be extended to people wfh, just to sit in the same room?
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:20 - Jun 29 with 1180 viewsDubtractor

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:39 - Jun 29 by StokieBlue

SB

I'm in the same ball park as you and paz on this topic.

Home working when everyone is at home functions just about OK, though with increasing issues around team cohesion.

Hybrid working is clearly the future, but I think some ground rules around office/meeting attendance. My organisation is wrestling with this now and its not going to be easy at all to find the right balance.

Also agree with grizzly's point on productivity, I've never worked as hard as I have over the last 15 months. I know that my colleagues all feel the same too.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:22 - Jun 29 with 1164 viewsSteve_M

It's not really a surprise to see GB News following the anti-expert, anti-fact approach of large parts of the media that crystallised over Brexit but is also behind the anti-lockdown stuff.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:22 - Jun 29 with 1165 viewsElderGrizzly

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:20 - Jun 29 by Dubtractor

I'm in the same ball park as you and paz on this topic.

Home working when everyone is at home functions just about OK, though with increasing issues around team cohesion.

Hybrid working is clearly the future, but I think some ground rules around office/meeting attendance. My organisation is wrestling with this now and its not going to be easy at all to find the right balance.

Also agree with grizzly's point on productivity, I've never worked as hard as I have over the last 15 months. I know that my colleagues all feel the same too.

To be clear, i’m not expecting everyone to be home forever.

Hybrid will be the norm, just the % of the balance will vary significantly
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:24 - Jun 29 with 1161 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Will this 'improved productivity ' take into account the plebs losing employment in the service sector?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:26 - Jun 29 with 1154 viewsDubtractor

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:22 - Jun 29 by ElderGrizzly

To be clear, i’m not expecting everyone to be home forever.

Hybrid will be the norm, just the % of the balance will vary significantly

I get that, and agree with your main gripe that certain parts of our media are happy to conflate home working and furlough to portray the public sector as lazy.

Mrs Dub is a teacher, and I work in local government. We are basically Mr and Mrs anti christ to these people!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:30 - Jun 29 with 1142 viewsCotty

Similarly, get this lot talking about Universities and see the hate fly. The culture war is in full swing still.
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:32 - Jun 29 with 1118 viewsitfcjoe

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:30 - Jun 29 by Cotty

Similarly, get this lot talking about Universities and see the hate fly. The culture war is in full swing still.

It's because it is all they have - there is nothing fact based, or policy based that they have much traction on so just about getting people riled up by spreading falsehoods

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:42 - Jun 29 with 1072 viewseireblue

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 07:57 - Jun 29 by DanTheMan

Hello private sector worker here.

Pre-pandemic our entire business was WFH. We have an optional office in London a few people can use if they wish. Once the pandemic is over we will have regional monthly meetups as we have workers all over this country and also in Spain.

Another private sector bod here, that has worked from home for over 10 years.

You don’t even need an office if people do need to meet in person.

The last team meeting pre-pandemic I had was in Mallorca. Cheaper than London.
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:50 - Jun 29 with 1022 viewsElderGrizzly

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:42 - Jun 29 by eireblue

Another private sector bod here, that has worked from home for over 10 years.

You don’t even need an office if people do need to meet in person.

The last team meeting pre-pandemic I had was in Mallorca. Cheaper than London.

Again, pre-pandemic of course, but we our last big team meeting was in Dubai for the same reason.

Cost wise, it was cheaper than holding in London when 50%+ of the team are overseas.

I thought the pandemic had broken the ‘myth’ that WFH was just slacking. Clearly not.
GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:52 - Jun 29 with 1016 viewsElderGrizzly

GB News and their viewers don’t like civil servants apparently… on 08:24 - Jun 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

Will this 'improved productivity ' take into account the plebs losing employment in the service sector?

The ‘plebs’ have done very well in the commuter towns of course with huge uplift in food sector.

But yes, there is going to be a shift in jobs in big cities
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024